Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
slf4j-log4j12 IS vulnerable. This writes your slf4j logging messages out using log4j. it has a log4j dependency because you are using log4j for the actual log writing which is the vulnerable part.

log4j-over-slf4j is NOT vulnerable. This is a shim that exposes a log4j api façade that translates log4j api calls to slf4j calls. It DOES NOT have any real log4j dependencies, so if you are seeing real log4j dependencies you are probably vulnerable, either because you arent using the shim and are using slf4j-log4j12, or because you are using the shim but then logging out via log4j anyways (idk why you would do this).

if you are actually seeing a real log4j dependency in your project then you probably arent using the bridge/shim and need to look at whats going on there a little more closely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

altho to be clear im talking about the shim that translates the log4j api to slf4j api and NOT the log4j appender for slf4j that takes the slf4j output and writes it out via log4j.

log4j -> slf4j = fine
slf4j -> log4j = bad

both exist so its possible your scanner is picking up the later

nah we only use the first one (i double-checked), it's just flagging on log4j-api which is needed by the log4j->slf4j bridge so it can impersonate log4j properly. tool's just being overly broad, meh

e: hm i swear log4j-api (and only api) was needed for this to work but maybe not

e2: okay so whatever's written against log4j needs log4j-api (and only that), but the log4j->slf4j bridge itself doesn't need it

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 14, 2021

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh wait, im looking at log4j 1.2 over slf4j. disregard lmao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ok yeah that makes more sense. the log4j-api 2 itself is probably not vulnerable so its fine. lmao i'm just now realizing i dont have log4j 2 anywhere since i moved to slf4j way before it became common.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

just found this thread, my week has been extra fun so far because, in addition to immediate mitigation/remediation of the actually vulnerable versions, our infosec org required yesterday that all software using log4j 1.x also be removed by eod today.

they only backed down on that requirement earlier today.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

this is not an “invalid unicode character”, and converting it to I is correct behavior

the idea that this could ever have been fixed by filtering out bad patterns is such a typical lovely enterprise programmer mindset that i bet this dude works for a major international financial institution

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

carry on then posted:

just found this thread, my week has been extra fun so far because, in addition to immediate mitigation/remediation of the actually vulnerable versions, our infosec org required yesterday that all software using log4j 1.x also be removed by eod today.

they only backed down on that requirement earlier today.

does boris johnson moonlight as your ciso

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

does boris johnson moonlight as your ciso
he keeps spawning child processes, i'd assume so

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Chris Knight posted:

he keeps spawning child processes, i'd assume so

orphaned child processes if some stories I've been told about a few of his kids are true. Fucker doesn't pay child support.

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

:getin:
code:
 (?i)\$\{[${}:\p{L}0-9]*?-?[jϳјⅉj𝐣𝑗𝒋𝒿𝓳𝔧𝕛𝖏𝗃𝗷𝘫𝙟𝚓]\}?[${}:\p{L}0-9]*?-?[Nnոռ𝐧𝑛𝒏𝓃𝓷𝔫𝕟𝖓𝗇𝗻𝘯𝙣𝚗\}?
lol Unicode fail https://regex101.com/r/HGaf6k/1

Sarah Problem fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 14, 2021

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sarah Problem posted:

code:
 (?i)\$\{[${}:\p{L}0-9]*?-?[jϳјⅉj𝐣𝑗𝒋𝒿𝓳𝔧𝕛𝖏𝗃𝗷𝘫𝙟𝚓]\}?[${}:\p{L}0-9]*?-?[Nnոռ𝐧𝑛𝒏𝓃𝓷𝔫𝕟𝖓𝗇𝗻𝘯𝙣𝚗\}?

Nnոռ𝐧𝑛𝒏𝓃𝓷𝔫𝕟𝖓𝗇𝗻𝘯𝙣𝚗ice

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

today I learned about homoglyphs

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Sarah Problem posted:

code:

ư̶͙͕̺͓̈́̅͐͒̈́̾̏͝ͅn̴̠͎̮̥̼͙͎̩̼̟̒̌͛̾̎̈͂͆͝i̸̡̡͓̖̱̊̏͋͆́̋͝ͅc̸͍͉͎̃͆̾̈́ͅo̷̜̣̗͈̝͕̳̭͊̀͜͜͝d̵̢̧̢͖̭̖̖͛͜͜ͅè̴̡̡̨͇̙̜͆̊̏̓̋ ̷̣̪̏̈̑͊̿̍̇͗͛̚͜í̸̠̤́̈́͝ͅs̶̹̈͗͋̾͂̃̽̚͜ ̴̛̠̖̦̗̒̀ͅͅf̴̧̨̥̣̘̦̠̀̾̃̔̓̊̚̕a̷̦̮̭̲̞̼̝̲͌̽̐̆̀̍͘ͅṋ̵͔͎̬̘̗̃t̷̨̺̼͙͓͚̮͎̔́͑̕̕ä̵͙̲̮̖̣̯̮͖́͠͠ş̴̛͈̩͈̻͇̝̏̾͂̄̇͝ͅt̴̹̞͛̓̌̒̽̑̏͐͝ï̴̧͙̯͉̬͚̰̤͙͒̇͠c̷͇̩̈́̐͐̕

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Welp the first patch didnt take. HIT IT AGAIN BOYS.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

*firing a ghostbusters proton pack at the server rn*

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

*firing a ghostbusters proton pack at the server rn*

Please fire it all the servers, tia.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ZeusCannon posted:

Welp the first patch didnt take. HIT IT AGAIN BOYS.

Yeah, this is fun

https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2021-45046

quote:

It was found that the fix to address CVE-2021-44228 in Apache Log4j 2.15.0 was incomplete in certain non-default configurations. This could allows attackers with control over Thread Context Map (MDC) input data when the logging configuration uses a non-default Pattern Layout with either a Context Lookup (for example, $${ctx:loginId}) or a Thread Context Map pattern (%X, %mdc, or %MDC) to craft malicious input data using a JNDI Lookup pattern resulting in a denial of service (DOS) attack.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
it’s Java. buffer overruns can’t happen. ergo, it is secure.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one
Oh dear, why has this binary in my mactex installation got the string "org.apache.logging.log4j" in it. Thanks java, it's 2am, now I have to work out what the gently caress that is.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
log forgé

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

When at first you don't succeed

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

all that work… I have to do it all again. loving hell

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sarah Problem posted:

all that work… I have to do it all again. loving hell

just think of it as speedrunning

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Lain Iwakura posted:

a lot of folks have the impression that regex can be used for everything
if that was true, regex could be used to fix mistakes made in multiplayer vi

mystes
May 31, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

if that was true, regex could be used to fix mistakes made in multiplayer vi
What? No, nevermind, I don't want to know

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lmao my boss did his postgrad with the guy that wrote the original log4j. I just looked him up and he left the project 4 years ago but has updated his Twitter profile to say "2.x is nothing to do with me!"

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

So he's responsible for CVE-2019-17571?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mystes posted:

What? No, nevermind, I don't want to know
it's this but for graybeards

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

cinci zoo sniper posted:

just think of it as speedrunning

be sure to half-press on deploy to maintain full core utilization

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

jar wars: return of the jndi

mystes
May 31, 2006

Penisface posted:

jar wars: return of the jndi
log4binks.jarjar

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
https://www.npr.org/2021/12/14/1064247651/kronos-hack-paychecks

Over/under this was log4j

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Please continue to patch our systems also we can't pay you till you do

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
No we will not increase your budget

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the lack of payments will continue until security improves

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep
in the midst of the log4j stuff, my ciso decided to schedule a pen test and not tell anyone on the team so now I have that to deal with too.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

quote:

"It is likely the attacker had been in Kronos for weeks launching the attack before Log4J was reported. That doesn't mean the two aren't connected. But the best evidence right now says otherwise," he told NPR.

This seems like the worst of both worlds tbh

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mustache Ride posted:

So he's responsible for CVE-2019-17571?

lol

https://twitter.com/AndyVic14/status/1469938114617647114?s=20

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

today I also learned that our support team (who are the ones that manage service accounts etc. Under "segregation of duties") have been storing the credentials in confluence so they didn't have to go ask the password vault owners for access every time :classiclol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ive moved as many services as possible to managed service accounts cause password management sucks