Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shaggar posted:

ive moved as many services as possible to managed service accounts cause password management sucks

That's what I want to do but nobody seems to know how do actually do it and I'm not allowed access to anything to find out.

I didn't think they were dumb enough to just put the passwords on confluence though jfc

e: gently caress it I'm gonna go talk to the weird AD guys about this because I'm sick of dealing with this

I've also thrown the team doing this under a bus because they should know better

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Shaggar posted:

ive moved as many services as possible to managed service accounts cause password management sucks

Getting vendors to support gmsa's has been a nightmare though. It's such a good feature that most vendors can't handle because they suck at Windows services.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

That's what I want to do but nobody seems to know how do actually do it and I'm not allowed access to anything to find out.

I didn't think they were dumb enough to just put the passwords on confluence though jfc

e: gently caress it I'm gonna go talk to the weird AD guys about this because I'm sick of dealing with this

I've also thrown the team doing this under a bus because they should know better

service accounts are pretty easy and the extra few steps you have to do for setup are absolutely worth it. the only real problem is if you run into a UI that doesnt support credentials without a password. The biggest problem being task scheduler. IIs and windows services dont have a problem with it tho.

the other thing you need to remember is when granting access, service account object types are not selected by default in the standard windows account search UI.

ewiley posted:

Getting vendors to support gmsa's has been a nightmare though. It's such a good feature that most vendors can't handle because they suck at Windows services.

ive found that even if they dont support it explicitly, many times you can force gmsas in there somehow. like if they install a windows service you can change the credentials after the fact in the normal windows UI.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the official microsoft docs for service accounts are incredibly verbose and have a bunch of stuff about security best practices unrelated to GMSAs. things like "for fucks sake dont give service accounts domain admin". thats not GMSA specific at all and its correct advice, but it inflates the docs which i think may put people off from using them cause its alot of reading.

the reality is you set up the KDS root key once (may already be done): https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/security/group-managed-service-accounts/create-the-key-distribution-services-kds-root-key

and then you can start using new-ADServiceAccount to start creating accounts.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
managed service accounts work to a point but the amount of software out there that cannot use them because of some development decision is just the worst

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

the lack of payments will continue until security improves

This is very good.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

yes

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Lain Iwakura posted:

managed service accounts work to a point but the amount of software out there that cannot use them because of some development decision is just the worst

this but also theyre a real pain in the rear end to set up, there needs to be a "new gmsa" button in aduc

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG posted:

this but also theyre a real pain in the rear end to set up, there needs to be a "new gmsa" button in aduc

eh it’s just a couple of PS commands, I like that they’re set and forget.

OTOH not even all of Microsoft’s own services support them, you can’t restrict certificate issuer agents in ADCS using gmsas, which makes it difficult to run ADFS and WHFB with automatic cert issuance. Now I’ll grant that this is a corner of a corner case, but still

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2021/12/a-deep-dive-into-nso-zero-click.html

quote:

Earlier this year, Citizen Lab managed to capture an NSO iMessage-based zero-click exploit being used to target a Saudi activist. In this two-part blog post series we will describe for the first time how an in-the-wild zero-click iMessage exploit works.

Based on our research and findings, we assess this to be one of the most technically sophisticated exploits we've ever seen, further demonstrating that the capabilities NSO provides rival those previously thought to be accessible to only a handful of nation states.

The vulnerability discussed in this blog post was fixed on September 13, 2021 in iOS 14.8 as CVE-2021-30860.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wow that's crazy

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I'll be honest, I'm not smart enough to understand all of the technical bits of this, but "the capabilities NSO provides rival those previously thought to be accessible to only a handful of nation states," strikes me as an odd statement. Isn't NSO heavily associated with Mossad and IDF Intelligence? What reason is there to think they *wouldn't* have access to this level of sophistication? They basically are an extension of a technologically sophisticated nation state, unmoored of any of the pesky optics or diplomatic issues that come with managing cybersecurity for a nation state.

mystes
May 31, 2006

post hole digger posted:

I'll be honest, I'm not smart enough to understand all of the technical bits of this, but "the capabilities NSO provides rival those previously thought to be accessible to only a handful of nation states," strikes me as an odd statement. Isn't NSO heavily associated with Mossad and IDF Intelligence? What reason is there to think they *wouldn't* have access to this level of sophistication? They basically are an extension of a technologically sophisticated nation state, unmoored of any of the pesky optics or diplomatic issues that come with managing cybersecurity for a nation state.
I think the point is less "we wouldn't have expected NSO to have these capabilities" and "now that NSO is providing these capabilities they're available to anyone with the money"

If they're making exploits that are this crazy, then probably anyone with sufficient money can buy access to anything at any time (rather than just a couple countries) which kind of sucks.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i think “previously” is meant as “prior to thr existence of organizations like the nso group”, but it’s definitely unclear

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
one hell of a buried lede

quote:

JBIG2 doesn't have scripting capabilities, but when combined with a vulnerability, it does have the ability to emulate circuits of arbitrary logic gates operating on arbitrary memory. So why not just use that to build your own computer architecture and script that!? That's exactly what this exploit does. Using over 70,000 segment commands defining logical bit operations, they define a small computer architecture with features such as registers and a full 64-bit adder and comparator which they use to search memory and perform arithmetic operations. It's not as fast as Javascript, but it's fundamentally computationally equivalent.

just casually building a CPU from scratch using a loving PDF image compression format

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

JOP: JBIG2 Oriented Programming

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

pseudorandom name posted:

JOP: JBIG2 Oriented Programming

can log4j run doom?

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
if you inject the right payload into the jvm then absolutely

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
https://twitter.com/landaire/status/1471173067703341061

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
easy there, quick draw

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

voted 5

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

can log4j run doom?

https://twitter.com/gegy1000/status/1469714451716882434

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

one hell of a buried lede

just casually building a CPU from scratch using a loving PDF image compression format

this is sick as hell and also a great example of why computer security is impossible

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

redleader posted:

this is sick as hell and also a great example of why computer security is impossible

Just don't make your decoder turing-complete.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
technically i think it isn’t turing complete because it’s single-pass through its instructions. they just gave it a shitload of instructions

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

still it’s worth noting that computer security can be a bit easier if your show_jpeg method is not allowed to functionally emulate a general-purpose programming language

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

rjmccall posted:

technically i think it isn’t turing complete because it’s single-pass through its instructions. they just gave it a shitload of instructions

a shitload of instructions that created a turing-complete virtual CPU that can rewrite its own memory, which i think means it's turing complete in a very convoluted way the same way like, conway's game of life is

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you can rewrite the decompressor's pointer to the next transformation it's supposed to apply, you can implement a loop, and then you have universal computation.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

didn't some maniac write a CPU in Excel using Boolean operations and then, idk, cell colouring or something?

E: actually maybe it was Factorio or one of those other autism simulator games

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 16, 2021

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

it's one of the most complicated VMs to be found deployed in an exploit, but it's not that groundbreaking as a concept. the toolchain already exists commercially in the form of game drm it's just generalising the VM itself so that it can be redeployed given primitives created in a generic environment. creating the VM is where all the initial work went, and when given the primitives in the environment to work with it was ported across

the barrier to doing this is cost to develop the vm in the first place, but the professional environment behind this means there isn't a single exploit writer from vuln to payload. each part is its own team that are r&ding techniques that can be used interoperably. the deployment of this just means they have enough financial and technical capital that they were confident they could replace the part in their chain when it was found

now how they created the primitives is technically interesting and really what p0 are focusing on, but i wouldn't get starstruck at seeing a proprietary interpreter and scripting language deployed that's just a sign of how mature the tech is getting. the existence of this vm in their malware isn't news, i definitely recall hearing about it before just not analysed to the level p0 thankfully have

and it's here that i realise no one ever cared about the distinction between vm and scripting environment in malware and it's just been used interchangably

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
"Turing Complete" is a really cool game

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

it's one of the most complicated VMs to be found deployed in an exploit, but it's not that groundbreaking as a concept. the toolchain already exists commercially in the form of game drm it's just generalising the VM itself so that it can be redeployed given primitives created in a generic environment. creating the VM is where all the initial work went, and when given the primitives in the environment to work with it was ported across

the barrier to doing this is cost to develop the vm in the first place, but the professional environment behind this means there isn't a single exploit writer from vuln to payload. each part is its own team that are r&ding techniques that can be used interoperably. the deployment of this just means they have enough financial and technical capital that they were confident they could replace the part in their chain when it was found

now how they created the primitives is technically interesting and really what p0 are focusing on, but i wouldn't get starstruck at seeing a proprietary interpreter and scripting language deployed that's just a sign of how mature the tech is getting. the existence of this vm in their malware isn't news, i definitely recall hearing about it before just not analysed to the level p0 thankfully have

and it's here that i realise no one ever cared about the distinction between vm and scripting environment in malware and it's just been used interchangably

I think people are more impressed by the whole "built it out of PDF-image-compression-derived NAND gates like some hosed up minecraft redstone computer" thing than the "it has a scripting language" thing

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

idk.. linku your GitHub I guess?

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
would be cool to see what you've been doing to advance the state of the art

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

Holy poo poo! They built their own CPU architecture from a ancient pdf image converter using a memory buffer overflow. That’s loving insane

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Oh great, a novell netware 4 client running in a vm of windows 98 is considered a business critical component. :suicide101:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

If you're seeing people creating interpreters for exploits by abusing compression algorithm instructions or whatever all the time then cool for you I guess, and maybe you should post a comment on the Project Zero page telling them that this actually isn't that sophisticated.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

fins posted:

Oh great, a novell netware 4 client running in a vm of windows 98 is considered a business critical component. :suicide101:

elevator seeking

yeah to the parking lot get me the gently caress outta here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

today I also learned that our support team (who are the ones that manage service accounts etc. Under "segregation of duties") have been storing the credentials in confluence so they didn't have to go ask the password vault owners for access every time :classiclol:

it's impossible to find anything you don't already know the location of in Confluence so that seems pretty safe