Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

side_burned posted:

I can not think of the last time when I looked at Rotten Tomatoes and saw the audience score lower than the critics score. MOTUR is the anti Snyder.

Things that piss lovely nerds off (Captain Marvel, The Last Jedi, Ghostbusters 2016, He-Man) get reviewbombed into oblivion despite having stellar (or in Ghostbuster's case adequate) critics scores. It's going to be another splinter in the worst kind of peoples' brains until the day they die.

tsob posted:

Kevin Smith and Marc Bernardin spoke a bit about the writing of He-Man: Revelations in response to a fan question on this week's Fatman Beyond show, revealing some stuff that people in the thread might find of interest. Basically just saying that they had some specific things they had to include per producer instruction. Which included showing more of Adam as Adam instead of He-Man, taking both He-Man and Skeletor out of the picture for a while to allow the rest of the characters some shine and making Teela the Sorceress by season's end according to Smith. Which makes it all the funnier that people are railing against him for making GBS threads on the show's name by doing things he had to do. He speaks a bit about the writing room, and how things like Orco and Beast-Man evolved over time during production for a few minutes, with some input from Marc (who was also a writer on the show).

This is hilarious though. I wonder when he's going to get around to doing commentary videos for Part 2 like he did with Part 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Kevin Smith is really incistand about MOTUR being a direct sequal to original series but my head cannon right now is that Revelations is in continuity with Princesses of Power; jock lesbian Adora would balance out twink Adam really well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, could it be possible to reconcile Adora’s backstory from SPoP with her being Adam’s sister as in the original? If I recall correctly all we really know is that she’s a descendant of the First Ones and Shadow Weaver found her as a baby (though in this continuity “Grayskull” was the name of her predecessor’s squad).

In any case, I kind of want to see that crossover Smith suggested in an earlier interview come to pass one day.

Though given some similar character designs if anything I’d personally count Revelation as more a sequel to the 2002 series rather than the 80’s original

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 16, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

side_burned posted:

Kevin Smith is really incistand about MOTUR being a direct sequal to original series but my head cannon right now is that Revelations is in continuity with Princesses of Power; jock lesbian Adora would balance out twink Adam really well.

I imagine it's less that he cares personally that it's a sequel to the old show and more that that was literally his mandate from Mattel/Netflix when making the show and so it just makes sense to him that way, as well as just being how he's used to thinking of it.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, could it be possible to reconcile Adora’s backstory from SPoP with her being Adam’s sister as in the original? If I recall correctly all we really know is that she’s a descendant of the First Ones and Shadow Weaver found her as a baby (though in this continuity “Grayskull” was the name of her predecessor’s squad).

Its doable. In Princesses of Power, Hordak kidnaped Adora when he was testing some portal stuff. As for Mara's back story you could make her relative/descendent of King Greyskul or student/lieutenant who he had lead part of Eternia's population as back up plan in case he lost or Maria's squad just thinking he was cool guy with a cool name.

Like I said it my head cannon until contradicted.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 16, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

side_burned posted:

Its doable. In Princesses of Power, Hordak kidnaped Adora when he was testing some portal stuff. As for Mara's back story you could make her relative/descendent of King Greyskul or student/lieutenant who he had lead part of Eternia's population as back up plan in case he lost or Maria's squad just thinking he was cool guy with a cool name.

Mara being the Teela to MOTUR Greyskull's Adam would be a cool idea.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

side_burned posted:

That actually sounds like it could work (the name had to come from somewhere after all and I don’t believe there’s anything in SPoP that suggests Eternia doesn’t exist).

Plus, I mostly just want to see the two casts interact (for example, imagine Entrapta meeting Duncan or Andra)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Larryb posted:

That actually sounds like it could work (the name had to come from somewhere after all and I don’t believe there’s anything in SPoP that suggests Eternia doesn’t exist).

Plus, I mostly just want to see the two casts interact (for example, imagine Entrapta meeting Duncan or Andra)

Imagine Entrapta meeting Motherbox.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Either way she’d basically be in heaven over there. I also kind of want to see SPoP Adora and/or Catra interact with Skeletor (who despite the first season’s ending I highly doubt is out of commission by any stretch).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Larryb posted:

Either way she’d basically be in heaven over there. I also kind of want to see SPoP Adora and/or Catra interact with Skeletor (who despite the first season’s ending I highly doubt is out of commission by any stretch).

He was still Skelegod when He-Man threw him like a meteor, so yeah, he's fine. Beastman is probably fine after his fall too, for the same reason. He had some of the power when he fell, so he probably just shrugged it off once he hit, but was out of the action because he had no easy way back up.

Edit: Oh yeah, he ended up being consumed by Motherboard; forgot about that. I doubt that'll just be shrugged off, but he'll presumably survive it regardless. He'll probably just be Techno-Skeletor for a while before seeking Adam's help again to defeat Hordak. Which is kind of a weird pattern to set, if it does happen.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 16, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

People thought Skeletor was going to be turned into his New Adventures cyborg Skeletor form by Motherboard, but they cut away from it before we saw his transformation finish. Maybe we'll see it in Season 2 if it gets made.

I was chatting with a friend after watching Part 2 about crossover potentials between Revelation and PoP, and I mentioned how Kevin Smith said that if anything were gonna happen he'd want Noelle Stevenson and her crew back to handle the She-Ra side of things, and I said it would be pretty neat if everyone had the soft pastel PoP style while they were on Etheria, and the Revelations high-detail style when they were on Eternia.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

People thought Skeletor was going to be turned into his New Adventures cyborg Skeletor form by Motherboard, but they cut away from it before we saw his transformation finish. Maybe we'll see it in Season 2 if it gets made.

I was chatting with a friend after watching Part 2 about crossover potentials between Revelation and PoP, and I mentioned how Kevin Smith said that if anything were gonna happen he'd want Noelle Stevenson and her crew back to handle the She-Ra side of things, and I said it would be pretty neat if everyone had the soft pastel PoP style while they were on Etheria, and the Revelations high-detail style when they were on Eternia.

That’d be awesome honestly.

Though come to think of it, didn’t Hordak make a face turn of sorts by the end of the latter series and Prime himself was defeated? I wonder how they could rationalize that with what we see at the end of Revelation/in the tie-in comic.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 16, 2021

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

nine-gear crow posted:

it would be pretty neat if everyone had the soft pastel PoP style while they were on Etheria, and the Revelations high-detail style when they were on Eternia.

That would rule.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Any crossovers would probably have to involve Mara and be about the events that led up to her deciding to gently caress up portal transportation if you wanted an adventure that had anything to do with fighting Hordak.

So, not the actual characters from SPoP's main storyline, but characters we haven't seen yet (except Mara) that are just similar to the ones we know from the show.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

nine-gear crow posted:

As a matter of fact he did, eventually:

I really appreciate Smith's attitude here, he's like the anti-internet nerd.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Enjoyed the second season (part?) of the new series.

Skeletor in a lot of ways reminds me of the Monarch in Venture Brothers. He's so obsessed with killing his arch nemesis he's squandering all these opportunities he has with his newfound omnipotence. What's going to happen when Adam is dead for good? Is a good question he's asked.

Didn't care for Lynn's backstory though. I preferred the one from the 2000s series, where Skeletor was Randors brother who got his face melted in an assassination plot gone wrong. In that backstory Skeletor was at least a handsome guy up to that point and it made more sense Lynn would fall for him back when she was young, dumb, and full of Eternium. She had also helped restore him to the point he's at in the series. Here, it feels more like simple Stockholm syndrome and her making out with his skull face was gross.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Watching the last episode again. Sarah Michele Geller really starts channeling Buffy during the sequence with where Teela becomes the Sorceress.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I really appreciate Smith's attitude here, he's like the anti-internet nerd.

Yeah, seeing the way he navigated this poo poo tempest of nostalgia bro gnashing and wailing tears of piss, actually earned him a lot of respect from me when before I actually didn’t care all that much for Kevin Smith as a person and a filmmaker.

Then again this is the same dude who infiltrated a church group protest against Dogma to join them in trashing the film for shits and giggles, so that mindset has been there for a long while.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Welp tis the season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__8AYxrcUJo

edit: Huh second review popped up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFgcr1XKP38

side_burned fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 25, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I do have to admit that I'm a little pissed that they didn't give Melendy Britt a cameo in the most recent She-Ra remake. She's still got a really good voice.

It's not like she hasn't worked in a while: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0110068/

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, none of the 80’s actors made even a cameo in SPoP did they?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MOTU co-creator Mark Taylor has passed away:

https://toybook.com/masters-of-the-universe-designer-mark-taylor-has-died/

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

:sadwave: Good journey.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Here's a picture from the Netflix Geeked Twitter page:

It appears to be from the (unannounced?) season 2 of MOTU Revelations, given Skeletor doesn't wear Horde clothes in season 1 if I remember correctly.

Speaking of, there hasn’t been any further word recently on Season 2 of the CG series yet has there?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 30, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Here's a picture from the Netflix Geeked Twitter page:

It appears to be from the (unannounced?) season 2 of MOTU Revelations, given Skeletor doesn't wear Horde clothes in season 1 if I remember correctly.

Speaking of, there hasn’t been any further word recently on Season 2 of the CG series yet has there?

That's from Evil-Lyn's backstory flashback. That version's referred to as "Traveler" Skeletor, wink wink. As in "this is from when Skeletor was working for the Horde, but we can't talk about it... yet... maybe." It's from the interregnum period between when he picked Lyn up as a lackey but before he told Hordak to gently caress off and went independent.

Still a good sign for the show's future. They've disappeared Cowboy Bebop from the Geeked account, yet MOTUR still keeps making appearances.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah nevermind then. But yeah, I’ve got a good feeling that Revelation Season 2 is going to happen at some point (one of the higher ups at Netflix is reportedly a big MOTU fan for one thing).

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

nine-gear crow posted:

That's from Evil-Lyn's backstory flashback. That version's referred to as "Traveler" Skeletor, wink wink. As in "this is from when Skeletor was working for the Horde, but we can't talk about it... yet... maybe." It's from the interregnum period between when he picked Lyn up as a lackey but before he told Hordak to gently caress off and went independent.

Still a good sign for the show's future. They've disappeared Cowboy Bebop from the Geeked account, yet MOTUR still keeps making appearances.

That's the same outfit as he wears in the flashback, but I don't think we actually see him enthroned like that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Anshu posted:

That's the same outfit as he wears in the flashback, but I don't think we actually see him enthroned like that.

Yeah we do. It's near the end of the flashback when he gives Lyn her wandstaff for the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB9DS1WaFXQ&t=112s

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

I stand corrected.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've been watching the show and drawing on my computer so here's some doodles

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Azza Bamboo posted:

entrapta.jpg

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I think it'd be cool to pull Angella out of the space between spaces. With Micah alive, Adora and Catra together, and a Hordak lookalike walking around being a goofball, I don't think she'll believe that she's returned to the right reality.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Azza Bamboo posted:

So, do you think Adora lives up to Catra? From my flexible friends with big dicks, I've heard it is "more like sucking dick than getting your dick sucked".

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, I believe there’s a part in SPoP where Catra mentions that Shadow Weaver found her when she was young as well. Sort of makes me wonder where she came from originally (we never see any other cat people in the series as far as I recall).

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like that is part of the discarded "Princesses of Power" theme. Focusing on core characters obviously worked. But there is an alternate universe where it is more of an ensemble magic girl show.

And those roots run deep. The only other time we see a cat person is in a freeze-frame with other princesses as a hologram from the Mara time (maybe? There was an unreliable narrator there).

Given the "Sow" scandal and Catra's BIPoC coding (and similarly racial coding for some of the 'discarded' princesses) that's probably a good thing. It's a case of the staff going, "We'd like to go this direction and we tried -- but we clearly don't know how and don't have the time/budget to figure it out." Politely backing down and abandoning those themes to focus on the ones that work is a much better choice than doubling down.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
There's an alternate world where instead of The Horde getting focus, it all went to Frosta, Mermista, and Perfuma. I don't think I want to live in that world.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I *adore* Vella Lovell and feel she was underused in She-Ra.

I also feel the show was better for that decision.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vitruvian Manic posted:

I feel like that is part of the discarded "Princesses of Power" theme. Focusing on core characters obviously worked. But there is an alternate universe where it is more of an ensemble magic girl show.

And those roots run deep. The only other time we see a cat person is in a freeze-frame with other princesses as a hologram from the Mara time (maybe? There was an unreliable narrator there).

Given the "Sow" scandal and Catra's BIPoC coding (and similarly racial coding for some of the 'discarded' princesses) that's probably a good thing. It's a case of the staff going, "We'd like to go this direction and we tried -- but we clearly don't know how and don't have the time/budget to figure it out." Politely backing down and abandoning those themes to focus on the ones that work is a much better choice than doubling down.

I got into this show late, what’s the “Sow” scandal?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
one of the things I love about this show is the threatening, foreboding and often solemn tone of many of its cold opens —then "We're on the edge of greatness!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To be fair, Warriors is an awesome theme (if not one of the best in the franchise in my opinion). But yeah, it is a funny bit of tonal whiplash

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 2, 2022