Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Chronojam posted:

The gun pops itself, and/or refuses to engage an enemy who walks right past it and then looks at it in confusion, incredibly often.

To be very clear: It's often not actually taking damage, it just explodes on its own in the middle of clear terrain with no enemies around.

The first problem is definitely a thing that happens. Prox grenades alleviate it but don't stop it. Elevation, presence or lack of (hostile) smoke, and lighting conditions all seem to impact turret function, but I find them very powerful and useful nonetheless.

I have never had my turret just up and explode for no reason. It was always taking enemy fire. It can be one-shot by some weapons, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it will sometimes upon placing just explode and burn your cooldown, usually because of issues with terrain

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

AA blows. I probably play 80% of my time as AA, and sometimes it works and other times its just frustrating playing the same ‘lock on, fire, flares, pilot runs away’ game over and over.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

toggle posted:

It’s 15 minutes long!!!! Wtf
what's up gamers! which number is more fun?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

toggle posted:

AA blows. I probably play 80% of my time as AA, and sometimes it works and other times its just frustrating playing the same ‘lock on, fire, flares, pilot runs away’ game over and over.

do you have the soflam? its indirect but you can just paint the target every once in a while and usually someone will take a shot with the regular launcher.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

gently caress i love playing as Rao and using his hack ability. I’m supporting my team by spotting & debuffing enemies AND trolling people who have spent hours in vehicles :allears:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

a good chopper pilot will always have their cooldown up to deal with stinger AA, but you are massively limiting their effectiveness and hoping that a wildcat or aircraft deals with them. smoke grenades are good to limit their effectiveness and to res whoever they kill

against bad chopper pilots, 2 players with stingers completely fucks them because they don't respect the AA and they linger too long after burning flares

a really really really bad pilot of course dies to a single player who can somehow shoot 3 rockets in a row at them which happens uh kind of often

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i think youre hosed and can't really do much if the enemy team has like 3 chopper pilots who know to maintain cooldowns and just roam and kill your aircraft though lol

if you had a coordinated squad you could all run ntw-50s + smokes and hope you shoot them out of the sky :shrug:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

comedyblissoption posted:

it will sometimes upon placing just explode and burn your cooldown, usually because of issues with terrain

Hasn't happened to me. I wonder if this is a console vs PC inconsistency? There is terrain I can't put it down on, never had it just explode.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

TenementFunster posted:

lol who watches this poo poo

Yeah, how am I supposed to stay focused without his face in the corner of the screen reacting to content, random memes, and close ups of his face when he uses a quip every 5 seconds?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Kesper North posted:

Hasn't happened to me. I wonder if this is a console vs PC inconsistency? There is terrain I can't put it down on, never had it just explode.

It'll 100% just explode, even on reasonable terrain while you're bored and setting up for the enemy to advance. Other times, it's quite happy to float several feet off the ground. In fact I've had other people with me witness this happening both ways, so it's not just confusion about a rocket I didn't see.

I have a fun video clip from tonight where it was tracking somebody, fired a couple bursts at a distance of about five feet, then gave up when they stopped moving and returned to idle. It eventually decided to target somebody else who started shooting it, so it popped a couple shots in return at a distance of about ten feet but then just held fire.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, the Wildcat with anti-vehicle missiles and the biggest cannon just one-sidedly wrecks tanks (or any vehicle). Even just the cannon alone usually does, but if the tank is accurate they can at least be a danger to you. With the anti-vehicle missiles it's just completely one-sided; launching your two missiles either kills or comes very close to killing a tank from full health, it seems (and unlike aircraft, tanks very rarely seem to avoid them). It seems like it's usually worth the trade-off (unless it's a map with a large number of helicopters), since you can still fight air things with just the cannon.

I think I've finally settled on the PKP as my favorite gun. It's the only one I've used where I win more often than I lose in "direct" engagements (where an enemy and me see each other around the same time). And sometimes even in situations where I was sure I'd die and the other player got the first couple hits on me. With most other guns, I usually lose in such an exchange. I'm uncannily bad at hitting moving targets with single shot guns. It's like I have some sort of anti-intuition where I always instinctively fire exactly when an enemy moves out of the way.

* btw if anyone wants to level up the jeep, you can just slaughter bots en masse with the minigun. I unlocked everything except the final cannon in just one single player breakthrough game.

toggle posted:

A lot of the time it seems like other players will blow their chaff load before you even fire the missile.

Today I started using the SOFLAM while my friend uses a rocket launcher, though, and that's been pretty effective.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Finally got to try a round of Conquest and Breakthrough on 64 player. I have mixed reactions. It's much less chaotic and feels more tactical. A squad can be way more effective at locking down a point. I think I still like 128 breakthrough more. Definitely highlights how weak a lot areas of the maps are and I did not get as big a framerate boost and I had expected. Kaleidoscope on conquest ended up feeling smaller yet more empty than most BF4 maps.

I think 128 would have been fine if it ran well and the maps were better but if they can't figure that out they should lean into the 64 player. That would give them more headroom to make the maps have more interesting features.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I also will frequently see sentries ignore obvious enemies, even ones walking right past the turret.

When I used them I mainly just did it for the spotting.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Sentries, at least when I last played, can also suffer the same hitreg issues players do lol

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

a good chopper pilot will always have their cooldown up to deal with stinger AA, but you are massively limiting their effectiveness and hoping that a wildcat or aircraft deals with them. smoke grenades are good to limit their effectiveness and to res whoever they kill

against bad chopper pilots, 2 players with stingers completely fucks them because they don't respect the AA and they linger too long after burning flares

a really really really bad pilot of course dies to a single player who can somehow shoot 3 rockets in a row at them which happens uh kind of often

Yeah that's the thing about playing AA. You very rarely get the endorphin hit of downing a chopper, but even just making them pop flares is radically changing their behavior, even if you don't really get credit for it.

You can kind of accomplish the same thing though with Sundance's grenades without burning your item slot. Her anti-armor grenades are invariably too slow to actually hit a chopper, but they still trigger "Missile Incoming" for the pilot and he has to gently caress off.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

You can kind of accomplish the same thing though with Sundance's grenades without burning your item slot. Her anti-armor grenades are invariably too slow to actually hit a chopper, but they still trigger "Missile Incoming" for the pilot and he has to gently caress off.

Just wait till you're in the pilot's position and an anti-armor grenade bugs and follows you across the map through flares

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

Yeah that's the thing about playing AA. You very rarely get the endorphin hit of downing a chopper, but even just making them pop flares is radically changing their behavior, even if you don't really get credit for it.

Considering you can now get points for forcing bailouts, they really should just give you some points for forcing a flare as well. Perhaps it'll get one of my 63 teammates to actually try and help me deal with the helicopter that keeps massacring us all the time :argh:

VVVV Yeah, jets are functionally untouchable from the ground unless they do something very silly like try to hover right over the objective. VVVV

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 16, 2021

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Making it your mission to ruin the skylords in your Wilcat can be pretty fun. With the proper equipment that thing still shreds helicopters. It can be difficult to take out jets because they can flee outside your effective range so fast though

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Definitely keep the AA cannons on the Wildcat because gently caress the lock-on + flare dance.

And if you ever want me to kill people as a passenger in your vehicle then don't equip that lame-rear end time delayed grenade launcher

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

You should get 5 points or something for acquiring a lock and then firing, just to give it even a tiny incentive for pubbies to do AA

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

I've been beating this drum for a while but honestly, just bring back Vehicle and Player damage point values. It's great positive micro feedback that makes a player keep doing that action for more dopamine which in turn encourages random pubbies to fire LMGs at helicopters and transports.

You'd think having a guy that made addictive mobile games as their Head Of Design that they'd have some understanding of this.

Edit: also again repeating myself but the point piñata of scrolling/pulsing numbers as point streaks come in is a tiny shot of dopamine every time in previous titles

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I got this game before I got a PS5, so I was stuck on the smaller maps and 64 players for awhile. I'm imagining the new 64 player modes are the same thing I was originally playing.

Honestly I prefer those maps, and still look for flags in weird locations on the bigger maps. Gonna have to jump on this when I get the chance.

Since I have the game for both PS4 and PS5 I think I can just load up the PS4 version and play on the smaller maps whenever I want, so I guess that's a hidden bonus. Though I swear they disabled all textures because the game looks like it came from the nineties a lot of the time.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

jisforjosh posted:

Edit: also again repeating myself but the point piñata of scrolling/pulsing numbers as point streaks come in is a tiny shot of dopamine every time in previous titles

Especially galling for me is the removal of squad points. I'm a middling player at gunplay, but would frequently be near the top of the leaderboard just by the usual heavy PTFOing, but a big chunk of those points came from taking squad lead role and constantly updating the attack and defend orders.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Especially galling for me is the removal of squad points. I'm a middling player at gunplay, but would frequently be near the top of the leaderboard just by the usual heavy PTFOing, but a big chunk of those points came from taking squad lead role and constantly updating the attack and defend orders.

Whatever you do, don't look up all the things that would give you points in BF4.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

This is something I miss as well. I usually spam the request order button because pubbie squad leaders don't even bother to put an order on 95% of the time.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

molotov grenade launcher is really overpowered on rush

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

I think of chopper pilots probably 80% of them will sit in stinger range until flares wear off and totally let you shoot two rockets in a row into them, 10% of them will either wave off or fly low to break the lock and get away, and 10% fly around a building in a circle so there's no way to actually get the missile to hit them aside from chasing them off the building to shoot them while parachuting AND guessing their flight direction correctly. (Especially on Hourglass and Kaleidoscope.)

The problem with just forcing flares, and SOFLAM, is that unless you're queueing with friends, you've got like a 1 in 4 chance that anyone is actually going to follow up. I really have no idea why so few people pack launchers when EVERYONE can pack them and there isn't much else worth putting in that slot.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 16, 2021

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Why aren't player icons on the minimap different if they're above or below you like...all previous games?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Whelp. I did it. I killed a tank with the sfar ap grenade. :getin:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Pharmaskittle posted:

I don't like the hero system because I literally only play angel, since there's no other way to give yourself armor between every engagement aside from wasting your gadget slot on the armor plate. A squirrel suit or sentry gun would be nice, but I feel like that 20 points of armor is the deciding factor so often when I can't avoid a fair 1 v 1 infantry shootout.
It's actually even worse now because with the new self-apply (which also has a WAY lower lockout delay than picking it up) it's way easier to throw a second plate on if you're just ducking behind cover or post-engagement, meaning that unless you get burned down from full health, he effectively has 140 health now.

Scarf Ace
Jul 21, 2006

keep it clean
theres a new seasonal event called attack of the elves today, and in a complete surprise to everyone it appears to be broken. Ive joined 6 games so far and every single one has been stuck with 0:00 on the scoreboard. I know we like to joke about dice not playtesting anything but lol. I guess we should be glad these people work with something as inconsequential as video games. can you imagine a dice developer being responsible for something actually important in society

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
People already melting down about skins in a temporary portal mode. Classic.

E: not here, but elsewhere for clarity

In the menus there seems to be an indication that VOIP is coming.

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 16, 2021

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Attack of the elves is pretty fun and stupid. Kinda like that weird horde/zombie mode from cod

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
As someone who has never done single player/coop in this - when you kill bots in those modes the kills count as gun/vehicle progression but don't give you xp, right?

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Throwing grenades and switching Sundance grenades is annoyingly slow

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

humpthewind posted:

As someone who has never done single player/coop in this - when you kill bots in those modes the kills count as gun/vehicle progression but don't give you xp, right?

You get some xp but it's limited

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

toggle posted:

It’s 15 minutes long!!!! Wtf

jisforjosh posted:

Don't watch LevelCap

Chronojam posted:

Your don't want to get your Battlefield analysis from the top referrer for Star Citizen accounts?
lol star citizen

Anyway let's hear from people who are a lot more negative about early access games like BF2042 and whom DICE most assuredly do not listen to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bdab5g3fsI&t=107s

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

The United States posted:

lol star citizen

Anyway let's hear from people who are a lot more negative about early access games like BF2042 and whom DICE most assuredly do not listen to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bdab5g3fsI&t=107s

Even funnier the 24 hour high for current players of bfv is about to overtake 2042 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Philman posted:

Throwing grenades and switching Sundance grenades is annoyingly slow

Agreed. Also, what is up with the weird delay after a throw before your gun pops back out and you can fire again. If it was intentional, it has certainly changed the way I use grenades compared to past titles.

Speaking of grenades, got like 5 kills with incidiaries in 1 round and now I'm wondering if damage feedback is too low or sometbing because even the most braindead wookies would get out of the splash in past titles.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 16, 2021