Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

In theory I like mini-arcs to deal with a certain segment of characters but they just feel so overwrought, and it's not like Weisman can't do dramatic. He managed to do a Very Special Episode on gun violence in Gargoyles without making it feel like a Very Special Episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I've often complained about the supposedly-classic run of Teen Titans (Wolfman and Perez) and people usually tell me that it's considered remarkable because it's the DC Soap Opera book to Marvel's soap opera book (X-Men)

Maybe the YJ team are taking that approach to it's literal conclusion, considering how the Teen Titans cartoon took the "young superheroes having fun, occasionally intense, youthful adventures" gimmick that the Young Justice comics were built on

Maybe Justice League Unlimited did it first by having there be a politics-heavy story about Amanda Waller in a show that wasn't about the Suicide Squad

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Now you're just reminding me how poorly written Amanda Waller has been in basically everything since the New 52 era started

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

drrockso20 posted:

Now you're just reminding me how poorly written Amanda Waller has been in basically everything since the New 52 era started

Also, C.C.H. Pounder is basically Amanda Waller already.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHtTnfmLWPI

I've loved this fight for years and I've never forgotten the music that plays during it.

Glancing at YT comments, I just now learned this is a remix of a song from a video game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6moMSWtM9Ak

I remember several tracks from Evo and I'm wondering if any of them were borrowed from games, like X-23's music in her debut ep fighting Wolverine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itz6CCPzTdc&t=107s

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

OnimaruXLR posted:

Didn't that start when it was on DC Universe, though?

OnimaruXLR posted:

I think the main problem is that Young Justice is basically the closest thing we have to a superhero telenovela.
It's incredibly sad but darkly funny that the show decided a good source of drama would be to have Beast Boy's mom get murdered by Queen Bee because she was gay

ImpAtom posted:

Superhero Kill is never a meaningful discussion because it presupposes the villains can't be stopped in any other way but also that killing them will stop them despite literally everyone involved having come back from the dead at least once.

It is stupid pro death penalty propaganda nonsense that exists only to try to create justification for when murdering a prisoner is OK
I think once we start considering the incredible impermeability of death in comic book superhero stories, killing is even less of a moral concern than ever. In fact it is roughly analogous to imprisoning them, they're gonna break out eventually but at least they're not hurting anyone in the meantime.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 2, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The revolving door of death can get depressing when you keep track of who audiences and writers don't care enough about to resurrect.

I gotta admit, I don't really like stories with lots of death. Either it means something and it's just depressing and sad, or it doesn't mean anything and it's just the writers treating you like an idiot and being emotional manipulative by faking out what's happening, and you lose immersion by doubting what's happening. Although I suppose if your show is already depressing and sad or nakedly manipulative, why not.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

there's that Amazing X-Men arc where a worker accidentally got hurt and blood ended up in some hamburger and everyone who ate it turned into a wendigo
This feels like the sort of idea that would have had literally everyone in Canada turn into a wendigo immediately after the first industrial meat packing plant opened up.

I mean, I'm not OPPOSED to the idea of that story*, just saying. Also if autocannibalism counts all those nail-biters are serious security risks.

*Except in the sense that wendigo myths aren't typically 'gotcha! ya ate a human by mistake and now you're a monster, them's the rules lol prank'd!' - they're about specifically killing and eating someone as an act of selfishness and greed to prolong your own life at the expense of other people.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The United States posted:

It's incredibly sad but darkly funny that the show decided a good source of drama would be to have Beast Boy's mom get murdered by Queen Bee because she was gay

I think once we start considering the incredible impermeability of death in comic book superhero stories, killing is even less of a moral concern than ever. In fact it is roughly analogous to imprisoning them, they're gonna break out eventually but at least they're not hurting anyone in the meantime.

I mean in theory. In actuality you murder the Joker and he goes to Hell and then gets demon powers and murders babies in their dream or sonething

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I mean in theory. In actuality you murder the Joker and he goes to Hell and then gets demon powers and murders babies in their dream or sonething

Minus the baby murder that actually happened once

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The United States posted:

Thought she was murdered as revenge by proxy.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Thought she was murdered as revenge by proxy.

That was the reason, what he was talking about was the method(Queen Bee's powers work only on people who are attracted to women)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

drrockso20 posted:

That was the reason, what he was talking about was the method(Queen Bee's powers work only on people who are attracted to women)

Did she use her powers? I thought she just had a hit squad take her out. I mean, she's still the dictatorial ruler of a heavily armed country.

Edit: Oh. It's a plot point in the supplementary comics? Guess that is why I didn't know. loving hell. :psyduck:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 3, 2021

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

there's that Amazing X-Men arc where a worker accidentally got hurt and blood ended up in some hamburger and everyone who ate it turned into a wendigo

No, it was that two guys have a fight at a meat packing plant, one dies and the other ran the body through the meat grinder to hide the evidence. Same idea though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvPuKJHJqMc

This is the best.

I was trying so hard to remember where I know Norman's voice from. He's been in a lot of things but the voice that instantly jumped out at me after glancing at wikipedia is Volgin from MGS3.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Young Justice Season 4 Episode 9: Our new focus group features Zatanna who is acting as magic mentor to Traci 13, Mary Marvel (who is trying to be a wizard and not just Mary Marvel for some ominous sounding reason), and some guy who I guess is Dr. Fate's alter-ego at some point in the comics. They get into a tussle with Klarion, who has got major backstory with Vandal Savage, and there's some new Lord of Chaos on the prowl. Also Beast Boy may be taking sleeping pills to just spend his entire depression unconscious. Saturn Girl and Chameleon Boy sit around outside watching fake Star Trek, which strikes me as odd, given that it's not entirely clear what role they had in Superboy's "death" still

Not really feeling it compared to the ninja team episodes. Also, since when is Blue Devil Irish-from-Ireland and not just Irish by ancestry?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

OnimaruXLR posted:

Not really feeling it compared to the ninja team episodes. Also, since when is Blue Devil Irish-from-Ireland and not just Irish by ancestry?

Yeah, I think that's a Weisman thing.

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
I don’t understand who Young Justice is for. As a fan of the old show I find this one hard to watch. The animation is limited, the plots are more dull and make less sense. I guess the budget caused them to weigh in heavier with superhero politics, which is a lot of heroes in a room talking about what they should be doing, instead of doing anything. I remember the first episode showed the same digital safe door open 4 times like a videogame cut scene. Then I remember a fight on a Bus that took a whole episode to complete cause they had to keep cutting away from it for more politics.

Now I’m 2 and a half seasons behind and I have no interest in coming back. Why can’t we get another season of Batman brave and the bold or the incredibly underrated Justice League Action? I remember being super excited for Young Justice when it first came out. Spectacular Spider-Man is one of my all time favorites. But I guess Victor Cook was the real driving force with that show, following it up with Scooby Doo Mystery Inc, and Greg made this “whelmed” show.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I've had plenty of criticisms of Young Justice before but season 4 has actually been really solid. They seem to have finally realized you shouldn't cram 30 plot threads into one story with 80 characters and are focusing on self contained adventures that are easier to follow and keep the cast limited to a handful of heroes. A good chunk of the dialogue is still pretty corny but the emotional beats aren't as eyerolling as I remember them being in past seasons.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
This isn't really animation news, per se, but apparently BTAS is gonna come back! In pog form! podcast form! No word on who's gonna be in it besides Conroy and Glover but I'm sure Hamill's down to show up whenever Joker inevitably hijacks the story like the Joker does in all modern Batman media.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 6, 2021

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

TwoPair posted:

This isn't really animation news, per se, but apparently BTAS is gonna come back! In pog form! podcast form! No word on who's gonna be in it besides Conroy and Glover but I'm sure Hamill's down to show up whenever Joker inevitably hijacks the story like the Joker does in all modern Batman media.

It’d be all worth it just to hear the Joker advertise for Better Help™️

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Riddle me this, Bats! What has four lines, can make a web, and sells anything? Time's up! It's squarespace! Squarespace is the easiest way to make a website. With their professionally made templates you can

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s no use, Robin! We can’t track the Riddler’s IP because he’s using NordVPN. Even the bat-computer can’t get around their privacy-protecting servers abroad. They’re NOT a cia front.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

OnimaruXLR posted:

Young Justice Season 4 Episode 9: Our new focus group features Zatanna who is acting as magic mentor to Traci 13, Mary Marvel (who is trying to be a wizard and not just Mary Marvel for some ominous sounding reason), and some guy who I guess is Dr. Fate's alter-ego at some point in the comics. They get into a tussle with Klarion, who has got major backstory with Vandal Savage, and there's some new Lord of Chaos on the prowl. Also Beast Boy may be taking sleeping pills to just spend his entire depression unconscious. Saturn Girl and Chameleon Boy sit around outside watching fake Star Trek, which strikes me as odd, given that it's not entirely clear what role they had in Superboy's "death" still

Yeah, I dunno about the magic group compared to the ninja group. Zatanna and Mary are the only well-known characters, and I don't care for Klarion. This episode was a little on the gory side, too.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, I dunno about the magic group compared to the ninja group. Zatanna and Mary are the only well-known characters, and I don't care for Klarion. This episode was a little on the gory side, too.

clearly the solution is magic ninjas

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

I recognized babyface Jinx, and it's nice that these VAs who have been with Teen Titans for over a decade are getting a chance to do something very different with the characters.

Also Lexington as the murder happy devil is fun.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TheHan posted:

I've had plenty of criticisms of Young Justice before but season 4 has actually been really solid. They seem to have finally realized you shouldn't cram 30 plot threads into one story with 80 characters and are focusing on self contained adventures that are easier to follow and keep the cast limited to a handful of heroes. A good chunk of the dialogue is still pretty corny but the emotional beats aren't as eyerolling as I remember them being in past seasons.

Agreed. I have really been enjoying the credits showing random happenings around the show, or the quotes, having M'gann just crying the entire time was heartbreaking. How many episodes is this season going to go?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I’m not sure about this current mini-arc in YJ. I guess it provides a little more context on why Savage is the leader of the Light, but meh. I never really followed his character in the comics, so I don’t know if this is coming out of something, but connecting him to the Lords of Chaos is even more wtf than his connection to Darkseid. And Nabu calling him “father” was a big “wait what!?” moment. And, oh yeah, he’s the progenitor of Atlantis as well as it’s destroyer. Sure, why not? :psyduck:.

I guess I am interested to see where this is going, but all the plot beats this season have been so disparate that’s it’s difficult to see the through line. And they still haven’t done poo poo with the Legion yet. :argh:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TwoPair posted:

Please Stop Having Kevin Conroy Play Batman 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

I’m not sure about this current mini-arc in YJ. I guess it provides a little more context on why Savage is the leader of the Light, but meh. I never really followed his character in the comics, so I don’t know if this is coming out of something, but connecting him to the Lords of Chaos is even more wtf than his connection to Darkseid. And Nabu calling him “father” was a big “wait what!?” moment. And, oh yeah, he’s the progenitor of Atlantis as well as it’s destroyer. Sure, why not? :psyduck:.

I guess I am interested to see where this is going, but all the plot beats this season have been so disparate that’s it’s difficult to see the through line. And they still haven’t done poo poo with the Legion yet. :argh:

Wonder if we'll see the stuff from the comics about him literally being the Biblical Cain

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlternateNu posted:

He was mentioned to have been Nabu's father back in season 3. Though that was before Nabu rose to become a Lord of Order. Anyway Vandal is stupidly old, and because he has been around so long and had a lot of children, so it makes sense a good chunk of earths population is descended from him.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Young Justice Season 4 Episode 10
-Beast Boy has been in a state of deep depression ever since he got back from Mars, which is understandable, but nothing has really happened except people looking at him funny. Dude is abusing sleeping pills. How has no one done anything anything more than going "YOU OKAY, SPORT?"? Wasn't El Dorado a counselor? Is this all leading up to the animated version of Heroes in Crisis?
-I kind of thought that Mary's reluctance to going Shazam was going to be tied to one of the assorted dark Mary alter egos, but instead it seems to be tied to a power addiction background story that uh... sounds more interesting than what is actually happening in the show?
-Dr. Fate has always kind of sucked in this show but going "meh not interested" after Klarion and baby dark Chylde cause that kind of damage makes him look even worse than the Order factions in Shin Megami Tensei. Also the climax to this episode makes the entire preceding course of events seem kinda pointless.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
So I think they misspelled "forth" on the latest episode of Young Justice.
Edit: the hbomax listing did. and Zattana's gimmick really doesn't work when it's not written down.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 24, 2021

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Finished up the latest YJ season and watched Justice Society: WWII. YJ was super meh. I lol'd with the bus reveal, but other than that, the whole finale was a let down. There are sparks of some interesting stuff, like Mary's persecution complex regarding the other magic kids and Zatara's eventual recovery from being held hostage by Nabu for a decade but overall, the execution was terrible. Also, you could tell how bad COVID hosed the production schedule with how many still shots there were throughout the season. It was almost like watching a motion comic. 50% narration over a panel.

The JS movie was...actually really good. I'd put it on level with Gods and Monsters. Some interesting twists and takes on the characters. Some of the one-liners could get cringe, but the hand-to-hand fight choreography was top notch.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
YJ season is not over. There is just a break before the second half.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MonsterEnvy posted:

YJ season is not over. There is just a break before the second half.

I laughed at this because everything else in his post is accurate.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

AlternateNu posted:

Finished up the latest YJ season and watched Justice Society: WWII. YJ was super meh. I lol'd with the bus reveal, but other than that, the whole finale was a let down. There are sparks of some interesting stuff, like Mary's persecution complex regarding the other magic kids and Zatara's eventual recovery from being held hostage by Nabu for a decade but overall, the execution was terrible. Also, you could tell how bad COVID hosed the production schedule with how many still shots there were throughout the season. It was almost like watching a motion comic. 50% narration over a panel.

Ah, so like the original ending to the Evangellion TV show?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Question IRL posted:

Ah, so like the original ending to the Evangellion TV show?

I would've given the show props if they had the balls to pull off a Congratulations scene.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
I thought the Young Justice episodes were interesting, but yeah - they felt really slow, and for the most part weren't featuring characters I have high interest in. I really liked the Artemis stuff, was so-so on the Zatanna arc (it's the first time she's really taken center-stage, but one of the episodes in her arc was like 60% her dad narrating his history), and was kinda eh on the M'gann/Connor stuff.

There's a whole lot of worldbuilding going on (this might be the first time they've ever done anything with the martians because they're actually alive), and I guess they are trying to set things up for the second half of the season, but I found my attention wandering while watching. I think my main issue is more the storytelling method (4-part storyarc per character(s) as opposed to single stories/2-parters) than the stories themselves, if that makes sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

AlternateNu posted:

I would've given the show props if they had the balls to pull off a Congratulations scene.

Man, for all it's faults that Congratulations scene is really good. Even if it doesn't resolve the stoey, it was still a good ending.