Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
I ran into one that created a slipstream, that one was freaking cool led to a hell of an unintended adventure. sometimes they spook the heck out of me too.

also some of the senser ghosts are more than ghosts...

stopgap1 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I had one that kept shutting off my sustained burn drive every time I tried to turn it on :argh:

They are spooky though, he did a lot more with them than I imagined at first.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

my kinda ape posted:

I had one that kept shutting off my sustained burn drive every time I tried to turn it on :argh:

They are spooky though, he did a lot more with them than I imagined at first.

If they interdict you, try interdicting them back :v:

Also I don't think they actually are proper interdictions, they just knock your speed down, they don't shut off my burn drive or prevent me accelrating again.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

If they interdict you, try interdicting them back :v:

Also I don't think they actually are proper interdictions, they just knock your speed down, they don't shut off my burn drive or prevent me accelrating again.

It wasn't an interdiction but every time I tried turning on the burn drive it said something to the effect of "engines drained" and the sensor thing would kind of come up and tap me.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

my kinda ape posted:

It wasn't an interdiction but every time I tried turning on the burn drive it said something to the effect of "engines drained" and the sensor thing would kind of come up and tap me.

I told you dawg
Told you bout them jumpgates dawg

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
You can use an interdiction pulse against the "drainers" to force them to flee. Neat interaction.

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.

stopgap1 posted:

I ran into one that created a slipstream, that one was freaking cool led to a hell of an unintended adventure. sometimes they spook the heck out of me too.

also some of the senser ghosts are more than ghosts...

I was convinced that some kind of [Redacted] horror was about to murder my fleet when I saw this! Instead I got sucked into a new hyperspace lane.

Regarding colonies - is it better to spam out a few in quick succession to try and cover my demands with internal trading, or get a single core colony up to a good size first? I haven't really tried them out before.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Both are good, one size 6 can fuel your expansion into the 3-4 you need to reach full self sustainability. But I usually find a good system then I settle the entire thing over a few months.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

w0o0o0o posted:

I was convinced that some kind of [Redacted] horror was about to murder my fleet when I saw this! Instead I got sucked into a new hyperspace lane.

Regarding colonies - is it better to spam out a few in quick succession to try and cover my demands with internal trading, or get a single core colony up to a good size first? I haven't really tried them out before.

I usually settle one with low hazard, get it producing a thing or two, then use that as a springboard to settle more hazardous ones more cheaply until I've got all the goods cycles going. But I also tend to settle fast, and if you've got the money for it settling 3+ works too.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

It's a lot more important that they be close together, so the fleet coverage adds up to a defense force you won't have to babysit, and it's quite rare for there to be multiple really primo planets in one system so building up the best one into a money printer before developing the others is typically fastest

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

^ efb

w0o0o0o posted:

The only real pitfall to avoid with colonies is overextending yourself to the point where you can't defend them. A few colonies is no biggie if they're near each other or (ideally) in the same system. But take the same number of colonies and put them far apart, it's going to be a pain in the rear end to deal with them and it could even become unprofitable if they get raided. Even aside from raids, you have to actually go to your colony fairly often, so make it easy on yourself.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Weirdest force ghost so far was a massive one which led me into the middle of deep hyperspace before stopping and vanishing.

A moment later the entire screen became an uninterrupted hyperspace storm.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
So sensors ghosts are basically the Varyas creep rear end random encounters writ large then? :gonk:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Kitfox88 posted:

So sensors ghosts are basically the Varyas creep rear end random encounters writ large then? :gonk:

They're pretty much all harmless, and can be anywhere from slightly annoying to moderately spooky. I keep getting one that acts like a big fleet burning towards you too fast to dodge and then it disappears when it hits you lol.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They're weird, I think once you get an eye for them you can sort of predict what they mean, but I am not sure if all of them are interactable. And some of them are just there to freak you out like the random fleet emergency burn intercept that just passes through you and disappears, which is basically the sensors equivalent of an ooga booga jumpscare.

E: lol ^

I think they're quite good at making you wonder though as sometimes they are definitely not ghosts some of them turn into fleets of remnants, albeit dormant ones so far and badly damaged, still much more than you can take on without a good fleet though

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Haven't seen many interesting sensor ghosts, except once I got the swarm of engine draining ones, coincidentally with a much larger pirate fleet burning towards my early rear end salvage fleet and a small sensor ghost that swerved into my direction only to became a derelict frigate.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
He said he wanted to make hyperspace travel less boring and more dynamic, and... mission accomplished, looks like.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Gods help me, I'm back for more. Are there any interesting mods that got added or updated to 0.95 since the end of June-ish? I'm very interested in this Hiver Swarm one because I am total sucker for Sword of the Stars and I've done enough vanilla / vanilla-adjacent runs to be up for a bug invasion, but anything new is worth considering.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Not s see yet where mods are at after the .1 update a few days ago. Probably still waiting for most to update?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Tabletops posted:

Not s see yet where mods are at after the .1 update a few days ago. Probably still waiting for most to update?

The updating is in the midst of happening; the libraries have all been updated, and updates for individual mods proceeds. The Discord has a decent list of up to date ones.

However, quite a few mods from .95 will work fine in .95.1, since the API didn't change that much.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Adjusted sector just updated with Blade breaker and SAD support.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I play with about 50 mods and I had to turn off starship legends and a skill rework to have the game work. Content/faction mods and Nex all work fine in my experience.

My old version of adjusted sector may have hosed with slipstreams and sensor ghosts since I haven't seen any. But it's updated now and I'm not sure it's adjusted sector doing it.

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.
Thanks for the colony advice folks. I wound up horribly overextending so I've started a new game and will try building up a single low-hazard planet first as a foundation.

On a side note, I feel silly not trying phase ships out sooner. Having so much fun zipping about in an afflictor with 3 antimatter blasters exploding pretty much everything in one disgusting alpha-strike. Even took out an atlas II, although its detonation killed me back so I'll call that one a draw.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Brandfarlig posted:

I play with about 50 mods and I had to turn off starship legends and a skill rework to have the game work. Content/faction mods and Nex all work fine in my experience.

My old version of adjusted sector may have hosed with slipstreams and sensor ghosts since I haven't seen any. But it's updated now and I'm not sure it's adjusted sector doing it.

Starship Legends got updated now and I am pretty sure Nexerelin also prevented slipstreams and ghosts, since I had a save were neither happened until a new one after update, and the changelig mentioned them.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

qnqnx posted:

Starship Legends got updated now and I am pretty sure Nexerelin also prevented slipstreams and ghosts, since I had a save were neither happened until a new one after update, and the changelig mentioned them.

I have Nexerelin installed and I see them every so often, if you have Adjusted Sector that could be the problem, if you make the map too big, it break slipstreams.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

High Scatter Amplifier + Phase Lance

The new version of HSA does NOTHING to the Phase lance's range on anything destroyer and up, but turns it all into hard flux +10% damage.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

winterwerefox posted:

High Scatter Amplifier + Phase Lance

The new version of HSA does NOTHING to the Phase lance's range on anything destroyer and up, but turns it all into hard flux +10% damage.

wait does this mean paragons doing hard flux at full range lmaoooooo

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Tach Lance would get shaved to what ever capital HSA range would be, I dont remember off hand, 800 i think, then doubled. But yes.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Excelzior posted:

wait does this mean paragons doing hard flux at full range lmaoooooo

Built one last night, and yes, it's hilarious.

I also built a double phase beam medusa and it just fills up the enemy's entire bar with hard flux while not giving a poo poo and not seeing any reduced range. It's hilarious.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

BitBasher posted:

Built one last night, and yes, it's hilarious.

I also built a double phase beam medusa and it just fills up the enemy's entire bar with hard flux while not giving a poo poo and not seeing any reduced range. It's hilarious.

How’s this change the dial on ion pulser vs phase lance? Ion pulser was my go-to for hard flux burst damage, I guess phase lance might be slightly better now but the OP cost for high-scatter on top has to hurt.

E: Also, torn on a very nice system I've found. Three habitable worlds, gate, cryo in system... but literally as far away from the core as is possible. (red arrow on the map).

The nearest source of volatiles is miles off as well - a 125% hazard gas giant at the green arrow on the map.

Actually worth it, or will I just not make any $$$ from this colony?

Talkie Toaster fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 16, 2021

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

You can make money off of any colony, it just might take longer.

Where's the nearest gate?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Also because I just forgot this, if you're new to the game and are doing the Wolf start make sure you screw with its weapon groups, the default loadout has the ion cannon paired with the PD lasers.

The game will never be truly finished until Alex addresses this imo

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Talkie Toaster posted:

How’s this change the dial on ion pulser vs phase lance? Ion pulser was my go-to for hard flux burst damage, I guess phase lance might be slightly better now but the OP cost for high-scatter on top has to hurt.

E: Also, torn on a very nice system I've found. Three habitable worlds, gate, cryo in system... but literally as far away from the core as is possible. (red arrow on the map).

The nearest source of volatiles is miles off as well - a 125% hazard gas giant at the green arrow on the map.

Actually worth it, or will I just not make any $$$ from this colony?

Save and see but you’re going to take an accessibility penalty from distance to core that may make it less / not profitable.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

As a still relatively inexperienced player I’m loving some of the skill changes. The logistics one that reduces the chance of your ships picking up D-mods when knocked out has done wonders for my apprehension of using frigates as cannon fodder (I have an irrational aversion to d-mods).

If only I could find a nice system to set up in, I’m starting to realize how good the system I had in my last big game back in March really was.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
I have been pondering and to my mind the introduction of the new fast cruiser, the new destroyer, and the new frigate (all lowtech), have given some significant options to pirates and give their fleets a more balanced feel. The fast cruiser especially can be very scary when set correctly.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
The Eradicator (new fast cruiser) is a strange beast. The Pirate version is arguably better, as Burn Drive gives you a lot of mobility and it's less DP to field. On the other hand, the standard version, with Accelerated Ammo Feeder is hilarious watching it pew-pew some poor bastard. 3 Small Ballistics and 3 Medium Ballistics all shooting 50% faster is just a lot of dakka. However, it is pretty slow and I think it benefits from SO a lot more than the Pirate version. With Hardened Subsystems and an officer granting some bonus CR, it can stay in the fight for a decent amount of time (300+ seconds).

Overall, I'm very impressed with the new ships and it gives both Pirates and Low-Tech a lot more versatility. Ordinance Expertise is also a fantastic skill for some of these Low-Tech ships, as is Polarized Armor. You need some skills to get them in tip-top shape but once they're there, they easily rival High-Tech.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I started out picking up an Eradicator(P) and I still miss it after a fight where I got wayy overconfident and had to bail from significant losses. Burn drive and giving it shield shunt gave it a lot of armour to just swoop on in and pump fools. You can drop shields and just unload missiles in their face.

I know this because I've had it done to me by the AI.

I always try and fail but I'm going to see really see if I can push a low-tech fleet for this one. Rugged construction to save on losses really seems good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cantorsdust posted:

Save and see but you’re going to take an accessibility penalty from distance to core that may make it less / not profitable.

That, in my experience, just means you want to get all the stuff to boost the spaceport, story point, special doodad, and an upgrade, plus that one has low gravity which helps too. A low hazard habitable world with high productivity on an industry or two is always going to be good, especially as you can run it as a light industry planet and make a lot of money off that with upgrades.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah location was a huge deal to accessibility when he first added that mechanic but at this point it's one of least important factors. I don't think there's anywhere on the (unmodded) map you could put a colony that would make a bigger difference than whether you have a waystation and space elevator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Accessibility still multiplies income so a colony closer to the core with all of those things would still make more money, all else being equal, but I always settle as far away as possible out of spite, and it's still quite easy to reach stupid levels of income.