Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
bring back the tie or gtfo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Dube and Kylington and another support staff have entered the NHL’s COVID-19 Protocol.

18 players, 3 coaches, and 9 support staff.... with 30 total people and 1766 total active cases in the Calgary area, the Flames account for 1.7% of all active cases in Calgary.

Go Flames Go!

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Attention people of the 1980s: ties are cool and we want them back.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Panthers currently have 11 main roster players out either due to COVID protocols or injuries right now with a game tonight. The AHL guys we'd call up just played 2 games back to back. God tonight is going to be a mess if it happens, and I'm not looking forward to sitting there and seeing it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't think I like the idea of banning backwards momentum in 3v3. Seems kind of...arbitrary.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I did some napkin math to try to quantify how bad the skinner contract is:

Since the start of Skinner's 8x$9 contract he is the 270th most productive point producer in the NHL and 162nd most productive goal scorer.

At the time the contract was signed The 162nd highest cap hit in the league was $5.3mil The 270th highest cap hit in the league was $4mil.
If you split the difference you get $4.65mil/aav. So we're paying Skinner slightly less than double what his production is worth.

Lets pretend skinner had paced for 40g/63 points (his career high) since signing the contract and use the same formula as above. He'd be the 9th most productive goal scorer, 9th cap hit 10.5mil 62nd in points, cap hit 7.0mil

8.75 is the average of those 2 cap hits. Almost identical to what we're paying skinner. We're paying Skinner to be 9th in goals and 62nd in points for 8 years. He's currently 162nd and 270th respectively in those categories 2.5 years into the contract. He's signed for 464 more games and is due to decline even more as he gets older.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Move regulation to 3 point wins. Winning in 3v3 OT is split 2 and 1. Going to a shootout is 1 and 1 with the shootout wins becomes the first tie breaker.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

th3t00t posted:

I did some napkin math to try to quantify how bad the skinner contract is:

Since the start of Skinner's 8x$9 contract he is the 270th most productive point producer in the NHL and 162nd most productive goal scorer.

At the time the contract was signed The 162nd highest cap hit in the league was $5.3mil The 270th highest cap hit in the league was $4mil.
If you split the difference you get $4.65mil/aav. So we're paying Skinner slightly less than double what his production is worth.

Lets pretend skinner had paced for 40g/63 points (his career high) since signing the contract and use the same formula as above. He'd be the 9th most productive goal scorer, 9th cap hit 10.5mil 62nd in points, cap hit 7.0mil

8.75 is the average of those 2 cap hits. Almost identical to what we're paying skinner. We're paying Skinner to be 9th in goals and 62nd in points for 8 years. He's currently 162nd and 270th respectively in those categories 2.5 years into the contract. He's signed for 464 more games and is due to decline even more as he gets older.

Did you factor in the 1.35x Sabres multiplier?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

The Islanders make me so sad that I can't even bring myself to enjoy the Rangers.

I'm just so drat checked out of hockey right now.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Possible new avatar material for Fox fans. Fits avatar requirements.

Maybe Text: "Sire! The Queen/Americans Has Given Birth To A Monster!"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Rotten Cookies posted:

The Islanders make me so sad that I can't even bring myself to enjoy the Rangers.

I'm just so drat checked out of hockey right now.

It makes me enjoy the Rangers more TBH. I hope they freak out and fire Trotz.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/craigsmorgan/status/1471563591010570240?s=21

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Some good news as it sounds like Tucker Poolman was a false positive, as he's since returned two negative tests after being pulled from Tuesday's game. Hopefully that means there wasn't anybody on the ice actively spreading Covid in that game. There were also no new positives for the Canucks yesterday, and Jason King has also returned a negative test after being placed in protocol.

What I'm saying is, I hope the Canucks don't get stuck in San Jose and I hope the Blue Jackets didn't get Covid while they were in Van.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I think another super simple change for OT is to flip the direction, a chunk of the backtracking seems to be designed to try an eventually get fresh skaters against tired ones. Make it easier to change meaning if teams curl back into the neutral zone defences will have a easier time changing.

You can still keep a team in their own zone and get a tiredness advantage but not by just floating around the neutral zone for 45 seconds.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Welp there goes NYR too

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Move regulation to 3 point wins. Winning in 3v3 OT is split 2 and 1. Going to a shootout is 1 and 1 with the shootout wins becomes the first tie breaker.

This is the correct answer IMO. I don't think you can start fiddling with the fundamental rules, you just have to press on the incentives.

Optimizing this was more fun than working.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I think the only problem is shootout wins being the first tie breaker means not much. If the goal is achieved and there are fewer, then you may end up wanting shoot outs again because of the tie breaker. Make the tie breaker the head to head for the teams and all of a sudden you have to worry about winning before you ever get to a shoot out.

VOTE1 posted:

I think another super simple change for OT is to flip the direction, a chunk of the backtracking seems to be designed to try an eventually get fresh skaters against tired ones. Make it easier to change meaning if teams curl back into the neutral zone defences will have a easier time changing.

You can still keep a team in their own zone and get a tiredness advantage but not by just floating around the neutral zone for 45 seconds.

This would solve some of it. Fresh skaters will have the energy to also press the play and you'd probably get more offense just from not having players out for minute or longer shifts just because they have to be conservative when they're tired. Offensive players may actually end up shooting more (until coaches get involved and then there's another problem).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

goldrush posted:

Some good news as it sounds like Tucker Poolman was a false positive, as he's since returned two negative tests after being pulled from Tuesday's game. Hopefully that means there wasn't anybody on the ice actively spreading Covid in that game. There were also no new positives for the Canucks yesterday, and Jason King has also returned a negative test after being placed in protocol.

What I'm saying is, I hope the Canucks don't get stuck in San Jose and I hope the Blue Jackets didn't get Covid while they were in Van.

This is great and all but I still think Tucker Poolman should be kept out of the lineup for precautionary reasons. I'm thinking until 2025 would be good.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Pretty good article on why vaccinated hockey players might be catching the 'rona:

https://twitter.com/Marisa_Ingemi/status/1471542096007864320?t=7KnEfsYBSWgE_INRKqQl6w&s=19

In short, a cold ice box with little to no airflow with a bunch of people breathing very hard is a great place to be if you're an airborne infection!

Makes me wonder about fans getting infected too.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

goldrush posted:

Poolman had covid last year with the jet's, and then with most of the Canucks having had covid also I should think they're more resistant than a team that hasn't had widespread outbreak

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1471588088157814790

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

seiferguy posted:

Pretty good article on why vaccinated hockey players might be catching the 'rona:

https://twitter.com/Marisa_Ingemi/status/1471542096007864320?t=7KnEfsYBSWgE_INRKqQl6w&s=19

In short, a cold ice box with little to no airflow with a bunch of people breathing very hard is a great place to be if you're an airborne infection!

Somebody from PAS asked about what to do about the playoffs: let's just give it to the last team standing.

Sell the rights to CBS. Survivor: Stanley Cup edition.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

seiferguy posted:

Also - this new variant doesn't care about vaccinations anywhere near as much with regards to catching it it seems. It's doing an absolute number everywhere, even places where people are vac'd up to their eyeballs. I was in proximity with a double vac'd friend who got a posi today, so I'm now not going to the Florida AHL Panthers game tonight and waiting to get tested in the morning. I'm boosted too which might be the difference between me getting sick or not, but it feels like nobody is safe right now. The good news is, virtually everyone here who's had it seems to have one super rough day then the next day back on their feet.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

seiferguy posted:

Because vaccination status has gently caress all to do with actively catching and spreading covid and barely has since their introduction. I WILL REPEAT VACCINATION STATUS DOES NOT MATTER IN ABILITY TO CATCH AND SPREAD COVID!!!! gently caress sake.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

seiferguy posted:

Yeah it's pretty simple really. They aren't sterilizing vaccines so breakthroughs were always going to happen. And Omicron is particularly adept at evading both vaccines and existing antibody response.

Of particular concern IMO is the long-term effects of even "mild" cases. The difference between an elite athlete and one who can't hang is pretty slim from a performance perspective, so even marginal long covid could be devastating for athletes.

Kuznetsov is on his third break for COVID protocols since 2020. He's been great this season, but I have to wonder how bad the aggregate effects are going to be over time.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
NHL players aren't boosted either. The booster may offer significantly better protection than the 2 dose or 1 dose that most NHL players have had.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Because vaccination status has gently caress all to do with actively catching and spreading covid and barely has since their introduction. I WILL REPEAT VACCINATION STATUS DOES NOT MATTER IN ABILITY TO CATCH AND SPREAD COVID!!!! gently caress sake.

it does though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This is wrong and being wrong in capital letters doesn't make it right.

Breakthrough infections are as transmissible as infections in the unvaccinated, but are far less likely.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/vaccinated-people-can-transmit-the-coronavirus-but-its-still-more-likely-if-youre-unvaccinated

The majority of new infections are in unvaccinated people, despite them being a minority of the population.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Ginette Reno posted:

NHL players aren't boosted either. The booster may offer significantly better protection than the 2 dose or 1 dose that most NHL players have had.

It definitely does.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/AlexTourignyRDS/status/1471599621692694532

No fans in Bell Centre tonight

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best case scenario for omicron that this is the point where the virus blows its own feet off and stops being as lethal.. that's the eventual path towards "ending" the pandemic. As far as I know there isn't enough data yet to make a determination, but I believe that's the eventual end for stuff like this. It evolves towards maximum transmission and loses the ability to kill in the process and humans eventually treat it like an annual annoyance (or it gets really loving lucky and evolves maximum lethality and maximum transmission and we're doomed regardless).

NHL players are just helping with the evolutionary process! :buddy:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
[redacted]

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 16, 2021

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Please don't put me in position of having to evaluate the quality of medical information when making moderation decisions. That's well outside of my specialty, and my decisions will probably end up upsetting a lot of people.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Sure, sorry. Will delete. Suffice to say covid is a bigger deal than the NHL is trying real hard to believe it is!

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Powershift posted:

This is wrong and being wrong in capital letters doesn't make it right.

Breakthrough infections are as transmissible as infections in the unvaccinated, but are far less likely.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/vaccinated-people-can-transmit-the-coronavirus-but-its-still-more-likely-if-youre-unvaccinated

The majority of new infections are in unvaccinated people, despite them being a minority of the population.

The Lancet Article and study isn't saying what you think it does, but whatever. You should peak that conclusion tho in the Lancet article.

'Vaccination reduces the risk of delta variant infection and accelerates viral clearance. Nonetheless, fully vaccinated individuals with breakthrough infections have peak viral load similar to unvaccinated cases and can efficiently transmit infection in household settings, including to fully vaccinated contacts. Host–virus interactions early in infection may shape the entire viral trajectory.'

Nonetheless...fully vaccinated individuals with breakthrough have peak viral same as unvaccinated.

drat that sure sounds like vaccination status doesn't stop you from catching nor spreading covid. Let's check what breakthrough is defined as....oh it's literally anyone that tests positive for covid while vaccinated. drat. The reduction only occurs because of reduction in viral replication. So you know after you've already caught it. Keep blaming the un-vaxxed though and enjoy your brunch. And I'm sure Cornell will be loving over the moon to find out about this!

Gimme my 6'er whatever.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Palate clenser.

The Oilers have a calendar of players with rescue dogs to support a local animal rescure

Look at that smile :allears:

the dog looks pretty happy too.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Ovi shaved his beard and he somehow looks like a 30 year old freshman now.

A babyface with missing teeth.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Ivan Barbashev answered fan questions on The Athletic and it's nice to see athletes don't buy into the myths about sacred positions or chemistry or whatever

quote:

What do you find most challenging, adjusting between playing center and wing? — Michael L.

There’s not much difference, but sometimes it’s kind of nice to play center because you go back and forth, and I feel like you have more control with the puck.

Is it hard to not be on a consistent line, or do you enjoy being moved around the lineup? — Rhonda H.

It doesn’t really matter. There are some games when we can’t score, and that’s when they start to make some line changes. But it doesn’t matter who you play with. Every single line can do a lot of damage if they play right, so it doesn’t matter.

It's not the greatest read, but he also doesn't give PR answers which was nice.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I mean athletes say poo poo like "eh either wing, doesn't matter, sure I can play center" but their results on the ice often show a different story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

treating intentionally leaving the offensive zone the same way icing is treated would be a positive change imo. keepaway is gross to watch