Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Agutter posted:

they're cool :hai:

thanks man. at the very least it’s definitely something that is all my creation

Jenny Agutter posted:

remember lomography?

is this what a polaroid is ? but no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

yeh it changed its name to instagram

i remember hipstergram or something and it pretended to “develop” the photos you took with it and it took minutes to see what you did

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
afterlight is my go to photo app on the iphone. does all the things you’d need it too

maxcurve does some cool things but i never use it

the prequel app actually is pretty decent if you like cliche filters, which I do

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

i remember hipstergram or something and it pretended to “develop” the photos you took with it and it took minutes to see what you did

I think i remember that lmao.

at some point my sister had an lomography kit or lens or something on her wishlist so I got the cheapest disposable camera I could find and wrote official lomography camera on it. she was not amused

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

i think i made this point before, but it's funny to me how photographers are all about having the most perfect unaltered image from the camera, perfectly circular bokeh with a gaussian falloff, reduced dynamic range capture, zero flare, zero grain, no chromatic aberration or vignetting or pincushion or blown highlights or any other image-making artifact

and meanwhile cg artists are like gently caress yeah, give me all that poo poo, i want hexagon bokeh, donut bokeh, flare everywhere, halos and ghosts, tri-color chromatic aberration, ultra grainy, film scratches, motion blur, contrast blaster, micro depth of field, hunting for focus, just give me every poo poo thing that cameras do to gently caress up an image. because that makes my cg look realistic

related: i noticed that when doing 3d stuff and the image looks off somehow, my first instinct is to mess around with the lighting and do everything “in camera” with minimal processing

with photography my first instinct is “eh, i can probably fix that in post”

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

didn’t terry richardson blow up the spot wit h all that fidelity poo poo and make lovely cameras good, actually

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I went for a walk into town and grabed a few picture.

but weirdly here is this bird, a kererū

noisy. was the iso high coz I hosed up or not.. who can tell?
slow mo videoed it lol
https://giant.gfycat.com/ImportantTepidFallowdeer.mp4

also a video of town

https://giant.gfycat.com/MerryBriskKob.mp4

amazing the kinds of things you can do by wandering around.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

impeccable vibes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thats the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
lol at the description of a kererū: "a large, conspicuous pigeon"

The ISO is only distracting if I open it on my 4k monitor. I wouldn't worry about it unless you wanted to print a poster of it.

That reminds me: a lot of stuff I've read over the years want you to practice taking high-iso shots in "inappropriate" lighting. I think the intention is getting you used to dealing with ultra-narrow apertures and fast shutter speeds. As well as learning how to "correct" or deal with iso noise in your postprocess flow.

Since I hate my t3i's sensor at above 1200 ISO, I usually lock myself down to 200 unless the shutter speed increases to above 1/30s or so.

I like the town video because of the aforementioned dreamy vibes... and I just love honeysuckle flowers in general.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thankyou :)

yeah that’s a interesting idea about the lighting

I have to remember it was like 8pm and using a 200mm f/5.6 so yeah not much light around

ya know one thing I wish I could do is set minimum shutter speeds for certain lenses

so when I plug a certain lens in, I can tell it don’t go slower than this at this length, etc. because I basically want to use aperture priority, but i have to watch out that it doesn’t choose a stupidly long shutter speed rather than increase iso

I use the Fv which i can’t remember what it’s called but it basically lets you choose or set to auto any of the three factors. it’s really good except when i leave the shutter speed on auto it chooses too low values.

I’ve actually just put shutter speed range select on the custom menu. it’s an awkward solution, because i’d like to be able to set this per lens but eh. what’s the point in complaining lol, everyone else has just found their own solution and will tell you it’s not a problem just do what they do 😂

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Unless your lighting is dramatically changing from shot to shot, you can usually just meter and do a few test shots in manual mode and leave it there. Up to a stop or two of exposure shift is completely negligible with modern software.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
maybe, I wander around a lot, turning etc and don’t like having to change settings often

honestly the Fv mode is really good, and setting a minimum shutter will fix all my issues with it, just wish it worked like I said.

basically wish we could script our cameras 🥲

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
dream camera has 4 nice knobs

shutter
aperture
iso
and exposure comp

and a button on the first 3

pressing a button on a knob makes that setting “auto” or turning it locks it into a value

if all three are set to manual the exp comp does nothing but if one or more are auto then exp comp determines the rest

this is basically what the Fv mode is (each setting can be set or can be manual) except the controls arent as I described

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
so kindof like a fujifilm XT-4 but with an aperture knob as well?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
almost, i’d prefer the small infinite wheels my camera has tho just loads of them lol

love that wheel

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

yeah echi you want a fuji, they got all the good knobs:

iso (with an auto setting)
shutter (with an auto setting)
compensation

and most of the lenses have an aperture dial on the lens itself (again with an auto setting)

plus has two programmable thumb dials you can set to other settings you want. you can basically remap all the buttons.

you can mix and match any of the auto settings you want. auto iso and auto shutter with manual aperture? got it. auto aperture with manual shutter and manual iso? you got it. the camera figures it out. and you dont have to go into any menus to switch between different auto options, it rules.

you could probably find a used X-T2 for not an absurd amount of money. It is truly an amazing camera still. plus it's made in japan and feels really high quality. buying used camera gear is an extremely pro move, because a lot of people have gear acquisition syndrome and you can find a lot of basically unused gear for a significant discount from retail. not living in north america probably makes it harder tho :(

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 15, 2021

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I had a nice camera but phones take "good enough" pictures these days that its hard to beat the convenience. Dragging a camera on long hikes was always a pain in the rear end and I certainly wasn't taking it biking. Anyway that's my camera story thanks for listening

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

echinopsis posted:

hipstamatic i think

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

polyester concept posted:

yeah echi you want a fuji, they got all the good knobs:

iso (with an auto setting)
shutter (with an auto setting)
compensation

and most of the lenses have an aperture dial on the lens itself (again with an auto setting)

plus has two programmable thumb dials you can set to other settings you want. you can basically remap all the buttons.

you can mix and match any of the auto settings you want. auto iso and auto shutter with manual aperture? got it. auto aperture with manual shutter and manual iso? you got it. the camera figures it out. and you dont have to go into any menus to switch between different auto options, it rules.

you could probably find a used X-T2 for not an absurd amount of money. It is truly an amazing camera still. plus it's made in japan and feels really high quality. buying used camera gear is an extremely pro move, because a lot of people have gear acquisition syndrome and you can find a lot of basically unused gear for a significant discount from retail. not living in north america probably makes it harder tho :(

lol just bought a new body, not quite ready for another body from a different system yet

i’m actually super pleased with the eos r, it produces some extremely excellent results. i can’t put my finger on it but I just love using it. sure it’s not perfect and if it had those knobs it almost would be but 🤷‍♂️

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

lol just bought a new body, not quite ready for another body from a different system yet

i’m actually super pleased with the eos r, it produces some extremely excellent results. i can’t put my finger on it but I just love using it. sure it’s not perfect and if it had those knobs it almost would be but 🤷‍♂️

The R is a good camera, Echi.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

indeed it is my friend. the end result of this glorious sensor is very nice

on a different note, i’ve been using the 100mm to take some pics of my kids and then used the 50mm. i never used to get why longer lenses are better for portraits but drat, it almost feels like my 50mm f1.8 has been poisoned by iphones portrait mode because pics taken with it just remind me now of portrait mode and drat do i hate that. when I have both now to compare, it’s just so clear that longer lenses are far more aesthetically pleasing and the face compression is far more desirable

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

indeed it is my friend. the end result of this glorious sensor is very nice

on a different note, i’ve been using the 100mm to take some pics of my kids and then used the 50mm. i never used to get why longer lenses are better for portraits but drat, it almost feels like my 50mm f1.8 has been poisoned by iphones portrait mode because pics taken with it just remind me now of portrait mode and drat do i hate that. when I have both now to compare, it’s just so clear that longer lenses are far more aesthetically pleasing and the face compression is far more desirable

The difference in how that 50-1.8f looks when you move from an APS-C to a full-frame sensor is pretty stunning. From my limited experience, I'd say the 85mm might give you that same "feel" for framing the 50mm had on your 7d. It's still going to squash everything differently...

That being said, the 50mm on my APS-C is still the best I can find without dropping $2k on glass. I encourage everyone who wants to dabble in photography to grab a "cheap" used crop-sensor canon body (EF-S mount) and then drop $125 for that 50mm 1.8f. It's just REALLY versatile once your mind's eye can kinda do the conversion from what you see to what the camera will produce.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
absolutely . I’ve got some portraits from when used on crop and it didn’t have that effect and was happy with it

you really do need to get further away than you think, at least that’s how it was for me, discovering you had to get further than expected.

I really want to work with people. once me and another dude and this chick went photo shooting and it was clear immediately his technical knowledge surpassed mine and his gear was better too, but his personality was flat. when I first actually started shooting, coz it was her first time too, it was clear how much work I’d need to do to get the shots I wanted. not just saying “do this or that”, but really communicating with the model, asking them about this or that, trying to coax out a look or pose etc requires a certain level of interpersonal communication ability. which is why I am so keen to do so because in person I’m actually very good with people (yes, impossible to imagine for people here lol)

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

absolutely . I’ve got some portraits from when used on crop and it didn’t have that effect and was happy with it

you really do need to get further away than you think, at least that’s how it was for me, discovering you had to get further than expected.

I really want to work with people. once me and another dude and this chick went photo shooting and it was clear immediately his technical knowledge surpassed mine and his gear was better too, but his personality was flat. when I first actually started shooting, coz it was her first time too, it was clear how much work I’d need to do to get the shots I wanted. not just saying “do this or that”, but really communicating with the model, asking them about this or that, trying to coax out a look or pose etc requires a certain level of interpersonal communication ability. which is why I am so keen to do so because in person I’m actually very good with people (yes, impossible to imagine for people here lol)

Giving directions is tough, and doing it with family/close friends is like 10x harder. Strangers tend to just trust you know what you're doing when you say "lean your face towards the camera... bend your elbows... put your foot there... chin back a teense... no no rotate your head like (arcane gesture)... exactly, but that was too far... back a bit"

My family just gives me endless poo poo.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah lol. kind of why I want to find someone who wants to be part of the process for a reason. basically a model. but nervous to not waste someone’s time so am in that dilemma space. but slowly progressing

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i have a GFX and it's basically exactly as you say, 3 dials (and 2 more that you can bind to things including iso), and I don't really touch anything else.

it's good and I like it, and the fuji gfx lenses are insanely good

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

well i don't really, I usually shoot on f8 and iso100 and only adjust shutter speed, it's extremely needs suiting. the big rear end sensor is really good

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Wild EEPROM posted:

well i don't really, I usually shoot on f8 and iso100 and only adjust shutter speed, it's extremely needs suiting. the big rear end sensor is really good
I want to try the 50R, it’s like if you shot my camera with a science fiction growth ray

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Wild EEPROM posted:

i have a GFX

fuckin' lucky

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’ve never seen as many fuji in my life as I have in this thread. maybe it’s a locale thing, i’d say canon here in nz is most popular by miles and you get the odd nikon or something else.

before this thread I never would have considered a fuji. now I would. I was considering changing to sony for their mirrorless selection but as soon as I tried the EOS R I knew I’d be happy with it,

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd guess fuji appeals to two large groups of people:
old film shooters who like manual controls
newbies with no experience in the dslr area who balk at the size and price of full frame cameras/lenses and don't want to gently caress with raw files for 10 minutes apiece to get a usable picture

there's also street photography hipsters who wish they owned a leica but I think they're just overrepresented on youtube and there aren't actually that many of them

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I think fuji has always been somewhat of an underdog in the camera world, obviously the pros still mostly go with canon and nikon. sony too but they seem more video focused.

fuji only recently started going after the pro/prosumer crowd. Their recent lens offerings are starting to get seriously competitive with more established brands (they've always made extremely good cine lenses)

the gfx is a medium format sensor and the camera body starts at $4,000 usd and the cheapest lens for it is a grand. But only a few years ago, you were looking at dropping a cool $10k minimum for a medium format digital system. its crazy

I am probably going to stick with aps-c until medium format drops a bit more and then skip full frame entirely :2bong:

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 17, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
holy poo poo medium format. basically a dinner plate for a sensor

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

qirex posted:

I want to try the 50R, it’s like if you shot my camera with a science fiction growth ray

It's pretty good, it's still big but not excessively big. Especially compared to my previous camera (hasselblad 500cm)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

for a few thousand bucks you can be lucky too

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

qirex posted:

I'd guess fuji appeals to two large groups of people:
old film shooters who like manual controls
newbies with no experience in the dslr area who balk at the size and price of full frame cameras/lenses and don't want to gently caress with raw files for 10 minutes apiece to get a usable picture

there's also street photography hipsters who wish they owned a leica but I think they're just overrepresented on youtube and there aren't actually that many of them

It's both great and frustrating at the same time. A lot of things are very much designed to be used in an auto setting and not really in manual, even though it looks that way.

for example if you want to manually focus on something, you have to either be in the manual focussing mode, or if you are in an auto focus mode, your focus and exposure have to be locked before you can adjust the focus.
Then when you do, the focus ring is one of those electronic ones (eh) with acceleration (ugh) which you can't turn off (ughhhhh)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

sony seems to be the most popular here, and then nikon

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah I only manually focus when I want to lock it to one zone for a while like taking pictures out of a window, focus by wire is kinda butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

those new dji cameras with the gimbal built in have a lidar focus system that looks pretty neat