Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Shifty Pony posted:

nah the tracking systems that exist for VR are more than capable of mapping onto more complex models. the mii look is primarily so that your average laptop has any hope of rendering it at 30fps and a marketing choice made to keep everything cute and far from the uncanny valley.

the execs like Zuck are 100% into it because their entire workday is bullshit meetings and travel and they see an opportunity to do that all from their mansion. they also are rich enough that the hardware requirements don't matter and the technical problems don't happen to them.

like these metaverse pitches are seriously enticing to the moneyed class. get a pitch from your Berlin team, chat for a bit with the VP of the NYC division, fire the entire Denver office, then take off your VR helmet and walk into the suck and gently caress party you've got going on in your SoCal villa.

I do PCVR with a Valve Index HMD and while VR is fun it's janky as poo poo. My friends and I are constantly having to troubleshoot things to get it to work right. And that's not even bringing up the seasickness you feel until you've used the headset enough to get your 'VR legs'. There's no way they're going to get mass adoption of this technology unless it works out of the box without making you want to puke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

use freetaxusa

aside from the name, it's very good and doesn't loving nag and scam you every 3 seconds

thirded. the name might be the brainchild of a marginally literate libertarian, but it’s actually a good product.

one of my best friends has worked there for years, and from what I can tell, they’re a pretty good employer

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

PCVR is a huge pain in the rear end I've seen almost no one stick with beyond a couple months. The Quest works alright as a weather independent light exercise thing though. I sold my PCVR long ago (to a friend who got super excited about it for a couple months but eventually sold it too) but we use the Quest semi regularly.

AR glasses that can do a bunch of things could be a big gateway to whatever goofy VR chat facebook wants to peddle. Like if AR glasses can act as a big virtual screen to your phone I could see plenty buying for that when the prices come down (more like the Nreal except when it doesn't have to float off your face). Like as an alternative to increasingly large phones/tablets so you get a big screen when you need it but otherwise have something more portable. Then whatever half rear end VR the AR glasses can do is a gimme. I don't see it ever being a business tool, but second life 2.0 with the slickness of the social driven mobile games could be reasonably popular I think.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Need Jay to say something and save the day

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Casey Finnigan posted:

that already exists though. if you do want to do that, vr chat is doing fairly well for itself

Plenty of people use VR chat without a headset, you don't need one at all.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Eric Cantonese posted:

Apologies for reposting something I posted in D&D, but I'm still seething after reading this and remembering that Dave Ramsey is one of the few "financial personalities" in the US advocating offering something close to decent advice regarding debt and spending.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/14/us/dave-ramsey-lawsuit-covid.html

Everything in this country is horrible.
there are plenty of people who wouldn't call his advice "decent", though perhaps better than nothing and simplified to the point that people will follow it reliably.

I applied for a job at his company out of desperation a while back, then about 6 months later I received a e-mail from a recruiter asking me to start the interview process. It ended with "Changing the toxic culture starts with you!"

"Toxic money culture" is a phrase that Ramsey uses for taking on debt to keep up with the Joneses. It's a reasonable way to communicate the idea that people can stand up to marketing and act in their own financial self-interest. However, given that Ramsey is currently involved in some troubling employment discrimination lawsuits, putting that in initial recruiting contact without the word "money" comes off more like "trapped in discrimination factory, please help."

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FuzzySlippers posted:

PCVR is a huge pain in the rear end I've seen almost no one stick with beyond a couple months. The Quest works alright as a weather independent light exercise thing though. I sold my PCVR long ago (to a friend who got super excited about it for a couple months but eventually sold it too) but we use the Quest semi regularly.

AR glasses that can do a bunch of things could be a big gateway to whatever goofy VR chat facebook wants to peddle. Like if AR glasses can act as a big virtual screen to your phone I could see plenty buying for that when the prices come down (more like the Nreal except when it doesn't have to float off your face). Like as an alternative to increasingly large phones/tablets so you get a big screen when you need it but otherwise have something more portable. Then whatever half rear end VR the AR glasses can do is a gimme. I don't see it ever being a business tool, but second life 2.0 with the slickness of the social driven mobile games could be reasonably popular I think.

This AR glasses idea is pure science fiction in the first place, but a big phone or tablet has the advantage of being something physical you can interact with, not just a virtual screen.

VR is a product most people fundamentally aren't interested in, nothing will change that. Facebook running TV ads back to back, trying to market the Quest as the new fitness device won't change that.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Gazpacho posted:

there are plenty of people who wouldn't call his advice "decent", though perhaps better than nothing and simplified to the point that people will follow it reliably.

I applied for a job at his company out of desperation a while back, then about 6 months later I received a e-mail from a recruiter asking me to start the interview process. It ended with "Changing the toxic culture starts with you!"

"Toxic money culture" is a phrase that Ramsey uses for taking on debt to keep up with the Joneses. It's a reasonable way to communicate the idea that people can stand up to marketing and act in their own financial self-interest. However, given that Ramsey is currently involved in some troubling employment discrimination lawsuits, putting that in initial recruiting contact without the word "money" comes off more like "trapped in discrimination factory, please help."

I should have put an emphasis on "close" in "close to decent" there. I have a lot of issues with what he says, but I can't think of any other high profile personalities who aren't just shilling for some harmful credit/debt product too.

A friend of mine does a lot of personal bankruptcy work and she's struggling to find anyone else her clients will listen to and understand regarding how to view (and try to handle) debt.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

As we go into hyperinflation is it better to have debt or not have debt

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

The cool thing about rent is all these apartment complexes are likely either paid off already or the property management company bought them with a fixed rate loan, so every time rent is increased due to "market rates" it has no bearing on the actual costs to run the place

Got a letter about my rent increase and under reasons it just says "haha what are you gonna do? Move? Good luck, bitch. Pay up or gently caress off"

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

net work error posted:

It is best to have beans.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

net work error posted:

What was the debt taken on to do? Getting a $700k mortgage to buy a $1m house seems like some of the best debt in the world that you could have right now, you'll be paying all of 2.875% interest while the dollar inflates at 7%, and you get a house to live in out of the deal too.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

net work error posted:

What does Number tell you

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I could see Congress allowing banks to revalue debt

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

euphronius posted:

lmao. imagine that letter from the bank. Yeah, so you spent 500k on this house but gently caress you give us 30M instead.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

One easy trick for radicalizing the population!

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Fame Douglas posted:

This AR glasses idea is pure science fiction in the first place, but a big phone or tablet has the advantage of being something physical you can interact with, not just a virtual screen.

VR is a product most people fundamentally aren't interested in, nothing will change that. Facebook running TV ads back to back, trying to market the Quest as the new fitness device won't change that.

the VR people are actually interested in is super futuristic sword art online sort of tech that will never exist, like you put this mess-of-wires football helmet looking thing on your dome and it outright replaces all of your senses with ones that were lovingly crafted by the lowest bidder

like if you had a product that essentially transported you into a video game / movie and it was advertised as such and didn't cause brain damage, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who isn't interested

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

no

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

euphronius posted:

goddamn that’s dark lol

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

euphronius posted:

why would the banks give a gently caress? they already sold the loans off to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac who then sold the securities off.

the fed has been buying a lot of those securities btw, which keeps the interest rates on loans artificially low. when they taper that's gonna be fun to watch.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Centrist Committee posted:

goddamn that’s dark lol

Bah gawd, that's Kyrsten Sinema's music!

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

blatman posted:

the VR people are actually interested in is super futuristic sword art online sort of tech that will never exist, like you put this mess-of-wires football helmet looking thing on your dome and it outright replaces all of your senses with ones that were lovingly crafted by the lowest bidder

like if you had a product that essentially transported you into a video game / movie and it was advertised as such and didn't cause brain damage, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who isn't interested

And that's why if that tech existed, it should be thrown into the ocean and all of its creators killed. Its mere existence would be an existential threat to humanity without significant safeguards from abuse. Even with extreme technological and social safeguards, it's probably still a bad idea.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

euphronius posted:

The banks will self-revalue the debt, be paid the difference by the government, and then congress will tearfully cut all social services because the pantry is empty and people just have to tighten their belts and get to work.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Big Mad Drongo posted:

You are a wizard

You don't even perceive time linearly

:witch:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Dave Ramsey is one of the few people giving decent financial advice to normal people based on not having to consume everything in sight but he's also a hyperconservative evangelical lunatic so it's impossible to say if he's good or bad

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
jay "the tool man" powell (ggggoooouuuuppp?)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Dave Ramsey also tells people to join the military all the time. It’s infuriating.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

SourKraut posted:

What does Number tell you

I'm gonna buy a car I don't need

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

net work error posted:

I was thinking about going to the currency exchange and getting a few hundred bucks worth of reminbi. Crypto shysters would say to have faith in cryptocurrencies to hedge against inflation, but the only thing I have faith in is the global supremacy of Communist China in the 21st century

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

net work error posted:

Max out all of your credit cards buying sugar, screws, and cigarettes :eng101:

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

Stereotype posted:

i have had to sit through a lot of stupid business talks about commercializing products, and they always make you answer "what problem are you solving, and how much would a customer save by you solving that problem?" you could have the coolest technology in the world but no one is going to buy it if they don't need it or it doesn't save them money. like woah cool you developed a monitoring system that uses deconvolution of reflected radio impulse complex dispersion characteristics to non-invasively and accurately determine liquid flow rates? couldn't you have just done that with whatever they use now though, probably a spinning propeller, for a fraction of the price and nearly equivalent maintenance? you can? well, that sucks, better luck next time.

this metaverse thing is a textbook example of that. sure it's neat, but you can accomplish the same goal with normal cheap easy videoconferencing. you can do it with a phone. it doesn't solve or improve anything. it's why engineers make lovely business people. the only reason it wasn't immediately dismissed is because facebook owns a propaganda empire and mark Zuckerberg is insanely rich and surrounds himself with brown-nosing sycophants.

yeah but can you grope someone via videoconferencing? didn't think so

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Shifty Pony posted:

the execs like Zuck are 100% into it because their entire workday is bullshit meetings and travel and they see an opportunity to do that all from their mansion. they also are rich enough that the hardware requirements don't matter and the technical problems don't happen to them.

like these metaverse pitches are seriously enticing to the moneyed class. get a pitch from your Berlin team, chat for a bit with the VP of the NYC division, fire the entire Denver office, then take off your VR helmet and walk into the suck and gently caress party you've got going on in your SoCal villa.

they literally can do all this already, though. Just log into zoom or use teams. they don't even need to know how any of this stuff works, they're rich enough to pay someone to set it up for them. They could do all their meetings in VRChat or FFXIV or minecraft if they wanted to.

Like wasn't instant worldwide communication like this the promise of the internet in the first place? Why is it revolutionary if you do it in VR with an even uglier version of a vtuber avatar (which you can already do but this time it's owned by zuckerberg)?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The reason richs want metaverse is so they can show off their $10,000 cosmetic dlc shiney golden suit and business wings

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

why would the banks give a gently caress? they already sold the loans off to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac who then sold the securities off.

the fed has been buying a lot of those securities btw, which keeps the interest rates on loans artificially low. when they taper that's gonna be fun to watch.

I meant “banks” largely *makes wide arms motion*

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

net work error posted:

Would not be surprised if they made all consumer debt (aka any debts held by the non-rich) retroactively pegged to the inflating dollar so that the creditors get the ROI and rents that are their birthright.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I hope with meta we can also move to having business golf meetings in Pangya (so all physical golf courses can be destroyed)

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
VR has a couple of niche uses it's great for - in particular, it's almost as good for flight simulators as TrackIR while requiring less annoying fiddly hardware than TracklR does (VR requires one headset, versus a good TrackIR setup needing a sensor on your head, sensors on your desk, and a couple of extra monitors to provide peripheral vision). Once you've simmed using one of those two technologies it's almost impossible to go back.

I've also got a friend who is disabled and near-permanently bedridden and enjoys using VR to simulate leisure activities she can no longer do, like watch a movie in a theater.

That said, it's really telling that this technology has been around in a usable format for over thirty years now, and basically all of its actual usage is as either a game peripheral or a gimmick. I am hard-pressed to think of a single thing you can do in VR that you can't do on a regular desktop computer with a monitor, usually better, and without having to devote 100% of your attention to the screen like VR demands.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Kellogs fears the boycott
https://twitter.com/enterthe9realms/status/1471551746073899012

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mister Bates posted:

That said, it's really telling that this technology has been around in a usable format for over thirty years now, and basically all of its actual usage is as either a game peripheral or a gimmick. I am hard-pressed to think of a single thing you can do in VR that you can't do on a regular desktop computer with a monitor, usually better, and without having to devote 100% of your attention to the screen like VR demands.

"usable for over thirty years" is debatable. i remember trying out vr stuff as a kid in the 90s. it was bad. very bad.