Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm still making my way through Creamerie, but of the three pandemic shows so far this year (The Stand and Y being the others) Creamerie is my favorite by far. Also kind of funny that both it and Wellington Paranormal came out in the US this year as I can't recall New Zealand TV being available here in any form before.

On the subject of plague shows, the Station Eleven miniseries starts on Thursday, and I'm hoping it's good. Especially since it seems like we'll never see the traveling theater troupe from Y adapted to TV now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its very goofy how every time they introduce a new character in SMASH it is just Kyle Mooney in a new outfit.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Loved the Succession finale. This show is so much fun.

Super impressed by some of the facial work lately, especially from Culkin. Things like him dying in his chair post dick-pic or wrestling with his internal anguish during the final conflict this week is brilliant.

DogsInSpace! posted:

Just started episode 4 and I’m fairly sure the Tom character might be an actual serial killer. Well done show overall but the icing on the cake is how the Kendall actor has no idea his character is NOT awesome. It’s like they found the perfect actor for the character. I liked Kieran Culkin before but Jesus I hate him here. Just everyone is awful and awaiting their doom eagerly. Please let them suffer.

Keep us posted as you go, I'd say take to to the Succession thread, but gently caress reading that. If I can sit through people's Friends, Person of Interest, Good Wife, Taskmaster etc. marathons then I'm sure it's fine.

Matt Zerella posted:

Jeremy Strong is a crazy person and I'm pretty sure he knows Kendall is a giant cringe fails moron.

Does he though? I've watched multiple clips/interviews lately with his fellow cast giving anecdotes around him not being aware that this show is funny. Watching Brian Cox on Seth Meyer's show basically saying in the most polite way possible "method actors are loving weird and I'm genuinely concerned about Jeremy Strongs well-being" was hilarious.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The Succession finale might be the best episode of TV I watched in years. I avoided calling Succession prestige television, but that episode ranks up there with some of the best episodes of Mad Men.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 15, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

muscles like this! posted:

Its very goofy how every time they introduce a new character in SMASH it is just Kyle Mooney in a new outfit.

I love that they brought in Bruce Chandling. I thought they did a pretty great job at having him play multiple characters too, at first I just assumed one of the presenters was someone just similar looking.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

nate fisher posted:

The Succession finale might be the best episode of TV I watched in years. I avoided calling Succession prestige television, but that episode ranks up there with some of the best episodes of Mad Men.
:agreed:

It really was tense.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh neat, Mr. Mayor is back tomorrow. I hadn't spotted that until now.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh neat, Mr. Mayor is back tomorrow. I hadn't spotted that until now.

Mayor. We just say Mayor.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Looten Plunder posted:

Loved the Succession finale. This show is so much fun.

Super impressed by some of the facial work lately, especially from Culkin. Things like him dying in his chair post dick-pic or wrestling with his internal anguish during the final conflict this week is brilliant.

Keep us posted as you go, I'd say take to to the Succession thread, but gently caress reading that. If I can sit through people's Friends, Person of Interest, Good Wife, Taskmaster etc. marathons then I'm sure it's fine.

Does he though? I've watched multiple clips/interviews lately with his fellow cast giving anecdotes around him not being aware that this show is funny. Watching Brian Cox on Seth Meyer's show basically saying in the most polite way possible "method actors are loving weird and I'm genuinely concerned about Jeremy Strongs well-being" was hilarious.

That last bit is what I read before starting the show and it makes his scenes even more funny and tragic. I mean, I still hate the Roys but sometimes I just feel like “Jesus stop torturing the guy and just shoot him in the head.” He’s a perfect fit for Kendall Roy.

Season 1 was great and loved the “twist” as I was about to bitch about Ken getting away with it all. Up to season 2 episode 8 now. Show got me that hard. To any curious like I was: show is really good. Acting is top notch and a treat to watch, the dialogue is strong and the plot has been engaging. I’m nothing like these guys but I can’t stop watching and every time I hear that theme I’m like “sweet.” They ARE awful people. Truly horrible people but I’m still sucked in. Weirdly this show hasn’t triggered me like White Lotus did. Can’t even really think of a reason why. Good recommendation TVIV and Creamerie is next. You saying about Mad Men made me think there is a similar “something” they have common. Can’t place what exactly but something. Highly recommend and can’t wait till Season 3. Thanks Goons

Edit: JUST finished season 2. All I can say is fffffuuuuuuccccckkkkk!

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 15, 2021

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

DogsInSpace! posted:

I can’t stop watching and every time I hear that theme I’m like “sweet.”
Haha, yeah, that's something not discussed often enough but when they start playing the theme song and the tempo is speeding up and it's this cheery piano or violin, you know something deservedly horrible is about to happen to one of the characters and you're fully on board for it so your heart starts pumping in anticipation of what hilarity is about to ensue. The AD for the show is on point.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

Haha, yeah, that's something not discussed often enough but when they start playing the theme song and the tempo is speeding up and it's this cheery piano or violin, you know something deservedly horrible is about to happen to one of the characters and you're fully on board for it so your heart starts pumping in anticipation of what hilarity is about to ensue. The AD for the show is on point.

Here is a cool video with the composer talking about all the tweaks he makes to the various character themes to tell different stories
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0WzqanwlG0

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Enjoyed S1 of Animal Kingdom, but I need a different set of terrible people to watch so I'm moving on to Succession for a while. I'm on episode 4. Mrs Isaboo is way ahead of me, at the beginning of S3 I think, so she's waiting for me to catch up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are we doing a 2021 poll as well as the decade poll? Looten, do you plan on doing it? I could take over if you just want to focus on the decade one. I may need to find someone to make some fancy graphics, though

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
We are doing it, I've just been really busy with other poo poo and/or lazy.

It was planned to be later anyway (looking at doing the reveal towards the end of January rather than the beginning) but yes, sorry, I'll get the thread up this weekend.

I also need to start the awareness campaign via thread posts and PMs for the best of the decade one too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Looten Plunder posted:

Here is a cool video with the composer talking about all the tweaks he makes to the various character themes to tell different stories
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0WzqanwlG0
For some reason I get the Succession theme and the Mad Men theme mixed up in my head. A few days before the finale, I was trying to remember the Succession theme and the Mad Men theme was all that was coming to mind, even though I knew it was wrong.

I don't know why that is. They're different compositions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD12mZiFPtM

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

I think the goldbergs is finally done; I haven't watched in 3 or 4 seasons anyway.
Jeff Garlin fired/quit after HR investigations...
https://www.thewrap.com/jeff-garlin-exits-the-goldbergs-after-hr-investigation-of-on-set-behavior/

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That interview he did about it was so so weird

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wasn't there an episode of Curbed where he was confused for Harvey Weinstein?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Escobarbarian posted:

Didn't he use the word "silly" around twenty-seven times?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DogsInSpace! posted:

That last bit is what I read before starting the show and it makes his scenes even more funny and tragic. I mean, I still hate the Roys but sometimes I just feel like “Jesus stop torturing the guy and just shoot him in the head.” He’s a perfect fit for Kendall Roy.

Season 1 was great and loved the “twist” as I was about to bitch about Ken getting away with it all. Up to season 2 episode 8 now. Show got me that hard. To any curious like I was: show is really good. Acting is top notch and a treat to watch, the dialogue is strong and the plot has been engaging. I’m nothing like these guys but I can’t stop watching and every time I hear that theme I’m like “sweet.” They ARE awful people. Truly horrible people but I’m still sucked in. Weirdly this show hasn’t triggered me like White Lotus did. Can’t even really think of a reason why. Good recommendation TVIV and Creamerie is next. You saying about Mad Men made me think there is a similar “something” they have common. Can’t place what exactly but something. Highly recommend and can’t wait till Season 3. Thanks Goons

Edit: JUST finished season 2. All I can say is fffffuuuuuuccccckkkkk!

White Lotus had (probably not a spoiler but whatever) rich people live their lives without consequence.

Mad Men made sure you paid attention to how even rich and wealthy people were in turn crippled by their status on top. Maybe that's it. Also leaving all those notes of what the gently caress is wrong with capitalism unsaid. Both shows say alot without needing to.

e: wait wtf rjd2 did the Mad Men theme song?!? That loving blew my mind. Of course!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

20th anniversary of Fellowship of the Ring is this Sunday! gently caress, I'm old!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1dU1HZ_73M

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

goddamn you werent kiddin

quote:

I’ve talked to multiple people who have worked on The Goldbergs who said that they felt demeaned and disrespected multiple times by language you used on set, and by some of your physical actions.

I gotta be honest with you. I don’t even know how to respond to that, because as a comedian, if somebody is offended by what I say I, all I can say is, I’m sorry. Okay? I have never physically come at anyone, for any reason, so that I find terribly confusing and untrue. Look, I’ve discussed this with the main crew. The camera department, the sound department, the lighting department, and all of these people who worked on my own movie—I did a movie for Netflix called Handsome—never have any problems. There was nothing. So whoever it is that feels this way has it out for me. That’s my true belief. I would never physically put myself to someone. And I would never hatefully say something to anyone.

I have talked to people who said that you touched them and you hugged them and they don’t want that contact from you. And you are putting the onus on them to speak up?

Again, I gotta be honest with you. I am a person who hugs for sure. And it’s quick hugs, but I didn’t realize that anyone was feeling—so if you want to write that story, that’s a true story. It puts the onus on them to say something, and I would gladly respect anyone who said, “Please don’t hug me. I don’t feel comfortable.”

oh my god, keeps he keeps doubling down.

quote:

The power dynamics in Hollywood are very skewed. So people—a little bit more now than they used to—will go to an HR, or some channel like that, to say, “I feel demeaned. I feel this is inappropriate. This is not something I’m comfortable with.” What I’m trying to understand is that people have repeatedly gone to HR—or have indicated to me they don’t feel respected—but when HR comes to you, you say, “I’m going to say what I say and do what I do on set, in terms of my language.” Yet to me you’re saying, “But I respect everyone.” Those two things don’t quite add up for me.

They most certainly do.

Not done yet. The people are going to HR because they do not feel that they are getting respect. So how do you square that with telling me that you respect people, when people are going through these channels because they don’t feel respect?

Okay. Well, here’s the thing. When I say I respect people, it’s like, “Let me know what you want to be called. Let me know what your boundaries are.” And I will [honor them]. I don’t do general boundaries, except for common decency. Other than that, I don’t. I’m a comedian and I’m sorry, but boundaries are meant to be broken. That being said, if it’s really a personal situation, it needs to be taken care of, I agree with that.

He really sounds like he sucks and thinks he is entitled to so much under the guise of being a comedian. and just lol at him swinging his dick around while on the set of the loving goldbergs. acting like the king of the walmart bathroom

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

excited to watch Jeff Garlin's special on Netflix: CURBED

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Finished Saved by the Bell s2 last night, ahhhh what a loving ending with a Zack Attack song. I'm not sure if it's just because the show has settled down now it doesn't have to introduce a bunch of new characters, but it felt more coherant and sure of itself than the (already great) s1. The main arc was a ton of fun, the mini storylines involving the older cast were nice to see and gently caress me if Lexi isn't the best character in any TV comedy right now. She loving kills every single line.

Shageletic posted:

excited to watch Jeff Garlin's special on Netflix: CURBED

What's Jeff going to say when he doesn't have Larry around to essentially repeat the dialog of?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

EL BROMANCE posted:

Finished Saved by the Bell s2 last night, ahhhh what a loving ending with a Zack Attack song. I'm not sure if it's just because the show has settled down now it doesn't have to introduce a bunch of new characters, but it felt more coherant and sure of itself than the (already great) s1. The main arc was a ton of fun, the mini storylines involving the older cast were nice to see and gently caress me if Lexi isn't the best character in any TV comedy right now. She loving kills every single line.

Hell yea, S2 was very good. Yes, Lexi is fantastic but Slater still steals the show imo. The actor playing Mac Morris is perfect for his role too. Some of the throwaway lines by/to Mr Dewey are hilarious. All of the original cast look like they're having a blast, and I'm sad Screech is no longer with us.

the new theme song sucks though, and while she is better in S2, Daisy is still kinda stiff to me

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQlhKUdp_vQ

No

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
does it not have a laugh track? I hate laugh tracks but I kept feeling like it was going to have one in those clips. also the original show had one. feels weird

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It feels nothing like the original which basically hooked me with the cast, chemistry, and flow. But I guess the real point is that its supposed to draw interest from people who were fans of the original but would otherwise not give a generic looking sitcom a second look. And I might do that. So I'm a sucker and it works I guess.

Now if you'll excuse me, I just saw a cheese commercial and have to make a grilled cheese.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Isn't this their third attempt at this particular spinoff?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Meanwhile, in trailers for shows that actually look good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTqlZkvbNVg

feedmyleg posted:

Isn't this their third attempt at this particular spinoff?

Yup.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

isaboo posted:

Hell yea, S2 was very good. Yes, Lexi is fantastic but Slater still steals the show imo. The actor playing Mac Morris is perfect for his role too. Some of the throwaway lines by/to Mr Dewey are hilarious. All of the original cast look like they're having a blast, and I'm sad Screech is no longer with us.

the new theme song sucks though, and while she is better in S2, Daisy is still kinda stiff to me

Yeah Slater has been great without doubt, he's just slipped back into the role so well. Completely agree about Mac too, he rides a really fine line of being the 'Zach Morris' (son) is Trash' while being likeable still. I was really hoping that they could've had something with Screech, it felt like a lot of things were blown out of proportion with regards to his life but alas it'll never be.

The theme tune does suck a bit for sure, it feels like a joke of 'this is what kids listen to now!' which kinda suits it I guess as the whole show is based around 40 year olds writing for teens and it being made fairly obvious most of the time. Thank god we had that In the Nick of Time theme though! Daisy has never bothered me, but I get why people have singled her out.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's not like Daisy is terrible or anything, but the rest of the young cast is amazing so it's a little more obvious that she's not as good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NOW it's Law & Order. Sam Waterston has agreed to come back for at least the first season of the original Law & Order revival.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

First CSI now L&O.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

NOW it's Law & Order. Sam Waterston has agreed to come back for at least the first season of the original Law & Order revival.

gently caress yes

GreenNight posted:

First CSI now L&O.

Just finished the new CSI last night and it was actually pretty good? From the ending I can't tell if they are doing another season or what but at 10(?) eps it was just right.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They are but William Petersen isn't coming back.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Get Jerry Orbach back

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Anyone watch MacGruber? Apparently all episodes are now on Peacock.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
...and just like that, Chris Noth is being accused of sexual assault (two women's stories included):

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/chris-noth-accused-of-sexual-assault-1235063596/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Station Eleven.

It’s pretty drat bold in 2021 to make a show about a post-apocalypse caused by a pandemic where the survivors are fighting against a creepy death cult wearing the guise of evangelical Christianity.

But if you can deal with that whole thing, the first two episodes were really good, Mackenzie Davis can play the absolute gently caress out of some Hamlet and the props people are clearly having a lot of fun coming up with what the diegetic props people could scrounge in a hellish wasteland.