Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Criterion has confirmed that you can snap the disc in half and send it to them that way. This makes it a lot easier because you can just shove it in any envelope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

what a world

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Even easier you can now snap it in half and just send a picture of it with your name and mailing address. I got the set today and it's all squished a bit sideways like the old cardboard cases they did when they first went to bluray.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Target is doing a buy two get one free on all movies and they have a bunch of Criterions online for like 25 bucks each

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
I'm fairly new to Asian cinema, only really watched parasite and memories of murder before, really liked the especially memories.

But watched Chungking Express s few days ago and absolutely loved it. Watched in the mood for love today and also found that good, although a bit less so than Chungking.

What do you recommend next? Fallen angels?

Woodenlung fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 7, 2021

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Woodenlung posted:

I'm fairly new to Asian cinema, only really watched parasite and memories of murder before, really liked the especially memories.

But watched Chungking Express s few days ago and absolutely loved it. Watched in the mood for love today and also found that good, although a bit less so than Chungking.

This is a really hard question to answer because there's no Asian cinema because there is no single Asia. Parasite is a South Korean film from 2019, Chungking Express is a Hong Kong film from 1994.

You might as well be asking what European films you should watch if you'd seen The Bicycle Thief and The Seventh Seal.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
But really, Taste of Cherry, the Apu trilogy and jellyfish eyes exemplify Asian film to me.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Woodenlung posted:

Happy Together is my favorite WKW, but really you can go anywhere from here.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I Before E posted:

Happy Together is my favorite WKW, but really you can go anywhere from here.

Happy Together is so great.

Personal recommendations would be Judou, Days of Being Wild, Tampopo, A Brighter Summer Day, Burning, Woman in the Dunes, and House.

Also Hiroshima Mon Amour though it's a french production.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

Cloks posted:

This is a really hard question to answer because there's no Asian cinema because there is no single Asia. Parasite is a South Korean film from 2019, Chungking Express is a Hong Kong film from 1994.

You might as well be asking what European films you should watch if you'd seen The Bicycle Thief and The Seventh Seal.

Yeah that's not what i meant sorry, the trouble of writing posts at 2 am. Was more of a 'which Wong Kar-wai film should i watch next"', as I've really enjoyed his style, and somehow never heard much about him before.

But thanks for the answers everyone. Will try happy together first. A bunch of the rest I already got on my watch list, just had little Wong Kar-wai on there.

Woodenlung fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 7, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A Brighter Summer Day and Yi Yi are incredible, although very long, slow and contemplative rather than the kinetic style in Chungking

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
after all that you might be ready for The Assassin (2015)

I'd say it's in the same category as The Color of Pomegranates with scenes more like moving paintings

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Burning, although it fits into the same category as Happy Together in that its a great movie but 90% of watching it is excruciating.

The Handmaiden is a better version of Parasite. Just don't watch it with your parents or anything.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

imo Burning is on the shortlist for best film of the 2010s, along with Fury Road and The Master.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

As far as South Korean movies about class struggles go (which is a lot of them), I liked Burning more than Parasite. But I understand why Parasite is more popular.

gently caress I'd really like a proper UHD release of Oldboy. I ordered the Arrow UK version from Amazon but never received it and I wouldn't like having a useless region B blu ray with all the extras that I can't watch sitting around.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

March titles announced! https://www.criterion.com/shop/browse?popular=coming-soon

Super stoked for a Last Waltz 4K.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

gently caress yeah Le Cercle Rouge is a definite upgrade from the DVD for me.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cacator posted:

gently caress yeah Le Cercle Rouge is a definite upgrade from the DVD for me.
Hell yeah

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Lumbermouth posted:

March titles announced! https://www.criterion.com/shop/browse?popular=coming-soon

Super stoked for a Last Waltz 4K.

wanna see that nostril coke in 4K

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I'm probably going to get myself something for Christmas and I'm down to the Cassavetes box set or the World of Wong Kar-wai (I'm definitely getting the former eventually, it's just one of those "I love them but they'll always be available!!" things I've meant to get but never got, like Night of the Hunter).

Realistically, how bad are the changes in the Wong box? I've seen and love Happy Together, In The Mood For Love, and Chungking Express, and while I'm not super crazy about what I've heard about the color timing changes and other little things, I really want the movies.

How bad are the changes, really? Do they take away from the films at all? I have Mood for Love on DVD and wouldn't mind an upgrade, but I'm not paying $200 for the Chungking blu, as much as my wife wants to get it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

How bad are the changes, really? Do they take away from the films at all?

Not really. :shrug:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Another "leaving the channel at the end of the month" recommendation: To Die For, starring Nicole Kidman as a local cable weather girl who dreams of being the next Diane Sawyer even if she has to kill someone. I heard about this movie a lot but hadn't managed to see it before now, it's really good, darkly humorous with a script by Buck Henry, good performances by all (including a young Joaquin Phoenix), Kidman's captivating, and then suddenly David loving Cronenberg.

Also how did Illeana Douglas learn to ice skate like that since IMDB trivia is not helping here.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Someone revealed a bunch of titles coming from Criterion before deleting their account. Turns out two of the titles were among the March releases ("4K Scorsese" and Le cercle rouge in 4K), so I think it's safe to expect these as likely...

Pulp Fiction - 4K/Blu
Antoine Doniel films - 4K/Blu upgrade (French and UK sets already announced)
Contempt
Homicide - Blu upgrade
As Good as It Gets
"Controversial French director without a film in the collection" is likely Irreversible, which just got a deluxe set from Indicator UK
"3 more Netflix movies from North American directors, one controversial not because of content" likely The Meyerowitz Stories, Mank, and possibly 6 Underground for the controversial choice
Howard Hawks film - likely Twentieth Century,
Paul Schrader film - likely Light Sleeper
David Gordon Green film - likely All the Real Girls
"French box set 4K upgrade from current Blu" is obviously Three Colors, which is getting a UK/French set
"French box set Blu upgrade from current DVD" is obviously Cocteau's Orphic Trilogy, which recently got new restorations

Also, while the Saul Zaentz Company already confirmed it as in the works, apparently a podcast revealed that Criterion is the label releasing a UHD of Amadeus.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
That's great, the Orphic Trilogy are all very good and I've been waiting for an upgraded Doinel box forever.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Uh is there any basis for 6 Underground because lol if so. Like Power of the Dog is right there as like one of the actual good movies Netflix put out.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Uh is there any basis for 6 Underground because lol if so. Like Power of the Dog is right there as like one of the actual good movies Netflix put out.

Bay wanted a third.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Someone revealed a bunch of titles coming from Criterion before deleting their account. Turns out two of the titles were among the March releases ("4K Scorsese" and Le cercle rouge in 4K), so I think it's safe to expect these as likely...

Pulp Fiction - 4K/Blu
Antoine Doniel films - 4K/Blu upgrade (French and UK sets already announced)
Contempt
Homicide - Blu upgrade
As Good as It Gets
"Controversial French director without a film in the collection" is likely Irreversible, which just got a deluxe set from Indicator UK
"3 more Netflix movies from North American directors, one controversial not because of content" likely The Meyerowitz Stories, Mank, and possibly 6 Underground for the controversial choice
Howard Hawks film - likely Twentieth Century,
Paul Schrader film - likely Light Sleeper
David Gordon Green film - likely All the Real Girls
"French box set 4K upgrade from current Blu" is obviously Three Colors, which is getting a UK/French set
"French box set Blu upgrade from current DVD" is obviously Cocteau's Orphic Trilogy, which recently got new restorations

Also, while the Saul Zaentz Company already confirmed it as in the works, apparently a podcast revealed that Criterion is the label releasing a UHD of Amadeus.

hot drat

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Where the gently caress is my Buster Scruggs blu-ray :argh:

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Where the gently caress is my Buster Scruggs blu-ray :argh:
Coen bros' The Ladykillers and Buster Scruggs are the only two Coen bros movies not on Blu Ray, I think

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Happy Hippo posted:

Coen bros' The Ladykillers and Buster Scruggs are the only two Coen bros movies not on Blu Ray, I think

The Man Who Wasn't There was confirmed as in the works and the mystery poster also said Barton Fink was getting a UHD. Kino Lorber claims they still have Blu rights for a while, but I'm guessing that if they can do UHDs of The Great Escape and Some Like It Hot, there's probably nothing stopping Criterion from doing a UHD combo only of Fink while Kino's Blu stays in print.

These are entirely speculative, but it's likely these films will get Criterion releases based on anniversaries coming up or other things that seem right:

- Singin' in the Rain and Casablanca highly likely, though could as likely get mainline Warner releases.
- Got a hunch that Criterion will do Pink Floyd: The Wall since it's been MIA for the longest time, it's the 40th anniversary, and there's a bunch of other Pink Floyd releases coming in 2022.
- I can't imagine them passing up doing THX 1138 for spine #1138, which would be a September or October release. It's a Warner property and the director's cut was done in 4K back in 2004.
- Thieves' Highway and Unfaithfully Yours are the last two Fox titles remaining to be upgraded to Blu and both have 4K restorations.
- West Side Story was rumored for a while and now that MGM titles are fair game for UHD, seems obvious with the remake.
- Possible Von Stroheim silents box since there's new 4K restorations of Blind Husbands and Foolish Wives, The Wedding March has been rumored for ages, and Greed has been highly requested (and is now public domain).
- John Huston's Moulin Rouge was restored a few years ago and hasn't had a Blu-ray in the US yet, an MGM title
- I think everyone already knows the most obvious next big box should be a complete Kurosawa one. 2023 will be the 80th anniversary of his first feature film and the 2009 25-film DVD set was released a month before his 100th birthday year.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Hoping controversial Netflix title, but not because of content is Army of the Dead

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
If they do the Wall, I hope they get Nostalgia Critic's the Wall and Dan Olsen's great take down of that video.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I think I got a hosed up copy of A Special Day, the picture is all brown.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Watched Tarkovsky’s Mirror last night. It’s a beautiful film with many memorable shots. But I’m not sure what I really watched. I’ve watched Solaris and Stalker before and these had much more of a plot line to follow. But this was much more a set of stories/memories connected with poems. It’s definitely going to require a rewatch.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mirror obviously has a lot of great stuff but being a film about a dude’s dreams there’s a strong sense of “you had to be there”. I owe it a rewatch - got the criterion when it came out over here but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Re-release The Third Man!!! :argh:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arcella posted:

Re-release The Third Man!!! :argh:

I wonder if some of OOP stuff is OOP because they've decided to do a 4k release in the near future

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Gripweed posted:

I wonder if some of OOP stuff is OOP because they've decided to do a 4k release in the near future

The Third Man was one of about 50 films that went OOP in 2011-2012 all around the same time because of Lionsgate's licensing of the entirety of StudioCanal's film library. They've only released about a dozen films other than Carolco titles. Jacques Tati's estate worked out a deal that allowed them to bypass Lionsgate entirely and make The Complete Jacques Tati happen back in 2014.

Criterion has managed to grab a few titles back for Blu reissues or upgrades...

Three Films by Luis Bunuel - features The Discreet Charm of the Bourgoisie, The Phantom of Liberty, and That Obscure Object of Desire (released January 2021, Blu-ray only)
Army of Shadows - Blu-ray reissued (no changes from original 2011 release)
Pierrot le Fou - Blu-ray reissued (new encode and cover art)
Le cercle rouge - UHD/Blu combo coming in March

Essential Fellini also features Blu-rays of The White Sheik, Variety Lights, and Nights of Cabiria

Kino Lorber got a bunch of titles for Blu-ray that they've released between 2019-2020 that were DVD-only (except two that were Blu-rays) with Criterion:

Port of Shadows
Kind Hearts and Coronets
Bob le flambeur
The Milky Way
Quai des orfveres
Alphaville
Billy Liar
Touchez pas au grisbi
Le doulos
Leon Morin, Priest - newer restoration and uncut (Criterion used shorter version)
Last Year at Marienbad - newer restoration

Lionsgate has released Blu-rays of the following:

The Third Man (4K restoration has yet to have a US release)
Ran (4K Best Buy exclusive released last month, previously had a Blu-ray)
The Man Who Fell to Earth
Grand Illusion

Which leaves these unaccounted for and likely with Criterion:

Le corbeau
Le trou
Blood of a Poet
Testament of Orpheus
The Fallen Idol
Forbidden Games
Mafioso
Peeping Tom
The Tales of Hoffmann - long rumored, had 4K restoration years ago

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Forbidden Games needs a reissue. What a treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I have both the DVD and blu ray of the Third Man. Too bad the DVD isn't worth near as much to sell or I'd have offloaded it already.

Escobarbarian posted:

Mirror obviously has a lot of great stuff but being a
film about a dude’s dreams there’s a strong sense of “you had to be there”. I owe it a rewatch - got the criterion when it came out over here but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Kurosawa's Dreams have the same problem. Maybe a little easier to follow but aside from Scorsese popping up they're a little too personal for your average viewer to get much out of.