Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm enjoying this opening line in the description for the paint:

quote:

BACKGROUND OF THE INVENTION [00011 1. Field of the Invention

This invention relates to an acoustic paint that can be applied to the wails of a room

oh it gets worse, did whoever put this together have a stroke whilst typing?

quote:

the sound is emitted from a speaker and transmitted unidireetionaHy to the listener.

Confirming there's no such thing as audiophile women

quote:

PCT/US2016/061208 for the sound to appear to the listener to be more realistic (i.e., live) and coming to him from different directions within the room, in which he is located.

:v:

quote:

By wav of example,

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Looks like maybe it was scanned in and OCR'd without quality checking.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

AlexDeGruven posted:

without quality checking.

This is a horrendous falsehood. The patent officers used the most accurate quality measuring devices in the world - their ears.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Patent law specifically avoids saying the invention has to actually work.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Neurophonic posted:

This is a horrendous falsehood. The patent officers used the most accurate quality measuring devices in the world - their ears.

I was talking about the quality checking of the OCR results.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm enjoying this opening line in the description for the paint:

quote:

By wav of example,
New thread title

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Though a helpful thread with reasonable advice available, this post is apparently something that just goes by with little comment.

Yuns posted:

Anyone else always have that moronic urge to upgrade or at least check out whatever is being hyped at the moment. I'm very happy with my headphone/mobile audio set up now but I can't help but follow the Thieaudio Monarch Mk II and 7Hz Timeless saga since crinacle ranked the Monarch Mk II as an S tier headphone and the Timeless as the best planar. It's incredibly tempting to buy them but I know it won't be a material improvement. So I've managed to resist buying them.

Likewise Hifiman's new Stealth Magnet version of the Arya had me the same way. I just thought the V2 Arya this year and the Stealth version had me thinking about trading in the Arya. Hifiman offered to let me trade in my Arya for the Stealth version for $325 all in. But before I mailed them in I checked out more reviews and learned I'd be trading in some soundstage for some accuracy and that it wasn't an unqualified across the board upgrade. So I decided to keep the older Arya.

The one thing I did change was I was using a Astell&Kern SR25 DAP (for a variety of reasons I prefer keeping my music separate from my phone) but managed to break the 2.5mm balanced plug socket. While it's back to Astell for warranty repair, I picked up an Astell&Kern KANN Alpha and am pretty happy with it. I chose it to drive full sized headphones and it can drive all my IEMs and headphones including my Audio Technica ATH-R70x and Hifiman Arya so now I can get far more use out of those since I won't be tethered to my system. All the limited independent lab testing of the KANN Alpha seems solid from an objective performance perspective and it uses the well regarded dual ESS Sabre ES9068AS. Not sure what it's like on power and current but it can push out 12 Vrms.

So now my primary mobile set up is:

A&K KANN Alpha DAP
L&P W2 DAC dongle for my phone
Qudelix 5K bluetooth dac amp for my phone
Hifiman Arya headphones
Hidition Viento-B iems
Galaxy Buds Pro

Doing a quick price search for their "primary mobile setup" gives you this:
A&K KANN Alpha DAP 1,099.00
Luxury & Precision W2 Portable USB DAC/AMP Headphone AMP 309.00
Qudelix 5K bluetooth dac amp for my phone 109.99
Hifiman Arya headphones 1,599.00
Hidition Viento-B iems 990
Galaxy Buds Pro 135

For a grand total of over $4000!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
This prolly wont help at all, but I find the Moondrop Variations and or Shuoer EJ07m to perform on par with things 1000+ bux. You can spend a lot more..

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

LRADIKAL posted:

Though a helpful thread with reasonable advice available, this post is apparently something that just goes by with little comment.

Doing a quick price search for their "primary mobile setup" gives you this:
A&K KANN Alpha DAP 1,099.00
Luxury & Precision W2 Portable USB DAC/AMP Headphone AMP 309.00
Qudelix 5K bluetooth dac amp for my phone 109.99
Hifiman Arya headphones 1,599.00
Hidition Viento-B iems 990
Galaxy Buds Pro 135

For a grand total of over $4000!

Does the OP owe you child support or something?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That listener knows whats up, though. Running IEMs for fast impulse response; earbuds over top for the strong mid range; and cans over all of that for sound stage. :discourse:

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

DumbparameciuM posted:

Does the OP owe you child support or something?

Do insane audiophiles dodge child support through DAC investments?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You seem unreasonably upset by this one post.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm not mad. Iirc, this is the thread where we make fun of people for spending crazy amounts of money on bullshit. Doesn't a $5000 setup for walking around your house fit the bill, or have magic rocks moved the Overton window so far that this is seen as anything other than crazy audiophile bullshit?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Most audiophiles who feature in this thread have spent more than that on a single set of speakers. $5k on mostly headphones and a total setup they can use almost anywhere isn't even a blip on this thread's radar when we see people specifically outfitting entire rooms and getting dedicated power lines for a completely immobile setup that almost certainly doesn't sound better. As daft as spending $1k+ on a DAP is.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

LRADIKAL posted:

I'm not mad. Iirc, this is the thread where we make fun of people for spending crazy amounts of money on bullshit. Doesn't a $5000 setup for walking around your house fit the bill, or have magic rocks moved the Overton window so far that this is seen as anything other than crazy audiophile bullshit?

Yes. Maybe it’s a poor ROI setup, more than I’d spend, etc. but it’s not the thing we really cover ITT, which is mainly pseudoscience and magical thinking and outright scam products.

Do I think that goon is hitting diminishing returns hard on his $5k headphone setup? Sure. But you can say that about any hobby or interest. A Boxster will get you 90% of the way to the experience of a 911 without hitting six figures. A Mazda Miata will get you 90% of the enjoyment of a Boxster with more reliability and way lower running costs for under $30k. A Honda Civic with a manual transmission will get you 90% of the enjoyment of a Miata without sacrificing the practicality and “one car for everything” value of a hatchback (and adding bulletproof Honda reliability) for even less money.

A $5k headphone setup is overkill but so is a $5k stereo hifi. Hell, so is a $1k hifi if you compare it to 99% of the music consuming public.

None of us care about one goon spending a bit more than usual (and not an unreasonable amount if you care enough/make enough, either. Plenty of goons spend $5k or more on their hobby. Go checkout any of the musician or photography or AI threads) because all of us do so to some degree. I have four vintage receivers. Most of us have turntables. Some of us even have tape decks.

What we care about is the extreme poo poo, the “investment banker spends $250k on a tarted up kit amp that some huckster builds in his garage” poo poo. Barring that, we care about all the copious woo woo poo poo, it’s literally in the thread title.

You hit it square on the head, a $5k headphone setup for listening to video game soundtracks or McElroy podcasts or whatever other insipid poo poo you know this goony goon listens to pales in comparison to your average idiot divorced dad justifying a $5k investment in tri-balanced hyperpolarized speaker cables on a forum of 60 year olds. It pales in comparison to amplifier pyramids, and tuning forks, and special magnets.

Come back to the thread with a $25k headphone setup and we’ll talk.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"Three thousand dollar iPod" [the one that guy has is one of their cheaper models] is a pretty good scam on Astell & Kern's part. Also I don't see much skin in calling that one guy out when he's not being an rear end in a top hat and trying to tell anyone else what to buy or criticizing cheaper gear.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah he's not going out and saying you're denying science if you don't think putting a doorstop on your turntable improves the sound.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
So to be clear, this thread only deals in pseudo-science and magic, not in spending massively outside of price/performance? He's NOT an audiophile?

The offbrand Pono doesn't count?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Just to be clear, we don't give a gently caress.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

LRADIKAL posted:

So to be clear, this thread only deals in pseudo-science and magic, not in spending massively outside of price/performance? He's NOT an audiophile?

What exactly is your definition of price/performance? Where do you believe the line is for a comfortably middle class person to spend on hifi audio gear?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It doesn't necessarily apply here, but for one, I'd say that anything pushing higher sample rates as improved sound quality, past the Nyquist limit is worthy of ridicule.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

This thread is for making fun of people who spend big money on things that have zero measurable effect on sound, especially if they ignore cheap or free solutions with proven benefits like room treatments.

Its also imo definitely for making fun of people that carry around absurd “portable” set ups when literally being outside or in your car destroys any benefit of having a reduced noise floor.

You can also make fun of people here who spend thousands on diminishing returns when they could get 90% of the way there by spending only a fraction. But I think this is a very easy trap to fall into so I have some sympathy here. But fwiw I could never justify $5000 on speakers unless I had a much larger salary, even though many here think that’s not a huge deal. I’m using a pair of vintage yamaha’s that perform just splendidly and make me happy when music is played through them.

taqueso posted:

Just to be clear, we don't give a gently caress.

But most importantly, this

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 13, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
“why are people uninterested and dismissive of this comparatively boring case presented mean-spiritedly in favor of way funnier and stranger examples that are much more entertaining and deserving of people’s attention ?!?!?!” I piss and moan

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

There was a guy on /r/photography that the dorkroom was making fun of a while back, because this dude was just *obsessed* with having the perfect camera gear for ultimate versatility. He was talking about buying and renting like $20k in equipment for an upcoming vacation. The best part was that he took the most boring tourist snapshots imaginable. Turns out he was just autistic and that sucked the fun out of it.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 13, 2021

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Ok Comboomer posted:

None of us care about one goon spending a bit more than usual (and not an unreasonable amount if you care enough/make enough, either. Plenty of goons spend $5k or more on their hobby. Go checkout any of the musician or photography or AI threads) because all of us do so to some degree. I have four vintage receivers. Most of us have turntables. Some of us even have tape decks.

I crosspost in AI sometimes and while my 6' tall Magnepans or 200lb horn speakers are objectively ridiculous, I also spent like $2600 on winter wheels/tires for my sedan. It's important to be consistently stupid.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

DAPs are dumb / overpriced basically as a rule, but I don't think anyone here has made a habit of criticizing speakers / headphones, its an area where there's no end of engineering to be done and audible improvements to be had for it, even in the 'distinctly luxury good' price range. A $300 amp isn't notable regardless of what it promises.

Now, if they've got $300 cables between each component we've got some content here.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

polyester concept posted:

Turns out he was just autistic and that sucked the fun out of it.

that’s usually how most of these work out

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I have a $5,000 pair of speakers. But my subwoofer was only $800. Don’t ask me if that means anything. It probably doesn’t.

I won’t fault anyone who spends more than me. I won’t fault anyone who spends less than me. But I will happily mock people who wax poetic about speaker cables and other audio voodoo. The actual science of sound reproduction is interesting enough without convincing yourself that fuses improve sound, but only if they’re inserted in the proper direction.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Honestly my biggest issue is like the recording studio for the bands I like to listen to.. they don't have the best equipment. how can I as an audiophile convince them to use the cables, fuses, and moon rocks I bring to them to record, so I can enjoy the true woodtones of the rimshots?

Edit: Also Any time I come back to this thread to brows it.. I always think of this video.. except replace the transmission with like Speakers or a picture of a receiver.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hMAaOdNkgI

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 16, 2021

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

tater_salad posted:

Honestly my biggest issue is like the recording studio for the bands I like to listen to.. they don't have the best equipment. how can I as an audiophile convince them to use the cables, fuses, and moon rocks I bring to them to record, so I can enjoy the true woodtones of the rimshots?
Monster Cable realized this and wired up a bunch of studios and clubs as part of their marketing in the early 2000s. I've got to say this, they were at least entertaining, the current king of premium cable poo poo mountain is Audioquest and all they do is quietly buy other slightly more reputable companies.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DoesNotCompute posted:

I crosspost in AI sometimes and while my 6' tall Magnepans or 200lb horn speakers are objectively ridiculous, I also spent like $2600 on winter wheels/tires for my sedan. It's important to be consistently stupid.

Which wheels did you get?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TheMadMilkman posted:

I have a $5,000 pair of speakers. But my subwoofer was only $800. Don’t ask me if that means anything. It probably doesn’t.

I won’t fault anyone who spends more than me. I won’t fault anyone who spends less than me. But I will happily mock people who wax poetic about speaker cables and other audio voodoo. The actual science of sound reproduction is interesting enough without convincing yourself that fuses improve sound, but only if they’re inserted in the proper direction.

it means you need a whole lot more subwoofer

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

LRADIKAL posted:

Audiophiles don't buy offbrand anything, and an overpriced DAP is a tiny drop of morning dew clinging to the edge of a buttercup compared to the tsunami of bullshit that is audiophile cables. At least it does something.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I just don't get why these audiophiles don't go for a pair of Yamaha HS or other actual studio monitors that actual studio engineers use to check the sound of their actual recording and mastering sessions? 'cause it seems they /want/ the most /accurate/ reproduction of sound, and using the same equipment as in the studio the music was made in would pretty much settle that?

(I know the answer I just had to say it)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It's the same reason they don't like integrated amps or turntables with built-in preamps, the more individual components there are the more you can obsess over system matching and the performance of every single component. I've seen arguments about the sonic character of turntable tonearms. Powered speakers are starting to come around thanks to more home friendly offerings from KEF, Buchardt, and even Genelec. This is also a reason why companies making LS3/5A monitor clones like Harbeth and ATC are still so popular [even though the BBC design isn't particularly accurate]. The B&W 801 gets a lot of its fame from being in some famous studio like Abbey Road iirc.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm done with most powered speakers other than subwoofers. After going through the premature deaths of amps in 2 different sets of powered speakers, I'm sticking strictly with passives.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ethernet-switch-for-audiophiles

The title is pretty good.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I have a new digital audio link concept, if anyone needs ideas to implement:

Fiber optic link, but you can tune which color light is used for transmission.

Deep blue for optimal jazz, a warm yellow for opera, leaf green for the evergreen pops, and ultra violet for the darkest of black metal.
Complex pieces like The Four Seasons may also need you to tune the color between movements.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The problem with that concept is it would be extremely expensive and work poorly.

Did I say problem? I meant feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yuns posted:

I'm done with most powered speakers other than subwoofers. After going through the premature deaths of amps in 2 different sets of powered speakers, I'm sticking strictly with passives.

What brands were they out of interest?