Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Any tips for making a good start on anomaly? I'm just getting crushed out the gate by roaming factions, all the gear I find sucks, and makes it super hard to get the ball rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Play as ecologists if you want the most friends

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

School Nickname posted:

I haven't even bothered with them, they're just pure punishment. I've heard the easy way to do it is be an ecologist, get their exoskeleton and five full emptys. Live off red bull and epinephrine as you are a walking tank with lung cancer.

Is Escape from Pripyat as customisable as Anomaly? I've heard the economy is stupidly brutal and there's a dearth of mutants since the modders wanted to make the game Tarkov-like.

The water in swamps and the trash piles in garbage are bugged and radiation free. The ai won't path on it so you can cheese the hell out of it.

I find my wall right now is the walk back out of radar's lab when all of the monolith spawn. I found out that you can get in easily by sneaking in through the red forest instead of going head first in to rail gun hitscans.

I'm going to try to spam a poo poo load of land mines on my way in to radar's lab next time.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

arghy are you discussing stalker with you own alt? nobody else has typed "haha" instead of "lol" since like before these forums were founded
I've be saying 'haha' since 2007 in goonfleet instead of 'lol' because of my hate for ICQ, my plans shall come to fruition when everyone switches.

Moochewmoo posted:

Any tips for making a good start on anomaly? I'm just getting crushed out the gate by roaming factions, all the gear I find sucks, and makes it super hard to get the ball rolling.
The key to starting anomaly is being a hoarding rabbit, explore everywhere you can but at a full sprint and loot everything you can. Never try to fight until you've got a repaired rifle and at least a tier3 suit. You can adjust the carry weight limit and i'd advise doing so because it's balanced for endgame where you have backpacks and suit slots. Be sure to dump everything you don't need into stashes so you can carry more--if you come across a battlefield with multiple bodies you don't wanna be stuck with a full inventory.

Floor is lava posted:

The water in swamps and the trash piles in garbage are bugged and radiation free. The ai won't path on it so you can cheese the hell out of it.

I find my wall right now is the walk back out of radar's lab when all of the monolith spawn. I found out that you can get in easily by sneaking in through the red forest instead of going head first in to rail gun hitscans.

I'm going to try to spam a poo poo load of land mines on my way in to radar's lab next time.

They fixed the water and garbage piles in EFP, water in the great swamp is super radioactive and the trash piles will have bands of insane radiation near their base but not on top. There's anomalies and stashes up there so i assume that it's intended for you to be up there. I didn't even think about going to radar from the red forest! Totally gonna do that in my current run though i've thought about slapping a monolith patch on my nosrog and just waltzing in too haha.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

arghy are you discussing stalker with you own alt? nobody else has typed "haha" instead of "lol" since like before these forums were founded

Lol I can’t speak for Arghy, but I think it’s just that my old ICQ typing habits never died.

e: I just saw his response about typing “haha” due to hating ICQ and now I am questioning everything. gently caress, I’m from Ohio, we are just weird here and I’ve been doing it since 1998. :smith:

Fosson fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 17, 2021

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I had an intervention in my everquest guild because i refused to use 'lol' including arguments that it was more productive because it had less characters and was more expressive. I still refuse to use those stupid abbreviation and i will die on that hill.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Moochewmoo posted:

This is assuming you're going the standard Loner route start in Cordon which I'd recommended for starting off. First thing is to do the tutorial set of missions because it will at least provide you with some spare cash and junk artifacts (make sure you pick up the anomalous bread to sell while doing the anomaly tutorial). After that, take on a few missions from Fanatic and Wolf like guiding some other rookies or hunting mutants in Cordon. Once you have a few easy missions under your belt and some money, it's time to go to Garbage.

Head over to Butcher and minimally buy a hunting knife so you can harvest all animal parts possible from your kills. The hunting kit backpack is also a good buy early on because it will increase the yield you get off mutant kills. Butcher will give you missions to hunt mutants around Garbage and pays good prices for mutant meat and parts.

Next you want to head over to the market area in Garbage that's near the checkpoint before Rostok. You want to specifically deal with the daytime trader as he offers the best prices for early guns. Some good choices are the TOZ-34 under-over shotgun which can quickly kill most things you can unload both barrels into, and the Fort 17 pistol which uses the same basic 9x18 as your starter PM pistol but has far better durability. If you can swing it, the MP5 can be a great jump in power since it uses cheapish 9x19 ammo, you can put a red dot or ACOG on it, switch it to semi auto fire, and it becomes a perfectly decent carbine to dome early bandits and human enemies with.

Next is to upgrade your armor. The food seller over in Yantar will trade you gear in exchange for vodka (specifically the Neimroff brand vodka). One of his offerings is an armored suit for 20 swigs of vodka (note that this amount is 20 charges which you can see as pips on the item icon and not full bottles). Even if you have to buy the vodka, this is a great value as it is far cheaper than what you would pay for an equivalent set of armor. It will at least protect you better from the environmental radiation than your starter leather jacket. An easy way to get to Yantar from Garbage is to take the entrance to Wild Territory which will take you to a road that leads directly and uneventfully to Yantar while avoiding the dangerous spots in Wild Territory.

After that, you'll have enough starter gear to survive a little better and handle mutants and bandits. From there, take on faction missions, sell artifacts to the scientists in Yantar, mutant parts and meat to Butcher in Garbage, and you'll soon be making enough money to start upgrading your gear for better stuff.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
You can get a cheap shotgun with a scope from the weapon trader at the top of the boat for around 58k (price on the hardest difficulty) and then warp back to the rookie village via guides. You can the trade it to the female stalker for a hunting knife and decent armor with 3 belt slots. Way cheaper than buying it from the daytime trader in garbage.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Arghy posted:

I had an intervention in my everquest guild because i refused to use 'lol' including arguments that it was more productive because it had less characters and was more expressive. I still refuse to use those stupid abbreviation and i will die on that hill.

rofl

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Bah with guides just use quick travel, the concept of guides is cool for learning new places but gently caress if i wanna run that distance from the garbage to the bar every goddamn time when the games gonna crash from a memory leak in 2 hours anyways hahaha. I love the new zone design though with the garbage being such a great travel hub it's so much better going through there to get to yantar then loving wild territory that constantly respawns high end mutants and those mercs. EFP advises not to turn offline combat on but it just means it kicks off every time you travel to a zone which can become tedious esp when monolith is where it shouldn't be. As ecologist there's always monolith in certain areas with absurd gear compared to everyone else so you'll be expecting early guns then have a squad open up on you with assault rifles through the bushes.

Another great tip is take every goddamn mission you can get esp the kill stalkers and mutants because you still get rewarded if someone else does it. Beware the missions from normal stalkers as you can take a rep hit if they die before you complete the mission. Allegedly someone failed enough duty quests at the same time to go hostile at the bar which sounds hilarious. I usually have missions going from every unkillable NPC i come across that will often complete themselves while i'm exploring. If you turn disguises on you can also turn in tool quests to hostile mechanics for good money then kill them afterwards to use their bench for free.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I couldn't care less if a dev wants to sell cosmetic poo poo to techbros as it doesn't affect me in any way. Like, I don't care that idiots buy $5,000 wooden volume knobs for their hifi because those people can stand to be ripped off.

Or is it that the people who want to play STALKER 2 don't want anyone playing it who are on the NFT bandwagon?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Gromit posted:

I couldn't care less if a dev wants to sell cosmetic poo poo to techbros as it doesn't affect me in any way. Like, I don't care that idiots buy $5,000 wooden volume knobs for their hifi because those people can stand to be ripped off.

Or is it that the people who want to play STALKER 2 don't want anyone playing it who are on the NFT bandwagon?

It is because NFTs are helping to destroy the environment, Gromit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's basically "give us money and we will start a tyre fire and give you a certificate that we did"

It's not just that they're expensive and pointless but that they are deliberately, purposely extremely wasteful and the waste is literally the basis of their value because of how proof-of-work works.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 17, 2021

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Going to throw out my method of playing Anomaly:

Play as usual, but every artifact you choose to keep and not sell gets combined together into one mega artifact. I then mod in and spawn one custom artifact that has all the combined stats of your hoarded artifacts (minus radiation because that just won't work in Anomaly because there are no radiation reducing artifacts). Starts out standard hard, then gets easier to the point of brokenness as you get a larger artifact hoard. Eventually it will get too easy and you'll get bored, but it's a fun ride.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Gromit posted:

if it was just buying the character-in-the-game and cosmetics that'd be fine, but it being linked to NFT means it is linked to bullshit that hurts the environment and also the price of computer equipment poo poo, so even if you're not bothered by the environment it hurts your ability to upgrade your pc cheaply

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
God bless goons thank you.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Wafflecopper posted:

Such is life in the Zone, Stalker.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Ok, thanks for the detail on that.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/jaxson_davidson/status/1470933731548356614?s=20

(sound)
https://i.imgur.com/SH0fQ46.mp4

e;
Looks like the tweet got deleted.

e2;
HAHAHA.

Tweet deleted cause someone doxxed the location saying GO GET YOUR FREE GPUs!

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 18, 2021

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
I’m finally giving a Monolith playthrough on CoC a legit try and it’s hilariously more fun. Full blown scavenging your way everywhere, fulfilling assassination missions for fellow Monolith. Far more interesting having to sneak your way through places and a lot more run-n-gun and baiting people into more favourable battles.

I started at Radar, is there a Monolith friendly mechanic/repairman somewhere? I have not bothered to venture north to Pipryat or the NPP yet, so I’m just cycling though super jammy 20% guns i take off those i kill. Still no luck finding better armour

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Gromit posted:

For me it was "if they're gonna jump on this bandwagon, what other dumb poo poo are they gonna add to the game?"

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Ha so multiple times now i've heard poo poo moving and bumping around me that definitely wasn't ambient noise and it scared the poo poo outta me. It happened again in the great swamp so i ran to the top of a rock expecting a new mutant i haven't seen before or a hit squad sneaking up but then nothing happens then i see this splashing like somethings walking across the water. I'm like wtf is that so i get a hunch and whip out my detector and yup it's a loving invisible artifact just traveling across the zone. This happened again in agroprom and it was an artifact in the loving branches of a tree bouncing around hahaha. It happened again in the garbage but it was a bandit hit squad this time and i took a shotgun to the face and had to reload because i pulled my detector out expecting another invisible artifact haha turns out that brown outfits blend in really well with the garbage!

I'm starting to think the chimera is the same color as a flesh on purpose because 'oh that's just a flesh' is a very very wrong way to respond to a chimera.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Playing CoC Warfare and managed to take the whole of Agroprom for the Loners. Only problem is the Military sends a bunch of guys up the tunnel entrance by the factory a few times a day. I've been through the tunnels and I can't find any exits to Military controlled areas, so I assume they just spawn down there.

It's not much of an issue as my squads are now all heavily armed enough to treat them as an ammo farm, but it's kinda dumb in a mod about capturing and holding territory to have infinite baddies popping up in the middle of your base.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Alright ecologist in EFP is not a loving pacifist play through i'm seeing more combat than my loner run, it's basically the monolith wave crashing against the few safe areas. I've never seen the dead city pruned back to the mercs main base because multiple monolith squads have killed the roaming mercs. Dead city usually has 2-3 merc squads chilling in the outskirts with really good weapons but i watched one of their sniper squads die cornered and it was awesome but kinda frightening. I watched the freedom base get assaulted to the point that monolith held the front gate. I got the top tier PDA so i can watch friendly blips get killed off until almost entire areas are devoid of friendly stalkers just goddamn monolith squads.

It's thematic as hell but annoying--i wish the military had more outposts deeper in the zone because they're super combat oriented and stand the best chance at defeating a monolith squad in a fire fight.

Marty Crane
Oct 16, 2012
Installed Anomaly and am giving it my first real playthrough.

I dismantled my own PDA.

30 hours in, 10/10 so far.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I'm just hearing about Anomaly for the first time and haven't played these in 6+ years, am I understanding the mod right in that its just a standalone game? Do I need the originals installed at all? Lastly any mod recommendations on top of it? Death animations looks cool and is EXPEDITIONS worth it, watched a video with it and it looks impressive, though not sure how much is Anomaly.

Skimmed the OP but seems woefully out of date but I could be blind...

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

You don't need the base game. Just go to modDB or the appropriate links in their discord or w/e.

It's been around for a while, so it's hard to say what sweeteners modern users have been adding on. I'd suggest just trying it out and if there's anything you find really annoying, look around and see if there's anything that ameliorates the issue. There's a lot of options within the game itself, though there's some crap that there's no fixin' for.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Anomaly also has unpacking tools for the .db files included, so if you want to modify something in particular you can do that yourself if need be. I checked a couple weeks ago and the add ons on moddb were surprisingly high quality. Seemed like the most popular weapon mod has included all the new animations from [gunslinger] as well. Think its called Boombox or Boomstick or something

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

I'm just hearing about Anomaly for the first time and haven't played these in 6+ years, am I understanding the mod right in that its just a standalone game? Do I need the originals installed at all? Lastly any mod recommendations on top of it? Death animations looks cool and is EXPEDITIONS worth it, watched a video with it and it looks impressive, though not sure how much is Anomaly.

Skimmed the OP but seems woefully out of date but I could be blind...

I'd say skip straight to escape from pripyat which is a mod for anomaly that makes it really nice though you'll have to get used to all the features it adds and trying to figure out the new hi def models can be murderous haha. EFP has the best gun play any stalker mod has done so far, you'll get some real pucker moments and learn to not try to run until someone stops shooting at you haha.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

GSC posted:

Stalkers,

We have made a decision to postpone the release of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chernobyl to December 8th, 2022.

These additional seven months of development are needed to fulfill our vision and achieve the desired state of the game. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is the biggest project in the history of GSC, and it requires thorough testing and polishing. We are convinced that development should take as long as necessary, especially in the case of such a project.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I have this burning feeling the game will be delayed. I am also totally OK with this.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
If I can play this game before 2025 I will be pleasantly surprised

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Mordja posted:

If I can play this game before 2025 I will be pleasantly surprised

Hell, I'm not sure I'd bet on being able to play this game after 2025.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Mordja posted:

If I can play this game I will be pleasantly surprised

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Delayed to put more NFTs in, drat.,.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Delayed to put more NFTs in, drat.,.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

With all that radiation in the zone...

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Get out of here Non Functioning Testicles

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I mean, it's probably legit to work on the game because games are hella hard to make, and modernizing STALKER is no easy task. It's basically an open world game with all the warts and issues that implies.

...But it would be pretty funny if they're delaying just to see if the bad PR around NFTs dies down. Has that ever happened before? Not with NFTs, but a game getting delayed for 6+ months over something that doesn't have to do with development or a lawsuit.

E: or their NFT implementation was so integral that it's gonna take however long to unfuck NFTs from it :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

also lol of ANYONE expected this to be released on the initial date they said