Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

https://youtu.be/CDwsaOPt8WM

this thing. cool how you can see the guys face show up on the right hand side in the top down lidar view

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

polyester concept posted:

I am probably going to stick with aps-c until medium format drops a bit more and then skip full frame entirely :2bong:

this is exactly what good ol' k-rock says you should do :jeb:

i don't really see the need for medium format digital outside professional studio work. historically you'd use it for the greatly increased resolution, but 24-30 mp is enough resolution for nearly any purpose and you can get that in 135/full frame or even a crop sensor no problem.

obviously the enhanced light-gathering of the medium format sensor is great, and the decreased noise, but modern sensors are just ridiculously good at low-light regardless of size, and the huge medium format lenses don't tend to be that fast anyway so you're just kinda trading it off.

like it's fuckin bananas that i can go out in the dark with my z6 and shoot a photo at ISO 25000, 1/8 second at 135mm, handheld (with sensor stabilization) and it is not only well lit but completely sharp and still has less noise than a frame of Tri-X. that was completely impossible even, idk, like 6 years ago. fast lenses are now basically just bokeh generators

so on that note the one unique thing a mf camera can do i guess is give you the medium format bokeh, but again, really only something you'd notice in a portrait studio. idk

fart simpson posted:

those new dji cameras with the gimbal built in have a lidar focus system that looks pretty neat

it's neat, but what's the purported advantage of this over phase detection?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 17, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lidar focus reminds me of an anecdote about the F-117 stealth fighter: after they completed the prototype, they took a bunch of pictures of it, and the photos all came out blurry. after some head-scratching they realized that their polaroid camera used an ultrasonic rangefinder to measure the distance to the subject, and the plane's faceted shape was reflecting the ultrasound pulses away from the emitter just like it was designed to do with radar.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I absolutely do not need medium format, you’re right. I don’t even need full frame. it’s just fuckin cool.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

I absolutely do not need medium format, you’re right. I don’t even need full frame. it’s just fuckin cool.

amen.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

i dont really know but it looks neat. the only thing ive seen anyone say about it specifically is for video, it lets you see different potential focus points on a top down 2d view and drag on the touch screen to manually pull focus to exactly where you need it

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Sagebrush posted:

this is exactly what good ol' k-rock says you should do :jeb:

i don't really see the need for medium format digital outside professional studio work. historically you'd use it for the greatly increased resolution, but 24-30 mp is enough resolution for nearly any purpose and you can get that in 135/full frame or even a crop sensor no problem.

obviously the enhanced light-gathering of the medium format sensor is great, and the decreased noise, but modern sensors are just ridiculously good at low-light regardless of size, and the huge medium format lenses don't tend to be that fast anyway so you're just kinda trading it off.

like it's fuckin bananas that i can go out in the dark with my z6 and shoot a photo at ISO 25000, 1/8 second at 135mm, handheld (with sensor stabilization) and it is not only well lit but completely sharp and still has less noise than a frame of Tri-X. that was completely impossible even, idk, like 6 years ago. fast lenses are now basically just bokeh generators

so on that note the one unique thing a mf camera can do i guess is give you the medium format bokeh, but again, really only something you'd notice in a portrait studio. idk

The sensor definitely gathers more light, but low light performance isn't as good as you think; the sensor is olddd. Same one as the X1-D and pentax 645z.
It does have amazing dynamic range in good light, and the level of detail is intense. I primarily like that it's 4:3 and not 3:2 (gently caress 3:2), and having a longer focal length while retaining a wider field of view (not as noticable on this as it would be on something like large format)

Not quite the same comparison with the big $50k hasselblads and phaseones, those use an even bigger sensor (GFX is 44x33, that one is closer to 645 size). It's more like the apsc of medium format.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

yeah I only manually focus when I want to lock it to one zone for a while like taking pictures out of a window, focus by wire is kinda butt

i’ve used good and bad

the way the canon 100mm works is great, autofocus, but the focus ring then just works exactly as you’d expect it to, no acceleration either.

don’t like how the 50mm works tho

indeed

I think personally I like the idea that I can potentially use loads and loads of lenses.

the extremely nice camera rental dude has heck loads of canon lenses and I want to try them all. and also find cool people to take picture

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

I’m curious how accurate it is? because focus can’t just be good it needs to be spot on.

how does phase detection work?

i’m so impressed by how well my camera does autofocus. i am under the impression that it’s especially good amongst other systems but 🤷‍♂️

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

sony seems to be the most popular here, and then nikon

what
has anyone at all even said they are a nikon noodler

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

you would think being able to use all kinds of lenses is cool and rad but modern lenses are so insanely good it's not even funny

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

what

i have a nikon. the z6 is basically a sony a7iii with better ergonomics, though.

i also have an old canon 5d2, and all my lenses are pentax

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

what

i mean here, among irl people i know and what i see in the stores. not yospos

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Wild EEPROM posted:

you would think being able to use all kinds of lenses is cool and rad but modern lenses are so insanely good it's not even funny

yup

whenever i use good-for-their-time old film lenses on my camera I usually have to just accept that they’ll all be kind of soft by todays standards.

then when you go back to something modern with autofocus and image stabilization its like :piss:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

yup

whenever i use good-for-their-time old film lenses on my camera I usually have to just accept that they’ll all be kind of soft by todays standards.

then when you go back to something modern with autofocus and image stabilization its like :piss:

I adapted my 50mm f4 hasselblad zeiss t* CFe FLE IF etc etc the one with all the letters, basically the best they made in the early 2000s so not even that long ago, and the fuji 50mm f3.5, the cheapest gfx lens, absolutely wipes the floor with it in every single way. corner sharpness is better than center on the zeiss.

it's also like half the size and weight, in addition to having autofocus.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

echinopsis posted:

what

i have a d700 and 20/2.8, 50/1.8, 85/1.8 Nikkor AF and a sexy as hell 105/2.5 AI. I sold a d90 and a couple crop lenses that paid for the upgrade just before pandemic hit. it’s kinda old but that sensor + af is still fuckin great and it has all the buttons and knobs, big rear end viewfinder etc

i do both landscape and portrait and the whole kit is just great. add a nice off camera soft box (I have some monster octagon + speedlight) and you’re set for portraits

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
very nice. Very nice indeed

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

scottch posted:

a sexy as hell 105/2.5 AI

this is a good lens, i have one too. still takes extremely nice photos considering it was designed in the 60s way before they had computers, and still sold relatively unchanged until 2005. it has it's own history page on the nikon website

it was used for the famous "afghan girl" photo

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 17, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lenses are literally bits of glass held in a tube

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fluorite is crystalline, so it's not a glass.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
i bought a Sony RX100 VI a few years back and it still absolutely slaps, because it has the combo of 'seriously zoom-y', 'blasts out 20 fps while nailing the autofocus almost every time' and 'everyone thinks you're a dumb tourist because you have a pocket camera so they ignore you'. It also has a powerful flash for its size, so I'm bringing back the fill flash

excellent at taking pictures of far away places and dogs

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
i should mention that the menu system is the absolute rear end Sony 1st gen one, so you have to load all your configs into one of 5 memory slots to avoid janitoring your camera constantly

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Jimmy Carter posted:

'everyone thinks you're a dumb tourist because you have a pocket camera so they ignore you'.

this is what i love most about small cameras. i have been a hobby photographer for years and years but i always had some weird anxiety about being the guy who'd always bust out a massive DSLR and camera bag. taking pictures in public and around lots of people still makes me anxious, so i usually avoid it

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
i should also mention that i am in SF which has a recent trend of lensbros getting punched in the face and all their gear stolen from them, a thing which I am inclined to avoid.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jimmy Carter posted:

i should also mention that i am in SF which has a recent trend of lensbros getting punched in the face and all their gear stolen from them, a thing which I am inclined to avoid.

yeah I'm on russian hill a lot but I avoid the area right around twisty lombard

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Been leafing back through my old Flickr and the majority of the stuff from the cabaret shows I'm not that enthused about - there s a few nights where the venue had a good light setup and I got some pro photos, but mostly its all 'eh'

The few landscape shots I have (like the waterfall I posted earlier) I like a lot more, I guess I'm getting old.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

this is what i love most about small cameras. i have been a hobby photographer for years and years but i always had some weird anxiety about being the guy who'd always bust out a massive DSLR and camera bag. taking pictures in public and around lots of people still makes me anxious, so i usually avoid it

i’ve just decided i need to get over this. i know what you mean, huge vibe of everyone looking at me, but eh turning 40 has been a massive catalyst for me just saying gently caress it , if I want something to happen I am the only one who can.

just met up with a couple people. only caught them at the end but they were super friendly, and meeting some others tonight. turns out it happens all the time so i’m keen as to meet some new people

but taking photos in a public place of a model that’s doing their best to look good? yeah people are turning their heads for sure lol

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
yo uhhh, an FYI that PostImages doesn't strip EXIF data.

run either exiftool -all= <file> or at the very least exiftool -geotag= <file> if you want

(someone should probably add this to the OP)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't know that. I am ignorant to what I might be letting people know about me.

I did add it to the OP

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I took exactly 4 photos

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Get a fill flash for that first one

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’d ruin the entire effect that you can barely see poo poo coz you’ve got the sun reflecting in your eyes

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

that’d ruin the entire effect that you can barely see poo poo coz you’ve got the sun reflecting in your eyes

I think the lighting's fine. My inner aggressive cropper says to place your subject farther to the left to add more "mystery" as your eyes follow their sight line out off the edge. Also, I love the low angle of the shot... maybe if her eyes were looking more up there'd be more kind of a "heavenly" feel, while more down would be more "step on me, ma'am". As it is... it reads "enigmatic".

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
curious to me how you get so much out of it. does all of that just come to you or is it after a bit or analysis?

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

curious to me how you get so much out of it. does all of that just come to you or is it after a bit or analysis?

it’s a combination of looking at lots of pictures to figure out how they work and my adhd brain working in free association mode.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s interesting to me. i have significantly less ability
to elucidate my thoughts and feelings on an art than that

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i've had an okay camera for a while but i only got into photography really during the pandemic. im still pretty bad but i enjoy nature photography

i think this is my favorite photo because i identified this great horned owl by sound alone, and then found its silhouette on a distant tree purely because i remembered what the tree shadow looked like usually. Its at like the actual max ISO of my camera and a full second of exposure and it looks like tv static but it is a happy memory

these two are all around better pictures and better illustrate how far i've come but they dont have fun stories they're just birb

my only pithy photography tip i've learned that i remember is that if you point your shadow at the subject you can usually catch the sun in their eyeballs and it makes a huge difference in how animated the critter looks

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
HURP DURP IM BIRB. (Love it.)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nice pics, and love that dark one

ultimately, if the photo is interesting.. you’ve done a good job. I’m just trying to not be too cliche or predictable.

working with a model is way more challenging than it seems. its much harder work for the model than I realised and also a decent challenge behind the camera too, but it is a real pleasure working with someone who isn’t just sitting still for 2 seconds before moving.

I posted on a facebook TFP page for my city saying I had the weekend free and multiple people got in touch and I met some people doing a shoot and joined in. it’s pretty fun and impresses me how friendly everyone is, and how everyone just wants to share and get shot lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlEH8AESacU
:eyepop: