Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

i live in 400 square feet and i'm not nearly loving stupid enough to pay a $99 flat fee so i can buy a 24-pack of banana nut muffins that go moldy after i eat seven of them and get fat

income != lifestyle

i avoided that garbage as well, you can skip all that just as you would at a sams or whatever. also a nice place for good cuts of meat for stews and such. they'll have your larger locally-based businesses stuff there as well at good prices

also it's just sixty bucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
the muffins are sold in 2x mix-and-match 6-packs and yes it is Too Much cuz they are huge.

i wish i could pay 2/3rds the price for just a half dozen instead of the full dozen

it's one of my few actually legitimate complaints about the product volume sizing at costco, since they really aren't THAT-THAT bulk. Like they have candy bar packs to fill a vending machine with sure, but business is also a customer base of theirs. but a 12 pack of kleenex boxes? I guess that comes down to having a closet space to put paper goods in, but its not like a giant office sized carton, its just like 8 or 12 boxes, which is like most of the stuff, right-sized for a typical small to medium household with 2-3 people and a couple pets

the muffins are too many!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Broken Machine posted:

also it's just sixty bucks

and you gotta join a cult

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

no no, that’s the $120 executive membership option

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

are these like really good muffins or something? never had them and i'm not a big muffin fan. do they still hold up after 3 or 4 in?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
if you eat 3 or 4 costco muffins the question will be whether you can hold yourself up

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
theres a couple places here that import kirkland-branded stuff and they are ludicrously expensive. you gotta really like cornflakes to pay $15 for a couple boxes.

i only go there for their canned chipotle peppers; those are hard to find elsewhere.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Kazinsal posted:

no no, that’s the $120 executive membership option

which comes with a 2% cash back entirely separate from the credit card cash rewards which are on top

im 2/3rds the way thru my renew cycle and already met my yearly renewal cost.

I recall hearing the membership was intended to be free if you used it a normal amount, and like i said pages back, i get most of my household/paper goods/toiletries/bottled drinks there

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
m'airfryer

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
whats a credit card tho

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

i kinda smell what you're stepping in but i also hold that costco is a bad deal unless you're high five low six figgies. fresh food storage capacity is absolutely a class issue. i have basically infinicash for things at this level and i still have to deal with and get upset when a couple bananas rot. also its really difficult to deal with appliances like chest freezers if your remotely itinerant

same

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Broken Machine posted:

are these like really good muffins or something? never had them and i'm not a big muffin fan. do they still hold up after 3 or 4 in?

they're really tasty but each one is more calories than a big-mac.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

whats a credit card tho

handy tool for loiding poorly installed door latches.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

whats a credit card tho

you can get a combo membership + credit card that has all-in-all "Good Rates" on it, or just a plain membership card

the plain membership card lets you in the store and you get 1 or 2% back of your purchases towards renewal, so it ends up free if you use it even semi regularly

the combo one does the same as above but is also a Visa and you get a pretty decent spread of cash back rewards and i see an absolute fuckload of people using them as their daily purchase CC out and about both here and in denver

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Midjack posted:

handy tool for loiding poorly installed door latches.

i had to change the neck angle on my telecaster today so i took it apart and used the keychain membership card king soopers gave me as a neck shim lol

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

whats a credit card tho

a convenient tool that you use to collect Literally Free Money on purchases that you pay off every month

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

DELETE CASCADE posted:

a convenient tool that you use to collect Literally Free Money on purchases that you pay off every month

but you have to be wealthy enough to not be gated under Having Bad Credit to get one!

if you do meet that bar tho, here's you're free additional money

i usually use the amex blue cash preferred most of the time, or my costco citi visa if im getting gas since it has better points there

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
after seventeen years of not having such i got a $400 secured card this year. it lives in a box and i have autopay set up and i have sent my $29/month ting bill to it to do the "small payment, payoff on due date" thing which i hear builds a credit score. thats my story.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sniep posted:

It's time!

So first things first, when you arrive at costco, you need to get gas. Why at costco? Where else are you going to get gas at, genius? 76? Chevron? Shell? All those places sell gas that pollute the environment, way to go smart guy. I choose to get mine at Costco instead because I care about things like that.

Ok now that we've got gas we can move along to the store itself. Time to make the trek from the parkng lot into the store.

Cool we made it inside! Time to check out some of the great merchandise! First thing when you walk in you'll see some of the current special promotional items which are always hot sellers. Let's see what we've got up first:

Item #4413025 - Ninja Foodi 9-in-1 Digital Air-Fry Oven - $139.99

Item #2473236 - Cuisinart Digital Toaster Oven w/ Air Fry Settings - $159.99

Neat! Ok let's check out some of the rest of this huge, giant store! Let's check out some aisle endcaps - also a great spot to find great steals!

Item #2234400 - Oster French Door Toaster Oven With Air Fry - $149.99

Item #5232432 - Gourmia 7QT Air Fryer - $39.99

Cool bargain price on that one! Let's take a turn into the aisle and see what awaits us!

Item #3388088 - Ninja Foodi 10QT Air Fryer Dual Zone Technology - $119.99

Item #2443715 - Sur La Table 13QT Air Fryer w/ Rotisserie Basket - $119.99

Wow! Like I was telling you guys, this place is just incredible. I'd suggest you stop in yourself and check out what your local Costco has in-store!

literal lol

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's a class issue jonny but not for you. you're upper middle class. we've seen your bank account

nobody's telling non-six-figgie people to join costco here. people are telling you

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Jonny 290 posted:

after seventeen years of not having such i got a $400 secured card this year. it lives in a box and i have autopay set up and i have sent my $29/month ting bill to it to do the "small payment, payoff on due date" thing which i hear builds a credit score. thats my story.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-12-16/the-sec-has-big-plans posted:

If you are a young person with no credit history, or a person with bad credit history, you will want to “build your credit.” This consists basically of creating a long record of reliably repaying your debts, so that credit reporting bureaus think you are a good credit, so that banks will happily lend you money, so that you can buy stuff on credit cards and get leases and mortgages and car loans. If you have no or bad credit this is hard, though, since no one will advance you any credit, so you won’t have any debts to pay, so you won’t build credit.

There are canonical approaches. Banks will give you credit cards with low credit limits so you can start small and build from there. Or they will give you secured credit cards: You put $1,000 in a bank account, you get a linked credit card with a $1,000 limit, the credit advanced to you is secured by the money in your account, the bank takes no credit risk but reports repayments to the credit bureaus, etc.

What if there was a simpler way? Yesterday reader Sark Asadourian sent me a link to a Credit Building product from Canadian fintech Koho, and I haven’t stopped laughing about it since. Here is the “How it works” section of the website:

1 Start by subscribing to Credit Building for $7/month in-app

2 Sit back. We'll report your progress to a major credit bureau and help you grow your credit score in just 6 months — without having to lift a finger

3 Ensure there’s $7 in your Spendable account each month to cover the subscription fee. That’s it!

They will demonstrate to a credit bureau that you pay your bills, by sending you a $7 bill each month, which you will pay. What is the bill for? For demonstrating that you pay your bills. They’ll charge you $7 a month for charging you $7 a month. What you get for the $7 is a record that you paid $7. Which could conceivably be worth $7 to you! Possibly this is good for the customers! I cannot stop laughing. This is maybe the best financial product I have ever seen. 13 “For the low cost of $7 a month, you can pay us $7 a month.” Everything else is so dull and overelaborated. Imagine being the person who came up with this. Imagine the bright wild gleam in your eye, coming in to work that day to tell your colleagues.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

costco is laser focused with 10m a year of psychologists and behavioral experts on retainer to appeal to people like my mom, who "won't shop at walmart" because "the customers"

i used to not shop at walmart because "the union busting" and "the destroying local economies" but then amazon really stepped up for both of those to such a degree that it'd be silly to single out walmart at this point. these days i prefer walmart to amazon if i can. i try to minimize both but let's just say i ain't perfect here

this has basically nothing to do with the clear class (and often racial) bigotry that goes with what you're saying. i'm :justpost:ing

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i buy meat and paper products and sometimes booze at costco. also the 35/50 lb bags of rice and the giant bags of onions. im never gonna stop taking shits or eating rice as long as i live so :shrug:

i did have to get some shelves to store the poo poo in my apartment though, keeping 30 rolls of rear end paper around is indeed a conundrum in a 1 bedroom

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

keeping 30 rolls of rear end paper around is indeed a conundrum in a 1 bedroom

make a fort and become a manic pixie dreamboi

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

all that money going into walmart got some decent mtb trails in nw arkansas at least

all we get out of amazon destroying retail is expensive seattle real estate and dick rockets that don’t work

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

oh my god

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

when i was 20 or so i got a credit card and didn't use it very much and always paid it off. then i got an rei credit card that i used in grad school. it got me a good amount of camping stuff. at some point the first one got closed for inactivity. by the time i got out of school i had a really good credit score

i guess i got lucky that somebody told me to do that at some point and i listened. also i watched my parents fight over money enough that i learned how to follow budgets real well. i love my dad but he basically gave me a long lesson in "don't buy poo poo you dont need with money you don't have". luckily we were never in a position where we had to buy poo poo we did need with money we didn't have

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

super lucky elephant rice owns

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PokeJoe posted:

also the 35/50 lb bags of rice

Hi, you're my irl friend now. let's talk about how loving good rice is. i buy bags of calrose 30lbs at a time

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

rice ain't poo poo, give me BREAD INSTEAD

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PCjr sidecar posted:

all that money going into walmart got some decent mtb trails in nw arkansas at least

this is an extremely deep obscure cut and i just want to let you know that it's recognized lmfao

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
shouldnt you get the gas after youre done buying poo poo to get the cents off points or w/e

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Stereotype posted:

we are admitting that society has already collapsed.
ay call da batman we got a mfin jonkler over heah

PIZZA.BAT posted:

ah. yeah the one i went to down in dc was always a nightmare. it's much more reasonable here in pittsburgh
dc costco is crowded, possibly because neither MD or VA costcos have liquor

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

tldr: 1 million cases/day in early jan in the us most likely, but we'll run out of test infrastructure before then, lol.

that evokes an extremely “heart of the sandstorm moment in Dune” feeling for me: at the most intense, we won’t even be able to tell how intense things are.

Stereotype posted:

yeah i'm not sure how anyone can disagree with this, it's so obviously true

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

ur oil is always clean and easy to change after it gets dirty/burnt after a few fries, and if you fry like tempura or breaded poo poo or whatever its easy to filter out the crap and make sure you have that good clean oil
what’s the proper way to throw out used oil in large quantities?

costco: sometimes a good place to shop, also a good place to experience the stripped down fact of being one of many consumer cattle who more or less enjoy the experience and are awed by Such A Mighty Pen

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

DELETE CASCADE posted:

rice ain't poo poo, give me BREAD INSTEAD

oh wow we're gonna have to fight

i love bread

but i can't let this stand

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

:same:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

can't dip rice in olive oil, can't spread butter on it, can't toast it, can't make a sandwich out of it, like come the gently caress on

besides, everyone knows the only good rice is mexican rice, preferably in a burrito

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

prisoner of waffles posted:

what’s the proper way to throw out used oil in large quantities?

costco: sometimes a good place to shop, also a good place to experience the stripped down fact of being one of many consumer cattle who more or less enjoy the experience and are awed by Such A Mighty Pen

i used to see a car on the highway once in a while, with a large, homemade bumper sticker, black letters on a white background, in all caps that read THIS CAR RUNS ON USED VEGETABLE OIL

you could power a lovely car with it i suppose. apparently that's a thing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

DELETE CASCADE posted:

can't dip rice in olive oil, can't spread butter on it, can't toast it, can't make a sandwich out of it, like come the gently caress on

besides, everyone knows the only good rice is mexican rice, preferably in a burrito

cant make egg fried bread. get the gently caress out of here

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Jonny 290 posted:

cant make egg fried bread. get the gently caress out of here

it's called french toast my man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

so maybe this is controversial but i don't actually like going to costco, especially during a pandemic. the weird people blocking the aisle for a bite of food on a toothpick, the old white lady that will absolutely ram you with her cart because she got distracted by the seaweed snacks, all that poo poo. there is nothing enjoyable about buying things i need. sometimes i'll say "ok yes i will buy shrimp" or enjoy getting a down jacket for a good price or whatever but that's not enough to make it overall a positive experience.

it was cool when i could go when it was empty when i was in school but these days it's never pleasant even if im happy with my purchases

i just don't like shopping i guess. i used to love going to sprouts though cause i liked going HAM on the bulk spices and granola