Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

Phobos Anomaly posted:

This show is absolute dog poo poo. It needs a laugh track so I can tell when something funny supposedly happens. So far I laugh maybe 3 times per season. Larry David is a complete narcissist with absolutely no self or social awareness and doesn't give a flying gently caress about anyone around him. The first three seasons he's a complete rear end in a top hat to everyone around him and noone (except Susie, after the fact) ever calls him out for it. I mean he fires 3 chefs from his restaurant because he felt like it. And then half way through season 4 all of a sudden he's the victim and everyone around him is the overreacting rear end in a top hat. Except he's still completely unable to recognize social boundaries and just pisses people off the longer he talks, which is always too long. His friends are morons who never tell him to stfu before he says something stupid, and none of them attempt to explain or mitigate anything he says or does. And that's what really needs to happen. Someone telling this social retard to just shut the flying gently caress up, but noone does.

None of this is funny. It's just infuriating. The main character is an annoying rear end in a top hat, and shits on everyone around him with no consideration for them at all. Supposed to be funny right? He can never see when he's pissing someone off and just keeps on going. I'm sure that's supposed to be funny too. Can he just not understand when someone says "no"? Is the guy a sociopath? Is the show trying to turn a sociopath into a someone to laugh at?

Comparisons to Seinfeld are inevitable. George Costanza gets caught in the same kind of misunderstandings, but never drags out the situation with pointless monologues. He also has Jerry and Elaine to warn him when he's about to do something stupid. His story arcs are also interspersed with actual humor. None of which happens in CYE, where Larry is just the unrestrained social retard, pissing off everyone around him and being completely oblivious to it. Hilarious I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Lol @ Ted Danson being upset about 4,000 bucks.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The whole scene of Irma's daughter and her husband watching Larry on the cameras had me dying

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Larry going in for the kiss with Irma chomping on the food lol

Irma is the antithesis to all that Larry cherishes.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
God the whole House Husband scene had me rolling, with Larry coming up with Leon's new profession. "Lay it on me, when them motherfuckin' eyebrows go up, there's some bullshit coming down!"

mcmagic posted:

Lol @ Ted Danson being upset about 4,000 bucks.

"If I'm there, all of that money goes back in your fuckin' pocket. And some to me of course."

"Can ya go right now?"

"gently caress yea I'm already there."

Leon the House Husband, for when you need a motherfucker who knows a little bit about everything, and a lot about nothing.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ullman's killing it.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

Ullman's killing it.

This. Irma has been my favorite to watch this whole season, easily.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

Ullman's killing it.

yeah she's great

also love Leon's take on Little Women

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
Best episode of the season imo, hilarious throughout

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
Agreed
Best one this season so far!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Nice little article on Susie’s wardrobe. I’m glad to know Susie Essman doesn’t actually think that poo poo looks good. She looked like the loving Undertaker at that vow renewal party.

https://www.gawker.com/culture/susie-essman-unpacks-her-eye-popping-curb-wardrobe

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Henchman of Santa posted:

She looked like the loving Undertaker at that vow renewal party.

lol

Funny she thought Jeff, who fucks everything, was hitting Irma just cause of the lilac.

Strange Charm
Apr 6, 2008

1000 Sweaty Rikers posted:

yeah she's great

also love Leon's take on Little Women

It's incredible

“You like Little Women?”

“Fuckin' love 'em—”

“Yeah”

“—They call 'em ‘midgets’ or ‘dwarves’—”

“What?”

“—I stack two of them on top of each other, makin' one whole woman. Tap that rear end”

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

opengl128 posted:

The whole scene of Irma's daughter and her husband watching Larry on the cameras had me dying

I thought it was funny they expected him to act like a millenial and just sit staring at his phone. And I was with Larry for the most part but as soon as he touched the thermostat he crossed the line.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I’m glad this season is reminding us that Tracy Ullman is a GOAT.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ChesterJT posted:

I thought it was funny they expected him to act like a millenial and just sit staring at his phone. And I was with Larry for the most part but as soon as he touched the thermostat he crossed the line.

IDK picking everything up? Scratching his back with the thing? That was a bit much. Thermostat was simply beyond the pale.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Larry successfully cashing in the Jew card with the videographer was very good.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Nice little article on Susie’s wardrobe. I’m glad to know Susie Essman doesn’t actually think that poo poo looks good. She looked like the loving Undertaker at that vow renewal party.

https://www.gawker.com/culture/susie-essman-unpacks-her-eye-popping-curb-wardrobe

quote:

But Schilling prefers dressing Susie. “Larry’s clothes are nice, but they’re boring,” she says. There’s a formula to his pieces — all of which David apparently takes home — neutral colors, slacks, collared shirts, unstructured blazers, cashmere crews. No prints, no jeans, nothing cheap.

I loving laughed out loud.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Phenotype posted:

I loving laughed out loud.

Peak LD there

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

christmas boots posted:

IDK picking everything up? Scratching his back with the thing? That was a bit much. Thermostat was simply beyond the pale.

Oh I forgot about the backscratcher. Was it over or under clothes? Over I got no problem with, under is bad. And who cares if someone picks things up to look at them in your house? Do you live in a museum? That'd be like having a full bookshelf and getting mad if someone pulls a book out to look at it.

Edit: VV It's not like he picked up a ship in a bottle and shook it. He grabbed a magnifying glass and looked at stuff through it. I'd do the same thing.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 14, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Books are different. You can pick those up. Some things on shelves are fragile and just meant to be looked at. Books don’t count.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What an episode, there are so many amazing moments I can't even single one out or believe they're all in one episode.

Larry on surveillance is a gag I'm surprised they haven't used before, that was incredible. I was impressed Larry restrained himself enough not to hassle the kitchen staff.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Khanstant posted:

What an episode, there are so many amazing moments I can't even single one out or believe they're all in one episode.

Larry on surveillance is a gag I'm surprised they haven't used before, that was incredible. I was impressed Larry restrained himself enough not to hassle the kitchen staff.

It's sorta been used when he was playing with Susie's bra.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

rewatching the last episode, and the seduction of Larry David by Irma is some of the funniest stuff this season

I hope she comes back

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

COME ON AND WATCH ME

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I love her little emphasis on the last couple letters on some words - I am not sure if it's an act or how she is. For example, she's like, "Wanna watCH ?" She does it a couple more times and it's loving hilarious.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

("What have I DONE?")

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
the tiny buttscratch she does when walking away after talking about colonoscopy cleanse :discourse:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
This gif is absolute peak Curb for me. Such an amazing scene.

The entire stretch at Deidre's house was amazing. Larry refusing to leave, the hosts watching him on video like he was a toddler, the sweater tuck, and finally winning over the videographer. I think this may have been my favorite episode in a few seasons.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They "oh god no" when he pulls his pants down to the relief of him bizarrely tucking in his sweater

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I happened to learn it's J.B. Smoove's birthday today. He's 56 years old.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Ba-dam pam.

Jeff Garlin Exits ‘The Goldbergs’ Following HR Investigations Into On-Set Behavior

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Congrats JB, hope I never read an article about what a creepy entitled rear end in a top hat you turned out to be. jeff's a real dipshit it seems.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

quote:

“It feels a little surreal that he will never be here again but the mood on the set is ecstatic,” one person said. “In fact several people cheered when the execs said that Jeff would not be returning.”

lmao. Sounds like a curb episode

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
This feels like a Curb/Seinfeld plot where he wanted to leave the show but was trapped by a contract so he just started acting out until they fired him.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Hmm wonder if Jeff will stay on Curb, that's pretty damning. The detail on what Jeff actually did is kinda wild when you can find it

Even though Curb is not really serialized canon (is that the right term?) Jeff's still a decently big part of it to write off.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 18, 2021

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Jeff can join Marty in China

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

"He did note his penchant for dropping the word “vagina” on the set."

That part makes it seem like it's satire.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Inner Light posted:

Hmm wonder if Jeff will stay on Curb, that's pretty damning. The detail on what Jeff actually did is kinda wild when you can find it

Even though Curb is not really serialized canon (is that the right term?) Jeff's still a decently big part of it to write off.

I don't know, I mean I think it's perfectly legitimate that he got canned from the Goldbergs for that behavior. But unless he's being that way on the set of Curb, I don't really have any strong feelings about whether or not Larry should fire him.

Like I agree his behavior was lovely, but I'm not sure I think it's "fire him from everything" lovely. But that's just my .02.

E: Just based off that article, that is. If there's crazier stuff then idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

christmas boots posted:

I don't know, I mean I think it's perfectly legitimate that he got canned from the Goldbergs for that behavior. But unless he's being that way on the set of Curb, I don't really have any strong feelings about whether or not Larry should fire him.

Like I agree his behavior was lovely, but I'm not sure I think it's "fire him from everything" lovely. But that's just my .02.

E: Just based off that article, that is. If there's crazier stuff then idk

Sure, agree with you completely. Scale and context matter.