Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Anyone expecting Gohan to actually accomplish anything at this point deserves to be disappointed.

That said I'm interested in the premise of the movie still, but I want to see more Piccolo focus. I want to see the inside of his house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Maybe Pan dies and Gohan finally achieves Super Saiyan Green

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
There's only one good ending for this movie and it's a father-daughter kamehameha.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

TheHan posted:

There's only one good ending for this movie and it's a father-daughter kamehameha.

Masenko, surely

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

pik_d posted:

Masenko, surely

:hmmyes: this is the only version of this movie I'll accept now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Momomo posted:

Anyone expecting Gohan to actually accomplish anything at this point deserves to be disappointed.

That said I'm interested in the premise of the movie still, but I want to see more Piccolo focus. I want to see the inside of his house.

Honestly I’m just hoping Pan gets to do something cool for once

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

TheHan posted:

:hmmyes: this is the only version of this movie I'll accept now.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Videl and Gohan fusion dance to form a second Pan.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Going off the recent history of the series, Gohan's gonna get punched in the gut once and be completely defeated in seconds and then Goku will show up, beat the villains easily and say "wow I am so disappointed in my worthless loser son, Gohan"

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Maybe we'll finally see Gohan Blanco

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

kdrudy posted:

Maybe we'll finally see Gohan Blanco

Gohan Blanco isn’t strong enough anymore. What we need is Gohan Calvo.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The movie's gonna start with Goku and Vegeta sparring with Broly, getting every bone in their body broken, and spending the rest of the movie recuperating while everyone else does all the fighting

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Black August posted:

It’s a combination of a chronically overworked industry/staff/resources suffering through covid, so it’s a miracle the movie looks as good as it does and I’ll watch it straight-to-VHS if it sounds fun or if they at least finally let Pan go Super Saiyan

but it doesnt look good?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Casey Finnigan posted:

Going off the recent history of the series, Gohan's gonna get punched in the gut once and be completely defeated in seconds and then Goku will show up, beat the villains easily and say "wow I am so disappointed in my worthless loser son, Gohan"

Hey, this isn't fair.

There's a significant chance that instead of losing, Gohan will have a rough fight with a B-list opponent that he'll barely win by suicide attack and then when Goku and friends pick up Gohan's mangled body after the fact Goku will go "i'm really proud of you, son".

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

CharlestonJew posted:

The movie's gonna start with Goku and Vegeta sparring with Broly, getting every bone in their body broken, and spending the rest of the movie recuperating while everyone else does all the fighting

Pan defeats the villain with the help of Uncle Broly.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Casey Finnigan posted:

Goku is so proud of Gohan, he on e responded to, basically, "you're such an rear end in a top hat it drags down your whole universe's average" with "yes, but my son Gohan is so loving great he makes up for it and then some."

So exactly what you said and but Goku is going to say "I'm so proud of you, son" instead.

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica

TheHan posted:

pik_d posted:

Masenko, surely

:sickos:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Swear I’d kill for a super-savvy Venture Bros style take on DBZ and other shonens

I mean that’s TFS but I need them doing it with knockoffs and their own plots

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Shyrka posted:

Gohan's gonna get his rear end beat and Pan will go super saiyan and shout, "Leave my daddy alone!" as she blasts the villain across the map and it will be awesome.

gently caress, remember when Gohan used to just go absolutely apeshit and punch way above his level when he was a kid? Give Pan some of that!

I know that trying to ferret out the precise reasons why is always going to be a total mess when it comes to Dragonball's lore but isn't the 'canon' reason why Gohan has such huge potential because he's a mix of Saiyan and human? If that's the case could it theoretically get ever more heightened as it goes down the generations?

Like I know that Pan's abilities as shown so far are more based around wacky comedy so you can have a baby beating up Future Trunks and trying to steal his sword but regardless she's still effortlessly doing things like flying which none of the other partially Saiyan characters were able to do at her age.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Pan is the chosen one, with the ultimate mixture of fight monkey disease and terrifying intellect

She’ll be Blue by the same age Goku defeated the Red Ribbon Army

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Black August posted:

Pan is the chosen one, with the ultimate mixture of fight monkey disease and terrifying intellect

She’ll be Blue by the same age Goku defeated the Red Ribbon Army

Being intelligent makes you worse because you might realize there is more to life than being punched repeatedly

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Black August posted:

Swear I’d kill for a super-savvy Venture Bros style take on DBZ and other shonens

I mean that’s TFS but I need them doing it with knockoffs and their own plots

I've long considered Gohan to be the Rusty Venture of the anime world, so a series that continued his TFS trajectory of becoming increasingly jaded and bitter about all the Shonen bullshit he's forced to contend with on a daily basis whilst continuing to live in his father's shadow would pretty much be my dream show.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Andrast posted:

Being intelligent makes you worse because you might realize there is more to life than being punched repeatedly

See: Goku and Vegeta's rivalry

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

pablo gbscobar posted:

I've long considered Gohan to be the Rusty Venture of the anime world, so a series that continued his TFS trajectory of becoming increasingly jaded and bitter about all the Shonen bullshit he's forced to contend with on a daily basis whilst continuing to live in his father's shadow would pretty much be my dream show.

Gohan sighing as he tells Pan about the time he’s 16, just, oozing adolescent Saiyanism, just awful, and his father throws a tournament! Oh no he doesn’t invite fighters his age no, he’s calling the intergalactic police, the angels, the Destroyers, all for the big bash.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Uh... Piccolo? It's your landlord speaking. We're fighting a cliche, use your fake impossible magic to get us out of here. What's his power level? Oh you know, higher than evil robot ki, lower than evil demon ki. Just come burst out of a mountain or something until my dad gets here.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

They should really say something like Gohan's mystic powerup wore off or something due to non-use and him maybe losing touch with it. It was a stupid powerup to begin with, basically made him too broken for the level of narrative in DB.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

iamsosmrt posted:

They should really say something like Gohan's mystic powerup wore off or something due to non-use and him maybe losing touch with it. It was a stupid powerup to begin with, basically made him too broken for the level of narrative in DB.

They did that! And people got mad, so he re-earned it for the Tournament of Power.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The Krillin stand-in using either Master Shake or Billy Quizboy’s voice

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"How could you say that about Freeza?! I love Freeza, and Freeza loves me! He's not all bad! Freeza just needs someone to believe in him!"

"Goku, Freeza is a mass-murderer! He's pure evil, and you have to be the one to kill him."

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
So what's all this crap about power levels? You have huge energy balls, massive muscles, a whole saga named after you, 6 unique moves and 3 transformations you're like a level 90000000 or 100000000. If you just have your old gi and enough senzu beans to make it out of the Androids saga alive you're a 4000. Guess who's a 4000.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 19, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

khwarezm posted:

So what's all this crap about power levels? You have huge energy balls, massive muscles, a whole saga named after you, 6 unique moves and 3 transformations you're like a level 90000000 or 100000000. If you just have your old gi and enough senzu beans to make it out of the Androids saga alive your a 4000. Guess who's a 4000.

... Krillin?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

iamsosmrt posted:

Everything about that power up was bad. It wasn't earned, it did jack poo poo, and Toriyama has turned it on and off for Gohan ever since making it all the more inconsistent and pointless.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Professor Wayne posted:

It's not a return to his best look until he puts on his Piccolo shoulder pads and cape again

My boy is back

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The Bee posted:

They did that! And people got mad, so he re-earned it for the Tournament of Power.

I honestly didn't know this happened. It's still a really dumb power up.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

iamsosmrt posted:

I honestly didn't know this happened. It's still a really dumb power up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q01qq7QSXdI

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I was really tired of Gohan getting owned in his super saiyan form, so I'm glad Toei did the right thing and made him get owned in his mystic form too.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I thought the mystic form was just him using his SSJ power without a superfluous powerup and it was such a staggering increase because it was the Frieza thing of having near infinite potential that was untapped because he wasn’t a fight addict.

And he’ll, it’s not like the first time someone just got all their potential unlocked out of nowhere. Or second. Or third. Man, it’s kinda lol-worthy how that happened for Goku at like fifteen. Really sells that he’s pretty bottom-tier in the grand scheme of things and that his training is what makes him what he is.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Freiza and Vegeta all bullshitting in the gym, flexing how strong they are with just minimal maintenance, then in comes this yokel who's all "hi!! I do 4000 crunches a day and eat for three olympians" and they just loving freeze up and start desperately calculating how to fit 4000 crunches in while Potato Joe decides to do 8000 crunches with weights right then and there

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Team Four Star are doing their final (christmas) countdown, doing sagas this time. I'm not actually sure how many sagas there even are but there's at least 12 of them! I'm guessing the Frieza/Namek saga will be #1, but honestly I don't know.

I also have no idea how the forums will handle a link to a playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5j80D9V7lqb6ozY7Hyilw1uvq2tpmwuu

Edit: The answer is that the forums can't embed playlists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

pik_d posted:

Team Four Star are doing their final (christmas) countdown, doing sagas this time. I'm not actually sure how many sagas there even are but there's at least 12 of them! I'm guessing the Frieza/Namek saga will be #1, but honestly I don't know.

I also have no idea how the forums will handle a link to a playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5j80D9V7lqb6ozY7Hyilw1uvq2tpmwuu

Edit: The answer is that the forums can't embed playlists.

It's going to be Saiyan Saga or Namek Saga and I'm really not sure which.