Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

isaboo posted:

Mackenzie Davis?

I'm in!

She is very, very good in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

She is very, very good in it.

That scene in episode 2 where she’s performing while reliving the childhood memories…..fuckin fantastic

Also episode 3 was very Leftovers which makes sense as Somerville wrote for that show

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Escobarbarian posted:

That scene in episode 2 where she’s performing while reliving the childhood memories…..fuckin fantastic

Also episode 3 was very Leftovers which makes sense as Somerville wrote for that show

I want to see the entire production of Hamlet with her doing that! They stopped right before she got to the big monologue!

(And she better be wearing that cape made out of down-coats the whole time. loving such good props and costumes.)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

im sure it's good but my desire to watch pandemic themed poo poo while trying to survive a pandemic is 0

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

Static is actually a pretty good comparison. hosed up how underutilized he is.

IIRC Statis keeps having issues with ownership that puts it on the backburner. Although I believe that's all finally wrapped up.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

Is it a drama, action, comedy or what?

Definitely a drama, but has a few comedy bits so far. Including a scene with a guy auditioning to join the post-apocalyptic theater troupe by giving the president's speech from Independence Day, and as he does the music from the movie starts playing over him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/arawnsley/status/1472038888415838208

Welp I guess it was true after all

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That's a really weird way to word that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mackenzie Davis should be a much bigger star. She wasn't that bad in the Terminator movie either which is really hard to do.

Definitely need to watch it now. I love knives.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Mackenzie Davis should be a much bigger star. She wasn't that bad in the Terminator movie either which is really hard to do.

There are many, many knives and she is the owner of them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Armpit hair too

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I straight up don't remember anything from Witcher season 1 nice

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

For the most recent How To with John Wilson: when I lived in Queens, I was right near the bridge to get to Randalls Island and would go running there all the time. This episode was definitely an eye opener.

Also, while I wish the reincarnated John Adams had gotten a bit more screentime, I thought the parts with the NYC sanitation people were genuinely really interesting.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was a fascinating episode. I learned a lot of cool things!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bob finally won

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
what are things like in the timeline where the coup worked? do we got lying celebs trying to say they were there?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
There is so, so, so much naked Will Forte in the MacGruber series

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

what are things like in the timeline where the coup worked? do we got lying celebs trying to say they were there?

Buying degenerate art (latest hollywood release) at the bodega with a 40 of OE.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I saw an ad for a special event about Betty White's 100th birthday and part of the ad was showcasing the celebs they were going to have talk about her and one of them was Alex Trebek. Which just seems like maybe they should have taken his clip out seeing as he's been dead for over a year at this point.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Maybe they're going to have a Ouija board

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The MacGruber show is Peak Will Forte. However Will Forte you think Will Forte’s projects have been before, this is more. Thankfully, in this case it’s mostly his good qualities (although some jokes still go on for way too long)

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Station Eleven good. Was the sound mixing just crazy in the last two episodes though. I couldn’t hear anything over the music. I thought it was supposed to be thematic of Kirsten’s emotional state but it was all the time.

I can’t imagine surviving a pandemic and the only form of entertainment is Shakespeare plays and folk music performed by people who look like they charge crystals when it’s a full moon.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I'm perfectly happy with the idea of a new, mandolin-based music industry.

Numberwang!!!
Jul 24, 2019

I'm not sure what to make of Station Eleven based on the first 3 episodes. While this is more light hearted than The Leftovers, I think the same principles apply. The show is mainly about relationships and people dealing with trauma. If you want to get into the plot, mystery or logic of this universe then you're gonna have a bad time.

And just briefly going over the IMDB reviews, this is very obviously what's happening to like half the people watching.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Escobarbarian posted:

The MacGruber show is Peak Will Forte. However Will Forte you think Will Forte’s projects have been before, this is more. Thankfully, in this case it’s mostly his good qualities (although some jokes still go on for way too long)

The Last Man on Earth might be the worst show I watched every episode of largely because of Will Forte. When he hits it's great but at this point he clearly has a distinct tone and when it's bad yeah it drags bad.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Numberwang!!! posted:

I'm not sure what to make of Station Eleven based on the first 3 episodes. While this is more light hearted than The Leftovers, I think the same principles apply. The show is mainly about relationships and people dealing with trauma. If you want to get into the plot, mystery or logic of this universe then you're gonna have a bad time.

And just briefly going over the IMDB reviews, this is very obviously what's happening to like half the people watching.

Those reviews are so dire. 50+ reviewers and like twenty brain cells between them.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

The overlap between negative reviews and "art is gay and dumb"-sentiments is fascinating.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The ones complaining it’s too woke are very confusing.

I hate IMDb we should burn it to the ground

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

The ones complaining it’s too woke are very confusing.

I hate IMDb we should burn it to the ground

I really, really want to know what their definition of "woke" is. I'm pretty drat sure I know the broad strokes of what their explanation is going to be, but I want to see them try and define it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
jesus loving christ the finale of creamerie is devastating and disgusting and horrifying and oh my god these people are loving evil how can this possibly end well and there's not even a confirmed season 2 so this is just the bleakest darkest end to something I've seen in a while

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
im never going to be able to strap into the bate station again without thinking of Creamerie horror

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hehehehe god that was a messed-up finale

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The finale didn't seem that evil to me mostly because they have adorable kiwi accents. They sound like Hobbit actors.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Creamerie is on my list of shows to watch after The OA S2 and Succession S3 and I'm excited to see what I'm in for, sounds like a good time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean for what it’s worth it’s not as good as either of those two seasons which are both loving incredible BUT it is still very good

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I just started watching Creamerie and it is awesome.

I was cautiously excited for Y: the last man because I've never read the comic book and I don't like comic books as a medium but I've found that comics transition really well to TV/movies. So, I figured "Comic book other people like will probably be a show I like." In this case it did not work. At all.

Creamerie was all I was told to expect from Y but, like, good.

It is a solid show.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Anytime anyone mentions Mackenzie Davis I always think you're talking about Mackenzie Crook and imagine a much different show.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIHekYpkJO0

this is a very good documentary, lots of squirrel science. They buried some food with trackers to prove squirrels generally remember where they bury their acorns, and laid out some food dishes in a grid to make a topographical map of backyard squirrel preferences -- they ate the most from the dishes within 3 feet of a tree and near the front porch, while those near a fence with a guard dog were avoided. The video discusses competition between grey squirrels and fox squirrels in Chicago and grey squirrels and red squirrels in the UK. Fox squirrels are more prevalent in areas without leash laws because they taunt predators instead of running from them. They interview a professor who made a robot squirrel with which other squirrels communicated by tail flicking. I saw two squirrels communicating like that on my walk home, one adult on a low tree branch and one juvenile squirrel on a very high tree branch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh1HnMFolgw

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 20, 2021

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Just watching station eleven s01e01
Not really spoilers but just in case
"what happens when your phone dies? Do you die?"
Also, there is a shot 18 mins in which I said out loud to nobody "that's good, that's real good" you know those moments when a pilot does something where you think yes, this is a show I will probably like? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gloria Calderón Kellett, the co-creator of the beloved One Day at a Time reboot, has a new show on Prime - a single-cam romantic comedy show called With Love. Anyone checked it out?