Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Machai posted:

It's been a couple years since I checked in on Star Citizen. Is the game real yet? Are the jpegs people bought a long time ago now capable of being flown around in an actual piece of software? Have they run out of money yet? Any new cool jpgs get released?

No, no, no, and no. Or maybe on the last one. I don't know. Probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Machai posted:

It's been a couple years since I checked in on Star Citizen. Is the game real yet? Are the jpegs people bought a long time ago now capable of being flown around in an actual piece of software? Have they run out of money yet? Any new cool jpgs get released?

Since you've been gone for a while, let me catch you up: if the question you are asking is about whether or not any progress had been made or whether the people at the top of top have suffered any consequences, the answer is always, "no."

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Machai posted:

No, no, no, why yes, certainly!

e: oops new page

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Machai posted:

They made a tank. To drive on the ground. In a spaceship game. They made a dune buggy. I think they made a hand cart?

To the fans this means that their dreams of a fully realized scifi universe are coming true, and not that land vehicles are just really easy to make in Cryengine so it's a way to show progress. Any progress at all.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

They made a tank. To drive on the ground. In a spaceship game. They made a dune buggy. I think they made a hand cart?

To the fans this means that their dreams of a fully realized scifi universe are coming true, and not that land vehicles are just really easy to make in Cryengine so it's a way to show progress. Any progress at all.

How many real dollars does the fake hand cart cost?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Machai posted:

Pushing a hand trolley doesn't always crash the game now.

Using an in-game elevator doesn't always result in character death.

They haven't run out of gullible whales and new rubes yet.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Well hey, they did make a new trolling gimmick where you can heal someone to death and steal their items.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
I believe it's actually a playable game now. just a very tedious and buggy one and content is still only added at a glacial pace. plus they have repeatedly failed to develop the netcode that would actually be needed to deliver anything noteworthy that was promised.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Dear Cloud Imperium Games team, posted:

As a long-term supporter since 2016, I would like to briefly share a few thoughts on my part with you. Briefly about myself: I have been playing computer games with passion for about 30 years. I started with the Commodore C64 and now of course I play mostly on the PC. Where there used to be single player games, today multiplayer games are in the foreground. If you've been playing computer games for such a long time, at some point you get the impression that you've seen it all before. Nevertheless, there are always games that are really a milestone and will remain in your memory. Your game Star Citizen, I'm sure, will also be such a game, for the reason that you can tell at every point in the game that the will and the passion are really in the foreground, something really great and unique to create. You are all working on a dream project for us, a game almost too good to be true. With your passion for the development of the game and above all the great communication and closeness to the community, this project will be, I am sure, a complete success.

I would particularly like to emphasize that this type of game development is also something special at the moment.
After about 20 years, I parted with the Battlefield series painfully, because it wasn't a game for the community, but rather a money printing machine.

I think Star Citizen is the exact opposite. Of course, money also has to be earned, but here something is not just being developed for the sake of money. A dream is emerging here!

So, from me all the best, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Perish the thought that Star Citizen is a money-printing machine.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I love that so many star citizens preface their thoughts with them being gamers for 30 years. As if that gives them more credibility on the delusional garbage they spew.

I've been playing games since the Commodore 128 and that doesn't mean I'm a Harvard gaming scholar with tenure.

In fact, if you've been a gamer so long it probably explains why your brain is cripplingly broken.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
In my thirty years alive, I have cumulatively spent nineteen of them staring at a game screen, I am unable to function as a regular human being and in fact suffer crippling anxiety whenever I am faced with the prospect of venturing outside where I am susceptible to permadeath IRL. Now that I have established my credentials, allow me to explain in detail why Star Citizen is not a scam and why it's actually a good sign that when my character sits down in the cockpit they clip through the bottom of the ship and get sucked into the turbines...

.random
May 7, 2007

Applewhite posted:

In my thirty fifty years alive, I have cumulatively spent nineteen fifty-five of them staring at a game screen, I am unable to function as a regular human being and in fact suffer crippling anxiety whenever I am faced with the prospect of venturing outside where I am susceptible to permadeath IRL. Now that I have established my credentials, allow me to explain in detail why Star Citizen is not a scam and why it's actually a good sign that when my character sits down in the cockpit they clip through the bottom of the ship and get sucked into the turbines...

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Dual monitors account for the extra five years.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Mirificus posted:

We are coming up on the ten year anniversary of the most ambitious project in gaming .... And we aren't even 15% of the way there!

80 years til release

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Theses idiots are absolutely going to endow a trust in perpetuity for the sole purpose of funding Star Citizen after they die

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Imagine being a kid, having your uncle die and you're all sitting in the lawyer's office as they're discussing his will, and he passes down to you his Star Citizen ship.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

[father lying in hospital bed, the heart monitor beeps slowing, his voice weakening] "son, come close, I want to say something before it's too late"

[son, fighting tears, hoping to finally hear his father say 'I love you'' after so many years of never having time to be a dad] "yes father, I'm here, we're all here"

"Son.. I left the cargo hold.. full of slaves, sell them for your inheritance.. log in to my star citizen account and free them, transporting their corpses isn't worth.. the cost of rocket fuel.. "

[heart monitor flatlines]

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

"All...glory...to the... Stimpireeee-ahh"

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Imagine being a kid, having your uncle die and you're all sitting in the lawyer's office as they're discussing his will, and he passes down to you his Star Citizen ship.

Kid logs on and a cart blows up his Idris.

“What is this poo poo?”

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Do I look like I know what a jpeg is? I just want a picture of a got dang starship

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
lol there’s no way you actually own the spaceship jpg, you’re probably granted a limited license that CIG can revoke at will

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

space turbines

.random
May 7, 2007

Xenocides posted:

“What is this poo poo?”

Moments later: “Your account has been suspended indefinitely for account sharing.”

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Xenocides posted:

“What is this poo poo?”

Wait. They put Idris Elba in the game?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Machai posted:

They recorded his performance at the start of his career in 1995. At the time he was quite happy to get the work.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Star Citizen may well be the biggest multi million dollar project to not receive a single covid related delay in progress

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Worf posted:

Star Citizen may well be the biggest multi million dollar project to not receive a single covid related delay in progress

If anything covid has made the stimpire more effective

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Worf posted:

Yeah, only because 0% stays 0% progress

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yeah, only because 0% stays 0% progress

lol if you think they care where they get there 0s from

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Machai posted:

he plays knuckles

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m surprised that they haven’t turned the space jpgs into space NFTs

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m surprised that they haven’t turned the space jpgs into space NFTs

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and their money laundering bullshit is already working just fine

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Worf posted:

Like Bernie Madoff reporting the exact same account growth year after year no matter what was happening in the larger market. Because everything was above board and only smart people could give him their money.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Hey, I'm a marketer. It is my job. I have DONE predatory marketing as my job and I have ripped it apart as my job.

I could go into excessive detail about every single decision they've made, but I literally can't be bothered.

Just trust me. CIG are not predatory in any fashion with their advertisements/marketing. They don't even come close to it.

Are they innocent? No. Are they perfect? No. Have they ever been a bit shady? Yes. Are they predatory? LMAO. No. No they arent.

Edit: Fun fact, they're actually probably the least predatory gaming company i've personally ever seen. So, that's cool. :)

quote:

Happily. Let's go with a classic and egregious example, the Shadow of War lotr game when it first launched.

We can talk about lovely game design like characters locked behind pay walls, but that's not actually the worst part. Whenever you paused the game it would automatically throw you into the store and you had to exit out of the store to get to the options. You'd get pop ups I'm the game of deals on the store. And when in the pause menu the store button would flash and pulse and sparkle. Everything was designed to push you heavily to the spending of money. It was a manipulation to get you to open your wallet.

All marketing is predatory in some way, that's how marketing works. The difference is between the levels.

Do CIG actually manipulate us into paying for ships? No. In fact, they make it a nightmare.

The website doesn't even have a store location, it's in 2 hidden drop down menus called ship matrix. Not every ship is on sale and there's no way to view only those that are. Every ship has 2 pages, one with info, the other with info and sale price. And you constantly get 2-3 popups as you buy the item asking if you're absolutely 100% sure you want this item. The only ship advertisement they do is a trailer, and sometimes a banner on the home page.

You have to know exactly what you want to buy in SC to get it. You aren't led down the aisle, you aren't given FOMO tricks, you aren't even stuck in the item as you can always melt down and get the whole worth back which means you can reneg on your choice at any moment giving you absolute informed control of your purchases.

CIG, if honest, could do with being a bit MORE predatory. Because maybe it wouldn't be so difficult to a really give them money if they were.

Other people's failure of financial responcibility are not CIGs fault, they have been OVERLY permissive with making sure financial decisions are as informed as possible and within their players control.

They arent predatory.

quote:

You could describe it as: "They make an amazing product that sells itself and that makes us want to invest." Because that's all it is. They really aren't all that aggressive, we just are a really passionate community. CIG are about quality, and we like quality. :)

Now they arent perfect, they've made a few marketing blunders and dev blunders. I dont think the sun shines out of CRs arse.

But they're a much more moral game dev company than pretty much any out there in the field right now. They are the most open and transparent and the least predatory. That deserves some credit in my eyes. :)

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 25, 2021

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Idk why but I'm mad at that post and I only read as far as shadows of war

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Also I just saw the thread title and I literally don't even wanna fuckin know. It's not so much a game of whether it's about something depraved with these people, but rather how they consider it an intrinsic component of the experience

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I'm posting 3 times in a row I don't care

Did the Lord of the rings games even need advertising lol. I saw a YouTube video and was like oh smooth combat and good graphics wow I'm moved take my money because I'm buying this game for $9.99 on sale like every other game that company has ever made eventually gets to within like 6 months

E: no, really, I just saw somebody using what appeared to be a finished product and realized it was probably worth 80% of a movie ticket

E: oh thats right actually. The shadow of Mordor or whatever the first one, I bought it because it ran like a dream on a dual core processor and gt730 video card and also looked really nice too.

Tbh they really should have advertised more. That game engine was super scalable. When I upgraded my PC two subsequent times (gtx1060 and then 1080ti, higher res monitor ) it looked like a new game each time lol.

But importantly it played the same and just as fluidly at lower detail without making you feel like you were living in 1996. There's a lot of technical and contextual reasons for that based on things like lovely console generations etc but that's ultimately kinda moot

Worf fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 25, 2021

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Do you think those celebs that did voice/motion caption ever wonder why they have yet to see a royalty check after 10 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Asproigerosis posted:

Do you think those celebs that did voice/motion caption ever wonder why they have yet to see a royalty check after 10 years?

theyre probably still not sure what the first check(s) were for

star citizen will win an oscar for coming out after the entire cast is dead

croberts has...foreseen it