Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

PokeJoe posted:

there isn't one OP, our country is an oligarchy

so then what are people complaining about when they say the progressive caucus “gave up leverage” or whatever. unwinnable games might be stupid to play but it doesn’t really make sense to criticize any particular move someone makes in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

idk, ask them why they're saying it. i don't think they "gave up leverage" because i think they never had any to begin with

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But what these people assume is that, actually, they did have leverage!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
even if you assume they had the leverage, the only thing that leverage would have been used for is to spike the infrastructure bill. it would never have gotten the votes for the biden bill

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

even if you assume they had the leverage, the only thing that leverage would have been used for is to spike the infrastructure bill. it would never have gotten the votes for the biden bill

It 100% would have gotten the votes, because there would have been more leverage over Manchin.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
he was never going to vote for the biden bill. it was doa. the leverage would have effectively spiked both bills.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

he was never going to vote for the biden bill. it was doa. the leverage would have effectively spiked both bills.

He would have voted for the combined bill.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

lol didnt even think about this angle but if they keep this poo poo up by like 2032 the r's are gonna have enough votes to call a constitutional convention and well then its really all over

2032? they only need 4 more states to call a convention and uh, have you seen the polling numbers for 2022?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

i dont think so

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

2032? they only need 4 more states to call a convention and uh, have you seen the polling numbers for 2022?

They don't really need a convention to cement their power, just enough legislatures that can decide to disregard votes as they please. And they definitely have that already.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the thing about hostage-taking that the libs/dinos get is that you have to be willing to kill the hostage, which progressives never do

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

also Cory Booker got the ‘rona, gonna be an exciting couple of weeks!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

kitten emergency posted:

also Cory Booker got the ‘rona, gonna be an exciting couple of weeks!

omicron sweeping through congress would be a good xmas present

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

any rumours of the queen's death are fake news until gibbo tells us

https://twitter.com/nonemorenegativ/status/1201333381289648129?s=21

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Fame Douglas posted:

ah ok ty this is the argument that i didn’t understand was being made

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

kitten emergency posted:

the thing about hostage-taking that the libs/dinos get is that you have to be willing to kill the hostage, which progressives never do

you have to be ruthless to win, which they just don't understand

even the most outspoken, progressive dems are obsessed with :decorum: and won't go for the jugular when given the chance

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

The_Franz posted:

you have to be ruthless to win, which they just don't understand

even the most outspoken, progressive dems are obsessed with :decorum: and won't go for the jugular when given the chance

i mean, it’s also that the progressives are the only ones who want the hostages to live in the first place. joe manchin doesn’t care whether the bills get spiked.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

raminasi posted:

i mean, it’s also that the progressives are the only ones who want the hostages to live in the first place. joe manchin doesn’t care whether the bills get spiked.

the problem is, they aren't willing to take out the hostage takers to save the hostages

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

The_Franz posted:

the problem is, they aren't willing to take out the hostage takers to save the hostages

that's a constraint of our political system, not a question of willpower within it

if you think that the progressives should destroy the contemporary united states political system, well, sure, but even assuming they singlehandedly could, that's also what the right wing death cult wants, so we're kind of back to square one

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

raminasi posted:

that's a constraint of our political system, not a question of willpower within it

if you think that the progressives should destroy the contemporary united states political system, well, sure, but even assuming they singlehandedly could, that's also what the right wing death cult wants, so we're kind of back to square one

what im hearing is it has bipartisan support. sounds like a no brainer then

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
lol. I mean the second half ain't wrong

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

fart simpson posted:

what im hearing is it has bipartisan support. sounds like a no brainer then

blowing up the united states of america's federal political system could very well take out its administrative state, which could in turn end up very very very badly for anyone who relies on food stamps or interstate travel or the mail or medicine or national parks or any one of the multitude of other things that the federal government does that people largely take for granted. we have a very flawed country that is administered poorly, but it exists and is still clunking along. saying gently caress it and tearing it down has a very good chance of having very bad consequences. maybe, ultimately, we have no choice but to roll those dice, but responding to republicans' obstinance by giving them exactly what they want is not a decision i want to make lightly.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
we were in deep poo poo the second Gingrich realized just stonewalling the other party from passing anything at all when they're in charge- even if it has stuff you'd like in it, works very well at delivering midterms and subsequent elections to you

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

raminasi posted:

blowing up the united states of america's federal political system could very well take out its administrative state, which could in turn end up very very very badly for anyone who relies on food stamps or interstate travel or the mail or medicine or national parks or any one of the multitude of other things that the federal government does that people largely take for granted. we have a very flawed country that is administered poorly, but it exists and is still clunking along. saying gently caress it and tearing it down has a very good chance of having very bad consequences. maybe, ultimately, we have no choice but to roll those dice, but responding to republicans' obstinance by giving them exactly what they want is not a decision i want to make lightly.

doesn’t seem like it’s your decision

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

also yeah people will suffer in the collapse. but it might also improve the lives of a great many non americans

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
lol if you think the collapse is coming because someone decides to do it

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

fart simpson posted:

doesn’t seem like it’s your decision

that's true of all the congressional fanfiction in this thread, not just mine

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

my congressional fan fiction is warren and booker spreading omicron around the senate and house

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

fart simpson posted:

my congressional fan fiction is warren and booker spreading omicron around the senate and house
Omicron basically spreads on eye contact, you don't need to write fan-fiction about it going around DC.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

raminasi posted:

the current system, generally, results in rather poor outcomes for most people but we should definitely preserve it so that president desantis can send you to jail for teaching critical race theory

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/19/politics/stephen-breyer-gop-blockade-biden-supreme-court-pick/index.html

in a 7-2 decision...

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

kitten emergency posted:

the current system, generally, results in rather poor outcomes for most people but we should definitely preserve it so that president desantis can send you to jail for teaching critical race theory

the problem i have with this line of thinking is that eliminating a bad system doesn't automatically replace it with a good one and i've never seen any concrete proposal for how we'd actually get to a good system in practice

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

raminasi posted:

the problem i have with this line of thinking is that eliminating a bad system doesn't automatically replace it with a good one and i've never seen any concrete proposal for how we'd actually get to a good system in practice

america probably can't, but taking out america might allow other places to get to good systems. thats my thought on it

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

quote:

Breyer has told several people who've made unofficial efforts to push him to retire that he thinks the confirmation process shouldn't be political

definitely one of the finest minds in the country, so great to have him on the highest court in the land

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

something goes here about water being wet…

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

Five Republican senators raised the stakes around Justice Stephen Breyer's retirement, telling CNN they'd oppose any likely nominee out of this White House.

this is sedition, and they should be ejected from their offices.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

raminasi posted:

if we treated the disease you might get sick with a different, worse disease so we shouldn’t even bother

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

raminasi posted:

i don't take those things for granted. they're allowing drilling for oil in national parks, the postal service was intentionally disabled with no recourse, food stamps are cut at every opportunity, medicine lmao, etc. i think they're all doing a terrible job of preserving the land and nation for the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

this is sedition, and they should be ejected from their offices.

:rubby:

if democrats could take a similar stance and weren’t such spineless cowards, the current Supreme Court situation wouldn’t be so dire