Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Kvlt! posted:

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard?

Chronologically or just fuckin anywhere because drat.

I like Polygondwanaland and Gumboot Soup personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Kvlt! posted:

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard?

Yeah you can pretty much pick anywhere because they have so much stuff and it is all over the map musically and you're gonna get similar wide ranging answers. I prefer their earlier garage rockish sound so it's Fishing for Fishies, Teenage Gizzard, and maybe Willoughby Beach for me. My friend is all about the Microtonal Flying Banana album and whatever one had some song having to do with robots. Nonagon Infinity is the album that got them some sort of award so maybe start there?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Turbinosamente posted:

Yeah you can pretty much pick anywhere because they have so much stuff and it is all over the map musically and you're gonna get similar wide ranging answers. I prefer their earlier garage rockish sound so it's Fishing for Fishies, Teenage Gizzard, and maybe Willoughby Beach for me. My friend is all about the Microtonal Flying Banana album and whatever one had some song having to do with robots. Nonagon Infinity is the album that got them some sort of award so maybe start there?

Oh hey yeah, Microtonal Flying Banana is great. Is that the album that Rattlesnake is on? Check out that music video, it’s campy as gently caress.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Oh hey yeah, Microtonal Flying Banana is great. Is that the album that Rattlesnake is on? Check out that music video, it’s campy as gently caress.

It is. It took me a long time to warm up to it as an album too. I'll check the video out sometime. I think the vague robot song I described is the only music vid I've seen of theirs and it was all red and white CG graphics. Hence why I don't know what album it's from, my friend linked me to it as it's one of her favorite songs once. Meanwhile, I'm probably one of the few that liked Quarters, even though the gimmick for that album is kinda dumb and doesn't always make for easy listening.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Turbinosamente posted:

Seconding this. Teenage Gizzard is where I started and maybe my favorite of their albums. One of my friends started with Nonagon and I think Nonagon is one of their best albums so probably not a bad place to start either.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Since watching Midnight Mass I have enjoyed the absolute hell out of Holly Holy by Neil Diamond and cannot believe that I have lived so long without hearing it before. Are there any other similar Rock/ Gospel inspired songs similar to it that Goons might recommend?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

Since watching Midnight Mass I have enjoyed the absolute hell out of Holly Holy by Neil Diamond and cannot believe that I have lived so long without hearing it before. Are there any other similar Rock/ Gospel inspired songs similar to it that Goons might recommend?

Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show, also Neil Diamond

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus record from Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds might be your jam - check stuff like "O Children" and "There She Goes, My Beautiful World"

also The Band - "Chest Fever," "Tears of Rage," "It Makes No Difference," "This Wheel's On Fire," stuff from all over their catalog

on from there, maybe Dylan's Rolling Thunder-era stuff, see how Blood on the Tracks and Desire suit you

I dunno if I'd call it straight gospely (I mean, it's not) but in the same vein I've been mining, maybe the Bloomfield/Kooper/Stills Super Session record, which is top-to-bottom great anyway

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
If you’re going to do Dylan, his gospel albums are having a bit of a renaissance lately, at least the middle one “Saved” that people poo poo on for 40 years or so. Slow Train was always sort of popular and Shot of Love was only half Jesus-y to begin with.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfm-wTqXHqQ

And then if you want to blend secular dylan with coked-out-on-the-Lord ‘78 Dylan, you have Live at Budokan, which is probably the closest intersection of Dylan and Neil Diamond.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a8EIWLU5kPA

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I was thinking about also suggesting dylan's jesus years but I never actually listened to those records

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hexwren posted:

I was thinking about also suggesting dylan's jesus years but I never actually listened to those records

They’re all good albums in their own way. Slow Train is probably the easiest to get into. It’s got kind of a funky groove to it and while it’s got pretty obvious Christian undertones, Gotta Serve Somebody isn’t as obvious as Property of Jesus (both really good songs). Saved was recorded in Muscle Shoals and has a little of that feel. The playing is very loose, the loosest on record since Planet Waves probably. They sound like a great bar band or maybe a nasty church band. Jim Keltner is outstanding on the whole thing. Shot of Love probably has better songs overall than Saved, but it sounds very thin to me. A couple all timers though, Every Grain of Sand, Groom Still Waiting At The Altar, Property of Jesus (not an all timer but it’s good). Lenny Bruce is good. The most recent Bootleg series does a nice job of re-contextualizing the Shot of Love material.

Then you’ve got Budokan from 78 which is over the top and bloated and fun and sad at the same time. Maybe that tour was really the end of his old divorce albums persona and beginning of something new. There are some good bootlegs from that tour and also from the ‘81 tour where he was playing mostly his Christian material with more of a normal rock band, but the stuff killed live.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

George Harrison's My Sweet Lord, but I figure you've heard that before.

The Beach Boys had He Come Down, a very gospel sound, but about TM.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Forgive me if this has come up, but Spotify recently introduced me to Jacques Brel (specifically "la Chanson de Jacky"), and by extension Scott Walker. Other than letting Spotify play Jacques Brel radio, where do I go from here? Don't care if its English, French, or gibberish, just love the sound.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

stealie72 posted:

Forgive me if this has come up, but Spotify recently introduced me to Jacques Brel (specifically "la Chanson de Jacky"), and by extension Scott Walker. Other than letting Spotify play Jacques Brel radio, where do I go from here? Don't care if its English, French, or gibberish, just love the sound.
Listen to Fabrizio de Andre

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Ras Het posted:

Listen to Fabrizio de Andre
This is very much the stuff.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Brian Eno? I had heard some stuff a long time ago but never really made an impression on me. Recently I heard "No One Receiving" on the radio and was really surprised. Very strong Talking Heads and XTC vibes. Then a few weeks later I heard Fractal Zoom which I kind of love as like crappy lofi early electronic, and I am surprised again it is Eno.

I just listened to the whole of Before and After Science and it rules. As I was typing this post, YouTube played "Lightness: Music for the Marble Palace." This kind of what I remember Eno being. It's not bad but just maybe a little too passive or mellow for what I am usually in the mood for. I think maybe I should listen to Another Green World next.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Brian Eno has a bit of range. His first four albums are definitely strong, and you can see him move into the more ambient space that he would later get into later on. But if you're more interested in his song based stuff, then yeah, Here Come The Warm Jets through Before and After Science is a good run.

Another one to check out is Wrong Way Up with John Cale. It's really good and poppy, and there's a lot of great moments - One Word is a stand out, but Spiraling has a great ending too. It's all really good.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

Wrong Way Up with John Cale.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Toe Rag posted:

Brian Eno? I had heard some stuff a long time ago but never really made an impression on me. Recently I heard "No One Receiving" on the radio and was really surprised. Very strong Talking Heads and XTC vibes. Then a few weeks later I heard Fractal Zoom which I kind of love as like crappy lofi early electronic, and I am surprised again it is Eno.

I just listened to the whole of Before and After Science and it rules. As I was typing this post, YouTube played "Lightness: Music for the Marble Palace." This kind of what I remember Eno being. It's not bad but just maybe a little too passive or mellow for what I am usually in the mood for. I think maybe I should listen to Another Green World next.

i am biased because Another Green World is my favorite thing ever recorded but please listen to AGW. though I think his first four art-pop albums are essential. Taking Tiger Mountain is one of the most "double checking the release date" albums I've heard, I have no idea how Eno pulled off Third Uncle in 1974(!).

Wrong Way Up is a good collaboration, I also like Evening Star with Robert Fripp though that leans more into ambient Eno which is its own topic

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 31, 2021

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Motörhead ?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm at best a very casual Motörhead listener but I really feel like it's gonna be Ace of Spades

e: that's either kind of a dumb non-answer or I'll have picked up on it through sheer cultural osmosis :v:

While I'm at it - Simple Minds?

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 17, 2022

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

Motörhead ?

Ace Of Spades is their calling card, and everyone knows the track well, sure, but there are other excellent tracks if you like that kind of late 1970s speed-rock stuff. They were very prolific, and knocked out something like five-six studio albums in the five years following their 1977 debut, up to the album Ace Of Spades. Not bad, considering there were two years between their first album (which is... a bit scrappily produced and sounds a bit under-developed) and their second, Overkill, which is the band fully formed.

Motorhead fans might not like this, but for the casual listener, they're a band best served by a good compilation album - I'd choose Essential Motorhead - it's 39 tracks, roughly chronological order. The first disc covers debut up to Ace Of Spades, the second their '80s output.

Motorhead fans will definitely not like this, but the band can be a bit one-note. Not much in the way of nuance, and little sonic development. But what they do, they do, they do very well. And given that their best stuff is now over forty years old, it stands up very well.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Teach posted:

Motorhead fans will definitely not like this, but the band can be a bit one-note. Not much in the way of nuance, and little sonic development. But what they do, they do, they do very well. And given that their best stuff is now over forty years old, it stands up very well.

This is absolutely a fair criticism. I like Motörhead's songs but I find sitting through an entire album to be a bit tough. Start with a compilation, and if you need more, the three album sequence Overkill, Bomber and Ace of Spades is often regarded as the band's creative peak. If you still need more after that, hit up the first album and then go in chronological order.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

While I'm at it - Simple Minds?

New Gold Dream and Sparkle In The Rain. If you like those, work backward until you don't like what you hear. Once Upon A Time was such a ghastly disappointment after Sparkle that I bailed on Simple Minds, so can't say anything about subsequent work.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
On Motorhead I would also say Overkill as an album is a good place to start. It's where I got on board and still remains my favorite. I actually couldn't get much into Ace of Spades as an album for whatever reason.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The Mountain Goats?

I feel like I'm supposed to at least know about them and understand them. The few tracks I've heard just sound a lot like Ben Gibbard, Ben Folds, Neutral Milk Hotel, etc.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 18, 2022

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

The Mountain Goats?

I feel like I'm supposed to at least know about them and understand them. The few tracks I've heard just sound a lot like Ben Gibbard, Ben Folds, Neutral Milk Hotel, etc.

I'm far from being a Mountain Goats superfan or anything, but you can't go wrong with All Hail West Texas for the lo-fi sound and The Sunset Tree and Tallassee for the more polished indie sound. We Shall All Be Healed and Transcendental Youth are excellent too imo. Every album is at least good though and some of them revolve around a central theme like Beat the Champ (pro wrestling) and Goths (goths).

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

The Mountain Goats?

Yikes, Wikipedia lists 20 studio albums. internet celebrity has listed some excellent ones, and I'll expand a little.

All Hail West Texas was recorded using the microphone on a boom-box, and sounds like it, too. Get past the lack of production, and you're into some excellent songwriting.

Both Sunset Tree and Tallahasse are great. All Eternals Deck is rockier, but can I have a vote for The Life of the World to Come? It's an amazing collection of songs, and contains some of his best lyrics, IMO. Lovely stuff. Restrained, and it really lets the songwriting come through. Matthew 25:21 (all the songs are named after Bible verses) in particular hits hard.

John Darnielle is an easy artist to like. He's written three short novels and I've read the first two. I've just re-read Wolf In White Van, and thought it great. I'll try Universal Harvester again soon.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Maybe it's just a frequency illusion, but I am suddenly seeing references to them everywhere, and always in the context of "here's some weird poo poo that sounds like a John Darnielle lyric," or "I think that's the first line of a Mountain Goats song." My musical interest never seems to focus on songwriting, but some of them stand out like The Decemberists, Corb Lund, or Aesop Rock. Actually the first place I ever heard Darnielle was on the Aesop Rock song Coffee. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll listen to those albums.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

internet celebrity posted:

I'm far from being a Mountain Goats superfan or anything, but you can't go wrong with All Hail West Texas for the lo-fi sound and The Sunset Tree and Tallassee for the more polished indie sound. We Shall All Be Healed and Transcendental Youth are excellent too imo. Every album is at least good though and some of them revolve around a central theme like Beat the Champ (pro wrestling) and Goths (goths).

There's basically two types of TMG albums, the lo-fi and the polished. He's recently started releasing one of each a year.

All Hail West Texas is gonna be your best lo-fi album. Nothing For Juice was my first album of theirs, and it's a lo-fi album, and I think it's great. The other go-to lo-fi rec is the EP Nine Black Poppies.

For polished, I gravitate towards We Shall All Be Healed, because it was the first polished album of theirs I heard. I think Transcendental Youth is a great polished album and easy to get into. This might be a hot take, but I think one of their newest albums, Getting Into Knives, is one of their most approachable albums ever, and I like it more than Goths or Beat the Champ.

Something to consider with the lo-fi albums: there wasn't any grand scheme with going lo-fi, it was all based on immediacy. A lot of those songs were written in one or two sessions and then immediately recorded onto a tape, so they are as direct as a song can get from Darnielle.

edit: the other thing I'd say is, like Randy Newman and Bob Dylan and other popular song-writers, Darnielle is always writing his songs from the perspectives of characters or like little short stories. They're never 1:1 POVs of the author.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 18, 2022

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Teach posted:

but can I have a vote for The Life of the World to Come? It's an amazing collection of songs, and contains some of his best lyrics, IMO. Lovely stuff. Restrained, and it really lets the songwriting come through. Matthew 25:21 (all the songs are named after Bible verses) in particular hits hard.

Absolutely. It has Owen Pallet on strings and is possibly the best sounding album they have done. Hebrews 11:40 is my favorite MG song.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Franchescanado posted:

edit: the other thing I'd say is, like Randy Newman and Bob Dylan and other popular song-writers, Darnielle is always writing his songs from the perspectives of characters or like little short stories. They're never 1:1 POVs of the author.
I think this is what stands out to me about the songwriters I do like. Personal stories are ok here and there, but I find it hard to care after too many of them from one artist. Make up a character and tell me some funny or interesting poo poo to music.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

Maybe it's just a frequency illusion, but I am suddenly seeing references to them everywhere, and always in the context of "here's some weird poo poo that sounds like a John Darnielle lyric," or "I think that's the first line of a Mountain Goats song."
That's probably because "No Children" recently became a TikTok trend, gaining them a lot of new fans.

someusername
Jan 26, 2015
I got in the mood for some ambient and remembered that I liked Buckethead some years back. I had Coda, Enter the Chicken, and maybe another CD of collabs that was pretty cool but remembed Coda was super chill.

So I search for albums and see there are 100+ on Amazon Music?! And another search tells me he has 331 studio albums.

How what why and holy poo poo. I think I'm just in shock and don't know how to proceed.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I occasionally run across the name Flipper in relation to other bands I like. What's step one?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

hexwren posted:

I occasionally run across the name Flipper in relation to other bands I like. What's step one?

Album: Generic Flipper or whatever it’s called. I could never get into them but Sex Bomb is a pretty great track.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

hexwren posted:

Flipper is absolute genius but it's a harsh listen. Generic Flipper is their first and best album.

Here's a taste.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUsrJGe7SFE

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

hexwren posted:

Step one is to listen to both sides of the Ha Ha Ha / Love Canal 7''. It's one of the very best punk singles ever released. It got rereleased by Superior Viaduct a few years back but you can also find on their Sex Bomb Baby compilation.

Flipper were hilarious and great because they hosed with their audience like no one else. The b-side to Sex Bomb was just a 40 second lock-groove of a hardcore song where Bruce Lose tries to say something only to go 'forget it, you wouldn't understand anyway':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6Pu1wBHc54

They were so much before their times: noise before it became A Thing, anti-violence before Fugazi (check out the semi-legendary end of 'Ever' on the Sex Bomb Baby comp), socially aware in times where punk was coming into its machismo phase and played slow sludge where everyone was trying to be as fast as possible. Their live trademark was a thing called The Wheel where they played one riff for 30 minutes and the whole audience was asked to run around the moshpit with the band screaming 'I am the wheel!'. All of the above could be boring artsy poo poo if the songs weren't so goddamn catchy.

Be sure to check out their live albums. They were amazing.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't know anything Blur's done beyond "Song 2". Tell me what I'm missing out on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

blur is almost certainly my most favorite band of all time.

and song 2, as you might guess, is extremely not representative

however, their MO for the most part has been to have one big song 2-style rave-up per record, so if you dig that, at bare minimum, you'll enjoy tracks like bank holiday, we've got a file on you, popscene, B.L.U.R.E.M.I., etc.

they're a group that likes the loud guitar thing, but their main methodology is, with exceptions, extremely arch art-pop.

the first record, leisure, is extremely of its time, leaning towards the sort of stone roses/happy mondays dance-rock of the time

i mean, they're all extremely of their time, but work with me here

the next three (modern life is rubbish, parklife, the great escape) are their discovery of, obsession with, and burnout on navel-gazing about Britishness in a manner not as ascerbic as the fall or as joyous-sounding as the kinks.

the self-titled followed, with song 2 and, as some other record review I forget the source of at the moment put it: "message: guitars"

the following album, 13, was ballyhooed at the time as being "electronica" since william orbit produced or co-produced, but their drummer's been playing dance breaks since the first record anyway, it really isn't.

the last two albums are still good, but not quite as essential.

i know i sound rather disparaging here, but I'm at work, sorry. if I go into detail and talk up all the good things, I'll be here all night.

I don't generally like suggesting "start with the best-of" but most of these albums are CD-length, so they're essentially double-albums. also popscene, their first single to make people sit up and take notice, isn't on the original pressing of modern life is rubbish (though it appears on some US pressings) so...

there's two best-ofs. one's a single cd and came out after 13, the other's a double-cd and came out much later. both will at least get you a taste. even beyond the albums, they have an absolutely unreasonable amount of b-sides, some of which are really good, but it's advanced crate-digging for some of them