Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
recorded a chorus of blues. ignore my kid's tv show in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AahUG_cVAC8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nice! better'n me :)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
:)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
worked on my jazz bass all day

added:

* pull pot on the neck volume knob to put the pickups in parallel (normal mode) or series. series gives a volume boost and some more midrange
* pull pot on the bridge volume knob to put that pickup out of phase. the result is a very midrangey honky tone with almost no fundamental. it sounds really good through a fuzz pedal
* replaced the tone pot with that six position varitone circuit i was describing last week. it's SO good. first position is bypass and then positions 2-6 are increasing levels of mid peak and high cut, all the way from twanky slap bass to super low dub sub

so not even counting the independent pickup volume knobs and just thinking them as switches i have like uh 36 options for the general tone and probably 30 of them are usable. yay it's a nerdbass. quite pleased with it!

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

nice work dude. just lol at people that don't do everything to the point of insanity.

i built my keyboard tray today but won't attach it until tomorrow since i'm going to get new monitor. decided to go with a 32" 4k monitor instead of the larger one since I can get a good IPS panel, and to put my other 2 27" 2k monitors in portrait on each side.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the explorer I want to get (when it's back in stock... in april :smith:) has push-pull pots and I kind of want to get some push-push pots and wire those in instead. what a fuckin brilliant idea those things are

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
neat didnt know those existed

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

yeah, john petrucci's $4000 signature guitar has them, one for coil split and one for toggling a built-in boost preamp. first time I've seen them used and I love the idea to bits. turns out the pots are only like ten bucks each too so it's not some bespoke music man thing

that guitar is wacky fr. passive pickups but a 9V and a ridiculous multi-circuit board contraption in the back

the guts of that guitar are more complicated than my entire signal chain

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i still miss my old 6 bass, vol/blend/bass/treble, neutral in the middle, and a pull pot on volume for active or passive mode. i could make that thing sound like aaaaaanything

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im on a wiring kick so i ordered a P90 neck pickup, a big fatty pole piece bridge pickup, and a 4-way switch for my telecaster. the latter can be wired up for neck / both pickups parallel / both pickups series / bridge . liking my hot solder trend lately

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mods please rename jonny one of the following:

* hot solder boi
* solder boy tell'em

thanks and god bless

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
solder of fortune imo

i go where the road takes me, no matter where. my journey is always in flux

e: one of the things i miss about my ex is that we had a protocol, whenever i got the soldering iron out, to let her know to keep the cats away, i'd yell out "HOT SOLDER!" and she'd acknowledge with "OLD SOLDER BALLS!"

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

smd head

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

jonny

jonny you have cursed me

I remembered all of a sudden that there were only two of five screws holding on the back cover of my cheapo used ibanez bass and when I went over to play it it was cutting in and out and one of the two remaining screws had disappeared into the luminiferous aether. now I have the urge to rewire this thing with an absolutely baffling pickup configuration

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

do it. just absolutely nonsensical mods

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hahaha yesssss

(i bought a lot of 100 pickguard screws and a big piece of pickguard material because i too have several hosed up and or missing control cavity covers and will be fashioning new ones)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i havent even unpacked my jazzmaster yet :(

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im stoked b/c i got a really sweet deal on a 14" dell latitude with an 8650, 16 gigs of ram (can go 32) and an m2 disk. will be here later this week. gonna set it up for my looper project

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Jonny 290 posted:

im stoked b/c i got a really sweet deal on a 14" dell latitude with an 8650, 16 gigs of ram (can go 32) and an m2 disk. will be here later this week. gonna set it up for my looper project

latitude 5490s are great laptops, I have two

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah! and for the price i paid i will be able to jam 64gb of ram and a 1T nvme drive in, get a new battery and i'll still be in for under five hundo. i got a quite nice friend price. (its a 7490 but theyre v similar)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
borrowing this from the music library atm in preparation for the new mpc im getting

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Nice!

I finished my new desk setup this morning. I may move the whole thing to a different area so that I can better position the audio monitors, but this works for now. built a keyboard tray for my desk, and added the 32" 4k monitor

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that tray is perfect, nice job

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

thanks! i'm pretty happy with it. i need to raise the desk maybe 4-5 cm though so that my legs fit under it comfortably. that's a task for another day though as i don't feel like taking everything off it again

now it's time to finish up my mixer, and then start working on a design for a new desk that will be a behemoth. plan right now is to have it be able to fit an 88 key, and be a sitting/standing desk

something like this https://www.imovr.com/lander-electric-standing-desk-base.html

i have a friend in that does woodworking and makes desktops for people so i'll have him cut and finish something super nice for it, and i'll build another keyboard tray. this one is pretty stable and doesn't wobble, but instead of drawer sliders i'll prob use proper linear slides and have it motor driven so it can't move backwards/forwards when it's set. i've built stepper motor driven linear slides in the past so it should be fairly straight forward.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
omg that’s incredible

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CXzh1uAhOf7/?utm_medium=copy_link

that’s my music page. that’s the kind of thing I want to do more of, music i’ve made to video i’ve shot with graphics I did too, and a taster of the kind of music i’ll get doing

this way I don’t have to do “songs” but just a 10sec clip of a part of music I think is ok.

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

Tayter Swift posted:

borrowing this from the music library atm in preparation for the new mpc im getting

that's a cool old drum machine for sure, but it will in no way prepare you for using an mpc.

which model mpc are you getting, anyway?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that reminded me, i picked up a fake launchpad to trigger ableton loops for my looper project, havent hooked it up yet. will goof with it next week after i get the laptop set up proper style

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

relative_q posted:

that's a cool old drum machine for sure, but it will in no way prepare you for using an mpc.

which model mpc are you getting, anyway?

live ii

i'm just autosampling it in logic rn lol, this machine can pitch its gritty rear end 12 bit samples down two octaves and it sounds amazing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

that reminded me, i picked up a fake launchpad to trigger ableton loops for my looper project, havent hooked it up yet. will goof with it next week after i get the laptop set up proper style

if its anything like other novation products I wonder if it'll work as an in-scale midi keyboard

I use my novation circuit tracks as a midi keyboard, and if a launchpad is 8x8 then it would be effectively 8 octaves right there, presuming it can be used as a midi keyboard which I believe they can be.

I'm defo tempted to a mini launchpad for this purpose, because its pretty good because you also can't gently caress it up due to being in-scale

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah it sure can but i only need it for percussion type loop on/off stuff, anything with a musical note will be played through a guitar or bass. imma see what all it can do though. one nice thing is that it has endless encoders instead of pots for all the knobs. i hate pots for midi.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I need to watch some videos on how to ableton because I’ve got this midi keyboard and it came with a free copy of abelton lite and I have literally no idea how to program loops and stuff. i bought the keyboard for doing drum tracks with but never got around to learning how to do that :eng99:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it's such a large program with so many features. I would get familiar wtih the UI first before you worry about first principles actual individual drum programming. almost any release will come with a pack of like ten thousand loops of drums, keys, bass, everything and you can just play drag and drop into the channels and learn how to mix n match that stuff. even that is a lot of fun

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah it sure can but i only need it for percussion type loop on/off stuff, anything with a musical note will be played through a guitar or bass. imma see what all it can do though. one nice thing is that it has endless encoders instead of pots for all the knobs. i hate pots for midi.

I had this arturia thing with keys and endless encoders and the endless encoders sucked major balls. it was like you needed to turn them half a turn or so before the signal started sending, almost like they needed to be woken up. it was far from the smooth experience I was expecting out of the box

also had a novation launch key and that was so much nicer in so many ways but it had pots for the knobs which felt bogus for sure. the sliders were kinda handy though.

I keep thinking about getting something like that again but then smack my hand and remind myself that I actually have sufficient gear.

except a good PA. need louder

have you elaborated on this “looper project” before? is it something unique or ..? curious is all

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i used to have a full setup but sold/tossed half the stuff for it. just me playing guitar/bass (maybe just one instrument now!) running ableton with the Looper plugin on four tracks, with a midi foot controller to hit record/mute/play etc, with backing tracks on the side for drums. im working on getting the foot controller rehabilitated over the break. back in AR i played a couple of live sets at DJ park parties, using my old 6 string bass for the instrument

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Instead of buckling down and learning some Christmas pieces all the way through, I just bought two new books.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

echinopsis posted:

if its anything like other novation products I wonder if it'll work

ftfy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hell yeah, telecaster modded

replaced the lovely neck humbucker with a P90
replaced the lovely bridge with a big fat magnet single coil
replaced the switch with a 4 way. Now it has bridge / both (parallel) / neck / both (series) positions. the last one i like to call Blast Your Face mode. sounds great. the new pickups are so much better than stock

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I know nothing about electric guitars but I like the word “humbucker”

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

akadajet posted:

I know nothing about electric guitars but I like the word “humbucker”

oh we have all kinds of variations on it. motherbucker, trembucker, the list goes on

but yes its a v good name

i absolutely adore playing and working on electric guitars and if the world is unlucky i'll quit my tech job and outfit a trailer with a guitar fixin bench and you can pay me to show up at your luxury condo and i'll set up the action and restring the fuckin 1963 les paul your dad idiotically gifted you when he died. a lot of the tolerance and finishing measurements we use to set these up dabble into 0.05mm territory. it's actually a fairly precision job that still can't be done by machines.

e: here's my string action card. that gap between 1.5mm and 1.75mm is massive and i can totally gauge it now

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

yeah there *are* machines that can do full guitar setup almost entirely automatically but they're $250k and require a luthier's knowledge to operate anyways and to do the manual bits of so the knowledge of how to make a guitar un-bad will continue to be important

look up Plek machines, they use lasers and poo poo to perfectly cut and level new frets and map out tension at various points on the fretboard so you can set up the bridge and saddles perfectly etc.