Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Sounds really good tbh, I wanted to give Stationeers a spin before so I think once the sale starts I'm gonna get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
New to stationeers brain: Oh gently caress what is this what is a kilopascal what the hell why am i on fire why are there corpses
Medium to stationeers brain: What do you mean there's a computer you program in assembly
[this is the point where stationeers starts to overlap with nsa watchlists] Well if I keep the mixture sub explosive with a computer controlled valve I can probably make a building sized smelting furnace I wonder if that will- oh, guess that wasn't quite sub explosive enough

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

CuddleCryptid posted:

Valheim is not good to play solo

It's not bad, just the purely procedural nature of all the content means there is zero replay value once you've seen a couple of hours' worth of any of the biomes. Mining is completely mandatory but super boring. There is no reason to explore anywhere beyond finding enough copper, or iron, or whatever specific resource you need, and there is no method to doing that beyond walking in a random direction. The framework of the game is great, it has good gameplay, it just needs some content to give it a little solo staying power beyond the immediate basic requirements for any given biome. I liked it a lot, I just felt like I did everything the game had to offer in about 25 hours and had no urge do redo any of it :shrug:

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
I get that COVID is a thing and standard development time is a thing but I think they really are missing the boat on extending the life of their game.

There’s nothing inherently wrong with that if they were happy with their initial results but if they are trying to milk the cash cow some more, their update cadence (and their contents) is legitimately terrible.

My group played a ton when it came out but all of us but one have zero reason to return until something big happens

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

TeaJay posted:

One thing that bothered me is that you NEED salt to make bread, which none of us have managed to find yet.

hundreds of rounds for every gun I have, a thousand smokes, forty bottles of red wine and not one drat salt shaker to be had.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

We finally found two shakers and celebrated by cooking up some fish burgers. I dunno how long a single shaker will last, since I didn't see how much salt one has, just a nutrition value.

Of course we can never make cake or muffins since we can't find a baking pan or milk at this point in the game either. I dunno if the mod makers have got around updating theirs to the newest patch yet (probably not) but this is the kind of QOL stuff I'd like to add, even if we usually tend to go pretty vanillla (same as Valheim).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

there is actually an active salt mine in the suburbs of louisville

e: good god look at the in game map of lousiville :stare:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 20, 2021

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

New Zomboid patch sounds great, going to check it out tonight.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Warrior Princess posted:

It's very much a game that you benefit from having someone knowledgeable about it's mechanics around. The built-in tutorials are lackluster and also out-of-date.

Oxygen comes from a few sources, depending on planets. Mars and the Moon are the "starter" planets normally, so if you're on those, the easiest method is locating "Oxite Ice", which is something like 90% O2/10% N2. Mine it up and leave it in your mining belt, it can sublimate away if you take it out early. Next, build an Ice Crusher, some pipes, a pressure regulator, a canister filler, and a spare canister. These are all built in the Hydraulic Pipe Bender constructor.

Build the Ice Crusher, then use pipes to go from the gas output at the top to a pressure regulator, then from the regulator to the canister filler. Power the ice crusher and the regulator, then set the regulator to 6000 kpa or so. Place the spare canister in the filler, and the oxite ice into the ice crusher, then turn on the regulator and the ice crusher. You can use your tablet with an Atmo Cartridge in it to monitor the fill level of the canister. You may also need to attach a pipe heater to the pipe going into the canister filler as well, and turn it on and monitor it until the temperature is close to 20-30c.

The gas will be an O2/N2 mix, so to use it safely in your suit, you'll need to replace one of your CO2 suit filters with an N2 filter.

This is a really rough way of doing it early on, if you're getting low and haven't created a supply before your lander tank has run out. The lander usually has a big white tank attached to it. Just use the wrench to pop it off, then take your suit tank out and slot it into the fill port on the big white lander tank, then take it back out and put it back in your suit. You can survive tankless for the few seconds it takes to do this, and you can do this for a decently long time before the lander tanks pressure is too low for it to work like this.

Edit: I'm not an advanced Stationeers Nerd by any means but if anyone wants little quick tutorials on how to do certain things, I'll gladly make quick videos and post them to YouTube to help demystify stuff. I *really* like the game and would be happy to.
I guess my next question is does the game explain any of this? Like, even beyond the basics, how do you know to set the regulator to 6000 kpa? Is that tutorialized? I haven't played for a couple years so maybe they fleshed it out but I definitely felt like I was tossed in the deep end.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

e: good god look at the in game map of lousiville :stare:

Yeah it's really friggin' huge, I love it. We made our base relatively close to Louisville, made a few excursions there but still only scratched the surface on raiding the south side of town.

I tried looking for this location on the real life map but I don't know how meticulously they added some of those buildings so I couldn't pinpoint the exact location.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

TeaJay posted:

I dunno if the mod makers have got around updating theirs to the newest patch yet (probably not) but this is the kind of QOL stuff I'd like to add, even if we usually tend to go pretty vanillla (same as Valheim).

All the major mods have been B41 friendly for a looooong time, so the Soul Filcher's mods I mentioned as well as Long Term Survival (adds recipes for milk, butter, salt, propane, glue, etc.) work just fine.

With the change to gas stations having finite gas, something like Long Term Survival (drying meat/fruit/veggies) is even more of an essential thing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I think you are somewhere around here:

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

CuddleCryptid posted:

"The game is so convoluted, idk man"

"Oh its cool, just do these fifteen steps, you know what a kilopascal is right"

I never disagreed about it being convoluted in my post. :shobon:

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Vib Rib posted:

I guess my next question is does the game explain any of this? Like, even beyond the basics, how do you know to set the regulator to 6000 kpa? Is that tutorialized? I haven't played for a couple years so maybe they fleshed it out but I definitely felt like I was tossed in the deep end.

The game explains it when the canister detonates at 10,000 kpa, leading you to fill it to 9500 kpa, but then it detonates when you carry it into a hot room, so you set it to 6000 kpa, because you're real God drat tired of exploding!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Warrior Princess posted:

It's very much a game that you benefit from having someone knowledgeable about it's mechanics around. The built-in tutorials are lackluster and also out-of-date.

Oxygen comes from a few sources, depending on planets. Mars and the Moon are the "starter" planets normally, so if you're on those, the easiest method is locating "Oxite Ice", which is something like 90% O2/10% N2. Mine it up and leave it in your mining belt, it can sublimate away if you take it out early. Next, build an Ice Crusher, some pipes, a pressure regulator, a canister filler, and a spare canister. These are all built in the Hydraulic Pipe Bender constructor.

Build the Ice Crusher, then use pipes to go from the gas output at the top to a pressure regulator, then from the regulator to the canister filler. Power the ice crusher and the regulator, then set the regulator to 6000 kpa or so. Place the spare canister in the filler, and the oxite ice into the ice crusher, then turn on the regulator and the ice crusher. You can use your tablet with an Atmo Cartridge in it to monitor the fill level of the canister. You may also need to attach a pipe heater to the pipe going into the canister filler as well, and turn it on and monitor it until the temperature is close to 20-30c.

The gas will be an O2/N2 mix, so to use it safely in your suit, you'll need to replace one of your CO2 suit filters with an N2 filter.

This is a really rough way of doing it early on, if you're getting low and haven't created a supply before your lander tank has run out. The lander usually has a big white tank attached to it. Just use the wrench to pop it off, then take your suit tank out and slot it into the fill port on the big white lander tank, then take it back out and put it back in your suit. You can survive tankless for the few seconds it takes to do this, and you can do this for a decently long time before the lander tanks pressure is too low for it to work like this.

Edit: I'm not an advanced Stationeers Nerd by any means but if anyone wants little quick tutorials on how to do certain things, I'll gladly make quick videos and post them to YouTube to help demystify stuff. I *really* like the game and would be happy to.

Well I uninstalled it awhile back out of frustration.

If I recall the tutorial I found was building some pipe system into the wall and throwing the oxite on the ground near an intake vent or some poo poo.
And I had waited far too long to try and work it out, not giving it enough time to do it correctly before I just ran out.

Like I said though, I did like it, I just found that frustrating.
But have been wanting to give it another go.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?
It can be extremely fun multiplayer too, and they're currently working on a significant refactoring of the base netcode right now to improve that.

One of my favorite moments was when we had started a mars base, and I had done something to accidentally overpressurize the entire base to a point where the windows started groaning. So I found one of my friends standing under a glass roof panel and I hit the panel with a crowbar to remove it and hopefully launch my friend out of it. After the initial blast of air, I saw a blur rocket out in the corner of my vision then I replaced the window. I looked down and my friend was still there like "what was that noise", and I was confused about the blur. We started searching to find out what it was, and we discovered that our portable oxygen tank had shot completely across the base then straight up out of the hole, and landed about a full kilometer away.

Edit: I should add that when I say the built in tutorials are lackluster and out of date, I mean it. Some of them can't even be completed due to changes in mechanics.

Warrior Princess fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 21, 2021

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

TeaJay posted:

I tried looking for this location on the real life map but I don't know how meticulously they added some of those buildings so I couldn't pinpoint the exact location.

Yeah, that looks like it’s supposed to be river road. Why am I seeing pictures of louisville in this thread? Project zomboid has an approximation of it, it looks like? I might have to check it out and take pictures of locations in game and real life to post here.

e: I am trying to parse this map knowing where slugger field and papa johns cardinal stadium are, and I’m getting dizzy.

Chakan fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 21, 2021

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Due to the limitations of their building height (among other things), they said they did not do a 1-1 re-creation.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Warrior Princess posted:

I never disagreed about it being convoluted in my post. :shobon:

Don't get me wrong your post made me more interested in playing it, it was just funny.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Sorry for starting up the stationeers chat again. If anyone does get into it, the best advice I can give you is that the game is really designed for you to utilize the traders to survive. If you don't, you will almost certainly starve to death before you get food production going. Keeping a pressurized room at a consistent temperature and precise gas mix is something I still struggle with, and I have 160 hours in the game. Also look up how to make tier 2-3 tools in the wiki and make that your first priority, because they are a HUGE timesaver.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Arven posted:

Sorry for starting up the stationeers chat again. If anyone does get into it, the best advice I can give you is that the game is really designed for you to utilize the traders to survive. If you don't, you will almost certainly starve to death before you get food production going. Keeping a pressurized room at a consistent temperature and precise gas mix is something I still struggle with, and I have 160 hours in the game. Also look up how to make tier 2-3 tools in the wiki and make that your first priority, because they are a HUGE timesaver.

I feel like making a quick tutorial video now on how easy (lol, relative to things in stationeers) it is to make a tiny fast greenhouse that Just Works.

My favorite thing about stationeers is it embodies that Minecraft style modpack gameplay, where it's a total sandbox and everyone is going to have a different approach to solving a particular need.

There are just *so* many different ways of doing A Thing and I love seeing other people's solutions.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Warrior Princess posted:

The game explains it when the canister detonates at 10,000 kpa, leading you to fill it to 9500 kpa, but then it detonates when you carry it into a hot room, so you set it to 6000 kpa, because you're real God drat tired of exploding!

Please tell me that death is permanent and your save is wiped.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

BrianRx posted:

lol no, death is just a speed bump on the road to discovering why your fuel production area is instead a crater production area.

Edit: My favorite mystery explosion is when you start welding a bunch of structure frames in an enclosed area and then you suddenly have hole in your space suit, it's screaming at you about critical temperatures and pressure and oxygen, and after panicking with duct tape you realize you superheated the area you're in with the welder and the gas tank in the welder exploded!

Warrior Princess fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 21, 2021

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

BrianRx posted:

Nope, but you CAN gently caress poo poo up enough that your only recourse is to start a new game; hardest difficulty respawns you naked so if you've not set a spawn flag up inside or at least next to a crate of spare gear you can get stuck in a death-loop, especially on the harder planets. Mid difficultly at least spawns you in a lovely emergency suit that gives you enough time to run back inside.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?
I should add that nearly every planet has a specific difficulty to overcome, but with benefits for other things. Storms are a pro-con as well. They stop solar and damage them, but cause all wind to generate x10. (I hope you have thick cables and transformers)

Moon has no atmosphere, so your only gas sources are from your actions, and no wind power. However, there are no storms to damage exterior things like panels, and you can use vacuum radiation cooling to chill stuff down to near zero kelvin for for zero energy cost to you.

Mars is probably the "easiest" planet. No major obstacles to overcome, you have a CO2 atmosphere that gets comfortably warm at noon but dangerously cold at midnight. Solar is weaker, but you can benefit from wind power. The atmosphere also has trace O2 that you can siphon off of as well. It has dust storms.

Venus seems very hard and it is at the beginning, but after you overcome the initial extreme hurdle of creating a tiny safe room with a place to create spare waste cannisters, and then a way to recycle waste hot O2 back into cool breathable O2, Venus is surprisingly easy. It has no Oxite ice, so your next difficulty is fueling a furnace with the volatile ice and your currently precious O2 supply. Once you have steel and decent power, you can start electrolyzing water ice for O2, then work towards a greenhouse. It's that very first initial O2 / Waste O2 hurdle that makes Venus very hard. After that, it's a pretty easy planet. It also has storms. Venus lacks Oxite Ice.

Vulcan is much like Venus, only instead of rushing to get a way to deal with waste O2, you're rushing to combust O2 with the hydrogen atmosphere to create water. Vulcan gets so hot at midday that you can make steel in the furnace with atmospheric gas, but at night, it's cool enough that your suit still sips O2 for cooling. It also has the coolest skybox, as you're on a planet being ripped apart by tidal forces from the black hole you are in a decaying orbit around. Vulcan lacks water Ice.

Europa is a pure O2 atmosphere planet, your goal here is overcoming the extreme cold, which rapidly drains batteries. This is where my current playthrough is. The heat and CO2 is pretty easily overcome with the normal furnace usage. I like this planet and Mars for my relaxed playthroughs. Europa is similar to Mars, just without the warm daytime temperature swing.

I haven't played on Minmas but it appears to be the same as the moon but with nerfed solar and no apparent benefit.

Warrior Princess fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 21, 2021

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

So we're playing Zomboid multiplayer and heat issues are confusing us. Two of us get incredibly overheated when we stay in a house any amount of time even if we're naked. Some houses are particularly bad in different parts and we've looked for heaters, ovens, or central heat to turn off but can't find anything. Are we zombie sick? I've been staying well fed, resting, taking pain killers/anti anxiety/etc and I've still been getting panicky.

edit: I also could not get the dedicated server option to work, but I could host games from the menu fine. Even when I used the same config that worked in the menu through the dedicated bat file pointed to that config. I could see in the command line window that it was loading the right config and it reported everything connecting correctly without errors. No one else could see the server in the lists nor direct connect and when I tried to connect it says "Failed to establish p2p connection" which I find a bunch of people complaining about and no answers. I opened an excessive number of ports through my router and turned off Windows firewall completely (I don't run anti virus) and still no go. Any ideas?

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 22, 2021

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Have there been any major new systems or other features added to Stationeers after 2019 to make it worth revisiting? Last time I played, I had a pretty complete base, with a system that could automatically manage every gas in the game and all the prior steps that implies. I didn't see anything left to do at that point and have set it aside since.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

metasynthetic posted:

Have there been any major new systems or other features added to Stationeers after 2019 to make it worth revisiting? Last time I played, I had a pretty complete base, with a system that could automatically manage every gas in the game and all the prior steps that implies. I didn't see anything left to do at that point and have set it aside since.

Hmmm, not sure, I've only owned it for the last several months, so I don't know what was available when you were around. I know laptops and IC10 programming stuff and wireless power and fluids and stuff are all kind of new-ish?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

metasynthetic posted:

They added Venus which has a lot of unique challenges.

They added rocketry which supposedly gives a lot of endgame potential and use for the exotic alloys (but I've never gotten that far).

They added to the farming/food complexity and added refrigeration and spoilage.

I have a lot of conflicting thoughts on Stationeers. I do enjoy it, but it's constantly frustrating, but a big part of it's charm is that it aggressively does not respect your time and you have to put effort into every single cable.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

FuzzySlippers posted:

So we're playing Zomboid multiplayer and heat issues are confusing us. Two of us get incredibly overheated when we stay in a house any amount of time even if we're naked. Some houses are particularly bad in different parts and we've looked for heaters, ovens, or central heat to turn off but can't find anything. Are we zombie sick? I've been staying well fed, resting, taking pain killers/anti anxiety/etc and I've still been getting panicky.

edit: I also could not get the dedicated server option to work, but I could host games from the menu fine. Even when I used the same config that worked in the menu through the dedicated bat file pointed to that config. I could see in the command line window that it was loading the right config and it reported everything connecting correctly without errors. No one else could see the server in the lists nor direct connect and when I tried to connect it says "Failed to establish p2p connection" which I find a bunch of people complaining about and no answers. I opened an excessive number of ports through my router and turned off Windows firewall completely (I don't run anti virus) and still no go. Any ideas?

Regarding the heat issue, any mods? If not I'd report that because it sounds pretty wild. The multiplayer issues as you say seem to go back quite a ways unfortunately. My suggestion there would be to set up a dedicated server, as in an outside host and see if you still have connectivity issues. Build is pretty fresh, hopefully these issues get ironed out.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Getting panicked while also sweating is a good sign of having an infection, I’ve not seen my character get panicked if simply overheating, and I’ve gotten myself to heat stroke.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

esquilax posted:

I have a lot of conflicting thoughts on Stationeers. I do enjoy it, but it's constantly frustrating, but a big part of it's charm is that it aggressively does not respect your time and you have to put effort into every single cable.

I respect the concept of a game like this but I am way too old and not nearly smart enough to actually play it lmao

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I tried Stationeers and while it might make me a little bitty baby who can't analyze systems I dislike the UI enough that I think I'm going to return it. It seems like the SS13 of space survival builders, very deep and dynamic if you can stand to look at it for more than one hour.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 22, 2021

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If you can believe it that's the updated, easy-to-use UI! Yes it was worse. No this is not praise, it's still pretty bad.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
So anyone check out The Planet Crafter?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1830840/The_Planet_Crafter_Prologue/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0g4YVF6cq0

e: oh poo poo, I don't see any bears or deer, we sure this is an alien planet?

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 22, 2021

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

RandomBlue posted:

So anyone check out The Planet Crafter?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1830840/The_Planet_Crafter_Prologue/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0g4YVF6cq0

e: oh poo poo, I don't see any bears or deer, we sure this is an alien planet?

I watched a bit of Spanjs LP of it.

Seems ok, but still EA.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeXxYGyW3yFQKa4kSZSq8q89uPMmab-hQ

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

FuzzySlippers posted:

I've learned that in Zomboid, your character's anxiety is heavily influenced by his symptoms. Literally, your character will stress out if they think they're infected or getting sick, because those are both very bad things in an apocalypse. So if your character is hot or feverish, they're liable to get more stressed about it. Fever could indicate illness or infection.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

CuddleCryptid posted:

I tried Stationeers and while it might make me a little bitty baby who can't analyze systems I dislike the UI enough that I think I'm going to return it. It seems like the SS13 of space survival builders, very deep and dynamic if you can stand to look at it for more than one hour.

The devteam was, in fact, fully inspired by SS13 in the development of Stationeers, and the UI was designed by one of those Dungeon Crawling AI text creators with the writing prompt of "dick punch".

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Is there any other survival game that captures the cool wilderness vibes of Unreal World where you can traipse through the woods and build up a homestead and hunt? Without zombies in it preferably?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I was gonna say maybe vintage story but it kinda sorta has zombies (only at night though).