Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Sandwolf posted:

That’s how you’re sure I’m scum? That’s the basis for your strongest scum read?

I don't consider you and beet to be stronger than the other. I see how that's misleading from the presentation of my list, but truly it is just general affiliation.

Also a list is about feelings.

I'm not sure you're scum, and I apologize if my performative past posts may have made it seem like I'm 100% certain, but I'm not. I do feel there is a good chance that you are scum based on behavior or reads or stances from you that feel scummy.

Your original not even caring about if town loses from dunking the 3p stance, a stance toal shared, just seemed such a contrary stance to take. Also it seems in contrast to your true feelings here.

You say I'm determined to survive, I say you're determined to drive me out.

It strikes me as odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
That being said I will be using the role as intended from here on out, because I really should have read it closer before my extended bout of fabulism

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
yeah idk plug bee

beet feels different

if you hit scum we wont kill your leader.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
I was just scum in a game where town dunked town over and over on decent cases.

I just gotta go with my gut, and that points at the people eager to eliminate 3p as eager to win easy as scum.

Like, if Hal and IA are scum, they're already outed. We have tons of time to dunk them.

If there's another team that is scum they're gonna probably murder Hal and then we'll know for sure there's scum out there.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

##kill binus

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Wavering between Sandwolf and postmod

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Hal Insandenza posted:

Wavering between Sandwolf and postmod

If we are playing that game, I’ve not been reading sandwolf as scum, but post mod at least came out with their dbl vote thing from the get go and I think that was a townie way to play that.

End of day 1 was also pretty funny.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Oh I should have probably waited for flip. M.bad

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

hambeet posted:

Oh I should have probably waited for flip. M.bad

ecco did pm me earlier that they might not be around for a bit so it may take some time

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

:getin:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
As the end drew closer the cultists grew increasingly impatient with their scumbag members. "I know what it looks like," IA said, "I know we look like murderous scum, and we act like murderous scum, and we flail like murderous scum, and we even kill like murderous scum, but I swear we're not murderous scum!" It was a tough sell, and had IA been alone in defending himself he likely would have been fed to the crocodiles long ago. Thankfully he had Hal.
Hal knew that he had one real chance to get it right - there must still be some kind of evil element in the cult, a malevolent force whose presence was poisoning the minds of everyone here, turning them away from patience and understanding and towards violence and mistrust. If Hal could find and kill the real scum, then maybe his love might make it through in one piece.
He scanned the crowd; Toal, who was pushing so strongly to kill IA? "No, don't get distracted," Hal thought. Perhaps Moat, who mislead Toal into revealing merk's identity? "No, no, he was weirdly quiet as the incident with merk went down, but his confusion felt genuine."
Then he heard b-minus speak. "It's probably Somber," he said. Somber? The sobbing priest who collapsed into wails not four hours ago? Whose departure prompted this entire attack on IA? What planet has BM been living on?? Hal started to stare at BM, and while the tone of BM's voice revealed it was a genuine mistake, the more Hal looked the more he saw the little things. The twitch in his lips, the hunch in his shoulders, the way his eyes shifted through the crowd, hungrily, as if looking for someone to devour. Hal knew that look well - he saw it in the mirror this morning - but what reason did BM have to feel that way?
Finally as the crowd against IA grew almost unstoppable Hal knew he had to act. He sang a loud prayer, a song to Love's aspect Mercy:

"I bare homage to Thee,
Divine clemency, called Mercy,
I have entered Thine domain,
And I entreat Thee for strength.
May You grant me
To move with Grace, [literally 'divine oil that facilitates movement']
To live from your Bread alone,
my only succor be your Ale,
and Your Courage be my air.
Thou Glorious Love,
From whom all Life may Live,
May any Life I take from Thee
On this your holy day,
Be cast upon me sevenfold.
May my breast be wounded seven times seven,
By your wobbling chicks, [literally 'recently hatched pelicans who cannot stand steadily']
For each sin,
So may every drop of my blood,
Be a salute to Thee."

As Hal sang this familiar prayer he draw his dagger and ran towards b-minus. He lodged the dagger into BM's gut, twisted it, and raised it upwards until it got caught on BM's sternum. BM collapsed. Through a punctured lung he tried to speak, to say curses in the name of the Goddess Death, promises of cleansing fire over all the wicked non-believers in this temple, punishing all who would defile this sacred place with murder and mayhem, cremating everyone but himself. But without a working lung it was mostly petulant air.

:s: b-minus1, Ezra, Inquisitor (flame-aligned arsonist), was killed day 2. :s:

With BM's death the entire cult changed. It was like they all unclenched their fists and learned they has been squeezing so tightly that their nails bled their palms. Or like they had been in a mine shaft and the air had been getting thinner and thinner when suddenly they saw light and took a deep, cool breath of sea air.
Everyone felt comfortable enough to sit down and actually talk about what was happening calmly, with Love guiding them rather than fear. IA sat in the center of the crowd and answered every question patiently and honestly. He confessed to every lover, to every affair, to every night of illicit passion. (Hal, thinking he was unique, felt his heart break.) He admitted that his philandering was the genesis for this violence, but that he did not kill Brother Dragnis, and had no plan to kill merk except in self-defense. He started to cry, and begged the congregation for forgiveness. "I don't want to hurt people anymore."
Luckily for IA, it was still technically Noworoczna. The surviving parishioners each kissed a tear off IA's cheek and slowly led him to the chrism pool. Rather than sprinkle him with water they dunked his whole body. IA surfaced and felt reborn, and led the congregation into songs of praise and thanksgiving. One by one the rest of them were dunked into the pool, each feeling more pure and holy than they ever before had.
In time the cult would largely forget this Pelicana Drama, replaced instead by a joyous new Noworoczna tradition of public confession before full immersion in the baptismal font. IA promised never to marry again, knowing his temperament was unsuitable for the institution. Hal left the priesthood but remained an active member of the community (and one of IA's many recurring lovers). All the while the Cult of the Pelican continued to soar over Iskana, watching over the city, providing a place of healing and goodwill for all who entered it.

Amen, amen, amen.

GAME OVER

TOWN AND SCUM VICTORY

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Pelicana Drama

A Game for 15 players

setting: temple worshipping pelicans, which to this cult in Iskana are related to Love.

first death: someone poisoned the baptismal font -> a marriage has broken down and the jilted side wants revenge

competing scum teams, both groups are told they are death millers who can win with the town as long as the other scum team is dead, however the "jilted" alignment must also eliminate all vanillas
(might change to all power roles instead ala clarent)

2 Scumbag players (they win with all the town but have the scariest flavor)
--- 1 Jilted-cop (gets JILTED or NOT JILTED results; roleblocks JILTED results)
--- 1 Vigilante (can perform 3 kills, either at night or publicly during the day)

3 Jilted players
--- 1 Mason Recruiter
------ only works on vanillas, fails on town power roles.
------ this is the jilted partner, Claudia Fera. flavor: she explains her case and sympathetic vanillas join her
------ recruited players are told she's not ordinary town but definitely not scum
--- 1 Vigilante (can kill unlimited times at night but can do a daykill for no further nightkills)
--- 1 Doctor

1 SK
--- Arsonist, "tags" houses with fuel at night, can IGNITE them all at once (starts a conflagration minigame)
--- Bulletproof to both scum vigilantes at night
--- functionally a godfather, but can be "caught" by the weak tracker/watcher, who will receive "something smells funny" flavor in addition to the result)

9 Town
--- 1 Mirror (acquires one-shot powers from being targeted) (use water reflection symbolism, like a priest)
--- 1 Jailor (magically transports someone into a shell for the night, the target is not aware of this; flavor for PRs is clearly dreamlike and wrong)
--- 1 Naive cop
--- 1 Weak tracker/watcher (is told if their choice targets someone, or if someone targeted them, but not to where or by whom)
--- 1 Doublevoter (has an anonymous vote that can be placed once per day but not removed)
--- 4 Vanilla

=======

Players:

1) Idle Amalgam - Carmen Bracchia - Snake (scumbag-aligned investigator)
2) Hal Incandenza - Brother Apis - Corrupt Priest (scumbag-aligned killer)

3) merk - Claudia Fera - Cuckquean (justice-aligned mason recruiter)
4) Somberbrero - Sister Orepatra - Faithful Priestess (justice-aligned vigilante)
5) Pinterest Mom - Psamtik Philamater - Lady's Mage (justice-aligned doctor)

6) b-minus1 - Ezra - Inquisitor (flame-aligned arsonist)

7) Circlemastr - Acenith Nikotos - Chief Scribe (town-aligned mirror)
8) Ignatius M. Meen Shellception - Nakhe Weh - Wealthy Merchant (town-aligned jailor)
9) Moatillata - Takelot - Temple Guard (town-aligned cop)
10) hambeet - Yiskah - Pilgrim (town-aligned scout)
11) Illandir - Meritites of Narsus - Governess of Iskana (town-aligned doublevoter)

12) ObamaAkbar. - Beketaten - Penitent (town-aligned vanilla)
13) Toalpaz - Florens Olivian - Penitent (town-aligned vanilla)
14) Tobbs Gnawed - Teranto Forama - Penitent (town-aligned vanilla)
15) Sandwolf - Robert Herne - Penitent (town-aligned vanilla)

=======

Day 1:
Illandir votes Hal
Town executes OA

Night 1:
IA jiltvestigates Illandir (FAILS, Illandir is jailed)
Hal chills :cool:

merk recruits Toal (success!)
Somber kills b-minus (FAILS)
PMom protects merk

b-minus douses Pmom

Meen jails Illandir
Moat naivestigates Merk (NOT SCUM)
hambeet scouts Hal

Day 2:
Illandir votes Illandir (???)
Hal kills merk (rip)
Somber and PMom leave the game
Meen is replaced by Shell
Hal kills b-minus

GAME OVER

TOWN and SCUMBAG VICTORY

(ah well)

=======

Role PMs:

Idle Amalgam - Carmen Bracchia - Snake (scumbag-aligned investigator)
You're married, which comes with it certain commitments, like honesty, fidelity, and monogamy. Things that, to be honest, you never really believed. Or at least, at one point in time maybe you tried to believe, but it clearly never sunk in - even at your wedding you emotionally crossed your fingers behind your back. There's just so many people out there, so many different bodies and feelings, you could never chain yourself to one person forever.
You've had a handful of affairs since the commitment but your infidelity wasn't discovered until last month. Your wife walked in on you kissing your chambermeister - it was only a kiss! - and had a huge freakout. She threw objects at you, she destroyed your family's ancestral vase, and before she left she threatened to "give you what's coming for you. I'm gonna kill you. You're gonna die, and the last thing you'll see is me over your bloated corpse, you whore!".
Unfair disparagement of sex workers aside, you thought she was overreacting and eventually she'd come to her senses. Plus it was almost Noworoczna, and once you were rebaptized you'd be free of whatever sin you'd committed in the previous year - so she'd have to forgive you. You were scheduled to be the first in line at the chrism, like you are every year, but you overslept and arrived late. Brother Dragnis went first, and died a horrible, excruciating death. Yikes. Perhaps she really does want you dead after all...

You are a scumbag. You have broken the vow of fidelity to your spouse, repeatedly, and now she wants you dead. As such you have two goals this game: firstly, to survive to the end of the game; secondly, to have your spouse discovered and eliminated. This win condition is NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE to the general town win condition, and as such there is nothing that makes you, strictly speaking, scum. However! You are still a piece of poo poo, and everyone in this community will loathe to consider you an ally. Your flip will reflect that: cops will receive guilty results against you, you and your ally will flip "scumbag-aligned" on death, and any flavor surrounding you will really tear into you.
So that's going to be rough. But at least you have an ally: Hal Incandenza plays one of your lovers. The two of you are confirmed to share the same alignment and may communicate freely OOT.
Additionally, you know your spouse well, and you know she has connections in this temple who had to help her with her plot. During the night you may target a player in the game, investigating them to discover if they are part of your JILTED spouse's murder squad, or if they are NOT part of it. If they are, then you will also ROLEBLOCK them that night.
Good luck!

Hal Incandenza - Brother Apis - Corrupt Priest (scumbag-aligned killer)
Love does not restrict itself, Love does not deny itself, and Love can always bloom even in the darkest crags. Have you ever been into a cave, deep underground, in a place so cold and so dark that no life could possibly be there, only to find all manner of strange creatures, sticky molds, crawling bugs. Truly Love's power cannot be contained. So, from a certain point of view, to deny Love is a blasphemy - it should always be nurtured and grown wherever She is found.
You are a priest who has dedicated your life to serving Love. Unfortunately, you found Love in a very inconvenient place: one of your parishoners, a married woman named Carmen. Her hair and heart are both aflame with passion, and she has grown within you such a devotion to Love that you would do anything for her, her vow be damned. You've largely kept your relationship a secret to the rest of the congregation, though there are always rumors and whispers. But after the murder today - a murder that seemed to target Carmen herself - you realize that you might have to make the ultimate sacrifice in the name of Love...

You are a corrupt priest. You have fallen in love with a married woman, and that woman's spouse now wants revenge for her infidelity. As such you have two goals this game: firstly, that Carmen (as played by Idle Amalgam) survives to the end of the game; and secondly, that Carmen's spouse is discovered and eliminated. This win condition is NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE to the general town win condition, and as such there is nothing that makes you, strictly speaking, scum. However! You are still involved with a married woman, and that makes you, in the eyes of the rest of the town, a scumbag. Your flip will reflect that: cops will receive guilty results against you, you and your ally will flip "scumbag-aligned" on death, and any flavor surrounding you will really tear into you. This is the price of love.
You and Idle Amalgam are confirmed to share the same alignment and may freely communicate OOT. Additionally, you also have in your possession a ceremonial dagger, made from obsidian (or as the superstitious call it, "dragon glass"). Harvested from a sacred wasteland in Upper Charnaz, this dagger normally only cuts the necks of goats and crocodiles, but it could work on people in a pinch. With the dagger you may perform three kills: either anonymously during the night, OR publicly during the day with ##kill. You may perform as many kills during the night or day as you like (you are NOT restricted to just one per cycle), but you may only do so three times - after that the dagger breaks and you will be unable to perform any further kills.
Good luck!

merk - Claudia Fera - Cuckquean (justice-aligned mason recruiter)
You knew about your spouse's infidelity for a long time. Those long nights away with unnamed friends, returning home reeking of someone else's perfume, hickies on the neck. It bothered you of course, but you're a modern girl who knows how the world works. Your mother is one of the most powerful women in the Imperia, and you've spent plenty of time with her lovers growing up; you even liked one much more than your father. But your mother knew to keep it separate - from her household, from her work, from her obligations. She would never do something as shameful as having an affair with the help. But sure enough, one day you returned home from travel only to find your spouse in flagrante with her chambermeister in your own marital bed.
You are heir to the Fera family shipping consortium, Magistra Equitum to the Queen of Charnaz, First Woman of Iskana; and now you have been reduced to a common cuckquean. You have been disgraced by someone lower than you, a petty noble from a fallen family, someone you deigned to marry because you thought you loved her. There is only one way to regain your honor: through the blood of she who wronged you.
You plotted your revenge, knowing it would have to be before Noworoczna and your cheating snake of a spouse got rechristened and cleared of all sin. You couldn't hire an assassin on such short notice - they're always booked this of year - so you used your contacts in the cult to poison the aspergilum, knowing that your spouse would, by tradition, be the first to receive her baptism and thus the first (and only) one to die. Unfortunately your spouse arrived late (probably returning from a wild night with one of her tramps), and someone innocent died in her stead. Now you need to get your revenge, avoid suspicion for the murder of Brother Dragnis, and survive to be redeemed for the sins you will commit to get there.

You are a jilted spouse! Your partner has violated the oath of fidelity in a particularly disgraceful way, and now you want revenge. As such your main goals are to eliminate your spouse and to survive to the end of the game. You have a loyal team on your side: Sister Orepatra (Somberbrero) and your lady's mage Psamtik Philamater (Pinterest Mom). The three of you are confirmed to share the same alignment, and may communicate OOT freely.
Your plan revolved around receiving the baptism today which among the faithful of the cult would mean that even murder would be excused (since if in the eyes of the Goddesses you are sinless, how can the State disagree?). If the only person to die would be your philandering spouse then even non-believers may shrug and say "she probably had it coming." But an innocent man was murdered by your actions, and that's a much tougher sell. The cult's most faithful (i.e. POWER ROLES) will understand the meaning behind being baptised at the end of the game, but the fair-weather parishioners (i.e. VANILLAS TOWN) would still think you deserve to be punished. As such, in order to win the game, you must also eliminate all vanilla town players.
In addition to your allies, you also have a very valuable resource: a compelling story. Upon death your members will flip the positive-sounding "justice-aligned," cop investigations against your team will not produce scum results, and flavor surrounding you will paint you in a very positive light. But make no mistake, you are, functionally, a scumteam, and you should keep that in mind when playing the game.
Finally, you have your actual role ability. During the night you may target a player in the game and give them your edited testimony - that you have been wronged and that the scumbag is still out there and needs to be stopped. If your target is a POWER ROLE of any kind, they will ignore you, suspecting this is some kind of trick. If your target is a VANILLA TOWN, then they will be sympathetic to your story and decide to join you in your crusade (not knowing that you are a murderer). The vanilla town players will be told that you are not strictly-speaking "town," but also that you "clearly are not scum," with very positive flavor describing you.
If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Good luck!

(nb: if upon recruiting a vanilla player you want a fakeclaim of what a town mason recruiter role PM might look like, you are free to request one)

Somberbrero - Sister Orepatra - Faithful Priestess (justice-aligned vigilante)
One of the children of Love is the concept of Justice. Justice is what we call it when people get what's coming to them: when the good receive rewards and when the wicked are cast out. However, rarely do the Goddesses intervene and manifest Justice in this world by their hands. They largely leave us to our own devices. As such, justice can only exist for sure if we create it ourselves.
You are a priestess in the Pelicana Cult who has dedicated her life to Love. You specialize in hearing confessions among your parishioners, hearing their heartaches, their pains, their violence, their hate, and telling them what to do to clear their balance. Now most people don't get up to much wickedness in their day-to-day life; "pray for a bit and feel bad" is enough. Sometimes they are more sinned against than sinful, and you go out of your way to make sure the person who wronged them gets their comeuppance. But every now and then you hear a confession from someone who has caused so much hurt by their actions but they are, in their arrogance, totally oblivious. Last month you heard one such confession from a parishioner who openly and shamelessly violated her marital vow with dozens of partners, but whose problem was "I wish my spouse wasn't so mean to me."
You have allied yourself with the jilted in her quest for revenge. It has gone to a dark place - an innocent man was killed inadvertently by your conspiracy - but you're in too deep. You must bring justice to the wicked by any means necessary.

You are a faithful priestess. You are part of a conspiracy to kill a player in the game who was gravely unfaithful to her spouse, Claudia (as played by merk). As such you win the game if three conditions are met: first, that merk survives to the end of the game; second, that the unfaithful spouse is discovered and eliminated.
The third win condition requires explanation. Your cult believes that, at the new year's baptism, all sins from the previous year are forgiven, and to cultists that even includes crimes like murder (since if the Goddesses say you are innocent, who is the State to disagree?). And had the only person to die been the unfaithful spouse even non-believers would likely ignore it, thinking it's none of their business what cults do in the privacy of their own walls. But an innocent man was murdered by your actions, and that will require some, sanitation. The most faithful (i.e. POWER ROLES) will understand the cleansing nature of baptism, while the fair-weather flock (i.e. VANILLAS TOWN) will still think you deserve to be punished. As such, your third win condition is to eliminate all vanilla town players.
To assist you is your team of allies: Claudia Fera (merk) and Psamtik Philamater (Pinterest Mom). The three of you are confirmed to share the same alignment and may freely communicate OOT. You also have access to a vial of powerful poison. During the night you may target a player in the game and slip a few drops of poison into their sleeping mouths or down their exposed nostrils. Either way, it will kill them. You may also, during the day, toss your vial of poison onto a player, ##killing them instantly. However, doing so will exhaust your supply of poison, and prevent you from performing any future kills.
Good luck!

Pinterest Mom - Psamtik Philamater - Lady's Mage (justice-aligned doctor)
You are always faithful to your mistress Claudia Fera. You must be; your father owed the Fera family an unpayable debt, but the Feras agreed to clear the balance if you were indentured as a servant to their daughter for an indefinite time. That was ten years ago. Lady Fera is not a cruel mistress, at least not to you, but lately you've been compelled to take part in actions that unsettle you. She discovered her spouse has been cheating on her, so she started developing an elaborate murder plot as revenge. You tried to talk her out of it, but your mistress was set, and didn't appreciate the tone of your objection. Still, as the plan went forward and she saw you becoming increasingly uncomfortable, she granted you a great boon: if you help her kill "that snake" on the New Year, she promised to free you of your obligation to her, and give you a good letter of reference on top of it.
Unfortunately the plot failed, and someone else wound up dead as a result. Now you need to continue serving Lady Fera - you're in too deep to back out now - and maybe you'll get your freedom at the end of this.

You are a lady's mage, servant to a minor noblewoman who has gone on a murderous rampage. You will not be free until your mistress is satisfied, and as such you win when three conditions are met: (1) when your mistress, Claudia Fera (as played by merk), survives to the end of the game; (2) when Claudia's unfaithful spouse is discovered and eliminated.
The third requires explanation. Lady Fera's cult, worshipping pelicans of all things, believes that when its members are rechristened on Noworoczna, all their sins from the previous year are forgiven. The most radical in the cult, including your Lady and her spouse, believe that this redemption even applies for crimes like murder. And she has a point - it's well known that both the Governess and the Captain of the City Guard are also members to the cult, and they use their influence to keep the State to its tenets. However not everyone agrees with this obviously insane philosophy; as such, your Lady has concluded that, while the most faithful in the temple (i.e. POWER ROLES) will let you go away freely, the fairweather faithful (i.e. VANILLAS TOWN) must be eliminated as well. Therefore, your third win condition is to eliminate all the vanilla town players.
Your team consists of Claudia Fera (merk) and Sister Orepatra (Somberbrero). The three of you are confirmed to share the same alignment and may communicate freely OOT.
Additionally you are a trained white mage, specializing in protective magicks. During the night you may target a player in the game and cast a protective spell over them, preventing them from dying during the night.
Good luck!

b-minus1 - Ezra - Inquisitor (flame-aligned arsonist)
You have dedicated your life to worshipping the Goddesses, specifically Love. You're not a priest or anything, just a really active parishioner. It started when you were young and an apparition of the Goddess appeared on your windowsill. She told you that you were destined for great things, that Love will guide you and protect you, and that you should proclaim the saving power of Love to all people of all nations. Many are annoyed by how aggressively you proselytize, often shouting on streetcorners to make sure everyone can hear you, but zealousness in doing good is no vice.
This year you managed to scrimp and save enough to afford a baptism on Noworoczna at the Temple of the Cult of the Pelican, one of the most sacred places in the city. Unfortunately, you were right next to the man who was murdered. You watched as the life left his body, and you could feel a dark energy take hold of you. You recognized it instantly as the presence of the Goddess of Death. This was all part of Their plan, you realize; it is no coincidence that Love guided you to this spot, to this place, on this day. You can hear Death's whisper in the corner of your ear:
"To serve the Goddesses is to serve us all: Love, Wisdom, and Death."
"You have been faithful to Love, and She had rewarded you, by granting you unto Me."
"As you have brought Love, now you must bring Death to those who would defile Love's domain."
You realize your holy purpose and prepare for your crusade. It will be violent, and it will not be pretty, but you have to do it. The divines command it.

You are an arsonist. You were always a bit out of it, but after witnessing the murder today, you have gone full woo-woo. You believe that this entire temple has been defiled by the presence of murderers and it must be purged with flame. As such, you win when there are no other players in the game - all are guilty in the eyes of the Goddesses. During the night you may target a player in the game and ##DOUSE their resting area with ceremonial oil. The oil is colorless and mostly odorless, though certain roles may be able to smell something is off in their flavor (though not know what caused it or what it means). Once at least one player has been so DOUSED, you may, on any subsequent night, ##IGNITE the flame. This will instantly kill any living DOUSED player and begin a brief Conflagration Minigame that may kill even more. (Note that, for the minigame, the more you manage to ignite at once, the more effective the minigame will be at killing others.)
In addition you have certain protections available to you. At the outset, you cannot be killed at night - you are aware that, since Death Herself has given you Her boon, you can only be killed during the day, when Death is at Her weakest. You are also aware that any investigations against you will return a positive result: you are otherwise an honorable and upstanding member of the community, if a bit off-putting socially. Your Dousing action is visible to trackers or watchers (though they may not know what to make of it), however your Ignition action is "invisible."
Good luck!

Circlemastr - Acenith Nikotos - Chief Scribe (town-aligned mirror)
This is no good, no good at all. As the Chief Scribe of the Temple of the Cult of the Sacred Pelican, you are responsible for making sure that every event goes smoothly and everyone is accounted for. As a baseline, as the foundation, as a principle so basic that it goes unspoken, this means that everyone who enters your temple in the morning must be alive to leave the temple in the afternoon. This is a disaster. Someone was MURDERED during the most sacred and holy rite, and you don't even know who did it or why. All you know is the culprit must be in the temple. Now you must use every resource at your disposal to discover who did it, and stop them from doing it again. Maybe then you can salvage what little dignity in this ceremony remains.
You are a townie. You seek to stop all this murdering and mayhem in the temple, and as such win when all scum players are eliminated. You have the normal town powers of posting and voting in the thread freely.
In addition, you are the chief scribe, which means you have many lists of All Things. You know everyone in the temple, you know the temple's inventory, of each room and what's in it, how much gold you report to the tax collectors, how much gold there actually is, lists of everyone registered to the temple, everyone who ever visited the temple, everyone who was ever baptized in the temple, all the temple's suppliers and vendors, everyone to whom the temple supplies and vends, receipts for delivery, how many viable bags of wheat and rice are in storage, how many weevils have destroyed them, every wedding, birth, funeral, divorce, anathema. You even have rough transcripts of everyone's conversations during the day, which will be very useful if people wish to accurately recollect someone's "post" from a previous day. Indeed, it would be easier to list the things you don't know about the temple (which is, itself, a list in your possession). It is exhausting keeping track of these things during the day, so at night you rest by the chrism pool and pray silently to yourself before you fall asleep.
All this neuroticism has a purpose though. As you sleep, your dreams will reflect what happens to you as you slumber, and come morning you will be aware of what actions, if any, you received during the night. On a subsequent night you may then perform that action as a one-shot ability.
For instance, if you are targeted by a traditional DOCTOR role at night, come morning you will know you were targeted with a PROTECTION, and the following night may gather the supplies to perform a one-shot protection action on a player of your choosing.
You may perform only one action per night, though you may "sit" on an action as long as you like. If two or more actions target you at night, you get one-shot versions of all of them. The actions you perform might not be perfect mirrors of the action of the player who initially performed it - for example, if a protection has certain restrictions or enhancements, your protection might lack those modifications. Performing an action at night does not prevent you from receiving actions.
Got it??
You are a mirror and you are town-aligned.

Ignatius M. Meen Shellception - Nakhe Weh - Wealthy Merchant (town-aligned jailor)
In your business you understand the simple rule: Time is Money. Every moment you're not making lucre is time you could be spending making lucre. You're one of the wealthiest merchants in Iskana, and you didn't get there by waiting around - you were constantly hunting for new opportunities, for new means of providing goods and services from people who have too much to people who have too little. You call this the "Nakhe Grindset": every day you try to make one new sale and one new business connection, and you don't go to sleep until you've done so. You were busy networking at this year's Noworoczna celebration at the Temple of the Pelican (and were eager to get rechristened yourself) when suddenly someone is murdered and the temple is locked down. This is the ultimate grindtest: you need to use your connections and your sharp mind to discover the murderer, bring them to justice, and get out of here alive. Every day wasted is a day you could have been making money!
You are a townie. You seek to stop all this murdering and mayhem in the temple, and as such win when all scum players are eliminated. You have the normal town powers of posting and voting in the thread freely.
To assist you, you have access to a magickal snail shell. (In this universe magic is real and spelled magick.) You acquired this shell from one of your competitors many years ago; she gave it to you in exchange for information you had about certain ship schedules in and out of Porta Regina. Information can be very valuable, of course, but nothing is as valuable as tangible goods, especially powerful magickal artifacts, so you felt like you made out very well from the exchange. The symbol of the shell has become your company emblem, and shell iconography is stamped on every Nakhe crate shipped throughout the Imperia.
It's also a useful tool: it has a powerful prisoning enchantment. During the night you may target a player in the game (even yourself) and cast the shell's ability onto them. The player will be bathed in a pale blue light and magickally sucked into the shell; they will experience walking through an endless expanse of shallow water. During their time in the shell the player will be untargetable for actions - that is, all actions against them will automatically fail. They will also be unable to perform any actions themselves. Come morning the spell will automatically wear off and the trapped player will be returned to our universe none the worse for wear.
You are a jailor and you are town-aligned.

Moatillata - Takelot - Temple Guard (town-aligned cop)
You fear you might be in over your head here. Your official title is "temple guard," however for a ritzy place like this, you're really more of what might be called an "usher." You stand around and look menacing to prevent people from entering who shouldn't belong, and you motion for when the different rows of congregants should advance to the altar to partake in whatever ritual the church is conducting that day. You definitely have an air of authority about you, helped by your huge size and muscles. But you never actually get your hands dirty; the only time you can remember was three years ago when one of the parishioners had too much ceremonial beer and had to be escorted outside but very much didn't want to leave. You've certainly never had to deal with people murdering each other! But still, if there's anyone who has the patience and fortitude to help the congregation through this crisis, it's you. Time to step up and be a gosh darn hero.
Additionally, as the temple guard, you feel like it is your responsibility to manage the investigation into who killed Brother Dragnis and why. During the night you may target a player in the game and determine if they are a wicked, murderous SCUM, or if they are, for lack of a better phrase, NOT SCUM.
You are a cop and you are town-aligned.

hambeet - Yiskah - Pilgrim (town-aligned scout)
You are a traveler of the world; you've been all around the Morze and had all manner of adventures. You've thrown bones with snakes in a gambling den. You've sailed a ship through a hurricane. You negotiated peace between rival tribes in the Hillsbog and ate a fish in Ruzelia that boils in your belly. You have climbed mountains so high that they touch the clouds and journeyed into caves so deep that the darkness becomes solid. You have dined with duchesses and partied with purse-snatchers. There is still so much of the world to see, so much to experience, so much to learn.
On your most recent adventure you decided to trek into the deserts of Charnaz. You learned that there is a field of black glass and obsidian that stretches as far as the eye can see. Legend has it millennia ago three dragons had a fight to the death, and the so-called Jad'pu Wasteland is what remains of their battlefield. But nobody knows how large it truly is as nobody has ever crossed it - "it's impossible!" they say. Good. Impossible is your favorite kind of challenge.
Along the way you decided to spend time exploring Iskana, the Carmine City; you were especially interested in learning about its famed temple cults. Each cult chooses an animal and worships it as an avatar of their chosen deity; the Crocodile Cult worships Death, the Serene Cult of the Scarab worships Wisdom. Today you were attending a Noworoczna ceremony at the Pelican Cult which worships Love. Unfortunately, someone wound up murdered. Now you are in for yet another adventure as you uncover the mystery behind the cult, and what could compel someone to do something so wicked in a place so beautiful.

To assist you, you are a skilled adventuress, which means you are very sneaky and perceptive. During the night you may target a player in the game; you will be told both if they performed an action that night AND if they received an action that night. However, you will NOT be told on whom they performed their action (if anyone), nor will you be told who targeted them that night (if anyone). Your results will be two binary answers: DID / DID NOT PERFORM AN ACTION, and WAS / WAS NOT TARGETED. This makes you a "weak watcher" and "weak tracker" hybrid that I am calling a "scout."
You also endowed with what we in the business call "plot armor." Your character, Yiskah, is a recurring one in my games, and this game takes place earlier than one of Yiskah's later adventures. That means that, if you die in this game, there'll be a temporal paradox! And that can't happen. To encourage your survival, you have two "Get Out Of Death" free cards; if you would otherwise die (either by a kill or by an execution), a card will be expended, and you will instead survive the encounter.
You are a scout and you are town-aligned.

Illandir - Meritites of Narsus - Governess of Iskana (town-aligned doublevoter)
The politics of Iskana are not complicated. The Imperia is ruled by the Empress, of course; Queen Circe, may her light shine for ages to come. The desert lands of Charnaz have their own queen subordinate to the Empress who wears the Carnelian Crown: Queen Philamena the Pious. Underneath her is the Imperia's civil society: the bureaucrats, regulators, tax collectors, and law enforcers that make sure day-to-day life runs smoothly. As the capitol and largest city in Charnaz, Iskana is where this apparatus is centered. And you, the appointed Governess, make sure it all runs smoothly and efficiently.
You're very good at what you do; whenever you enter a room all eyes fall on you, whether because of the power of your perfume or the clicking of your heels. With a glance you can easily intimidate even the toughest brutes into doing what you want. Your sharp mind and sharper tongue cuts through red tape, and even something as simple as adjusting your jewelry can change the direction of entire industries.
You are also a member of the Pelican Cult, which further enhances your influence over the life of the city. Every week you hob-knob with the city's elites and use them as grease to keep the gears of progress humming. But today is different; today was Noworoczna, normally a joyous celebration of the new year, but it was marred by murder. Could you have been the intended target? Only time will tell, but you're now ready to put your skills to the test: discover the murderer, bring them to justice, and get out of here alive.

You are also the appointed Governess of the city; this gives you a great deal of influence over how this conflict will develop. Anytime during the day you may message me with ##secret vote onto a living player of your choice. That player for the rest of the game day will have an Anonymous vote on them. It will automatically be cleared at the end of the day. You may only have one Anonymous vote at a time, and once placed it cannot be moved or removed.
You are a doublevoter and you are town-aligned.

ObamaAkbar. - Beketaten - Penitent (town-aligned vanilla)
Toalpaz - Florens Olivian - Penitent (town-aligned vanilla)
Tobbs Gnawed - Teranto Forama - Penitent (town-aligned vanilla)
Sandwolf - Robert Herne - Penitent (town-aligned vanilla)
Noworoczna is the celebration of the new year; on the longest night of the year, when things can never be darker, there is a joyous festival across the Imperia. Families and friends gather from all around, toasting that they've once again made it halfway out of the dark. People reflect on the previous year, what went right, what went wrong, and are encouraged to enter the new year with renewed spirit. At the Temple of the Cult of the Pelican of Iskana, the parishioners celebrate by renewing their baptismal vows, rededicating their lives to serving the Goddess Love, promising to carry Love's grace with them always. To be more patient, more kind, more understanding. To heal the broken, to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked. Unfortunately, this year the event was marred with tragedy. There was a violent murder, and the killer is among the congregation. Pray that you discover the source of this wickedness and stop it, before it poisons not just the new year, but perhaps your very life itself...
You have no other extraordinary powers or abilities at this time.
You are vanilla and you are town-aligned.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
NOTES:

- This game was inspired by my first trip to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC. I saw the frieze of Thoth baptizing someone (as seen in the OP), and then saw an idol of a pelican, and it all came together.
- The game had an obvious gimmick that 100% didn't work out like I wanted. Ah well mice and men.
- Thanks Shell for picking up on my Carmen reference. You remain my favorite player of 2021.
- Thanks merk for your understanding.
- Thanks everyone for the gripping read. I hope everyone had fun for the short time the game lasted.

Happy holidays and take care.

zincaito
Nov 18, 2003

i love adventures
Holy poo poo Hal!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Sorry if I ruined your game Ecco

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hal Insandenza posted:

You won!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Hal Insandenza posted:

I Forgive You, next time be worse at this game!!!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Podima posted:

You won!

Oh I won the hell out of that game but I’m sure Ecco didn’t want it to end on D2 and sort of not get the arsonist going at all

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics

zincaito posted:

Holy poo poo Hal!

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics

Hal Insandenza posted:

Oh I won the hell out of that game but I’m sure Ecco didn’t want it to end on D2 and sort of not get the arsonist going at all

That's the skill of 500 games for you. You actually do have true sight lol. Thanks for doing all the leg work while I was my typical crazy unreliable self.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
I guess that's what happens when you play a thousand Mafia games.

Thanks for hammering in that I am, always have been, and always will be bad at Mafia Hal.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.
mvp of 2021, hal last-name-wrongly-spelled

I'm really sorry to everyone for misreading my role pm and running that poo poo into the ground, much obliged to ecco for giving me a one-time get out of hoisted-by-my-own petard-free card

hope everyone has a very nice holiday weekend, I think with my current work schedule I may have to disappear again for another decade, but was fun to come back for a hot second

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Holy poo poo lmfao what just happened. good game hal

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.
oh, that reminds me, I really want to hear the story of why sandwolf is responsible for that name change

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

postmodifier posted:

oh, that reminds me, I really want to hear the story of why sandwolf is responsible for that name change

being scumbuds with him, this is also the story for why Grandicap is Sandicap

also lmao at the way this ended

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Lol

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

GG????? I guess?

So jilteds were true scums and we got incredibly lucky huh. Wow.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

being scumbuds with him, this is also the story for why Grandicap is Sandicap

also lmao at the way this ended

I also gotta know, what was the impetus behind jailing me, suspicion or benevolence?

I was really hoping I read that right

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

postmodifier posted:

I also gotta know, what was the impetus behind jailing me, suspicion or benevolence?

I was really hoping I read that right

totally had a town read on you, you read that completely right

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

It's funny to me that killing the survivor has been the optimal love in the past 7 ish games, when survivors used to win with town all the time.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Thanks to team jilted for letting the observers lurk your masonry.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Sub Rosa posted:

Thanks to team jilted for letting the observers lurk your masonry.

Let us in

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Gg Hal

Fuckin knew I was a lovely cop

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Toalpaz posted:

It's funny to me that killing the survivor has been the optimal love in the past 7 ish games, when survivors used to win with town all the time.

hey now, Hal was a surv too and shot the SK

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

postmodifier posted:

sand clan baby

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I still don't understand what happened.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Wow I must say that felt like a full game even though we still hadn’t completed day 2.

Thanks Ecco!

Yiskah lives to fight another day.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

CirclMastr posted:

I still don't understand what happened.

It's pretty simple imo, there were two dueling lover mason groups who were third party, and one sk

Everyone else was town

Hal shot once and took out the entire other mason lover group, then shot again and took out the sk

No more threats, we all won together

Honestly it was incredibly impressive play and it ended up being the cleanest Ecco game I've ever seen

But I am curious as to what the conflagration minigame would have looked like

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

postmodifier posted:

But I am curious as to what the conflagration minigame would have looked like

If you have archives, it would have looked something like this

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=418541548

or this

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=450673959

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.
that's....

that's a thing, and I love it

additionally this quote hit me real hard:

"Lastly, the village realized that someone else was missing as well: CCKeane."