Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
hn thread: a women's sexual value is at a peak very early (let's say 18)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

hn thread: a women's sexual value is at a peak very early (let's say 18)

he was just self aware enough to delete the lower number and replace it with 18 before he hit post

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Ask HN: Are most of us developers lying about how much work we do?

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=29581125

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

tracecomplete posted:

Yes. Also about our value to society.

Question answered.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

tracecomplete posted:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=29581125

in that thread: a lot of people lying to themselves about how much work they do.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Qwertycoatl posted:

he was just self aware enough to delete the lower number and replace it with 18 before he hit post

somehow i'm betting that this guy is also very enthusiastic about cryptocurrencies

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

quote:

There is an annoying trend among people that expect everything to be perfectly safe. It seems to be a symptom of an overly sheltered existence.

In reply to a thread named: My Bose QC-35 II headphones suddenly burst into flames and left me with chemical burns

matti
Mar 31, 2019

HN represents a wellspring of deeper reading than is generally afforded by the current entertainment cruft portals of the web - reddit, FB, insta, USA today, financial times, etc etc down to the SEO hellholes of recipe sites, youtube product placement; you get the idea. Let's appreciate HN for the quality of reading material and its curb on our drift to the rest of the 'popular' web. And I don't think I'm alone in always keeping an eye out for the next serious hub of real reading material!

llol

matti fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 18, 2021

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i want to bully that person irl

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
wow lol

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
we need to invent a way to give people swirlies over tcp/ip

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

kitten emergency posted:

we need to invent a way to give people swirlies over tcp/ip

iptables flush

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

mojomark 58 minutes ago | undown | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Fully concur. I recieved stock appreciation rights (SARs) as a bonus at one company for a few years. CEO drove company into the ground that effectively wiped out all of these SARs. I was bitter at the CEO for making stupid decisions, but not at the fact that my bonus was in the form of SARs. If I'd have stuck to my guns more, the company would have probably succeeded and the SARs could have had significant value.

Bottom line, with stock payment, you have a say in their ultimate value. Do good work, company value invreases, you enrich yourself.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
wow, that’s some impressive bootlicking…

“the company didn’t fail, I just didn’t manage up hard enough”

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
lol, bonus entirely in SARs. the most risk-free bonus possible from the company’s perspective

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
im dyin

quote:

bserge 1 hour ago | prev [–]

Speaking of food, dried corn snacks are practically non existent even though they're great with beer (also dried bread snacks).

Not dried unprocessed corn, I'm talking corn flour baked/fried into a chips-like snack, like we do potatoes. Bet you never heard of it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

no that has to be a troll

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
lol wtf

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
that can't be real

mystes
May 31, 2006

You're all too easily trolled

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Okay I wasn't sure but now we have to burn it down

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

zo1 1 minute ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Am I the only one that sees the beauty and simplicity of a world that allows drug research companies to pay giant piles of money to people for them to agree to be test subjects for new treatments? The equalizing effect this could potentially have over wealth inequality across generations is arguably staggering. Some days it feels like our nobility and pride and respect for life are just ideals we claim on paper but end up just being huge shackles that keep us from preventing suffering in the now. We allow huge amounts of actual suffering and denigration of life to happen right under our noses.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Hahahah justin beiber freaking sucks!! quote this if you grew up listening to real rock like led zepplin and the beatles.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

MononcQc posted:

zo1 1 minute ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Am I the only one that sees the beauty and simplicity of a world that allows drug research companies to pay giant piles of money to people for them to agree to be test subjects for new treatments? The equalizing effect this could potentially have over wealth inequality across generations is arguably staggering. Some days it feels like our nobility and pride and respect for life are just ideals we claim on paper but end up just being huge shackles that keep us from preventing suffering in the now. We allow huge amounts of actual suffering and denigration of life to happen right under our noses.

:stonk:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

but... you can already do that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

alexandriao posted:

but... you can already do that.
Yeah but you have to do all this annoying stuff like animal testing and registering your trials on clinicaltrials.gov first. What if you could just hand people some money and inject them with toxins from cane toads and then when they die just shrug and be like "oh yeah but we paid them"

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
look, if there is but a 1% chance that performing fringe experiments upon the poor can extend a billionaires life by a week, then well...

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

mystes posted:

Yeah but you have to do all this annoying stuff like animal testing and registering your trials on clinicaltrials.gov first. What if you could just hand people some money and inject them with toxins from cane toads and then when they die just shrug and be like "oh yeah but we paid them"

wait do you not want to be paid large sums of cash for the slim but tangible possibility to become comicbook superhero frog man?????

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

The radically transformative economic empowerment that comes with selling your flesh to Peter Thiel.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
just wait until we have full tissue regeneration

people will be selling their meat for cash to billionaires and other lizard people

but only when the price of regeneration treatments dips low enough, kind of like with the McRib

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
what do you think the McRib is made of

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Neon Noodle posted:

what do you think the McRib is made of

freedom. shut the gently caress up, it’s made of freedom

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

vikingerik 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]

If you reward something, you get more of it. This creates a black market of arranging kidnappings for the tax break.
The original topic about stolen property is the patch for the same kind of loophole. Without this rule, you could arrange to have something of value stolen in order to avoid a taxable transaction. Imagine your employer giving a bonus by leaving an envelope of cash conspicuously unguarded.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

fritz posted:

vikingerik 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]

If you reward something, you get more of it. This creates a black market of arranging kidnappings for the tax break.
The original topic about stolen property is the patch for the same kind of loophole. Without this rule, you could arrange to have something of value stolen in order to avoid a taxable transaction. Imagine your employer giving a bonus by leaving an envelope of cash conspicuously unguarded.

this is batshit in the context of the hn thread but not far from how the super rich do tax evasion - all the billionaires are poor af on paper but a conspiciourly friendly trust man from the cayman islands provides everything they need

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
i just want to post this peak-hn saga

iPhone camera app replaces person’s head with a leaf in photo (twitter.com/mitchcohen)
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=29739235

hundreds of comments arguing/incorrecting each other about the details of camera phone image sensors and AI or whatever

and then:

Update: iPhone Camera app did not replace man's head with a leaf (twitter.com/mitchcohen)
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=29750660

there was just a leaf in the foreground that the photographer didn't notice

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Hunter2 Thompson posted:

iPhone camera app replaces person’s head with a leaf in photo (twitter.com/mitchcohen)

hundreds of comments arguing/incorrecting each other about the details of camera phone image sensors and AI or whatever

and then:

Update: iPhone Camera app did not replace man's head with a leaf (twitter.com/mitchcohen)

like… even from the detail in that first photo it’s obviously a leaf on a branch, are people just blind or something

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
they thought that a leaf was moved in from elsewhere in the image (or from a different image) by an ai that somehow thought it was a better picture of her face. the blur around the leaf (actually because the background/face is out of focus) kindof suggests that. except that’s implausible even by the lax standards of ai, because there’s almost no test data that an algorithm like that wouldn’t do something embarrassing to. even the most optimistic researcher would be like, yeah, this is garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hunter2 Thompson posted:

and then:

Amazing, lmao