Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I also need to get braver and use more specials, I need to break that hold on myself and just go for it. How'd do you all manage to stop worrying and learn to love the Special?

Better combo potential and it feels better to lose a bit of health intentionally kicking rear end then letting yourself get overwhelmed and losing health unintentionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Lobok posted:

Better combo potential and it feels better to lose a bit of health intentionally kicking rear end then letting yourself get overwhelmed and losing health unintentionally.

Especially post level 33 where a jab will drain a quarter of your health bar.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm up to Adam on my quest to get everyone's alts. Floyd's alt Blitz and judicial upgrades carried me to lvl 33 garnering his full suite of moves. I'm still not crazy about Floyd, but his alts are fun.

Cherry was a bit tough since she's so particularly in how she plays but I really do love playing her. I'm not good at it, but she's so different from everyone else.

I'm seeing just how useful Vampiric punches are. Combining it with Glass Cannon is very fun even if it's not the best idea strictly speaking. It works better with Full Health bonus damage or inversely the -50% +damage.

I can't believe how they breathed so much vitality into this game with just one DLC and with one that's procedurally generated. That's usually a horrible plan but it's perfect here.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Watching a Big Ben start a boxing ring stage by a suicide bellyflop into the hole in the centre never gets old.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Weavered posted:

Watching a Big Ben start a boxing ring stage by a suicide bellyflop into the hole in the centre never gets old.

Personally I like the watching the Victoria's dodge backwards off a stage. There's something so dopey about it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Personally I like the watching the Victoria's dodge backwards off a stage. There's something so dopey about it.

iirc one of the Y twins can do it too (in miniboss form). Also it's really easy to bait those yellow dickheads with their hands in their pockets to do the horizontally-moving multiple jump kick. :allears:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
First couch co-op out of lockdown, my mate and I hit a double perfect SkyTrain on arcade hardest. This is a big score.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

JBP posted:

First couch co-op out of lockdown, my mate and I hit a double perfect SkyTrain on arcade hardest. This is a big score.

Nice.

I'm looking forward to video call later so I can break this out and hopefully unlock Max's alt moves. I've just him and Shiva next. Then I got to pick my favorites and see what I can do with them in story mode!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/Dotemu/status/1454106455917871108?t=i3a7lMBgRdWkHbmH-OUerg&s=19

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
If there's a pairing more effective than Shiva with Blood Thirst/combo damage and SOR 3 Skate with electric rolling blitz I've yet to see it. My girlfriend gets the combo meter up and I run around touch-of-death-ing everyone. Once the meter is up around 300 hits enemies start dying to individual jabs.

It's also a good pairing just in terms of who gets elements for their blitz and who gets it for their heavy attack. And considering Shiva can easily get at least 2 heavy attacks per simple combo (more if you gently caress with wall bounces) he's super effective.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Does anyone know specifically what Max's iron will star power actually does? From what I can see it gives you armour and makes all damage green damage for its duration, but are there any other effects?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Breetai posted:

Does anyone know specifically what Max's iron will star power actually does? From what I can see it gives you armour and makes all damage green damage for its duration, but are there any other effects?

That's pretty much it as far as I've been able to tell. It's pretty nifty for certain single player sections since you can just jump into the middle of a crowd and go ham with his extremely damaging combos without the risk of being jabbed out of it or being knocked down by those pesky slides, uppercuts or jump kicks. It's not particularly good for higher levels of survival mode since enemies simply do too much damage to facetank with Iron Will.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
So is SOR 4 getting anymore updates? Or is this it? I feel like this is a really good game where a few more DLC (retro levels, more characters, more stages, etc) would sell really well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Anything could happen but Dotemu have said they’re done with SOR4, smile because it happened, etc.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
On the plus side they're making that new ninja turtles game that looks sweet as gently caress.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Breetai posted:

On the plus side they're making that new ninja turtles game that looks sweet as gently caress.

Yeah, but that's a different development team.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
As starved as this genre is for big releases I'll always treasure SoR4 being, if not actually a AAA title, then matching the production value of the marquee beat em ups of yester-year.

At this point I'd want maybe a fantasy game next? After turtles of course.

protomexican
May 1, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

As starved as this genre is for big releases I'll always treasure SoR4 being, if not actually a AAA title, then matching the production value of the marquee beat em ups of yester-year.

At this point I'd want maybe a fantasy game next? After turtles of course.

I'd pay :10bux: for a less quarter-munchy d&d beat em up

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This is what a few of the devs said back in '20

quote:

MP1st: Are you planning on doing more sequels/remakes? Golden Axe is a franchise that some have thrown around when it comes to reviving beat-‘-em-ups. Has the studio thought of that or any existing IP?!!

Ben: Sequels and/or remake are actually great to work with. You can learn so much just by trying to replicate and enhance an older game. Of course, we always think of cool IPs to go on, but they have to matter to us personally before we really consider it.

Golden Axe is an amazing license. So are Landstalker and Shining Force, which I’d love to tackle. But at some point, maybe an original IP would be great too.

Jordi: Though I would love to work on any old school franchise, we have nothing planned at the moment. If we can, we hope to find more ways to support Streets of Rage 4.

Cyrille Imbert: Yes, we are currently working on Windjammers 2 and three unannounced projects similar to SoR4 and WJ2 (with different teams). So stay tuned!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Do literally anything but use the same artists as SoR4.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Golden Axe from this team sounds amazing. I'm down for it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

Do literally anything but use the same artists as SoR4.

This is a take you don’t see very much

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The SOR4 art rules.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Choosing to assume that meant idc what they do as long as they reuse the SoR4 artists, which I'd agree with. Also that french dude who made most of the soundtrack, get him back

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I've a feeling he meant this:

Jack Trades posted:

Do literally anything, but use the same artists as SoR4.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

acksplode posted:

Choosing to assume that meant idc what they do as long as they reuse the SoR4 artists, which I'd agree with. Also that french dude who made most of the soundtrack, get him back

This. Olivier Deriviere went into this project with an impossible fuckin' task---matching the insane precedent that Yuzo Koshiro had set---and he rose to the occasion beautifully. Funky HQ, On Fire, and Rising Up are certified classics in this game.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Given how fantastic the art and animation is I'm surprised you're giving that post the attention of responding to it.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

This. Olivier Deriviere went into this project with an impossible fuckin' task---matching the insane precedent that Yuzo Koshiro had set---and he rose to the occasion beautifully. Funky HQ, On Fire, and Rising Up are certified classics in this game.

An Expedition is great. I also slept on Chow Time for too long. The last beat drop is great because you can hear the rear end in a top hat Goros at that exact moment.

Let’s be honest though, what can ever match Crazy Train? :cool:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

What’s crazy to me is that Deriviere scored A Plague Tale: Innocence the previous year, a completely different and also amazing OST.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There's a new Streets of Rage 4 patch that's in beta right now. Infuriatingly there seems to be no place to find all the changes in one place, but it's mostly focused on Survival Mode and the new characters added in Mr X Nightmare. Basically a lot of Survival Mode boons got tweaked/reworked to be more useful. Glass Cannon is down to 60% more damage taken so it's no longer an autolose button (still probably pretty bad though), more food added to later stages so that Bloodthirst isn't 100% necessary, and buffs to some of the weaker effects like Ally and Full of Yourself. Big nerfs to Shiva's Flying Kick and Max's vortex abuse, nerfs to multi-hit blitz attacks across the board, mega-buffs for my queen Estel. Excited for when it finally goes live!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I'd settle for something that stops Survival Mode Cherry from dropping costless star and special moves once every 2 seconds.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Breetai posted:

I'd settle for something that stops Survival Mode Cherry from dropping costless star and special moves once every 2 seconds.

As long as she isn’t replaced with constant knee slide cherry

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Weavered posted:

As long as she isn’t replaced with constant knee slide cherry

Replace all enemies with Mania+ a.i. halberd-wielding red Galsiaaaaaaas.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You might be excited to know there is the Impossible Mod that replaces all normal enemies with their red type variants. Galsias all get golden daggers.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

exquisite tea posted:

You might be excited to know there is the Impossible Mod that replaces all normal enemies with their red type variants. Galsias all get golden daggers.

Please point me towards this travesty that I may know pain

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I looked it up just now and it's surprisingly hard to find for download. There are plenty of runs on youtube, however!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtfo39QQ6RE

E: Oh here's the link in the description: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ygW0XcxSidI7bhbETTUEyVJO0wYIvhBA/view
Info Post: https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetsofRage/comments/p3tnag/sor4_retro_replacer_mod_updated_swapper_app_and/

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 6, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kind of hoping that the balance patch will nerf Estel's flying kick thing. It was just too good and playing her just devolves into spamming it over and over.
They were good at removing that kind of stuff in previous patches.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Flying Scythe is good but it's not even close to the most broken blitz attack out there, it's high recovery on landing and you''ll get uppercut out of the sky or fall right into a pit for just spamming it. SOR3 Skate is totally busted and he's been in the game since Day 1.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Not sure if this is the correct thread but is Sifu worth picking up? I watched a video and it seems tight although half the time whenever chinese characters appear I cringe because they are like, just that close to being correct lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Double the damage if grand upper imo