Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

FWIW they've got a solid backlog of original videos/documentaries too and are adding something new pretty much every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Dunno if anyone watches the cyclocross but the finish of the women's in Val De Sole was pretty tight and very interesting. I was a little disappointed in the course though. For travelling all the way to Italy I thought maybe the course would be a little more like the mountain biking they do in Val De Sole, but it was just a roped ff course covered in snow. Guess it didn't matter though as it was still good racing.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I had stopped watching because I thought van empel had it in the bag, oops

https://twitter.com/cxhelen/status/1470336954281697280?s=21

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/EFprocycling/status/1471134781584949254?t=Y2zBNYxWjS9KBSPfB719Og&s=19

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What races will he wind up missing for ~reasons~ now?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
noted clean cycling advocate vaughters must have seen his data and found out that all those climbs were real

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzzAuYgNjVc

:yum:

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Pidcock unable to open his bubbly bottle at the end, sad.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
some personal news
https://www.velonews.com/news/road/police-charge-man-with-break-in-of-home-of-mark-cavendish/

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
Does anyone have a good rec or two for history books or memoirs that deal with pro cycling? I got into following this sport during the pandemic and would like to get some better context for why things are done the way they are

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

the monuments by peter cossins is good. tells the history of the five biggest one day races on the calendar.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/it-takes-one-to-know-one-vaughters-sees-no-red-flags-in-mark-padun/

Guys it’s fine his Dauphine performance was just because he started eating carbs again.

I also liked this

quote:

CN: So two of three things you did to try to ensure that any question marks could be wiped out were a) a spot check test b) delving into his bio passport as far as you can. How far back does that passport go?

JV: Since he started in the WorldTour [2018-Ed.] At U23 level it doesn’t exist.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

bradburypancakes posted:

Does anyone have a good rec or two for history books or memoirs that deal with pro cycling? I got into following this sport during the pandemic and would like to get some better context for why things are done the way they are

Depends how far back you want to go but for me, my favourites are:

We were young and carefree by Laurent Fignon, a french pro who won the tour twice but was more famous for losing by 8 seconds to Greg Lemond.

Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage, a young Irish pro dealing with reaching a level where doping becomes the norm and having to choose.

In search of Robert Millar by Richar Moore, about a Scottish pro.

Slaying the Badger by Richard Moore about Bernard Hinault and Greg Lemond and their battles and alliances

They aren't so much about the history of cycling but give you good idea of cycling at the time. If you want older ones I can't remember the names but there is a good one about Fausto Coppi, and I remember another good one about Jacques Anquetil. Eddy Merckx has had some good books written about him also.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

bradburypancakes posted:

Two essentials: “A dog in a hat” by Joe Parkin. Memoirs of an American pro who moved to Belgium in the mid80s and went full native, never had much success, but really cool stories.

“The Rider” by Tim Krabbe. A fictional account of a single road race by a high-level amateur/semi-pro in the Netherlands. Written from the point of view of the racer as he progresses through the single race, what he’s feeling, the random thoughts going through his head, the tactics, musings on cycling history, etc. A wonderful book.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

tylertfb posted:

Two essentials: “A dog in a hat” by Joe Parkin. Memoirs of an American pro who moved to Belgium in the mid80s and went full native, never had much success, but really cool stories.

“The Rider” by Tim Krabbe. A fictional account of a single road race by a high-level amateur/semi-pro in the Netherlands. Written from the point of view of the racer as he progresses through the single race, what he’s feeling, the random thoughts going through his head, the tactics, musings on cycling history, etc. A wonderful book.

Oh yeah forgot about The Rider, probably because I only have it on Kindle. There was a little doco last year about it where two pros went and rode the route of the race in The Rider, and talked about it with the writer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiaitFPHtqw

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
All sound very cool, thanks!

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
two late entries:

Bob Roll’s 2 “Bobke”books are fun as hell

I enjoyed Tyler Hamilton’s The Secret Race more than all those Lance books put together.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Pedalare, Pedalare! A History of Italian Cycling is really recommendable too.

Inrng recommended The War On Wheels as an excellent book lately, but it's about keirin, not road cycling.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 22, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

Oh yeah forgot about The Rider, probably because I only have it on Kindle. There was a little doco last year about it where two pros went and rode the route of the race in The Rider, and talked about it with the writer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiaitFPHtqw

That climb in the thumbnail looks like where he is debating whether to drop down a gear to keep up with his breakaway partner, agonizes over the obvious signal of his weakness, and finally decides to change gear, only to find he was already in the lower gear. The halcyon days of 6 speed drivetrains.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
hey 42/21 worked as a bailout gear for years, why change it

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

paddyboat posted:

two late entries:

Bob Roll’s 2 “Bobke”books are fun as hell

I enjoyed Tyler Hamilton’s The Secret Race more than all those Lance books put together.

I think Hamilton's book is probably the best one about the Lance era, but you can sense the bias it has in his favor. Hamilton is super open about the details of his own doping along with everyone else's, but it has a tone of "sure I was doping, but Lance was evil!" Which, maybe he was, but it all makes Tyler sound more sympathetic than perhaps he deserves. It is a good read though.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

kimbo305 posted:

That climb in the thumbnail looks like where he is debating whether to drop down a gear to keep up with his breakaway partner, agonizes over the obvious signal of his weakness, and finally decides to change gear, only to find he was already in the lower gear. The halcyon days of 6 speed drivetrains.
That book is so good, gonna find my kindle when I go home tomorrow and read it again.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Rainbow Sherbet is in.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

tylertfb posted:

I just finished this book and loved it, it's a very engaging page-turner and quite unique.

For rider autobiographies, I quite enjoyed Phil Gaimon's books and Jens Voigt's "Shut Up, Legs!"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Angryhead posted:

I just finished this book and loved it, it's a very engaging page-turner and quite unique.

I think it's special because it has a literary style that no one else who knows cycling can match, and yet the routines and emotions of riding are still immediately relatable. I honestly have no idea how the tone is in Dutch, but it works in English translation.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Krabbe also wrote the novel (the golden egg) that the _terrifying_ Dutch movie "The Vanishing" is based on. There is also an american remake of the movie but it sucks.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

tylertfb posted:

Krabbe also wrote the novel (the golden egg) that the _terrifying_ Dutch movie "The Vanishing" is based on. There is also an american remake of the movie but it sucks.

Can confirm that the Dutch version is fuckin terrifying. I never want to rewatch it ever.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This is such terribly produced content. This is like the NFTs of a highlight reel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7pYhzcsO-U

e: mayyybe they didn't have any video rights? But gently caress it, just do it and dare the UCI/IOC to takedown request it.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

TobinHatesYou posted:

Rainbow Sherbet is in.

Of all these teams, naturally UCI asked Schleck to change their colours.

https://mobile.twitter.com/matmitchell30/status/1474141773458980864

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Qhubeka havent been able to get a sponsor after not getting a world tour licence and they're folding.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Apparently one of their sponsors never paid up I wonder which one it could have been

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Apparently one of their sponsors never paid up I wonder which one it could have been

Assos wasn't pleased either because they paid for title sponsorship and no wait, we're totally Qhubeka NextHash now.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

TobinHatesYou posted:

Assos wasn't pleased either because they paid for title sponsorship and no wait, we're totally Qhubeka NextHash now.

Sounds like the team asked too little for the title then had nothing to offer other sponsors they had to approach to cover the shortfall

It was pretty obvious once they got sponsored by a cryptocurrency they were on the way out. Pretty sure I've seen crypto exchanges sponsoring football clubs, but those have much more sponsorship coming in generally, and more clout themselves.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The Crypto sponsor never actually paid them.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Yeah that too, but if Assos were the title sponsor you'd think it would be for enough to cover most of the team's budget, as that's the biggest thing the team can offer. So something went wrong there too.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
They probably negotiated it down because 'hey these guys are offering a load more to be title sponsors so if we ask Assos to drop to secondary for less we still come out way better'

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7HjsNadUig

A very good video on the implications for the world tour teams from next year and the gamification of the UCI ranking point rules to get one of the 18 world tour licences.

As it stands Lotto Soudal would not have a world tour licence next year.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/MatMitchell30/status/1477800286152503296?t=cqBYMj0ekW3CgP_OhKOboQ&s=19

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Well, it's a choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Well now they look like all the other Pro Conti teams they're all set for being relegated