Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Mang Tomas posted:

Game is $39.99 right now on steam.

How is it for PC? Is it worth it if you loved BF4 (at this price)?

More Importantly are people still playing? Hearing the maps filled with bots concerned me.

Do you have atleast an 8 core cpu? Anything less and expect sub 60fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

Do you have atleast an 8 core cpu? Anything less and expect sub 60fps.

I found a weird fix online that somehow helped dramatically for me. The fix was to click the "Restore Defaults" button. For some reason it only works if you click that button and not when you manually change settings (I previously had even tried setting everything to "Low" with barely any improvement).

I was in disbelief that such thing would matter, but it made my framerate improve from like 40-50 (with frequently temporary drops to 20-30) to 60-80 (with it virtually never dropping below 60). The Reddit post that mentioned it is also full of other people having the same experience. I'd be curious to know exactly what's up with that.

My FPS is still dramatically lower than it would normally be with a 2080S, likely due to not having an 8-core CPU, but it made the difference between things being unplayable vs playable.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Mang Tomas posted:

More Importantly are people still playing? Hearing the maps filled with bots concerned me.

I paid $35 and have played for 76 hours, so I got my money's worth. I'm on a 6-core PC FWIW and it runs fine, albeit at lower settings and resolution. I enjoy it much more than the new Warzone in terms of casual MP shooters.

The maps are not filled with bots unless you disable crossplay. This thread sometimes feels full of bots...

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Yeah I run on a Ryzen 5 3600 with a 5700XT at 2k without issues and good frames.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I would not spend money on this game, I advise heavily against it. There is a reason the population of this game is cratering.

Noonsa
Jan 18, 2003
For the love of god, anything other than the
You know a great way to ensure everybody is able to find a full server without relying on cross play no matter the region or time of day? a goddamn server browser.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
This game appears to be doing decently well on PS5. I don't see bots in servers and turned crossplay off day 1.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Series X here, turned crossplay off.

Rounds will start with a ton of bots but within 2-3 minutes they’ve been replaced with players completely.

That’s just in AOW, though. My guess is Portal would be a ghost town

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Lord Packinham posted:

I would not spend money on this game, I advise heavily against it. There is a reason the population of this game is cratering.

Getting a lot of people complaining that they just joined at the end of a round, usually on the losing side.
Some salty players leaving if they dont win, something useless in a BF game really.

Seeing alot of hackers though the last few days. One fucker casually walked in lock on and headshotting six of us, then got into a heli and one handed forced camped us back to base for the rest of the round.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I only knew about the boost using Angel's crate. Gonna hop up on everything now thx pal.

can. you. fly. the drone. when. you. are. standing. on it.

this is important.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

I found a weird fix online that somehow helped dramatically for me. The fix was to click the "Restore Defaults" button. For some reason it only works if you click that button and not when you manually change settings (I previously had even tried setting everything to "Low" with barely any improvement).

I was in disbelief that such thing would matter, but it made my framerate improve from like 40-50 (with frequently temporary drops to 20-30) to 60-80 (with it virtually never dropping below 60). The Reddit post that mentioned it is also full of other people having the same experience. I'd be curious to know exactly what's up with that.

My FPS is still dramatically lower than it would normally be with a 2080S, likely due to not having an 8-core CPU, but it made the difference between things being unplayable vs playable.

like you clicked restore defaults and then altered settings again? there are some defaults i dont want

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Loving my auto shotty on Discarded. Quite chaotic :)

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

the auto shotgun is so much fun with the drum mag. really all the guns are, it kind of sucks that they put those at the 300 kill mark for almost everything

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Booyah- posted:

the auto shotgun is so much fun with the drum mag. really all the guns are, it kind of sucks that they put those at the 300 kill mark for almost everything

Kind of irritated I unlocked the auto after they got rid of the Kaleidoscope cheese

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Booyah- posted:

Kind of irritated I unlocked the auto after they got rid of the Kaleidoscope cheese

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Booyah- posted:

like you clicked restore defaults and then altered settings again? there are some defaults i dont want

Yeah, I was able to change settings back afterwards and still had much better frames than before. It's very confusing and makes me wonder if there are some "behind the scenes" settings that were maybe changed by an update or something and are affected by the Restore Defaults option.

I'm still bottlenecked by CPU (I end up with almost full CPU usage and like ~70% GPU usage), but it's not nearly as bad as it was before.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Wait a goddamn second, I knew shooting lit you up on the minimap but for 5 solid seconds? Also 2 of the suppressors (6KU and Wrapped) don't even stop you from showing up on the minimap?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH9DpPsDTRE

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Suppressors are still loud as gently caress IRL

:themoreyouknow:

Yeah they're only meant to alter the sound profile and lower the level to a point where it isn't catastrophic damage to your hearing

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 22, 2021

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Suppressors are still loud as gently caress IRL

:themoreyouknow:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

PKP seems to be everywhere now, what do people like with it

Also I don't think I've ever seen a recoilless shot get counter measured off a SOFLAM. does it actually bust that somehow?

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

Booyah- posted:

Also I don't think I've ever seen a recoilless shot get counter measured off a SOFLAM. does it actually bust that somehow?

PKP with the 200 rounds of standard ammo shoots at something like 850 rounds per minute with almost no recoil.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

jisforjosh posted:

Wait a goddamn second, I knew shooting lit you up on the minimap but for 5 solid seconds?

5 seconds doesent seem that crazy to me?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

jisforjosh posted:

Wait a goddamn second, I knew shooting lit you up on the minimap but for 5 solid seconds? Also 2 of the suppressors (6KU and Wrapped) don't even stop you from showing up on the minimap?

Supposedly the normal suppressors only work at a certain distance from the enemy. Heavy suppressors hide you all the time.

Booyah- posted:

It shoots fast as gently caress, has a huge ammo capacity and is relatively accurate. The recoil is also surprisingly manageable. It can't equip many barrel attachments(or any underbarrel ones), but it's already really good at it's one job of murdering everyone.

Also it has a perma bipod that actually autodeploys, unlike the regular bipod attachments where you have to manually do it :v:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

yeah I should have been more clear, I was wondering which attachments to use. messing around with it I think I like horizontal recoil control better than vertical for the PKP. most other guns its the opposite

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

jisforjosh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH9DpPsDTRE

yea regular suppressors only work to a certain distance out, the heavy versions work even up close but eat more penalties. it's also worth it to consider using subsonic ammo sometimes, since especially at medium to long range your tracers are gonna give you away long before you gotta worry about the minimap

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Booyah- posted:

yeah I should have been more clear, I was wondering which attachments to use. messing around with it I think I like horizontal recoil control better than vertical for the PKP. most other guns its the opposite

:same:

I run the horizontal recoil control compensator, the first 1.25x sight and high power ammo. I really prefer the low power sights because it reminds me not to gently caress around with people out past 70m or so because they will probably have something that's more accurate.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 22, 2021

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Booyah- posted:

if you're ADS and on your knees or prone, it's an infantry eraser. Even a lovely player like me just wiped out like 6 people in 4 seconds.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

There is no excusing the state the game launched in or the state it's in now, and you should not give EA money for it

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Fart Car '97 posted:

There is no excusing the state the game launched in or the state it's in now, and you should not give EA money for it

Too late

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I've had EA Pro Pass for awhile now, I don't see why I wouldn't play the game if I enjoy it just because other people are upset about it. People can continue to post complaints on reddit, and I'll continue to keep playing if I'm having fun.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

5 seconds doesent seem that crazy to me?

5 seconds for a regular spot is fine. 5 seconds because you fired your gun in a shooter is a bit excessive. The BF4 system of you showing up while you were shooting and the spot fading within a second and not moving with you was perfect.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

jisforjosh posted:

5 seconds for a regular spot is fine. 5 seconds because you fired your gun in a shooter is a bit excessive. The BF4 system of you showing up while you were shooting and the spot fading within a second and not moving with you was perfect.

Yeah, shot spotting should be exactly that. Just a short marker for the position of the shots, not a moving spot for 5 seconds.

I found out why I thought Rao's powerglove spotting was bugged. When you switch to Rao's computer, the sonar ONLY spots the enemies in your direct line of sight and nothing else. I'm just gonna repeat that that's absolutely useless.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the maps are so gigantic w/ so many doodads that it's impossible to clear all the angles in an area or not start getting shot from the middle of nowhere so being spotted for a while b/c you shot is fine

if you don't like it use a suppressor lol

5 seconds might be a bit much and people could theoretically abuse it by lining up the top of their minimap on you through smokes

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

place a turret, smoke >= 3m behind the turret, then use an ammo box properly to have an indefinite smoke up

the turret will 3d spot enemies for you through the smoke to shoot

there is a ton of counterplay to this tactic though to destroy or disable the turret so it's not really that busted

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

comedyblissoption posted:

if you don't like it use a suppressor lol

I mean, suppressors are pretty useless as well since they don't prevent you getting spotted from within 20m unless you use the heavy ones.

The game right now is that there's very little that you can do not being spotted 90% of the time.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

did some testing and the light suppressors actually decrease your damage by 10% and the heavy suppressors decrease it by 15%

in general this means your bullets to kill increases by 1 even against armored targets (so that means 2 more hits than normal) which is pretty bad

the heavy suppressor usually doesn't increase your bullets to kill from using a light suppressor but it can happen

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
basically a built in wallhack for everyone

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I don't really get the complaint about the 5s on the minimap. This isn't a Battle Royale, I don't think more visibility for infantry on the minimap is game-breaking or anything.

comedyblissoption posted:

place a turret, smoke >= 3m behind the turret, then use an ammo box properly to have an indefinite smoke up

the turret will 3d spot enemies for you through the smoke to shoot

there is a ton of counterplay to this tactic though to destroy or disable the turret so it's not really that busted

Seems fun with the PKP. I've started running the smoke launcher on my AC-42 by default as well as smoke grenades. Regrettably I am still only on T4 with smoke somehow.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Fart Car '97 posted:

I am very sorry for enjoying the game against your wishes. I will try to have less fun.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Fidelitious posted:

I am very sorry for enjoying the game against your wishes. I will try to have less fun.

I was replying this this post:

Mang Tomas posted:

If you have the game and enjoy it great whatever, but Skyarb is right about " If you're asking this question in this thread now, you're going to get an unrealistic answer because the vast majority of players have moved on already and those that remain are the few that liked it."

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

I don't really get the complaint about the 5s on the minimap. This isn't a Battle Royale, I don't think more visibility for infantry on the minimap is game-breaking or anything.

It's not game breaking it's more that in the current state of the game there are already so many things that can 3D spot you. Players manually, drones automatically, shooting, sentry guns automatically, and everyone and their mom carrying prox sensors since it's one of the fastest ways to level AND best way to spot doesn't help matters. Player visibility as infantry isn't that big of an issues in this game given the color palettes of the maps/player models combined with a severe lack of cover/concealment.

The only thing 3D spotting does is make it easier for heli pilots to farm.