Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

shoeberto posted:

That is really reassuring, thank you. All I seem to be hearing about is nurses burning out everywhere which kinda freaked me out.

The moment I find her watching anime, she's off to boarding school.

where she can join an anime club and you'll never know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

straight shining, forehead’s got to gleam

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

started singing it so i have to poast it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5y3NQi_RAY

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Fabricated posted:

That's still Delta infections then. Apparently the majority of omicron infections have not experienced the lost sense of smell or taste.

I think it's stil way too early to say that. The question is is omicron intrinsically milder than previous variants, or is it milder because it's escaping immunity (either from vax or infection) and is then milder because people have immunity to clear the infection quickly.

there are still plenty of naive individuals who haven't been vaccinated and haven't had a previous infection, and we have no idea yet how omicron behaves in that group

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
so uh it’s not news huh that basically the entire NHL season is on pause now

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Isn't another league also pausing their season? Really great time to fly home for winter lol.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
things are actually incredibly dire right now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

graph posted:

i mean no, not any more than you have to wear masks on planes or some countries are locking down again. of course they're stopping sports.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Cat Face Joe posted:

started singing it so i have to poast it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5y3NQi_RAY

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
https://twitter.com/jenkatesdc/status/1473408798148681738

this is really bad

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

graph posted:

I made a bet to my wife that the Christmas day NFL games won't be played as scheduled. Browns had 18 players on the covid list over the weekend and got their game delayed by two days. There's no loving way the whole league isn't on covid restrictions by the weekend.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Kinda wondering if the UK/US/etc will follow South Africa but it'll be a weird state-by-state, region-by-region thing based on vaxx+previous infection rate.

https://twitter.com/hivepi/status/1472849041197346822?s=20

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1472664060445569026?s=20

https://twitter.com/michaelzlin/status/1473115892355506176?s=20

Denmark also seeing a similar decoupling between cases/hospitalization/deaths.

I wonder if there's any place that did estimates of where the actual, fully immune-naive people all are in the US- basically places with low vaxx uptake that also didn't have proportionally huge surges in cases in earlier waves.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 22, 2021

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

47% percent hospitalization versus delta is good news but if you have an order of magnitude more cases then welp, it's still going to be 5x more

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Fabricated posted:

Kinda wondering if the UK/US/etc will follow South Africa but it'll be a weird state-by-state, region-by-region thing based on vaxx+previous infection rate.

https://twitter.com/hivepi/status/1472849041197346822?s=20

I'm extremely skeptical of this graph. The first three peaks have near simultaneous increases in cases, hospitalizations, and deaths. That really seems to suggest that people weren't even getting tested until they got to the hospital, and then they were only going to the hospital because they were struggling to breathe and were near death. it doesn't fit the progression of events we saw in the US for those three things. People were languishing in the ICU for months before succumbing to covid in previous waves. if there really is a decoupling of cases and deaths then that's great, because if not then we are in for a truly horrific winter. people said the same thing about delta too though. i don't think you can really tell while the wave is ongoing, the long delays between infections and severe symptoms and deaths can easily fool you into a false sense of security and complacency and have done so already in the recent past.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Stereotype posted:

I'm extremely skeptical of this graph. The first three peaks have near simultaneous increases in cases, hospitalizations, and deaths. That really seems to suggest that people weren't even getting tested until they got to the hospital, and then they were only going to the hospital because they were struggling to breathe and were near death. if there really is a decoupling of cases and deaths then that's great, because if not then we are in for a truly horrific winter. people said the same thing about delta too though. i don't think you can really tell while the wave is ongoing, the long delays between infections and severe symptoms and deaths can easily fool you into a false sense of security and complacency and have done so already in the recent past.
The wave in South Africa appears to have crested like 3-4 days ago and the decoupling in hospitalization/death seems to be holding so far- even for places that have had 20+ days of data from when the poo poo really hit the fan.

Also about your skepticism: there was a lot of incidental diagnoses in the first part of their wave. Most weren't counted as "hospitalizations" but there were apparently very large numbers of people who tested positive for COVID while at the hospital or doctor for something completely different. We don't know for sure but most of these experts are guessing there was a shitload of subclinical infections (people who weren't asymptomatic but not symptomatic enough to care to even get tested). Lots of people not getting very sick is good- but if the subclinical infection thing is true that means this thing is even more infectious than people are guessing because there's swaths of people who simply don't even know they have it spreading it (e: and NOT getting tested).

Also the guy who made that graph is a senior medical epidemiologist for the NICD in South Africa, and not say- a nutritionist

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 22, 2021

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Stereotype posted:

things are actually incredibly dire right now

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1316894374500962305

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

lot of opportunity to eat even these words yet, but: at least omicron seems to be a lot better a mutation than what we deserve given the selfish way global vaccine distribution (and manufacturing permissions) have been handled.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

lot of opportunity to eat even these words yet, but: at least omicron seems to be a lot better a mutation than what we deserve given the selfish way global vaccine distribution (and manufacturing permissions) have been handled.

quoting to come back to this post in 2 months

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

everyone loves to trot this out to make fun of biden but just imagine what it would be like confronting delta or omicron with trump still in charge

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's incredibly funny that we're getting the free testing thing in January because Psaki rolled her eyes at someone who asked about mailing out tests

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

haveblue posted:

everyone loves to trot this out to make fun of biden but just imagine what it would be like confronting delta or omicron with trump still in charge

joe biden's plan is to throw wave after wave of poor people at it until the virus reaches its preset kill limit and shuts down

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

haveblue posted:

the people who really love to trot it out are the ones who aren't anywhere near the continental united states as well

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Kazinsal posted:

the people who really love to trot it out are the ones who aren't anywhere near the continental united states as well

are you trying to steal american valor here?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Joe said he would support universal mask mandates. where are they

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

haveblue posted:

…almost exactly the same?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Fabricated posted:

Also the guy who made that graph is a senior medical epidemiologist for the NICD in South Africa, and not say- a nutritionist

lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
just got some paper from med ins co. covid shot was $58 and flu is $38. how the gently caress is a flu shot thirty eight dollars

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

when pressed you'll find their argument is "well, with trump in power, the democrats would have an enemy to focus on and would get some things accomplished," ignoring that trump was already in power for four years and ah! well. nevertheless,

so either they're idiots or they're accelerationists.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i knew some accelerationists in college but they all grew out of it before 25 or so

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what results is basically a mud planet with mud people

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Sagebrush posted:

when pressed you'll find their argument is "well, with trump in power, the democrats would have an enemy to focus on and would get some things accomplished," ignoring that trump was already in power for four years and ah! well. nevertheless,

what

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

graph posted:

just got some paper from med ins co. covid shot was $58 and flu is $38. how the gently caress is a flu shot thirty eight dollars

I’ve never heard of anyone with insurance getting billed for a flu shot, it’s like the most basic definition of “preventative care”

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if trump was in charge the blue states would be acting like there's a pandemic on instead of getting back to brunch

but also the feds would be stealing all their medical supplies and letting them rot in dc warehouses, so it wouldn't really be an improvement

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Endless Mike posted:

what nutrition? rice is just empty carbs
It definitely is if you remove the bran and do your best to wash away everything else

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ShadowHawk posted:

It definitely is if you remove the bran and do your best to wash away everything else

just so you're aware, the white rice you're buying doesn't have anything but excess starch on the outside. removing all the other extra stuff is literally what makes it "white rice".

sorry you had to find out this way.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

I’ve never heard of anyone with insurance getting billed for a flu shot, it’s like the most basic definition of “preventative care”

i mean they were both covered but still

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

graph posted:

covid shots shouldn't have to be covered. the systems here specifically say "even if you have insurance, do not enter it for the covid shot" to avoid potential billing shenanigans for a shot that is 100% free

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

graph posted:

yeah when covid and flu shots are defined as "PERSON WILL PAY $0" they can charge whatever they want to insurance when presented. it's bullshit, but scamming insurance is what keeps the shaggers of the world employed so who can say if it is good or not

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

are you talking about anyone here or just some guys you know irl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

when i got my booster i forgot to take my prescription card (i just had my medical insurance card), so they billed some special "uninsured" code for the insurance instead.

last time i got a flu shot i did the same thing too, but the woman somehow figured out how to use my non-prescription insurance card instead. she also did a great job with the shot, didn't feel a thing.