Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Drop rates used to be kinda insane, so much so that you didn't really need that kind of exploit, but those were slashed when Gearbox added rerolls for anointments (an extra effect that can make your gear much more powerful). But I haven't played since before that change.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

LegoMan posted:

I just bought this for my son and me to play. One thing I liked about 1 was there were two opportunities to kill a boss and have a bunch of chests to loot (Claptraps and General Knoxx if you abused a couple glitches)

I don't care about specific items I just like having all those chests too open. Are there any things like that in 3 or is it simply "farm single boss repeatedly"

this is what i like about arms race but it's a very different game than the rest of BL3, so ymmv

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Finished bl2 and 3 long rear end time ago so started goofing around with TPS yesterday. Did it ever have a thread or was it mixed with the Bl2 thread?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

a sexual elk posted:

Finished bl2 and 3 long rear end time ago so started goofing around with TPS yesterday. Did it ever have a thread or was it mixed with the Bl2 thread?

probably at some point, but this has become the de facto all things Borderlands thread as far as i'm aware.

TPS is a guilty pleasure of mine. With a bigger budget, it might've been a worthy successor to BL2. Though I'm not actually sure which game I put more hours into. Athena's my favorite class in the franchise.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If you're not trying to min/max then yes there are tons of opportunity's for fun looting with your son.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Playing TPS as Athena was some of the most fun I've ever had in any Borderlands.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Real pity the second expansion was cancelled, because map variety is one of the game's bigger issues.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Rinkles posted:

Real pity the second expansion was cancelled, because map variety is one of the game's bigger issues.

And the cruise ship/theme park setting sounded great. Claptastic Journey seemed to indicate they were finding their feet too. I think some of it got recycled into the Handsome Jackpot DLC but clearly a bunch of ideas were lost.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Just got this to play with my dad (not LegoMan lol) and we're planning to play thru entirely together. So far, he's picked Moze, I've picked Fl4k, and we're level 8-ish. I have played through the campaign of BL1 and 2, but never played endgame or anything serious and this is pop's first Borderlands adventure. Any advice, good leveling ideas, or fun legendaries we can farm early so I can show him the wild guns?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Don't worry about farming, that to me at least kills some of the fun until you're really out of other content. The drop rates are pretty high anyway.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Especially if you're playing through the story the first time, drop rates are still pretty generous. Anything that's going to be insane will very obviously stick out because when they went back to buff certain base game items they got absurd amounts of extra damage.

Once you're in the DLC, the drop rates are pretty poo poo unless you're in endgame mode but honestly I wouldn't worry about anything until you finish the story first and then it makes more sense to seek out advice.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

BizarroAzrael posted:

And the cruise ship/theme park setting sounded great. Claptastic Journey seemed to indicate they were finding their feet too. I think some of it got recycled into the Handsome Jackpot DLC but clearly a bunch of ideas were lost.
I think it's safe to assume the plant parasite infected passengers were recycled into the Commander Lilith DLC, and that and Jackpot I'd say we got the lion's share of what was imagined in different wrapping.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

pork never goes bad posted:

Just got this to play with my dad (not LegoMan lol) and we're planning to play thru entirely together. So far, he's picked Moze, I've picked Fl4k, and we're level 8-ish. I have played through the campaign of BL1 and 2, but never played endgame or anything serious and this is pop's first Borderlands adventure. Any advice, good leveling ideas, or fun legendaries we can farm early so I can show him the wild guns?

Drop rates are absurdly generous- by the halfway point of the campaign, I'd gotten more legendaries in 3 than I had ever gotten in 1 and 2 combined. The level curve is also much better than the previous games; I finished the campaign somewhere around level 40-45 instead of the usual 30-ish.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Good to hear re level curve. Part of the reason I do wanna do a lil bit of farming some early minibosses is because my dad likes to revisit fights he enjoyed. We'll probably just pick based on which ones I hear him raving about afterwards rather than based on the rewards. We did drop a cool shotgun that shoots a couple rows of wavey balls which bounce all around. It's awesome, I love it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

FYI, for anyone looking to wring out as much performance as they can out of their older GPUs in BL2 or TPS, changing this setting made my frame rate go from 70-110, to a fairly consistent 120fps at 1440p, with a GTX 970.

in WillowEngine.ini, which should be in Documents\My Games\borderlands 2\willowgame\Config\

change this line from
code:
DefaultPostProcessName=WillowEngineMaterials.WillowScenePostProcess
to

code:
DefaultPostProcessName=WillowEngineMaterials.RyanScenePostProcess
this disables the characteristic black outlines. some might prefer the look, I don't, but it's not worth the performance hit imo.

I was tempted to get the $5 BL3 on epic (after coupon), but I doubt it would run anywhere close to 60 on my system

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 30, 2021

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
How's the splitscreen coop in this game (I'm on PS5)? Better/worse than previous Borderlands games?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

FYI, for anyone looking to wring out as much performance as they can out of their older GPUs in BL2 or TPS, changing this setting made my frame rate go from 70-110, to a fairly consistent 120fps at 1440p, with a GTX 970.

in WillowEngine.ini, which should be in Documents\My Games\borderlands 2\willowgame\Config\

change this line from
code:
DefaultPostProcessName=WillowEngineMaterials.WillowScenePostProcess
to

code:
DefaultPostProcessName=WillowEngineMaterials.RyanScenePostProcess
this disables the characteristic black outlines. some might prefer the look, I don't, but it's not worth the performance hit imo.

I was tempted to get the $5 BL3 on epic (after coupon), but I doubt it would run anywhere close to 60 on my system

It's a weirdly resource-intensive game. On a 3600X and 2070 Super I had to dial a few settings down to maintain a decent framerate.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i think BL3 runs better than BL2 on my machine that i pretty much built to run BL2 back in the day lol

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Are there any better health shields than the Plus Ultra? At first I couldn't understand why I ended up with so much health with it but turns out there's a hidden health modifier.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Finally got around to playing this. At level 18, playing FL4K. Some thoughts:

-The gunplay is REALLY good. Everything feels super punchy. Also the drop rates are significantly less bad than past games.
-I think I need to upgrade my computer a bit. Takes a while for some textures to properly load, and there have been moments a lot of slowdown. Lowering the DirectX version helped a LOT though. Like, I initially couldn't even play the intro cutscene.
-The writing is...tolerable. It doesn't feel too different compared to past games, but that's still not ideal. I've heard a couple things about this game that leads me to believe it will have ups and downs.
-I'm oddly captivated by Arms Race. "Battle Royale but its PVE" is an interesting concept and strangely thrilling. That being said, how a game of it starts can really make or break a run.
-Borderlands Science is very odd to me but I like puzzle games so I'm into it. I have a nagging wonder if it actually helps scientists or not.

Quick question about the DLC: Should I turn on True Vault Hunter Mode before going in like I would with past games or am I good to go from when I beat the game? Also, someone hopped into my session and activated a DLC early. will that affect my balance? I'm under the impression you can't cancel a quest.

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 7, 2022

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Mikedawson posted:

Finally got around to playing this. At level 18, playing FL4K. Some thoughts:

-The gunplay is REALLY good. Everything feels super punchy. Also the drop rates are significantly less bad than past games.
-I think I need to upgrade my computer a bit. Takes a while for some textures to properly load, and there have been moments a lot of slowdown
-The writing is...tolerable. It doesn't feel too different compared to past games, but that's still not ideal. I've heard a couple things about this game that leads me to believe it will have ups and downs.
-I'm oddly captivated by Arms Race. "Battle Royale but its PVE" is an interesting concept and strangely thrilling. That being said, how a game of it starts can really make or break a run.
-Borderlands Science is very odd to me but I like puzzle games so I'm into it. I have a nagging wonder if it actually helps scientists or not.

Quick question about the DLC: Should I turn on True Vault Hunter Mode before going in like I would with past games or am I good to go from when I beat the game? Also, someone hopped into my session and activated a DLC early. will that affect my balance? I'm under the impression you can't cancel a quest.

I think you can drop some quests, maybe they have to be flagged as side quests? Regardless, I'm pretty sure nothing should happen to the rest of the game, except you will have the intro quest for the DLC in your log.

I'm a bad person with awful taste so I've always enjoyed the overall flavor of Borderlands writing, and while I haven't played since getting through most of the second DLC season once what I did play through I liked most of, and also found overall that the parts I really didn't like about the writing had had their edges mostly taken off.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Once you finish the story mode and unlock mayhem scaling, you can turn that on and it's effectively the same as being in TVHM (which includes DLC scaling to you and your party) except you don't have to redo the entire main story again.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mikedawson posted:

You're at the swamp planet, right? I think you're just about where it all goes down hill in the main game. Like most of the plot is servicable, not great but not terrible in the main story until after that.
The main villains are supposed to be obnoxious.
At least through 2/3s of the game the writers remember you're there and important. In some of the later cutscenes and plot points the player vaulthunters aren't even included. You're just doing fetch quests and boss fights before cutscenes that take place directly where you were standing 5 seconds ago. Then after the important characters are done, you can talk with them about the stuff they just did before the next fetch quest.
It's especially funny if you play the siren, since they specifically make a big deal about having a siren on their team again and how rare they are and how hopeless the conflict was without a siren on your team. Amara really should have had some flustered or annoyed callouts about that in those blank spots where the player characters respond to the real stars.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Update: The bit where you can get Rhys to shave his mustache was genuinely very funny.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Updating again to say I'm finally off the swamp planet. It feels like I'm already nearing the last section of the game? Besides all the DLC of course.
-This game is much better than I expected. That being said, there sure is a lot of filler on the swamp planet, and I feel like it's a bit unnecessary for Wainwright to constantly refer to Aurelia as a "harpy".
-I ended up playing Borderlands Science enough that I can just always have boosters on.
-FL4K rules so much.
-I kind of want to get my friends together for a 4-player campaign, maybe go through the older games too. Or do a Let's Play or a podcast or write an essay or something. I'm kind of fixated on Borderlands at the moment.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Mikedawson posted:

Updating again to say I'm finally off the swamp planet. It feels like I'm already nearing the last section of the game? Besides all the DLC of course.
-This game is much better than I expected. That being said, there sure is a lot of filler on the swamp planet, and I feel like it's a bit unnecessary for Wainwright to constantly refer to Aurelia as a "harpy".
-I ended up playing Borderlands Science enough that I can just always have boosters on.
-FL4K rules so much.
-I kind of want to get my friends together for a 4-player campaign, maybe go through the older games too. Or do a Let's Play or a podcast or write an essay or something. I'm kind of fixated on Borderlands at the moment.

Don't worry, every time you start to have fun it'll be time to Talk to Lilith!

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Mikedawson posted:

-FL4K rules so much.

Which BL games have you played, ooc?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rinkles posted:

probably at some point, but this has become the de facto all things Borderlands thread as far as i'm aware.

TPS is a guilty pleasure of mine. With a bigger budget, it might've been a worthy successor to BL2. Though I'm not actually sure which game I put more hours into. Athena's my favorite class in the franchise.

I don't really get why people seem to hate TPS so much, aside from it being Yet More poo poo About Handsome Jack. I had a lot of fun with it, aside from that bullshit final boss in the DLC where a couple levels is the difference between "barely scratching it" and "easily melting it"

Mikedawson posted:

Are you suggesting that they would go to the trouble of getting Dr. Blossom, Ph.D, star of Big Bazinga Theory and host of Jeopardy, to lie about science?

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 10, 2022

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Elpis isn't that interesting a setting, it's just the samey rocky environments for most of the game, yes, I am aware that this is how our moon also looks but it's not that exciting to spend a lot of time on.

Helios is the highlight though, I enjoy running around the space station.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Judge Tesla posted:

Elpis isn't that interesting a setting, it's just the samey rocky environments for most of the game, yes, I am aware that this is how our moon also looks but it's not that exciting to spend a lot of time on.

True, but I felt like they mixed the environments up enough that I didn't find it too samey and annoying. Especially in the DLC, where they weren't limited by the environments having to be consistent.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Mikedawson posted:

I think you're about at the halfway mark.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Started playing BL3 with the kid and my only real complaint is that there are too many loot boxes lying around everywhere. I wish there were like a quarter as many (with similar total amount of loot), it gets tiresome constantly stopping.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

raditts posted:

I don't really get why people seem to hate TPS so much, aside from it being Yet More poo poo About Handsome Jack. I had a lot of fun with it, aside from that bullshit final boss in the DLC where a couple levels is the difference between "barely scratching it" and "easily melting it"

TPS had an awful lot of "Go here! Oh no, something happened so you can't get there anymore, go here instead! Oh no, another contrivance happened, go this third way! Oh no, something happened yet again, go the original way now!" and it got so tiresome. It did have the best cast of vault hunters to play, so it wasn't all bad.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Father Wendigo posted:

Which BL games have you played, ooc?

All of them! 1, 2, Pre-Sequel and Tales. I guess I worded that oddly.

I guess since we're talking about other games here are my thoughts on each one:

-1 is weird. It feels weird. Way more desolate and grey compared to the rest of the series. Definitely were trying to find their footing with the setting and mechanics. I loved the General Knoxx DLC though (aside from uncharacteristically homophobic bits with the prison section).
-2 has it's ups and downs. Definitely an improvement over 1.
--Side note: 1 and 2 feel way more intended to be played multiplayer than the other games. This is part of the reason why I said I might bring together some friends to replay them.
-Pre-Sequel is pretty good. Feels weirdly short, like they had to cut down a whole bunch on content, but the character classes are very good. Didn't personally mind the way it keeps redirecting you around levels but I can see why it's annoying.
-Tales is great. I recently replayed it and it didn't hit me the way it did the first time but it's still a strong game. A cool thing I have heard about is a couch co-op playthrough where one player controls all the Rhys segments and the other player plays through all the Fiona segments.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Mikedawson posted:

-Tales is great. I recently replayed it and it didn't hit me the way it did the first time but it's still a strong game. A cool thing I have heard about is a couch co-op playthrough where one player controls all the Rhys segments and the other player plays through all the Fiona segments.

Well now that you made it past Promethea and you know the canon ending epilogue where Rhys finds the deed to Atlas in Jack's glass trophy case and Fiona decides to strike out on her own adventure

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Yeah I’m on my first play thru of TPS after about 300 hours on bl2&3. Started with jack but having a blast with the baroness freezing eveeeeerything then sniping. I missed bl2 sniping I could never get into it with 3 since everything only popped up when you were close to an area.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Snipers felt worthless in BL3 because like, why would I use a slow weapon with a scope instead of a gatling gun with the same scope that does 3-4x the damage?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

raditts posted:

Snipers felt worthless in BL3 because like, why would I use a slow weapon with a scope instead of a gatling gun with the same scope that does 3-4x the damage?

Zane at least is pretty good with autosnipers thanks to Double Barrel. The clone eliminates basically all their weaknesses as weapons.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Personally I liked TPS, and wish they had developed that more instead of doing whatever they did that resulted in BL3. As far as I'm concerned BL3 is the low point of the series, and makes me much less enthusiastic about any future entries in it. I did one full playthrough of BL3, started a second but gave up on it well before the halfway mark. BL1, 2, and TPS I played multiple times each, with all the base characters and a few DLC characters. If it weren't for some of the BL3 DLC being okay I'd want to write it off entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

im probably the biggest tps hater. it’s not all bad, the characters are so loving well designed, but it’s just such a boring environment and the level design is boring and all the missions are designed in a way where you go do a thing and then it doesn’t work so you’re told to backtrack and do another thing, and that doesn’t work so you have to backtrack and do something else. it’s entirely a issue of how it’s presented but it’s so consistently bad.

also we didn’t need more jack and all the answers it gives about his backstory just weakens his character. reframing all of 2 as a revenge plot is just really weakens it.

that said some of the side quests are fantastic and i don’t care janey springs is a good character