Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fart simpson posted:

are you talking about anyone here or just some guys you know irl?

someone right up above said that if trump were still in power the democratic states would be taking things more seriously. i disagree with that. they'd be doing the exact same thing as they are now, because what they do (or fail to do) is completely independent of their political rival.

the only difference is that their pleading for campaign dollars would have a specific target instead of a general republican boogeyman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I’m not sure sending out masks or free tests is really gonna make a huge difference either. like, maybe if you sent out really good masks, but the problem is that we just really don’t give a poo poo about zero covid.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

kitten emergency posted:

I’m not sure sending out masks or free tests is really gonna make a huge difference either. like, maybe if you sent out really good masks, but the problem is that we just really don’t give a poo poo about zero covid.

Nothing outside of a China/Australia/New Zealand type response would have had any significant impact.

If you're scared of the "authoritarianism" then you have to entice people. Things like giving people money, eliminating their debts/large payments, and handing out masks, tests, etc would have helped do this.

We instead half assed a response and now completely don't give a poo poo. You can look at how Psaki responded when asked about tests, or Kamala saying they didn't see a mutation coming (???) as examples of the administration just not caring.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I honestly don't know how the US can manage it's completely screwed up response. A good way to start would be to do all the things I mentioned above along with nationalizing the pharma and health industries.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I honestly don't know how the US can manage it's completely screwed up response. A good way to start would be to do all the things I mentioned above along with nationalizing the pharma and health industries.

based on info on how the vaxx makes omicron's symptoms pretty drat mild on average, we just need to wait for it to crater the chud population.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I think a lot of people still assume that things will just eventually be okay and that we don’t have to do anything. that’s what has always happened before.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Stereotype posted:

I think a lot of people still assume that things will just eventually be okay and that we don’t have to do anything. that’s what has always happened before.

tbf this is how the boomers won ww2, no reason it shouldn't work this time

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

by being born in the 20 years following its conclusion?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Penguissimo posted:

tbf this is how the boomers won ww2, no reason it shouldn't work this time

lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Kazinsal posted:

based on info on how the vaxx makes omicron's symptoms pretty drat mild on average, we just need to wait for it to crater the chud population.

The virus doesn't only target chuds. Do kids too young for vaccines, or anyone who wasn't able to get doses for whatever reason deserve to die?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The virus doesn't only target chuds. Do kids too young for vaccines, or anyone who wasn't able to get doses for whatever reason deserve to die?

glad this hot take is still popping up. yes they definitely think it’s cool for kids and the immunocompromised to die. they’re laughing about it, actually

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

They should all be executed imo.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

are you one of those people not near the continental united states i keep hearing about? did you bail to hawaii or something?

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

today i waited for 4 hours in line for a covid test and got handed a take-home rapid test. lol. did come back negative, so that's nice at least

test centers here are absolutely hosed, there's only 3 for the whole metro area. yesterday set the record for highest one-day provincial case count.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my city started giving out free take-home rapid tests today, and apparently the line for one of the places offering them was wrapped around the block twice at 8 AM, an hour before they started giving them out

we've had free take-home PCR tests for awhile available at a dozen or so places around the city, plus a bunch of pop-up free testing locations. as bad as my city's response has been overall, it's been good on the testing front

and lol the mayor just announced that starting january 15, you'll need at least one shot to enter bars and restaurants, because we don't want to ruin any plague carriers' new years eves

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lmao

https://twitter.com/nick_beauchamp/status/1473509106187223043

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

glad this hot take is still popping up. yes they definitely think it’s cool for kids and the immunocompromised to die. they’re laughing about it, actually

i mean, it's a less obnoxious take than the callous "let them die" bs. if one doesn't want to get called on saying dumb poo poo, one should consider not saying dumb poo poo

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

quote:

infections
Canada has reported 12,114 new COVID-19 infections so far Wednesday, setting a new record for daily cases since the start of the pandemic.

That number does not include infections from Alberta and British Columbia, which report later in the day, or any of the territories.
:toot:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

the flu, which basically was non-existant last year, is making a roaring comeback too

:rubby:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

fart simpson posted:

are you one of those people not near the continental united states i keep hearing about? did you bail to hawaii or something?

i bailed to hawaii in 2010. we were doing pretty well avoiding massive uncontrollable covid transmission until this past week when we've been averaging case counts ten times what they were two weeks ago

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
haha oops!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i got an exposure notification on my phone for the first time! it's from 8 days ago, which means i'd either have gotten sick and know and probably still be coming off it or gotten sick and not known and it's already gone. kinda pointless except to ramp up my anxiety! the website it sent me to says to wear a mask indoors in public which i do anyway. the weird thing is i didn't go anywhere the day it's from, so idk how i even got it unless someone was standing outside my house for 15 minutes (which is possible)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

heck of a way to find out you have a stalker, but now you know.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

radio signals can do weird things sometimes

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
just announced: spring semester will start remotely, lol! also we expect you to be on campus

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

graph posted:

just announced: spring semester will start remotely, lol! also we expect you to be on campus
Barring anything else we're starting spring semester fully on campus, lol. Our university/state hasn't blown up yet so our chud university president is probably gonna crow about it too.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

everybody in positions of power showing their rear end over and over again about not understanding exponents

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
you think you can show just a little bit of rear end and before you know it you've shown the whole thing

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Stereotype posted:

lol more like a lot of people assume the pandemic's already basically over

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

our university is still on its "a few more in person classes than last semester, but still mostly online" thing, but with the omicron news, everyone is now required to get the booster by feb 28th or six months after dose 2, whichever is later. still masks 100% of the time while indoors.

seems okay. we had a number of reports of positive cases over the semester, but it was all people getting infected at home and bringing it in. zero community transmission at the institution as far as we know. p deece

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
lmao

https://twitter.com/kimpossiblefact/status/1474118039905857557

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

my sister let me know the other day that they got a covid guy in the hospital who's been a complete loving rear end in a top hat to the staff screaming about how covid isn't real

he's on a vent now and doing poorly. anyway merry christmas yospos

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's really something to watch these chud politicians getting the mob all fired up with demagoguery to try and use them for their own ends, only to recoil in horror as they lose control of what they've created. someone should try writing a book about that, or something.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Sagebrush posted:

it's really something to watch these chud politicians getting the mob all fired up with demagoguery to try and use them for their own ends, only to recoil in horror as they lose control of what they've created. someone should try writing a book about that, or something.

it's really telling how much more ideologically committed republican voters are than democrat ones.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

factual evidence that contradicts an irrational belief generally strengthens the belief, it’s a motherfucker

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

qirex posted:

factual evidence that contradicts an irrational belief generally strengthens the belief, it’s a motherfucker

see the 2020 democrat primary as evidence

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

pos'ed my boosted neg rear end sometime last week before xmas

probably while last minute xmas shopping or sitting outside having a drink, masked everywhere but crowds are crowds and outside is outside

basically have equivalent symptoms of strep throat for last 3ish days and got a home test this morning, also got a pcr result on the way

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i'm finally getting my booster tonight

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

my work is going to require weekly screenings to come on site, regardless of vax status. maybe slightly late, would be nice to have worked it all out before our winter break.

that will be my first covid test, i managed to dodge needing one until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my work provides those cue tester thingies and test cartridges. i think they cap how many cartridges you get at like 20/month, which is insanely high (but i guess makes sense for people going to the office 5 days a week)

anyway we're about to open our second ten-pack of cartridges and it's little poo poo like this - that's very expensive on an individual level but easy for a company to absorb - that makes my current employment so sticky