Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played a couple rounds of golf last night and it's definitely a noticeable improvement. With all the time I spent figeting with the hmd in the past to get the blurriness to go away I was never able to get it perfect try as I might, and I could never tell if the lenses were smudged or scuffed or if that's just the resolution and it won't ever get better. It's now clear to me that blurriness was because of my hosed up eyes lol. I'm not blind without my glasses so it's a light prescription but it's a big improvement and I'm very happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

How is that Warplanes: WW1 Fighters game? Looks kinda cool and I have a 30% code burning a hole in my wallet.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Enos Cabell posted:

How is that Warplanes: WW1 Fighters game? Looks kinda cool and I have a 30% code burning a hole in my wallet.

I played a bit of it, it's pretty neat but honestly I didn't spend too much time with it because I was getting a pretty bad headache from it from constantly looking around to track the planes I was fighting. I've been meaning to go back to it since I did buy it but haven't been doing much VR lately so I'm trying to build up my tolerance again. It seems like there's a bit of an xcom squad thing going on because you get wingmen you can buy planes for and upgrade so that all seemed pretty neat.

Edit: this is probably a bad answer sorry lol

explosivo fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 22, 2021

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I felt the same way, honestly. It's the only VR game that has made me kind of nauseous but ymmv.

Steam winter sale is on and just about every major VR game is on sale: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/winter2021_vr

...except Beat Saber

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Blade and Sorcery is stuttering SO bad. Can't even navigate the menus.

I STG VR never is 100% operable.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Enos Cabell posted:

It is an awesome game that's really fun to play multiplayer with friends, there are some things to know though.

#1: When you're starting out you have to pick between two sets of missions, don't pick "triple entente" because you start out with a really bad plane that will probably make you sick.

I think this plane is responsible for a lot of people noping out of the game. Your view is almost entirely unobstructed and instead of a fixed gun you have an aimable gun on a pivot. That combination of no reference frame and fighting with the plane and gun simultaneously is puke city, practically every other plane has a canopy and fixed guns.

#2: Choose realistic flight. There's a few options that range from cartoonishly responsive to fairly difficult but me and my friends had the most fun on realistic.

#3: Pick planes that come with a lot of flares, because taking down other planes with a flare gun is always hilarious and satisfying.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

explosivo posted:

I played a bit of it, it's pretty neat but honestly I didn't spend too much time with it because I was getting a pretty bad headache from it from constantly looking around to track the planes I was fighting.

Cutedge posted:

I felt the same way, honestly. It's the only VR game that has made me kind of nauseous but ymmv.

Tip posted:

It is an awesome game that's really fun to play multiplayer with friends, there are some things to know though.

Thanks all, think I'll go ahead and snag that and follow Tip's advice to hopefully bypass the sickness.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Cutedge posted:

...except Beat Saber

I'm sure it's a fine game, and maybe some day I'll even buy it!

But I'm in no hurry because it'll always be there waiting for me, at the same price as always.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Got a Quest 2 in November. Any must grabs from the Steam sale? (I have Alyx already)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Harry Privates posted:

Got a Quest 2 in November. Any must grabs from the Steam sale? (I have Alyx already)

Boneworks and Pavlov if you like shooting.
Blade and Sorcery for the best melee fighting out there.

Star Wars Squadrons is great but doesn't have motion controls.

Elite Dangerous if you want more space stuff.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Rectus posted:

Speaking of pogo sticks, they're very fun in VR.

Things like a pogo stick capable of firing you hundreds of feet into the air, even with some ability to steer, but does NOTHING about landing safely is exactly how magic should work in VR.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oh hey, another OCULUS30 code. Is Beat Saber crossbuy, and is the Rift version as easy to mod as the Steam version?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Oh hey, another OCULUS30 code. Is Beat Saber crossbuy, and is the Rift version as easy to mod as the Steam version?

The app is not, but the music packs are.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I'm gonna pick up Pavlov because it looks great even though I still don't have my VR legs. How about Gorn? I have Blade and Sorcery already but I have a hard time with it - I get a bit lost in the arena mode and get my poo poo kicked in immediately in other modes. Is Gorn a bit easier? I'm also very curious about Into the Radius which bills itself as VR stalker but all the reviews mention it's difficulty

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Steam Game Awards rigged. I nominated Gorilla Tag as VR GOTY thinking it was an easy sweep, but it isn't even in the final list of nominees! How did freakin Sniper Elite VR and Blair Witch (66 mostly positive reviews) beat out Gorilla Tag? Two of the nominees have mixed reviews. Gorilla Tag's paid hat supporter DLC has over 4x as many positive reviews as Blair Witch VR!! I get that there wasn't a whole lot to come out in VR last year, but I feel like Gorilla Tag and Eye of the Temple should have been on there, despite not personally enjoying the latter.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

explosivo posted:

I played a couple rounds of golf last night and it's definitely a noticeable improvement. With all the time I spent figeting with the hmd in the past to get the blurriness to go away I was never able to get it perfect try as I might, and I could never tell if the lenses were smudged or scuffed or if that's just the resolution and it won't ever get better. It's now clear to me that blurriness was because of my hosed up eyes lol. I'm not blind without my glasses so it's a light prescription but it's a big improvement and I'm very happy.

How light a prescription are we talking? I wear glasses sometimes but the prescription is so small I didn't think it would affect the image

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Harry Privates posted:

Imma keep shilling for Echo Arena.

its a fun free game that is easy to play and hard to master. I play it for almost an hour a day 5x a week, until this week.

I punched the poo poo out of my hand and now my middle finger no longer properly bending like its buddies. Its very bruised and swollen but has not hampered my Walkabout game

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

Frog Act posted:

So I'm gonna pick up Pavlov because it looks great even though I still don't have my VR legs. How about Gorn? I have Blade and Sorcery already but I have a hard time with it - I get a bit lost in the arena mode and get my poo poo kicked in immediately in other modes. Is Gorn a bit easier? I'm also very curious about Into the Radius which bills itself as VR stalker but all the reviews mention it's difficulty

If you like gun touching and you haven't got H3VR yet, you are doing yourself a disservice

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Frog Act posted:

I 100% prefer gorn over blade and sorcery.

Its just "more fun" to me.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah, GORN was a super early title but it's still so much fun to just smack dudes around with the rubbery weapons.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bloodplay it again posted:

Steam Game Awards rigged. I nominated Gorilla Tag as VR GOTY thinking it was an easy sweep, but it isn't even in the final list of nominees! How did freakin Sniper Elite VR and Blair Witch (66 mostly positive reviews) beat out Gorilla Tag? Two of the nominees have mixed reviews. Gorilla Tag's paid hat supporter DLC has over 4x as many positive reviews as Blair Witch VR!! I get that there wasn't a whole lot to come out in VR last year, but I feel like Gorilla Tag and Eye of the Temple should have been on there, despite not personally enjoying the latter.

I'm not usually one for conspiracies but it really does seem a *little* odd

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i always felt like the steam awards were either rigged or just a bit editorialized, especially because every year there's a big push by the rimworld community to get it nominated for labor of love and i don't really remember it ever getting it (i could def be wrong)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Manager Hoyden posted:

How light a prescription are we talking? I wear glasses sometimes but the prescription is so small I didn't think it would affect the image

I have a light astigmatism, I have no idea how to explain it with more detail so I'll give you some numbers; R:0/-1.0/174, L:0/-0.75/5

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

explosivo posted:

I have a light astigmatism, I have no idea how to explain it with more detail so I'll give you some numbers; R:0/-1.0/174, L:0/-0.75/5

That's roughly my prescription too, it's surprising how much difference it makes to clarity even if you can get through life just fine without.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Bloodplay it again posted:

Demeo for example not only have much more positive than say, Sniper Elite Vr, but the total number of reviews is double than SE VR, indicating that is also more popular. Hell, Blair Witch only have 66 reviews that is pathetic (Surv1v3 has 1220 and again, more positive).

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah, GORN was a super early title but it's still so much fun to just smack dudes around with the rubbery weapons.

Its held up really well. I still fire it up these days. They've added some content over time. Its an easy rec for me.

Blade and sorc is more real or whatever but to me it dont spark "joy" or anything. Yeah its neat. I have it. I've stabbed dudes a bit. But its just less "Fun" if that makes any sense?

Mods are cool tho. SO that is a factor.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 23, 2021

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
My nieces and nephews want me to bring my headset during Christmas. What's a good game or two for a bunch for 8-10 year olds to take turns playing a few minutes at a time? In the past, Richie's and Beat Saber were hits, Work Simulator and Vader Immortal were busts. Gorilla Tag could be fun if I could make absolutely sure chat was disabled....

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The Walrus posted:

LLSix lemme know if there's any songs you want me to do I need some motivation to get back in

I'm embarrassed to admit it took me a week to remember songs I like. I should play more often too. I don't expect you to do all, or even any of these if you don't want to, but I wanted to give you some options.

By all means, please find other videos of these, they're just the first ones that popped up when I searched.
Na Na Na is fun and high energy.
My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light Em Up) has a great start that gets me pumped.
Immortals used to be part of my workout mix before VR. Haven't really listened to it much since.

For something completely different
Instrumental only music is not something I usually enjoy, but Lindsey Stirling makes very cool music videos that sound amazing.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 23, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Professor Wayne posted:

My nieces and nephews want me to bring my headset during Christmas. What's a good game or two for a bunch for 8-10 year olds to take turns playing a few minutes at a time? In the past, Richie's and Beat Saber were hits, Work Simulator and Vader Immortal were busts. Gorilla Tag could be fun if I could make absolutely sure chat was disabled....

I’ve had good experience with newbies and Ultrawings. The sensation of flying a plane is really fun for people and it’s arcadey enough that most anyone can take off and fly

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
So my tundra trackers (7x kit) finally showed up.

Charge ports. Feel cheap as poo poo. Already ordered magnetic cables. gently caress trusting those nope.

They power on when plugged in. Talk about annoying with 7 trackers. Guess the routine will be "plug them in then power them off" instead of just letting steamvr do it all and plug em in later. Annoying. This also fires up steamvr if you leave your headset plugged in. Fun. Thankfully I'm using my index as my dongle holder so i unplug the headset after each use but wow annoying.

The whole "is it charged/charging" thing. Red/Orange or w/e is a dual use. So low battery "and" charging. I only figured this out after not being sure if the things were powered off or not. Not a huge deal but I couldn't find any docs on "charging lights" at all. Apparently purple = charged.

Plastics a bit cheap, but i expected that at the price.

Ok the good.

They are loving TINY. 3 are basically the size of 1 2.0. No I'm not exaggerating. Yes technically 3 take up more space, but really side by side its that massive of a change. This also means SUPER light weight. So hard kicks and things wont wobble around when doing poo poo like rezzil or whatever.

They natively have a place to run a strap. This is killer. I can just lace 2 into some shoes and be done with it. They come with pretty nice mounting plates. Packaging was good. Straps and cables for everything.

Honestly so far I'm not unhappy at the price point. The charge ports are kind of a big deal and hopefully if they fail tundra is cool about it. But I use mag poo poo on everything else anyways so I'll just eliminate that variable now. The auto power on thing is SUPER annoying though. I have a feeling I'm going to bitch about it all the time.

EDIT: And I have one that wont power off. Awesome. This whole things been a silly mess.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 23, 2021

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Professor Wayne posted:

As VR Dad and VR uncle, I have some experience here.
Beatsaber is a perennial hit for us too. Space Pirate Trainer gets a lot of airtime as well.
Acron:Attack of the Squirrels is a laugh riot.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Does anybody know if the DLC being offered in the Ultimate Fishing Simulator bundle on Humble Bundle right now are for the VR version? Because they have the flat version, the VR "DLC" which they say is multiplayer-incompatible with the standalone VR version, and then some DLC.

There also is no VR "DLC" on Steam. It's just the flatscreen-only version and then the standalone VR version. Then identical DLC for both versions. I have the VR version already sooo... yeah, I dunno. That bundle's a bargain for all the add-ons, but not if I can't use them in VR.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

What are some games that give a decent workout without being specifically fitness games? I have beat saber and pistol whip and bounced off of supernatural.

Edit: I have a quest 2.

Tagichatn fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 23, 2021

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Until You Fall

And, curiously, to a minor degree: Super Hot. I think it tricks you into holding stress poses while you figure yourself out.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'd class Synth Riders as a light workout, it's not too strenuous but after a few expert or master level songs you'll be breaking into a light sweat.

Blaston isn't technically a fitness app, but it's very much a sport, and at higher levels you're going to be competing with some limber little fuckers who will give you a serious run for your money.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tagichatn posted:

What are some games that give a decent workout without being specifically fitness games? I have beat saber and pistol whip and bounced off of supernatural.

Thrill of the Fight bar none. Game will wreck you.

Blaston is another one if you're okay with 1v1 PvP. A lot of fun but holy poo poo it's exhausting.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 23, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, after bouncing off Saints and Sinners and going "zombie games just arent my thing" I went and bought Resident Evil 4 with the Oculus30 code. Hopefully its better

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Tagichatn posted:

To add to the ones mentioned earlier there's HoloBall if you fancy a mix of pong and squash.

Very active especially on the harder difficulties, probably the most strenuous VR racket game I played.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Does the Steam VR overlay make anyone else stutter like mad?

I avoid it at all costs because it practically locks up the system for about a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Do you have to have to have the oculus30 code mailed to you or is it just for anything on the Oculus store?