Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the correct way to create a task from an email is to reply to the email with the message "please open a ticket for this" . then a ticket will automatically be generated if the issue is important enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Well for one thing I'm not quite crazy enough to use a ticket system for my personal email, not would responding to myself be likely to get a ticket opened

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol i didnt consider task creation for personal email

mystes
May 31, 2006

I like that you can apparently now use Teams for personal use like some sort of skype replacement, as if that is something anyone in their right mind would want to do.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

hi we're still on HCL Notes and you outlook complainers can all go to hell thanks

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i think outlook may be so bad these days that notes, which hasnt changed in 20 years, may now be a better for email.

exchange is infinitely better than domino tho, that ones still not even close.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if you think windows outlook is bad the mac client is even worse, like it constantly pops up reminders for old meetings or fails silently it's great

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the windows client does the reminders for old meetings too. thats almost certainly the favorite feature of some boomer product owner at microsoft who thinks its critical that you know you missed a meeting while you were out last week.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

the windows client does the reminders for old meetings too. thats almost certainly the favorite feature of some boomer product owner at microsoft who thinks its critical that you know you missed a meeting while you were out last week.

no this will, if a meeting in a series is canceled, pop up a reminder for last week's occurrence at the time this week's would have happened

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's been that way for at least 2 years they obviously have no interest in fixing it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they cant get images and text to work reliably in teams, a piece of software that handles text and images almost exclusively. i dont think the office client team cares about anything

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

Yeah I don't know why anyone would want that.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i could maybe see caring that i missed a meeting that started 10 minutes ago, but thats about it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

i could maybe see caring that i missed a meeting that started 10 minutes ago, but thats about it.
They should just stuff the old meeting notifications in the daily briefing/myanalytics emails and then burn them

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Zam Wesell posted:

outlook search is SO FUCKIN BAD

god drat i hate computers

yet bing is alright and Microsoft has that cognitive search thing in azure. they could fix it easily

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Zam Wesell posted:

outlook search is SO FUCKIN BAD

god drat i hate computers

they updated something and now it defaults to searching the cloud before local storage and it has failed every single time and i have to click the link

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Shaggar posted:

i think outlook may be so bad these days that notes, which hasnt changed in 20 years, may now be a better for email.

exchange is infinitely better than domino tho, that ones still not even close.

yesterday i was locked out of my email for a little while because a server-side log file filled up, which causes a constant error dialog in the client when trying to do anything. they had to do manual maintenance on the server to clear it out.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I just use the web-browser instead of the client when I need to search. The outlook client search is a grab bag. Sometimes it works perfectly, but maybe it will crash instead. Exciting!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

just been trying out WSLg on Win11 and it's neat as heck. ofc i can't think of any linux GUI apps that i actually want to run sooooooo

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Pile Of Garbage posted:

just been trying out WSLg on Win11 and it's neat as heck. ofc i can't think of any linux GUI apps that i actually want to run sooooooo

most importantly makes it less maddening to do cuda on windows

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

oh neat

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

qirex posted:

no this will, if a meeting in a series is canceled, pop up a reminder for last week's occurrence at the time this week's would have happened

pretty sure this happened to me on Windows this week

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

carry on then posted:

yesterday i was locked out of my email for a little while because a server-side log file filled up, which causes a constant error dialog in the client when trying to do anything. they had to do manual maintenance on the server to clear it out.

lol yeah. notes databases are a minefield of maintenance requirements that vary wildly based on how the server is configured, how the db is configured, and how the db has been managed.

transaction logging has multiple modes, 1 of which requires external backup software to manage. if you're using the one that requires backup software and the backup software isnt running and/or isnt working properly you can end up with a huge number of transaction logs that havent been archived and it makes the db slower and slower the longer it goes without being backed up properly. they could probably fix it with a copy compact which basically creates a new copy of the database and compacts everything which includes truncating all the logs. this new copy also needs to be backed up properly cause its technically a brand new database unrelated to your old db.

i do not miss that poo poo one bit.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is this the mcdonald’s thread

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

is this the mcdonald’s thread

i had a big mac recently for the first time in a while. it was pretty good.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i havent had mcdonalds in a while but i could go for a big mac or a mc chicken

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I can’t remember the last time I didn’t have mcdonald’s

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

my absolute favorite outlook thing is when i look at a folder and at the bottom its like click here to view more on microsoft exchange

isnt the whole point of an email client to show me the mail on the server? why are you telling me this just move the loving mail to the trash like i did on the client thats your only job

if you click it all of the poo poo youve done for the last ten minutes is undone if you dont click it i guess the server and client just disagree about where mail is idk idc

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

can you take that poo poo to the outlook thread? were talking about big macs

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fart simpson posted:

sorry

where i am the quality of big macs over the last year has fallen precipitously in perfect lockstep with people abandoning low wage jobs so while i support the workers it does seem like im going to have to stop eating garbage

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

i had a big mac recently for the first time in a while. it was pretty good.
This is the microsoft thread, not the apple thread.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shaggar posted:

new start menu/task bar is the primary reason i havent bothered upgrading. its so dumb
they should have and should always have had win2k look and feel as an option in every windows version

mystes
May 31, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

they should have and should always have had win2k look and feel as an option in every windows version
This but hot dog stand

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

atm in nz they’re having a big mac promotion and you can get a small mac which is like half a mac and also a grand mac which is basically mac but as wide as a quarter pounder

they should definitely make a quarter pounder mac

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

atm in nz they’re having a big mac promotion and you can get a small mac which is like half a mac and also a grand mac which is basically mac but as wide as a quarter pounder

they should definitely make a quarter pounder mac

:prepop:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

echinopsis posted:

this comes and goes in the states too. idk why it's a limited time thing. the small mac is great and can actually maintain structural integrity throughout the eating session

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

this comes and goes in the states too. idk why it's a limited time thing. the small mac is great and can actually maintain structural integrity throughout the eating session

You have to eat the Mac in layers. That's what the middle bun is for

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

causing global chaos this holiday season by revealing my orthogonal burger eating technique on christmas eve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

jesus WEP posted:

can we stop having this nostalgia take every 3 posts. thanks