Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
This ain’t it but it’s a pretty good read anyways

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/14/magazine/quarantine-mustache.html?referringSource=articleShare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I wanted to watch The Hound of the Baskervilles with Peter Cushing, but the version on Amazon Prime seems filmed on video and has TV movie production. I’d chalk it up to a weird Prime labeling thing but it looks like Cushing is also in this version?

Was he in two versions of this? Or is that the real movie really this cheap-looking? Maybe I was expecting too much but most Hammer stuff usually looks pretty good

Cushing is still great though

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Yes, he was in two versions. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052905/ and https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0394887/

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Well I wish I hadn’t paid $2 for this now

Thanks

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
What are some unscripted movies (or movies with scripts that were basically ignored) that aren't already on this list?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

What are some unscripted movies (or movies with scripts that were basically ignored) that aren't already on this list?

The Psychedelic Priest aka Electric Shades of Grey

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 11, 2021

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

A lot of Altman and Cassavetes movies

Edit: actually “unscripted” probably isn’t accurate for those

morestuff fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 11, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

A good chunk of mumblecore films, most of Christopher Guest's movies.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Iron Man, apparently

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

FilthyImp posted:

Iron Man, apparently
Already on the list!

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Inland Empire most of the scenes were made up on the day of. Terence Malick's movies from the last decade are usually scripted so he can get funding but he almost always jettisons them before actually filming.

e: Oh and Soderbergh's recent movie, Let Them All Talk. It's a bit more complex because they had an outline with scripted sections, had the cast improv in rehearsal, and turned that into the script.

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 11, 2021

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FilthyImp posted:

Iron Man, apparently

The degree to which Iron Man was unscripted and improvised is hugely overblown to the point of being an urban legend, and it's almost entirely drawn from one line from one interview with Jeff Bridges. There was a script, it's not difficult to find online, and much of it is reflected in the finished product. Yes, there was some improvisation happening (which is normal for any Favreau movie), but the writers were on-set throughout shooting and Shane Black was regularly faxing new pages to the production, as well. People act like it was a Christopher Guest production, where the actors are told what the intended result of the scene is and are given any dialogue that absolutely has to be conveyed, and then they're just told to riff on their own, when that simply wasn't the case with Iron Man.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Timby posted:

The degree to which Iron Man was unscripted and improvised is hugely overblown to the point of being an urban legend, and it's almost entirely drawn from one line from one interview with Jeff Bridges. There was a script, it's not difficult to find online, and much of it is reflected in the finished product. Yes, there was some improvisation happening (which is normal for any Favreau movie), but the writers were on-set throughout shooting and Shane Black was regularly faxing new pages to the production, as well. People act like it was a Christopher Guest production, where the actors are told what the intended result of the scene is and are given any dialogue that absolutely has to be conveyed, and then they're just told to riff on their own, when that simply wasn't the case with Iron Man.

Any film which is that VFX-intensive is also going to be very tightly and rigidly planned. Maybe there’s some messing around with dialogue but action, blocking, camera angles and movements etc will have been thoroughly planned and locked.

PS hi Timby!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Don's Plum

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Indeed, where's the big 3?

Waiting For Guffman
Best In Show
A Mighty Wind

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Blair Witch Project, too...

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I think in the classic Romero Dead movies most of the zombie dialogue was improvised.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 15, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
In Promising Young Woman, was there any significance to red tally marks vs blue ones in her notebook? We see her use the blue pen for tallies after a couple of the outings that we see, but we see a number of red marks that are seemingly randomly dispersed though past counts. I thought those were going to signify a different kind of encounter/outcome that we’d see later, but it’s never paid off as far as I can tell.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This more a painting question than a film question, but the painting in Thomas Crowne Affair would be severely damaged by his briefcase contraption, right? Or can some eras of paintings take that kind of bending without cracking the paint or damaging the canvas?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

fwiw i roll up the paintings i steal, then shove the tube down my pants like a stiff leg

ever tried stealing a pool cue by walking it out? you can definitely do it with a classical painting. easier if you know a guy who can make distracting noise, but its not required

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

ever tried stealing a pool cue by walking it out?

Who hasn't :confused:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I was watching Holy Motors on Tubi but turned it off halfway through because they blurred out the nudity.

Anyone know if the region 1 DVD is censored as well?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zogo posted:

I was watching Holy Motors on Tubi but turned it off halfway through because they blurred out the nudity.

Anyone know if the region 1 DVD is censored as well?

I was about to say it isn't, but realized I was thinking of Holy Mountain.

It probably isn't if the version released in theater wasn't.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yeah, it appears the BD is uncensored so the DVD probably is as well.

Either way it's a strange situation as I haven't seen something like this in a long time. Probably when many of the characters in Showgirls had clothing rotoscoped on. But that was on regular cable and not streaming.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zogo posted:

Yeah, it appears the BD is uncensored so the DVD probably is as well.

Either way it's a strange situation as I haven't seen something like this in a long time. Probably when many of the characters in Showgirls had clothing rotoscoped on. But that was on regular cable and not streaming.

TUBI probably just has the tv version for some weird reason.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tubi is weird with its censoring. They don't give two hoots about language (e.g., Kitchen Nightmares is up there completely uncut), but nudity and even some swimsuits get blurred.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I watched Independence Day Resurgence on a plane once and I swear to God the explosions were edited out.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

feedmyleg posted:

This more a painting question than a film question, but the painting in Thomas Crowne Affair would be severely damaged by his briefcase contraption, right? Or can some eras of paintings take that kind of bending without cracking the paint or damaging the canvas?

it would definitely damage it but probably wouldnt totally destroy it. the painting is only a hundred years old, not ancient, so it has SOME flexibility. also monet painted pretty thin, which is better when folding than lots of layers (i think). they should have folded it the other way, though (so the paint stretches rather than compresses) but that would have looked worse on the film.
having said that, the canvas was still attached to the stretchers which would have been snapped when the briefcase folded, so that would which would have likely torn the canvas and also meant that it creased rather than folding gently.
i'd say its nothing that couldnt be restored, but obviously its not great for it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

General Dog posted:

In Promising Young Woman, was there any significance to red tally marks vs blue ones in her notebook? We see her use the blue pen for tallies after a couple of the outings that we see, but we see a number of red marks that are seemingly randomly dispersed though past counts. I thought those were going to signify a different kind of encounter/outcome that we’d see later, but it’s never paid off as far as I can tell.

Yeah that was my guess too: creeps vs full on date rapists.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Just found out that John Ford's older brother was named Francis Ford.

Is Coppola named after John Ford's brother or is it an odd coincidence?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
It's a coincidence. Coppola is named after Henry Ford, who his father was friends with.

Interestingly though, Francis Ford was a pretty good silent film director (he transitioned fully to acting after sound) and was an enormous influence on John Ford. Like, the famous ending shot in The Searchers was swiped from Francis Ford's The Power God.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Who's nic cage named after

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

Who's nic cage named after

Luke Cage

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that actually makes sense

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
In the movie the terminator, during the car chase the terminator crashes into the wall chasing Kyle Reese and Sarah Conner. Why does the terminator decide to run away when the police show up when they cant not stop him from killing Sarah Conner?

It's free on youtube if you want to help solve this with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7_qI6_mIXc&t=2952s

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tenzarin posted:

In the movie the terminator, during the car chase the terminator crashes into the wall chasing Kyle Reese and Sarah Conner. Why does the terminator decide to run away when the police show up when they cant not stop him from killing Sarah Conner?

It's free on youtube if you want to help solve this with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7_qI6_mIXc&t=2952s
Timestamp would help.

But it's probably because the murderbot AI decided a citywide manhunt would hinder his ability to find Sarah.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

T-800s are infiltration units. It didn't have its full arsenal at the time and had just been damaged. I'm also not sure if it fully understands that 1980s weapons can't damage it, it probably seemed unwise to risk its precious mission on an all-out battle at that point.

You could argue that the police station assault shows the opposite but at that point he has gotten extra guns, repaired himself, and at least formulated a rough plan of attack.

But also because slasher movies always need downtime even when the bad guy "never stops".

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s damaged in the crash. The scene immediately following is it going back to its hotel to cut out the damaged eye and readjust its arm gearing.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
In the movie The Matrix, why don't the robots just clean up the sky and get solar power back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think one of the implications of them seeing the sky is that yeah the machines aren’t really dependent on the humans- sun’s still there you just have to build up. The Matrix is a prison first and a power source second.