Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

UnknownTarget posted:

I finally just uninstalled it. Idk what it is but I'm getting owned constantly and the lack of a scoreboard means I'm left feeling like I suck after every match. Portal is cool but too few maps, the main game is really fun at times but mostly feels like a grind sesh where I'm just meat. Plus I've hit two helos with the tank cannon and both times they put the explosion but didn't even count damage, which is just showing me the netcode isn't up to snuff. Ive gone back to BF4 for my 1 hour shoot man sesh, but I hope Dice can fix 2042 or at least spin off portal.

This you? Lol

https://streamable.com/l/g71dlw/mp4.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

jisforjosh posted:

This you? Lol

Hah! That's basically what it felt like, but it was two little birds in two separate matches. xD

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I've seen a clip of someone placing c5 directly on an enemy tank, blowing it up and getting no damage.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Skyarb posted:

Careful, wanting a scoreboard in your shootman's fighting words 'round these parts.

Scoreboards lead to toxicity. But then the server admins could just kick those...oh.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It really loving sucks and is a big part of why I've shifted back to 40mm on the Wildcat, you get hosed way less on getting nothing but sparks with a 57mm due to the higher ROF. It's even worse with actual jets.

Same reason I can't really appreciate shotguns in this game, whereas an LMG can keep putting bullets downrange.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Chronojam posted:

It really loving sucks and is a big part of why I've shifted back to 40mm on the Wildcat, you get hosed way less on getting nothing but sparks with a 57mm due to the higher ROF. It's even worse with actual jets.

Same reason I can't really appreciate shotguns in this game, whereas an LMG can keep putting bullets downrange.

I'm sorry but this is a hilarious sentiment to me. Its absolutely correct given the current state of the game but goddamn :dice:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Been having a lot of fun running around with the ac42 with a heavy suppressor and subsonic ammo for super stealth.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Chronojam posted:

Auto shotty with the drum mag is incredible. Don't have to worry too much about hitreg when you can spam shots.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pharmaskittle posted:

Every single challenge should have an objective that's just revive teammates, to train these subhumans how to play the game

It was funny as gently caress watching five dudes sprint to every downed teammate in a rush to revive them first

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Been having quite a lot of success with cheesing Angel's resupply crate to nuke aircraft consistently - Spawn as angel with squad beacon, find a good vantage point with cover, pop down beacon and supply crate and then redeploy on the beacon as Rao with SOFLAM. Have a loadout with a beacon so you can replace it once you redeploy. Wait til vehicles get well within range (most chopper pilots will flare and bug out as soon as they start getting hacked/locked), then hack and SOFLAM lock them so they can't flare, use the crate to switch to an M5, and enjoy your incredibly easy aircraft kills. I spent most of yesterday just doing this and I was pretty much singlehandedly fending off the enemy team's aircraft. In between chopper murder I'll spot soldiers with the SOFLAM, hack the closer ones and snipe them with the DXR and reap the sweet sweet spotting and assist xp.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Did they ever actually add aim assist for consoles?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

steam reviews show mixed for recent and mostly negative for all reviews

...how bad is it now?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

oh god

can't switch squads, can't choose squad mates

I started at page 300 and i'm only at 303 and this is not looking good

gonna download bfbc2 and hop on mumble

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

just saw a hovercraft scale a vertical building

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
GOTY

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Hadlock posted:

Dang you're lucky I've put 70 hours in and haven't gotten one of those

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Hadlock posted:

oh god

can't switch squads, can't choose squad mates

I started at page 300 and i'm only at 303 and this is not looking good

gonna download bfbc2 and hop on mumble

if bfbc2 had 2042's movement I would just play it instead. I can not get back into bc2's movement though, ugh

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Hadlock posted:

can't switch squads

You can! You can leave your squad if you find yourself in the statless/scoreless players list, select your name, and press a specific keybind.

It'll move you into a completely random squad, but it exists, so consider that Jira ticket closed!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I wish they’d move the points back to the top of the skyscrapers

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Hadlock posted:

steam reviews show mixed for recent and mostly negative for all reviews

...how bad is it now?

I uninstalled after 40 hours but ymmv

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
The fundamental big issues most people had with the game haven't been addressed, so if any of those things were dealbreakers before, they're still dealbreakers now. The only real significant changes are they unfucked recoil and spread, tweaked some of the maps a bit, added in rush and 64 player modes (possibly temporary which would be completely idiotic, but DICE) and sped up the transitions between matches. Alongside a bunch of bugfixes, but that should be expected. I still play and I still have fun, but that's only because I really enjoy battlefield-style games and have a pretty high tolerance for DICE's bullshit. This was pretty borderline though, if they didn't add the 64 player modes and rush I would have stopped playing, because 128 players is a stupid dumb clusterfuck that wrecks my PC. Also, because most of the hardcore vets seem to have left, the population that remains is mostly console players and more casual pc players. Consequently, the average level of skill is lower than you'd expect, and as a result you can go on some incredibly fun rampages.

edit: If you really want to give it a try but want to spend as little as humanly possible, get the xbox pc game pass as it's currently $1 for 3 months access, and it comes with an EA Play pass too for free, which will let you try up to 10 hours of 2042. Can't think of a cheaper way to try it out.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 24, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
game is in a bizarre place because on the one hand, a lot is still weirdly designed or not working right, but also they're fairly responsive with the patches and new game modes and stuff. Yet the overall feeling that the game was very rushed remains.

Best example is that they implemented a rush mode quite quickly after people started requesting it. however the mode they added was clearly not very well tested, was just directly copy and pasted onto existing map objectives and had a ton of issues with how it played (eg it was spawning defenders and attackers in such a way that attackers were actually getting to points before the defenders could even get there, to say nothing of get set up) and other just baffling stuff that completely undermined the potential of the game mode.

personally i have fun with it for a couple sessions of ~2 hours a week and one of the performance patches got everything running a lot smoother, but something about the game just does not make me want to binge it.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

but something about the game just does not make me want to binge it.

This was/is me. I know I like/enjoy/love a multiplayer game when I quit the game and find myself shortly thereafter wanting to boot up the game again to play another round. BF 2042 ended too many times in "yeah I'm done for the night" after only a round or two.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm just so so so impressed that dice takes a fully functional game engine with all the bugs worked out after a year of fixing every last bug, and in two years just absolutely loving wrecks it with the next release. Not one time, but consistently, over and over and over

About once a quarter a get a ping from an EA recruiter, and I'm just like, lmao absolutely gently caress no

I already work for a relatively sedate software Corp, externally sedate, and it's absolute pandemonium behind the scenes. EA must be setting people on literal fire every day at their offices for such a poo poo product to go out the door publicly. It's like Trump is the CEO of EA. Goddamn tire fire.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Hadlock posted:

Sadly they patched that out

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I think there is still at least one place were you can do it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hot Diggity! posted:

Same (though maybe not 70 hours; I'm rank...68 I think?). My friend and I spent a while trying to do this and assumed it had been patched out since we couldn't pull it off.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Hadlock posted:

I'm just so so so impressed that dice takes a fully functional game engine with all the bugs worked out after a year of fixing every last bug, and in two years just absolutely loving wrecks it with the next release. Not one time, but consistently, over and over and over

About once a quarter a get a ping from an EA recruiter, and I'm just like, lmao absolutely gently caress no

I already work for a relatively sedate software Corp, externally sedate, and it's absolute pandemonium behind the scenes. EA must be setting people on literal fire every day at their offices for such a poo poo product to go out the door publicly. It's like Trump is the CEO of EA. Goddamn tire fire.

fully functional engine is an incredibly charitable description of frostbite, as far as I've ever heard it's a nightmare of an engine to work on which is compounded by many of the people who actually knew the most about working with it having left at various points over the last decade

that said, yeah it is an ostensibly established engine that there really should be plenty of in-house knowledge and documentation to wrangle into something workable.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

fully functional engine is an incredibly charitable description of frostbite, as far as I've ever heard it's a nightmare of an engine to work on which is compounded by many of the people who actually knew the most about working with it having left at various points over the last decade

that said, yeah it is an ostensibly established engine that there really should be plenty of in-house knowledge and documentation to wrangle into something workable.

Battlefield V, for all its warts, was in a really great state at the end of its life. To take that, which was pretty great in terms of engine and feel, and create the complete gently caress up that is 2042 is stupendously impressive.

BFV had great movement mechanics, and they threw all of it out the window and 2042 plays like poo poo. No one has any weight or momentum, everything feels so glidey and quake-ey.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
The vehicle physics are truly bizzare, it's like gravity barely exists but also every vehicle has negative thrust facing downward from the model. It's the only reason I can explain the incredibly wonky mid-air antigravity barrelrolls you can get into with the right angle and speed, and how hovercraft were able to climb vertical surfaces.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 24, 2021

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

It's 13 years old now, Its probably time they throw it out and started fresh because from the sounds of things its drowning in technical debt.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Dec 24, 2021

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
The biggest tissue for me is not gameplay related. It's the multilayer implementation.

We sometimes had up to 12 euro goons playing one of the other Battlefields together on a given evening. This is why I bought these games.

But 2042? Multilayer functionality is criminally bad. You can have 4 people in a "social party" which is your squad then and the only way to play together. You can't switch squads, so you theoretically only can leave your squad and party and then invite other people into a new party and squad and you then have 7 people in the same game. But you also get kicked off the current server after every round. So you'd have to do it again on the next map. It is a huge hassle and doesn't work because the servers fill up and then people just hang in the queue.

So if you have more than 3 friends you want to play this game with, stay away for now. There is a rumor they want to raise the party size to 8,which might help a bit, but the current thing is dead on arrival for any bigger groups or clans unless you play custom portal modes I guess.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Dec 24, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Technology cycles are getting longer

The next round of engines will probably have a lifespan measured in decades. CPUs and GPUs will continue to improve but I doubt games will get much more realistic than today. BF2142 already looks like a skin/map pack for BF3

There's not really any incentive to write a new engine, bf3 and thus frostbite can already do all the battlefield things required, and there's no incentive to get more photorealistic

I'm just stunned that all the tweakable things, aren't just in a config file

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Hot Diggity! posted:

I haven't seen it yet but I have watched one RAMP IT from a skyscraper on Kaleidoscope and it was wonderful

Skyarb posted:

Battlefield V, for all its warts, was in a really great state at the end of its life

I don't know if being an un-fun pile of poo poo with a bunch of nonsense hidden behind Battlefield funbux is "great" but you do you

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Since halo is not working, played some of this last night. Lots of the game are hosed, but taking breakthrough points in a 128 player game is kinda unreal sometimes.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Mega Comrade posted:

Sadly they patched that out

I don't think they did...

They just nerfed the hovercraft weapons and armor and removed the capture points from the roofs of buildings, so there's no real incentive to do it anymore. Most people who have played the game a bit will run the Bolte instead.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
They certainly didn't. I drove a hovercraft up a skyscraper in hourglass breakthrough yesterday to set up a spawn beacon.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I haven't seen it yet but I have watched one RAMP IT from a skyscraper on Kaleidoscope and it was wonderful

I don't know if being an un-fun pile of poo poo with a bunch of nonsense hidden behind Battlefield funbux is "great" but you do you

Only skins were hidden behind the battle funbux weren't they?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Mega Comrade posted:

Only skins were hidden behind the battle funbux weren't they?

Pretty much. There might be weapon or vehicle shortcuts, but all the funbucks stuff in BFV is easily ignorable and hardly has any effect on the gameplay

My biggest issue with BFV are the terrible launch maps. Cant really patch those away, but the new maps they added were pretty good so its not too bad overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Hadlock posted:

Technology cycles are getting longer

The next round of engines will probably have a lifespan measured in decades. CPUs and GPUs will continue to improve but I doubt games will get much more realistic than today. BF2142 already looks like a skin/map pack for BF3

There's not really any incentive to write a new engine, bf3 and thus frostbite can already do all the battlefield things required, and there's no incentive to get more photorealistic

I'm just stunned that all the tweakable things, aren't just in a config file

Your exact post would not be out of place in 2002. Battlefield 2042 looks like poo poo for a 2021 AAA game which might be why you think we've reached so peak in visuals.