Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm having the kids wat h Gremlins now that it's back on HBO Max. The 3 year old is loving it.

Man, as a kid I never realized how amazingly fun the cinematography was. Lots of shadows, funky colors, shadows, angles. It's a loving feast.

E: I mean, the use of reds and greens alone, subverting the holiday colors as shorthand for Creepy poo poo Happening!

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
It's a fantastic movie. My daughter loved it from about 3 as well. It defined her love for all things scary. And then, at 7, some switch has flipped and she hates scary stuff. We had a good run at least.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I know HUNDU will like this, Mondo Movie's coming back.

https://twitter.com/mondomovieshow/status/1474023500075651074

This would be the second time, they tried once but I believe both guys had very young kids then and it just wasn't happening.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The Card Counter is very good and Oscar Isaac is fantastic. The film stands or falls by his performance and he delivers.

Petite Maman is still my favourite though.

I thought The Souvenir Pt II was self-indulgent. (I liked the first one).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

therattle posted:

You're doing this all wrong. Having been given numerous examples of why your argument is incorrect the right procedure is to double down and insist that you are still right. N00b!

Doubling down on my incorrect argument would take up valuable posts that could be used for talking about how awesome Rebecca Hall is!

Did anybody else watch Transcendence? What a boring stupid piece of trash. Johnny Depp sucks. But give Rebecca Hall credit, she tried her best in that movie because she is a trooper.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

therattle posted:

The Card Counter is very good and Oscar Isaac is fantastic. The film stands or falls by his performance and he delivers.

Someone walked out of my showing of Card Counter during the first torture flashback scene and didn't come back. I don't know if it was because they expected a fun movie about card counting which it very much IS NOT or because it was 9/11 and are troops

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Just more proof that every single sweeping generalization is wrong.

This is the worst take

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I think I'm going to make a concerted effort to rebuild my attention span. Starting with watching increasingly long movies without looking at my phone or playing Fortnite on my Switch at the same time.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Gripweed posted:

I think I'm going to make a concerted effort to rebuild my attention span. Starting with watching increasingly long movies without looking at my phone or playing Fortnite on my Switch at the same time.

Start with Marvel movies and then you'll have unlimited time to play Fortnite because you'll never enjoy movies again.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Gripweed posted:

You have just over a week to come up with a detailed 365 day plan to fully expand your attention span over the course of the year 2022. I want you to keep us updated on your plan and your progress throughout the year. I believe the goal should be that on 12/31/22 you watch Andy Warhol's Empire straight through without once blinking or moving any of your muscles (obviously you will have an attendant to feed you an electrolyte solution intravenously, moisten your eyeballs, and make sure your catheter is functioning normally)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CPL593H posted:

Start with Marvel movies and then you'll have unlimited time to play Fortnite because you'll never enjoy movies again.

I've enjoyed almost all the Marvel movies I've seen.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Looten Plunder posted:

This is the worst take

Everyone who absolutely categorically rejects things is just the worst person who ever was and I don't want to hear them

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Whenever I really want to focus on a movie I make sure my phone is across the room or something. Becomes less appealing to check my phone when I have to walk across the room to grab it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I’m interested in trying out watching movies in VR, no ability to check my phone, plus a nice big screen!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
As long as I’m not in a cyclic depression and actually feel like watching a movie, I haven’t had an attention span issue in years. I used to be unable to watch an episode of King of the Hill without pausing to look at my phone about 10 years ago.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This would be the second time, they tried once but I believe both guys had very young kids then and it just wasn't happening.

Yeah, that was Streampunk. You tipped me off to that, and I really liked it while it ran. I hope this version stays around longer.

Everyone who absolutely categorically rejects things is just the worst person who ever was and I don't want to hear them

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

X-Ray Pecs posted:

As long as I’m not in a cyclic depression and actually feel like watching a movie, I haven’t had an attention span issue in years. I used to be unable to watch an episode of King of the Hill without pausing to look at my phone about 10 years ago.

What the heck were you looking at on your phone ten years ago? IRC?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Gopher

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

oh no I can't pay attention got Clash of Titans because I keep checking Minitel on my phone.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Coffee And Pie posted:

I’m interested in trying out watching movies in VR, no ability to check my phone, plus a nice big screen!

How does that work? Is it like a screen projected right at your eyeballs or can you look around

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I believe both are possible. I’ve seen virtual cinema screens in VR but also you could just like open Netflix or whatever with a PSVR on or something like that

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Someone walked out of my showing of Card Counter during the first torture flashback scene and didn't come back. I don't know if it was because they expected a fun movie about card counting which it very much IS NOT or because it was 9/11 and are troops

Those scenes are loving intense

Phones have definitely decreased my attention span.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

I've enjoyed almost all the Marvel movies I've seen.

Me too, it's just Marvel movies are to cinema as Dorito's Cool Ranch chips are to food. I loving love Dorito's Cool Ranch chips, but if that's the only food available we all die.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Huh, I figured they just used the guns

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gripweed posted:

Smartphones were a thing in 2011. Remember, the iPhone was 2007.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Gripweed posted:

The little app that let you rack your iphone like a shotgun

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Timby posted:

Smartphones were a thing in 2011. Remember, the iPhone was 2007.

I love to be distracted from the Prince of Persia movie because I'm reading previews for Star Wars The Old Republic on my second gen iPhone.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Did anybody else watch Transcendence? What a boring stupid piece of trash. Johnny Depp sucks. But give Rebecca Hall credit, she tried her best in that movie because she is a trooper.
Yeah what was the last movie with Johnny Depp in it that didn't suck rear end?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Rebecca Hall and Judy Greer are in the same boat of actors who I really, really like but who are mostly just doing great work in bad roles, and often in bad movies.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gripweed posted:

I love to be distracted from the Prince of Persia movie because I'm reading previews for Star Wars The Old Republic on my second gen iPhone.

This seems like a very odd hill to die on. (Hell, the iPhone 3GS was 2009.) It's far from an absurd claim to say that in 2011, people were distracted by being on their phones.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I had a 3GS and I used to play the poo poo out of mobile games that just involved watching timers and tapping on buttons. Those were very multi-task friendly.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I didn't have a smartphone until like 2015.

And I was a really late comer.

I knew a lot of people who had smartphones years before that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

proletariando posted:

City of Lies

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

proletariando posted:

Waiting for the Barbarians was pretty good.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Gripweed posted:

Ten years ago was 2011, I was actively on Twitter around that time.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The Awful app was released in November of 2012.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gleðileg jól, msnnfjsndar

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I remember going to a goon thing in 2006 and some guy was really hype about browsing the forums on his blackberry.

I also remember making fun of people wanting cell phones with full color screens.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Gleðileg jól, msnnfjsndar

Gesundheit.

Also, frohe Weihnachten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted: