Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I just started watching before the 90 day fiancee and this is just the best content. I feel like I'm watching train wrecks in slow motion, with the conductor very easily able to stop it, but they're just so depressed.

Also, I should make an Amazing Race 33 thread. This season will blow its gonna be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hulu has the new season of Demon Slayer but for some reason they've started to break the arcs into different listings.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

there's no Xena type thread is there? just want to laugh that Xena was identifying horse v centaur via the pressure they put on their steps, but the amazon she was with picked up a horse turd and was like "oh wow yeah centaurs don't eat hay and this poop is full of it." lol at the show's joke but also at the implication that centaurs still just poo poo wherever they happen to be in the moment, even if on a little murder mission or scouting excusion

Xena rules. Make a thread. Might finally convince me to finish watching it/ Hercules.

A version of that centaur joke got repeated on The Magicians, except for bonus points the centaur was a surgeon.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you like Xena they made a smilar show called Legend of the Seeker. I think it's a Sam Raimi joint too.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I miss that show.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Station Eleven continues to be pretty god drat good. Episode 4 wasn’t quite as great as the first 3 but still really solid, and just lost a couple points cause I personally find on character annoying. gently caress you, Alex

In awesome costume news, I would like a cape made out of golf gloves.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Any of my Yellowstone brethren checked out 1883 yet? Didn't realise it had already started.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Dexter: New Blood is its own show.

Debatable.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MiddleOne posted:

Debatable.

Wikipedia, IMDb, and showtime all list it as its own show.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I just watched the new Matrix and that tweet saying it was the best movie ever made is probably the funniest opinion about any media I'll read for a few years.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Is it just me or is Discovery actually good this season?
Admittedly I had very low expectations, but it‘s the first season that hasn’t turned into a trainwreck, and it’s just nice seeing some big budget science fiction on tv.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

DaveKap posted:

I just watched the new Matrix and that tweet saying it was the best movie ever made is probably the funniest opinion about any media I'll read for a few years.

What surprised me the most was that the action scenes kind of suck. A lot of quick cuts that crappy action movies do to hide that actors can't do stunts.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Mu Zeta posted:

What surprised me the most was that the action scenes kind of suck. A lot of quick cuts that crappy action movies do to hide that actors can't do stunts.
Just look up who did the cinematography for the original trilogy vs the two who did Resurrections, that's enough of an "amazing line of films" vs "who?" to explain why it doesn't look like a Matrix movie. Everything else that's wrong with it... well... that's a discussion for another thread.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Wikipedia, IMDb, and showtime all list it as its own show.

Ah, I mean if wikipedia contributor of 14 years YoungForever thinks its so then it must be true.

Or you know, we accept that the show literally just continues chronologically with a time-skip following the same character. As I said, debatable.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I am seeing real film folks on Twitter saying the fighting being worse is “brilliant” because it’s meta commentary on sequels.

Yeah, film Twitter is really loving stupid.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Matrix 4 absolutely slapped. Except for the action scenes which were very unmemorable

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Matrix 4 is awesome. You can tell covid impacted production though-- no way was Christina Ricci meant to only have a single line in the whole film.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Watched 2/3 of New Matrix last night absolutely loved it. It's such a cool and self aware update of the franchise.

E: and it's got the LionArcher anti endorsement so you know its good

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

E: and it's got the LionArcher anti endorsement so you know its good

lmao real talk

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought Matrix 4 was really good in the beginning when it was messing around with what the idea of a Matrix sequel could be. Then the rest of the movie was kind of an uninteresting sequel to the Matrix.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
I did like that it ended with the RATM cover sung by the lady who pissed into an audience's member on stage while she was singing that song. I mean I can't guarantee that that's the mental image they wanted people to leave the film with but it was for me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's atrocious. But that's to be expected the Wachowskis only ever made a single good movie/tv show.

This whole movie was a four month shoot. They spent four months training the actors before the first movie.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 24, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone have recommendations for Christmas tv episodes of yesteryear? Ideally 70s and before, but I'm pretty open.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ah the annual hell of watching your septuagenarian parents try and navigate streaming service menus

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Do they have a Roku? Teach them about the voice commands, it's a life-saver. Searching for an individual title can just deeplink straight to it.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Have a Happy Roy Kent Christmas

https://youtu.be/mhEpas0TXsA

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Matrix 4 loving landed. I love the subversion, the good feels, the comic book like extension of the original property.

The production quality is kinda TV at times, but nah the story was great, and who they highlighted as well.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Station Eleven continues to be pretty god drat good. Episode 4 wasn’t quite as great as the first 3 but still really solid, and just lost a couple points cause I personally find on character annoying. gently caress you, Alex

In awesome costume news, I would like a cape made out of golf gloves.

It's a great show. The tone of it is just perfect, I love the post-apocalyptic worldbuilding, amazing set and costuming, and I really appreciate these interspersed episodes focusing on backstories before/during the pandemic. I thought David Cross was really good in episode 4, too, especially in the few non-comedic scenes he had to do.

I am a bit confused at Enrico Colantoni in these latest two episodes, though.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Chairman Capone posted:

It's a great show. The tone of it is just perfect, I love the post-apocalyptic worldbuilding, amazing set and costuming, and I really appreciate these interspersed episodes focusing on backstories before/during the pandemic. I thought David Cross was really good in episode 4, too, especially in the few non-comedic scenes he had to do.

I am a bit confused at Enrico Colantoni in these latest two episodes, though.

I also thought David Cross was really good for what he had to do. It wasn’t exactly the deepest of deep characters, but he did surprisingly well with what he had. Profoundly wasn’t expecting that mini-golf thing at the end but somehow that of all things worked for me.

I just googled Enrico Colantoni and I have no memory of him on the show. Maybe I’m just being dense though. Where did you see him?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MiddleOne posted:

Ah, I mean if wikipedia contributor of 14 years YoungForever thinks its so then it must be true.

Or you know, we accept that the show literally just continues chronologically with a time-skip following the same character. As I said, debatable.

It's weird that you went and looked up who created a wikipedia article, but ok. Showtime still says it is a new show.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

I just googled Enrico Colantoni and I have no memory of him on the show. Maybe I’m just being dense though. Where did you see him?

Just in case this is a spoiler for anyone who hasn't watched the latest episodes, though it's not really a major spoiler: In the year 20 part, he's the guy on the bicycle inviting the theater to the Museum of Civilization. Then in the episode 5 flashback, he's the Italian boyfriend of Elizabeth who splits with the fake Homeland Security agent. It made me wonder whether that character will eventually return to the airport (since we now know it's the Museum of Civilization) or if not, why they had him play two roles who are both semi-connected through that storyline.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dexter: New Blood is its own show according to every source everywhere. How is this even a debate?

But, as with Twin Peaks: The Return, calling it the latest season of the original show still makes sense in casual conversation.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Just in case this is a spoiler for anyone who hasn't watched the latest episodes, though it's not really a major spoiler: In the year 20 part, he's the guy on the bicycle inviting the theater to the Museum of Civilization. Then in the episode 5 flashback, he's the Italian boyfriend of Elizabeth who splits with the fake Homeland Security agent. It made me wonder whether that character will eventually return to the airport (since we now know it's the Museum of Civilization) or if not, why they had him play two roles who are both semi-connected through that storyline.

O word. Good call.

I’m not very familiar with the actor so I didn’t notice that connection. Could be something or it could just be funning around/filling out the cast.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xiahou Dun posted:

I’m not very familiar with the actor s

How you gonna dis Keith Mars like that?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I was going to say, this is a sign to watch Veronica Mars. And also that I still need to watch the Hulu season.

Also he's one of the main aliens in Galaxy Quest, and helped develop all of the mannerisms of the aliens for the other cast.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Watching Silent Sea, and LOL, Netflix is doubling down on the bad subtitles after the Squidgame controversy.

"I will be a team with him!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/SydneyBattle/status/1474421410579849220

Not in a million years would I attempt this

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I introduced my mom to ITYSL and she loves it, but she and I used to watch Mr Show together so I knew it would be in her wheelhouse.

A group viewing like that is asking for trouble though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My parents wouldn't watch it, they're strictly on the CSI, NCIS, etc. diet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

Watching Silent Sea, and LOL, Netflix is doubling down on the bad subtitles after the Squidgame controversy.

"I will be a team with him!"

I thought the Squid Game "controversy" was just that that one tiktok person had the english closed captioning on instead of the normal subtitles and didn't notice.

I had a friend who somehow watched the whole thing dubbed because she thought that was the only option. She was pretty pissed when she found out it wasn't and she listened to a lovely dub for no reason.