Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The editorial contest thing was pretty clearly for a new work anyway. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Selkie Myth posted:

Pirateaba: Hey! Patreon only announcement! Please don't leak it to the general public.
Peachfart: Lol nah lemme just spread patreon-only content all over

>_>

Comeon. People generally don't spoil other creator's patreon-exclusive content, why you gotta do it here?

Oh. Whoops. I didn't think about that, sorry. I was just so focused on 'pirateaba is being a crazy overworker' to think about the leak.

Edit: Also I edited my post and you are the only person who still has the original so if you wouldn't mind removing my old post? :)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I really wish the numbers in Arkendrithyst used commas. Hard to see exactly what they are when they get big.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Selkie Myth posted:

Pirateaba: Hey! Patreon only announcement! Please don't leak it to the general public.
Peachfart: Lol nah lemme just spread patreon-only content all over

>_>

Comeon. People generally don't spoil other creator's patreon-exclusive content, why you gotta do it here?

Bro I have given pirateaba like $300 over the years. Unless it's a plot spoiler im gonna do whatever the gently caress I want with it lol.

Cicero posted:

I really wish the numbers in Arkendrithyst used commas. Hard to see exactly what they are when they get big.

its literally a plot element

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Numbers don't matter, allow your eyes to blissfully slide over them.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
rest assured true believers I physically cannot will never switch to trad pub

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Still enjoying Ark but man this protagonist is the Mariest Sue I’ve ever seen, and I’ve read King’s Dark Tidings. From a rando who can’t even speak the language to a world-renowned Archmage who regularly talks to gods and also the city’s economic engine AND its primary military deterrent against the local big bads in a month?

Larry Parrish posted:

its literally a plot element
I don’t know what this means, but maybe I haven’t gotten that far

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

PoorWeather posted:

I feel more and more like I'm the only web serial author in the format because I don't like tradpub.

I'm also here for other reasons, but yeah, other than the upcoming audiobooks and self-publishing my work as ebooks for those who want the format, I'm not interested in tradpub. I mean, I wouldn't turn down a publisher if they rocked up to me offering a million pounds to put Katalepsis in print, but that won't happen. The sorts of things I'm interested in writing simply don't have a space in traditional publishing.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cicero posted:

Still enjoying Ark but man this protagonist is the Mariest Sue I’ve ever seen, and I’ve read King’s Dark Tidings. From a rando who can’t even speak the language to a world-renowned Archmage who regularly talks to gods and also the city’s economic engine AND its primary military deterrent against the local big bads in a month?

Mild spoiler: the numbers are exponentially increasing, but you can change how they display, in fact you can change most of the Script display. The Veridic pretty much only use scientific notation just for this. Theres also a semi-global equivalent of a radio table for these results since you can determine the level and estimated threat of a monster from how much XP it gave you. anyway, they start going away pretty fast- the script isn't supposed to be an RPG system, and this story isn't a litrpg.

As far as the other stuff, sure, you can take it that way. He's a nice guy and good at magic, but like I say book 1 is the weakest. A lot of the stuff that happens make more sense later, but you don't have context yet because Erick doesn't have context yet so it sort of seems like hes just the bestest ever.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 21, 2021

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Erik is insanely powerful and just gets stronger all the time. On the other hand, you steadily learn more about the world and just how hosed it really is. I feel like they're balanced because I still don't really know if Erik is actually going to be able to appreciably improve the world on a medium to long term time scale.

That, plus the fact that pretty much everyone treats him like poo poo make it hard for me to read him as a Mary sue.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Wittgen posted:

Erik is insanely powerful and just gets stronger all the time. On the other hand, you steadily learn more about the world and just how hosed it really is. I feel like they're balanced because I still don't really know if Erik is actually going to be able to appreciably improve the world on a medium to long term time scale.

That, plus the fact that pretty much everyone treats him like poo poo make it hard for me to read him as a Mary sue.

He's almost assured to change the world in the long term. On his treatment, maybe I don't remember some stuff from book 1, but for the world he's in he's treated exceedingly well and it only goes up from there.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Cicero posted:

Someone later on in the story comments “man, these numbers suck to read” and there’s some followup to that.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Change the world? Sure. Change it for the better? That's a lot more difficult.

He is not treated well. Organizations consistently give him VIP treatment, sure, but it's just part of trying to get what they want out of him. But they throw hissy fits if he doesn't use his power for then exactly how they want, and they will often berate him for being an idiot who doesn't understand how the world works. Also a lot of assassination attempts.

A prime example from book 1 or so is Silverite guilt tripping him for being suspicious of in the incani mage guildmaster. Silverite acted like it was ridiculous for Erik to doubt that Silverite would shield Erik from quiet war poo poo, even though an incani tried to kill Eric and got away with just a stern warning from Silverite. Like, Silverite, you haven't proven to Erik that he doesn't have to worry about that. Stop politically brow beating him.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Silverite kinda sucks and Erik really should move to Enduring Forge because they are nicer and far less likely to get him killed.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wittgen posted:

"Being wrongfully oppressed, but as a powerful person who can ignore or later reverse that relationship" can also fall under "Mary Sue" writing.

It shows up in some of the worst isekai stuff like Shield Hero or....that other major isekai where the protagonist is translocated with the rest of his class (forget its name). Also a bunch of Xianxia/cultivation WNs. That's kind of the worst case scenario and it's not always bad when this is a plot element, but it's also not exactly evidence against a protagonist being a "Mary Sue."

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I think I stopped reading when like, one gold was supposed to be a night in a hotel room, and then they spent 50+ gold on a tiny pot of spices, and it worked out that the one sandwich they were eating was worth like £600+ and nobody commented on it. I should have let my eyes slide past it I suppose.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Yes, I am aware of that. I guess I should have been more specific. It's not that mustache twirling shitheels are trodding upon Erick so that he can show off how good he is. It's that everyone reacts to him in ways that make sense for who they are. And when you are a powerful person interacting with a wildcard, you don't treat him like a person. You try to use him for your advantage.

It's a much more complicated, interesting dynamic. Erick puts up with a lot, but it's not because he's some Mary sue martyr. It's because he wants certain things and putting up with people being assholes is something he feels is needed to get them. Also the story makes sure to demonstrate that they have something of a point.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nettle Soup posted:

I think I stopped reading when like, one gold was supposed to be a night in a hotel room, and then they spent 50+ gold on a tiny pot of spices, and it worked out that the one sandwich they were eating was worth like £600+ and nobody commented on it. I should have let my eyes slide past it I suppose.

Spur has a particularly ridiculous economy. It's never really outright stated but except for young adults and kids, everyone there is a retired high level mage or soldier basically. Except for the core of Silverite's government and military, it's basically a retirement home because it's an independent city state and the monsters are pretty trivial for anyone who knows what they're doing. So while its in a lovely location, the people who want to live there don't give a poo poo and have a lot of disposable income. The city is full of people who don't matter much in a strategic sense, but absolutely have enough money to blow on expensive imported spices. Plus monsters are made of money on Veird and there's a lot of low level idiot adventurers who will be dumb enough to pay prices like that, too.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Nettle Soup posted:

Yeah I pointed that out a bit earlier, the economics make no sense. People responded that prices are inflated in their particular city, which makes sense, except that the relative prices still make no sense.

Anyway I agree that Erick isn't the "everyone likes and treats him like royalty for no reason" type of Mary Sue, it's just his absurd rise in magic power. And sure, there are reasons given in-world for it, but it still feels hacky to me, even moreso than KDT.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

Spur has a particularly ridiculous economy. It's never really outright stated but except for young adults and kids, everyone there is a retired high level mage or soldier basically. Except for the core of Silverite's government and military, it's basically a retirement home because it's an independent city state and the monsters are pretty trivial for anyone who knows what they're doing. So while its in a lovely location, the people who want to live there don't give a poo poo and have a lot of disposable income. The city is full of people who don't matter much in a strategic sense, but absolutely have enough money to blow on expensive imported spices. Plus monsters are made of money on Veird and there's a lot of low level idiot adventurers who will be dumb enough to pay prices like that, too.

except for the fact that occasionally the incarnations of everything evil and cruel in the world that live a couple miles from the city decide to gently caress with them for "fun"

i have no loving idea why anyone would choose to live in spur if they were financially secure

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Wittgen posted:

Yes, I am aware of that. I guess I should have been more specific. It's not that mustache twirling shitheels are trodding upon Erick so that he can show off how good he is. It's that everyone reacts to him in ways that make sense for who they are. And when you are a powerful person interacting with a wildcard, you don't treat him like a person. You try to use him for your advantage.

It's a much more complicated, interesting dynamic. Erick puts up with a lot, but it's not because he's some Mary sue martyr. It's because he wants certain things and putting up with people being assholes is something he feels is needed to get them. Also the story makes sure to demonstrate that they have something of a point.

Sure, I guess that's the way monsters would behave. It's somewhat surprising that nobody has offed them for being monsters yet. What with the god's proven attitudes towards slavers, you'd think they'd be less tolerant of other forms of sociopathy.

There are other ways to interact with people than exploiting them, not that you'd be able to tell from the way most people treat Erick.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

LLSix posted:

Sure, I guess that's the way monsters would behave. It's somewhat surprising that nobody has offed them for being monsters yet. What with the god's proven attitudes towards slavers, you'd think they'd be less tolerant of other forms of sociopathy.

There are other ways to interact with people than exploiting them, not that you'd be able to tell from the way most people treat Erick.

In a world where individuals can wield such insane power, I think international relations are a better model for the thinking than treating people. If you judge the various leaders' treatment of Erick based on how you'd judge interpersonal relations, then yeah, they look like monsters. If you judge them how you would judge a state treating another state, it all lines up as pretty normal.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

except for the fact that occasionally the incarnations of everything evil and cruel in the world that live a couple miles from the city decide to gently caress with them for "fun"

i have no loving idea why anyone would choose to live in spur if they were financially secure

I think it's a lot of adventurers because the Shades have an armory filled with priceless weapons and artifacts that they let people try to win.

I think it's also people trying to live in a dangerous place because they are personally powerful but want to try to blend in a place where no sane person wants to live, like say a secret dragon or five.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A big flaming stink posted:

It's half people who are there for the loot and a quarter people who are devoting their lives to either killing all the shades or stopping them. And the rest are people selling shovels, basically.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TUTBAD 59:

quote:

“Oh,” said Isra. “I meant … the opposite.”

“The opposite?” asked Ria.

“When I was asking whether people would want to touch me, I meant that I wanted them to,” said Isra. “Or, not to touch me, necessarily, but … I thought it might be nice to be wanted, in that way.”

“I … see,” said Ria, blinking. “And is this for a particular person?”

Isra stayed silent and thought about that. She had been struggling to put into words the way she felt about Verity for quite some time now. It was a nameless yearning for their skin to touch, and when it did touch it was warm and close, a moment that Isra wanted not to end. She liked when their heads were close to each other, when they were in each other’s spaces. They sought each other out in the house, just to see what the other was doing. They talked together, alone, sometimes while they were in the garden together, other times in the room that they shared in Mizuki’s house.

GAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love how awkward Isra is about everything. It was especially funny when she briefly met the druid and apparently it's all Isra and not just the circumstances of how you become a druid.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

TUTBAD 59 is adorable.

Also, Mizuki and Alfric’s interactions are the best lmao

quote:

”Dwodo,” said Mizuki, pointing across the way, to another of the rooms that hung off the walls of the hall.

“Sorry,” said Alfric, who took Mizuki’s hand and gently lowered it. “I should have explained that part of etiquette is not pointing at other members of the audience and gawking at them.”
Hard to overstate how good Wales is at low-key humor. Though maybe I’ve just been reading too many web serials where the jokes are very on the nose?

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
War Queen 25 look down and fear humanites as the colony turns 1 menial to 2 with the power of wheelbarrows!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kyoujin posted:

War Queen 25 look down and fear humanites as the colony turns 1 menial to 2 with the power of wheelbarrows!

Its a really delightful series where you have wheelbarrows considered as arcane and powerful a technology as laser rifles. And arguably for the humans, far more dangerous to give them access to.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Yeah, while it might seem mundane to us it really shows a shift in the thinking of the colony. They never had to develop technology when they had the resources to just throw more bodies at a problem. Love seeing their thought process slowly leave the box.

I'm a couple days late but just read the latest public Outcast chapter and his has some great lines:

outcast 92 posted:

“Ah, no, not that Dungeon Crawl gone wrong. I’m referring to the one before.”

I do wonder how the fiends will use the information that Faelynn got some sort of exp boost while in Rob's party. They may not know it comes from Rob specifically but he IS the only human so should be pretty obvious.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
Been reading Millennial Mage recently. I'm really enjoying the MC, although her antics are best appreciated from a distance since she has a terminal inability to not poke things and has a warped sense of risk analysis. She's basically a representation of the bird meme: "The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math." She's also a giant weirdo who meets other giant weirdos. The women tend to banter well with her; the men so far appear more stoic.

While this is not a modern setting like the word millennial would suggest, I greatly appreciate that this girl faces similar issues as a millennial though, i.e. she's got student debt, and a lot of her internal calculations revolves around the likelihood of making money.

quote:

Freshly graduated from the human magic academy, Tala is on her own in the world. In need of work to pay off her massive debts, Tala's best path seems to be magical indenture: venturing into the wilds and fighting monsters. It's too bad that the Academy didn't teach her any practical skills to speak of. Will her unusual approach to magic make up for the deficit?

One day, she might choose to join the Mages forwarding the cause of humanity and defending them from external threats, but to start, enjoying her newfound freedom, growing stronger, and finding new and exciting ways to make money is more than enough.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
alright from the first 4 chapters student debt mage is very well written and disturbingly real in regards to debt

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I caught up to current on Millennial Mage and have been enjoying it, I really like the weird magic setting and world building. There's so much going on that is unexplained or so completely out there crazy and I love it. The MC is a bit OP and lucky, but that's to be expected to some degree and isn't too much to be detracting from the story.

Seems to be updating quickly also which I approve of.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I like the bird, and the pouch.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
War Queen 26 made me remember the "I love helmets" skateboarder guy.

A lot to unpack in this chapter and hope next chapter we get the Queen's perspective on the fiasco that lead to artillery ambush and massive losses. I do wonder what she is hoping to learn from prioritizing humanite dissection.

I love this story so much - that whole sequence with saving and prioritizing the human over colony members was heartbreaking from mender's perspective.

Looks like the evil dystopian empire is not tolerant of religion. Wonder what they think of the Composer.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PracGuide: I'm kind of surprised we didn't see the dwarves doing anything during the recent battle (IIRC Herald brought some troops with him). Also a little confused why there wasn't more Named involvement - it seems like common sense to include some Heroic Named with an offensive like that (and it's not like they didn't still involved Named, like with Artificer's cool thingy).

I'm guessing Catherine/etc will have to figure out some "outside the box" solution instead of a normal siege, though I'm not sure what form that would take. As either Catherine or someone else mentioned, their army can't sustain many casualties without falling apart, due to being composed of many different individual armies.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Jackal among snakes hit the weekly list on RRL and I gave it a go. Another one of those reincarnated into a game books, but so far a competently written retreading.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
TWI Patreon (but it's also available to the public as a Christmas bonus!): Everything is coming together in the best way possible Any chapter that involves some kind of chatroom is loving gold

edit: oh god i can see the end of the volume coming; are they gonna be curing Erin in the middle of the battlefield against Hectval?

Argue fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 26, 2021

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

ヽ(°〇°)ノ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Got some nightmarish flashbacks to Slack "discussions" with that conversation lol