Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Yeah wasn't the whole buzz about how they were producing their own higher end headset, not a replacement for their budget line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Marxalot posted:

Yeah wasn't the whole buzz about how they were producing their own higher end headset, not a replacement for their budget line?

That's also what I assumed, usually when Cambria was mentioned, the term Pro wasn't far off.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I am all for a Pro quest that has a Quest level of loss leading technology put into it.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Turin Turambar posted:

Not the same. I wouldn't be surprised if the new device is a $600-700 one. That's why it won't replace the Quest 2, it's for a different market segment.

That just makes it sound more the same though doesn't it? Wasnt the 3ds 150 and the Switch is over 300?

Edit: I guess I'm remembering the og ds, but it was still cheaper than the switch.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

BrainDance posted:

That just makes it sound more the same though doesn't it? Wasnt the 3ds 150 and the Switch is over 300?

Edit: I guess I'm remembering the og ds, but it was still cheaper than the switch.

the posters are referring to the software you can run on it

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I just learned that facebook bought out the lens developers/manufactures that Valve was working with for their new headset. Real scummy poo poo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Valve should embrace the high end aesthetic and get someone like Hasselblad to make their lenses

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

christmas sale just started on the oculus store

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Broose posted:

I just learned that facebook bought out the lens developers/manufactures that Valve was working with for their new headset. Real scummy poo poo.

I'm sure they'll open source it all. After all, they need help from ALL to build the Metaverse!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Holidays sales. Time to spend that hard earned credit from referrals
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/...est#/?_k=9pq9qx

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I think I messed up making the Reverb G2 my first ever VR experience. The picture quality is exceptional and I can't imagine going to something fuzzier later.

Then again, it has a host of issues and I wouldn't wholly recommend it to anyone.

As much as I loving hate Facebook, the Q2 really is the best option in most cases.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What is, in this threads opinion, the best multiplayer PCVR game? I want to gift a game to a friend with a CV1 but we mostly just play pokerstars together and I want to expand his horizons a bit and I need some ideas.

I’m thinking pop 1 because he likes shooters but man that game has an exponential difficulty curve.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Got a Quest 2 a short while ago (refurbished 64 gig from WalMart) and while I've managed to get it up and running and even download an app from SideQuest (I think), the oculus app on the PC is giving me fits. I managed to forget my Oculus password and the "reset password" button doesn't do anything. When I try to login with facebook, it just sits there and doesn't pair. I tried reinstalling it just now to start everything over. It froze and might currently be stuck on "clean up". WTF do I do now?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Inzombiac posted:

I think I messed up making the Reverb G2 my first ever VR experience. The picture quality is exceptional and I can't imagine going to something fuzzier later.

Then again, it has a host of issues and I wouldn't wholly recommend it to anyone.

As much as I loving hate Facebook, the Q2 really is the best option in most cases.

To be fair I have never used a reverb g2 but the quest 2 has really good visuals (resolution-wise) and no screen door effect, I really can’t imagine that being something that would ruin your experience coming from a g2

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What is, in this threads opinion, the best multiplayer PCVR game? I want to gift a game to a friend with a CV1 but we mostly just play pokerstars together and I want to expand his horizons a bit and I need some ideas.

I’m thinking pop 1 because he likes shooters but man that game has an exponential difficulty curve.

Walkabout Mini Golf by a mile for me, but idgaf about shooters at all so ymmv.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

To be fair I have never used a reverb g2 but the quest 2 has really good visuals (resolution-wise) and no screen door effect, I really can’t imagine that being something that would ruin your experience coming from a g2

they're very close in resolution and from what I've heard the quest 2 has much better optics, so yeah I don't think anyone would be upset going to Q2 from g2

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Enos Cabell posted:

Walkabout Mini Golf by a mile for me, but idgaf about shooters at all so ymmv.

Seconding this. This game has, by far, the most consistent replay value, and they’re adding stuff at a pretty good clip.

And as of, like, yesterday, they allow guest passes on DLC! So if you have Gardens but your friend doesn’t, they can still play it with you! Only thing is they can’t do ball or fox hunts.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hmm, interesting. Maybe I'll see about selling the G2, then.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Goons, remind me, where the hell is my wishlist in the Oculus app now?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Goons, remind me, where the hell is my wishlist in the Oculus app now?

the only way I've found to pull it up is to add something to it and then click on the little pop up window

it's really dumb

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

they don't even alert me when my wishlist items are on sale, so it's almost entirely useless

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Inzombiac posted:

Hmm, interesting. Maybe I'll see about selling the G2, then.

You're going to have FOV whiplash.

Hate saying that. You've been spoiled with a higher fov headset. It may not bother you, but I'm guessing you're going to notice the second you put it on.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

EbolaIvory posted:

You're going to have FOV whiplash.

Hate saying that. You've been spoiled with a higher fov headset. It may not bother you, but I'm guessing you're going to notice the second you put it on.

eh, everyone's different

I had an index, got a quest 2, and preferred the quest 2 despite a smaller FOV

I really didn't find the difference in FOV to be all that game changing

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm used to the Quest, but if they released a model with a wider fov then I'd buy it in a heartbeat, it's really my only complaint.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tip posted:

eh, everyone's different

I had an index, got a quest 2, and preferred the quest 2 despite a smaller FOV

I really didn't find the difference in FOV to be all that game changing

This stuns me. Exact opposite here. Got an index, then a quest for work poo poo, and the FOV makes stuff unplayable. Like, audica? LOLOL no loving way can I play that on my quest at high levels. Shits already out of FOV sometimes with the index, on the quest its a nightmare. O_O

Its pretty awesome you had the opposite experience.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Rec Room is still a fave for hanging out in VR with friends. The quests are a fun diversion, disc golf is great for just shooting the poo poo, and the paintball and Battle Royale modes are legit good if a bit simple. Plus it's free can't go wrong

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oculus Quest UI needs a revamp. The All / Installed categories was enough when the device was new and people had 5-10 things, but I have 150 items already, in between free and bought stuff. And they should enforce the demos going to the actual demos category, it seems they forgot they created that category in the first place, it isn't unused since the release of Quest 1 (!).

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmSMe4lH4Sg

VorpX developer has released a six-dof free standalone VR mod for Cyberpunk 2077.

Gonna be downloading in a bit and giving that a rip

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Bit of a bummer that your hands aren't tracked so you basically aim/shoot like you would on a controller. Not saying this isn't a cool mod but that might sway me from going and buying Cyberpunk just to see how this mod is like I was thinking.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

There is ANOTHER mod being worked on by Luke Ross, the dev behind the GTA 5 and Red Dead Redemption VR ports. That is supposed to be out in January, so we'll see how they compare. This unique VorpX one is barebones but it works and it's free so I'm not going to complain

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh nice I have to try this. The lack of tracked hands is kind of a bummer but seeing the world will be cool I’m sure

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Broose posted:

Facebook has been doing that to the entire VR industry. Quite literally if they fail they want to make sure nobody else succeeds by soaking talent away from the industry. Extremely hosed up and completely inexcusable but hey, the Quest is 300 bucks!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Facebook has been doing that to the entire VR industry. Quite literally if they fail they want to make sure nobody else succeeds by soaking talent away from the industry. Extremely hosed up and completely inexcusable but hey, the Quest is 300 bucks!

I don't think they're trying to sabotage anyone else, they're just dumping the most effort and resources into it. For all their faults, and despite the fact that I think VR has insane potential, it's absolutely not a sure thing. There is still some risk to what they're doing, which I think is part of why other companies don't want to actually put up a real fight, even though I think they could

That said I still think they're completely and utterly directionless. If the metaverse of the last Oculus connect is all they make nobody will care and it'll be a huge flop, lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Broose posted:

Should i be cheering for the ppl dropping cash gobbling stuff or gabe newell sitting on the dragons hoard here lol.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Facebook is the only VR player making moves that make sense. Valve is doing……….rma requests I guess? Maybe they’ll make a quest-like out of the steam deck, if it ever releases. HP is making yet another WMR headset and everyone else is making $5000 hmd’s that need a subscription service to work and don’t ship with lighthouses or controllers.

lovely or not, Facebook is actively pushing forward AND delivering things that the average joe can afford

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Lemming posted:

That said I still think they're completely and utterly directionless. If the metaverse of the last Oculus connect is all they make nobody will care and it'll be a huge flop, lol

They’ve got too much money sloshing arount (and invested in the pos vr market) and are trying to create demand and it’s really funny how the desire for returns has manifested itself lol

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm still curious how the VR/AR mixed units, like the Lynx, will pan out.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

FB in general, has always been trigger-happy with the acquisitions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Meta_Platforms
This isn't even the full list. I see some missing there, like Carbon Design.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Homeless Friend posted:

They’ve got too much money sloshing arount (and invested in the pos vr market) and are trying to create demand and it’s really funny how the desire for returns has manifested itself lol

Also they don't have to care if it sucks now so long as they get everyone onto their platform first. They can fix it after the fact and by then it doesn't matter if anyone else comes along because everyone's on their platform, which is what matters in the end and why their budget is functionally unlimited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Inzombiac posted:

I'm still curious how the VR/AR mixed units, like the Lynx, will pan out.

They're already planning/making a Lynx R2, I really hope they can keep up the momentum instead of sputtering out.