Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I'm most likely going to record a mining video on Sunday or Monday as it's going to take a couple of loving ice ages a while to record from start to end. I'm not sure how I'm going to proceed with editing as of yet as it's just going to be shooting a bunch of rocks and dealing with pirate attacks. It's probably going to be a video that's going to be sped up for about 95% of the time as I'm going to start in the location that I need to be in and dealing with pirate attacks, the remaining 5% will deal with trying to sell it all off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I've just finished recording the mining video, it clocks in at a little one hour and forty-three minutes. The final video is going to be 99% sped up and I'll be adding music throughout it. This is the longest video that I have ever recorded for an LP and it's mostly just about shooting space rocks. It's going to take a while to edit but I'll try to have something up within the next few days.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I thought that I would start off with mining. It's boring, it takes a long time but it's also 100% pure profit. There are numerous asteroid fields throughout the universe, each one provides its own set of resources that can range from water to diamonds. I chose Dublin because of its goldfield, low-level enemies, and base sitting right in the middle of the field. In total, it took over 1 hour and 43 minutes to record this segment, I could have been more efficient but I knew it was going to take a while so I put more effort into being comfortable. Apart from the start and the end of the video, the video speed has been increased by 100% and I decided to fill that time with music from the game. The final product is 14:48 long and I've put timestamps in the description, if you're wanting to cut straight to the final figures then the landing sequence begins at 13:16.

I may use some other music for a few other videos, possibly for the trade routes. But if you're interested, these are the tracks that I used and in the order that I used them:

music_br_danger
music_ku_danger
music_li_danger
music_omega_danger
music_sigma_danger
music_tau_danger
music_rh_danger
music_iw_danger
music_omicron_danger
music_no_ally_danger
music_m13_hypergate_scene

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Edit: Link removed due to an error that I made with editing. I'll be back tomorrow with an update.

There are a number of very profitable trade routes in the game, there are even some very efficient trade routes that involve several systems at one time. In this video, I decided to focus on a couple of short trade runs with a decent payoff. This video focuses on transporting Engine Components from Honshu to Magellan and then swinging back around and picking up some Gate\Lane Parts to take up to Hokkaido. I said in a previous post that I will look more into more profitable, and more dangerous, trade routes at a later date. The aim of this video is to make a quick bundle of cash in a short amount of time.

Music (in order):

music_reveal_and_exposition
music_reveal_challenging
music_reveal_contraband
music_reveal_enemy_pos
music_reveal_special_myst
music_anticipation_light
music_anticipation_moref
music_anticipation_motiv
music_awe_and_wonderment
music_victory_short

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 14, 2021

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Apologies, I forgot to slow the footage down at Pueblo Station. I managed to fix the editing and encode a new video but I didn't have enough time to upload and fix things properly as I ran out of time due to pre-made plans.

Music (in order):

music_reveal_and_exposition
music_reveal_challenging
music_reveal_contraband
music_reveal_enemy_pos
music_anticipation_moref
music_anticipation_motiv
music_reveal_special_myst
music_anticipation_light
music_anticipation_motiv (Again. I re-ordered things slightly and I did so in a rush.)

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 16, 2021

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=160005

We're back in Rheinland space with a new ship and we're exploring the New Berlin system. We have visited this system once before so it is partially mapped already, but there's still a whole lot more to see. There are a couple of wrecks in this system, several jump holes and a lot of bases. In fact, there are eight bases in this system and the majority of this video is spent talking to people in bars.

There is a skip around the 1:40 mark as I cut the sped-up footage at the 16.5k mark instead of the 6.5k mark by mistake. I'm not really sure that it's worth doing another two-hour encoding to include a second or two of non-important footage.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 23, 2021

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=160028

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 26, 2021

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

Your link leads to a private video. The episode is available on your channel under a different video ID though...

To refresh patrons at the bar, you need to undock and dock again. I remember doing that to get more favourable missions way back when, since it also refreshes the mission board.

Regarding episode 46 and clearing out the junkers before docking, they wouldn't be there even if you left immediately after docking unless you were playing multiplayer and another player was in the same system, possibly in the vicinity. The game populates a system from scratch based on the patrol routes every time you undock, possibly in a bubble around you, since the patrol routes on the map keep pouring more ships along the same routes, even if there isn't a station to launch new patrols.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

StarFyter posted:

Your link leads to a private video. The episode is available on your channel under a different video ID though...

To refresh patrons at the bar, you need to undock and dock again. I remember doing that to get more favourable missions way back when, since it also refreshes the mission board.

Regarding episode 46 and clearing out the junkers before docking, they wouldn't be there even if you left immediately after docking unless you were playing multiplayer and another player was in the same system, possibly in the vicinity. The game populates a system from scratch based on the patrol routes every time you undock, possibly in a bubble around you, since the patrol routes on the map keep pouring more ships along the same routes, even if there isn't a station to launch new patrols.

Thank you, I was uploading two videos at the same time and copied the wrong link. I've updated them now.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

StarFyter posted:

Thank you for clarifying this. I did think somewhat that this was the case as the presence of rogues while undocking was always a dice roll one way or another.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=160053

I forgot to say in the video that Pirna Border Station is the only base where we can buy two level nine Rheinland weapons, the Firekiss Mk II and Hornviper Mk II. It's also the only place where we can by the level seven weapons, Flamecurse Mk II and Stealthblade Mk II and the Flamecurse Mk II and Stealthblade Mk II turrets.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=160107

This was meant to be straightforward but I miscounted the number of wrecks in my notes several times throughout the recording and throughout the confusion, I also ended up missing a jump hole (which I recorded separately last night and then added to the end of this video). I probably should have scrapped the recording and started again but my youngest has been suffering from conjunctivitis this past week or so and my free time has been cut extremely short due to taking care of her. I'm not sure when I will have a good amount of free time to record again, most likely this weekend as she is on the mend but still hasn't fully recovered. So for now, here is a recording that didn't quite go to plan. This is also the last system in Rheinland space, we have ventured a little way into the Border Worlds before but we didn't really have a warm welcome. Hopefully, our new ship will be able to handle what awaits us.

This is how the universe looks to us now that we have finished exploring the four empires:

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
You were missing luxury food in Baden-baden because they literally rot away in your hold, as that commodity is one of the few highly perishable items.
Fancy space steaks (or cosmo carrots, since that wreck might've been fron Stuttgart) seem to lack any preservatives.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Lulti posted:

You were missing luxury food in Baden-baden because they literally rot away in your hold, as that commodity is one of the few highly perishable items.
Fancy space steaks (or cosmo carrots, since that wreck might've been fron Stuttgart) seem to lack any preservatives.

That would explain it. It seems like the concept of refrigeration has been lost in this universe.

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

@18:15 The "Perhaps we lost 'the eighty'", line most likely refers to the Gas Mining Guild and Rheinland war, referred to as the "eighty year war". It's mentioned a few times during the story missions, you even fly through a former battlefield. It might have gotten deeper insight if they didn't cut out most of the Rheinland portion of the game, I'd imagine.

Rest of that "rumor" seems to be just "Our ancestors went through many hardships, so we should be able to as well" kind of deal

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

StarFyter posted:

@18:15 The "Perhaps we lost 'the eighty'", line most likely refers to the Gas Mining Guild and Rheinland war, referred to as the "eighty year war". It's mentioned a few times during the story missions, you even fly through a former battlefield. It might have gotten deeper insight if they didn't cut out most of the Rheinland portion of the game, I'd imagine.

Rest of that "rumor" seems to be just "Our ancestors went through many hardships, so we should be able to as well" kind of deal

Thank you for clarifying this. The story missions are a distant memory to me at this point.

I'm amazes at the amount of more that's been extracted from this game by people despite it only feeding information in small portions. I've seen a lot of detailed write ups and only a handful of actual more throughout this play through. The manual isn't much more than a standard manual with a little backstory here and there. And yet when I read the wiki I'm finding these kind of wrote ups: https://freelancer.fandom.com/wiki/History_of_The_Colonies

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 8, 2021

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=160151

A fairly standard system apart from the massive dust cloud that envelops the whole area and all of the dangerous gas pockets dotted around everywhere.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just finished recording Omega-5, I'm not sure wether I should edit it to cut down on the tedium or show the tedium of finding a needle in a haystack.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
If you leave in the tedium, then I recommend singing sea shanties over the longer stretches of travel time.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

EricFate posted:

If you leave in the tedium, then I recommend singing sea shanties over the longer stretches of travel time.

It's a lot of very short travel times mixed in with many rogue attacks while searching through a lot of objects. I can dub some in but they'll only last for a few seconds each time.

And now, as I'm typing this I remember that there is a scan function! :doh:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Welcome to Omega-5, my first attempt at mapping this system was way back in June and it did not go well at all. This time it was a breeze now I have a bigger ship and bigger weapons. This system is probably the smallest that we have encountered so far, if not then it feels like it. There are four jump holes, two rogue bases and a ton of wrecks. You can pretty much stop watching after the seven-minute mark as it only took that long to uncover the contents of this system. The rest of the video is of me trying to find four wrecks that are laying amongst a sea of empty wrecks. I went back into the game before posting this to check whether wrecks can be scanned, it turns out that they can't so the only method is the one I used which was aimless shooting.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Whatever you're celebrating or not celebrating today, I hope that it's a good one for you!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I did say Trent was an rear end when you pick "no" :v:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=160223

Omega-11 was really interesting to explore for a few reasons. There's the threat of slow death, the threat of really fast death and the threat of being shot to death. I originally recorded this tour yesterday, but I forgot to turn the mic back on after recording the footage for the previous video, my grammar in this recording seems to wander off on its own at times in this recording.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
Ahh, the wonderful melody of hostiles screaming in the background while mining for diamonds in the melting belt. Of course one could just buy cheap diamonds in bulk from Solarius, but where is the fun in that?
The level 10 weapons are wonderful in a way that while they are already powerful, they deal the same amount of damage against all shield variants. No need to switch around for weaknesses.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Lulti posted:

The level 10 weapons are wonderful in a way that while they are already powerful, they deal the same amount of damage against all shield variants. No need to switch around for weaknesses.

They all tend to come with colorful projectile effects, too. Just make you own flashy fireworks display on the go.

Happy new year, everybody.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 3, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm currently travelling to New Tokyo to offload these diamonds, it's a long trip but it'll more than pay for repairs. That is until I hit Omega-41, which from what I've read, it's going to be even more fun.

It's going to be a while before I'm going to be using level 10 weapons as, from what I understand, there are only two ships that can use them and they're both rogue ships.

I'm starting to reconsider how I'm going to handle the rogue content as most of the organisations are friendly towards us now. I think that after Omega-41 I'm just going to spend some time exploring rogue bases that we've already encountered. I'll also buy and fly the various ships between these bases.

I will do a piracy video that will explore various means of engaging in it. But right now the piracy content is going to be 95% visiting bases and talking to people, which I'm already doing, and 5% of actually doing cool pirate things.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Welcome to Omega-41, this definitely wasn't the easiest place to cruise through even at our current level. Omega-11 was a picnic compared to this system. This recording session felt very messy, I've got a chipped tooth so my speaking ability is a little off and it doesn't help that I mispronounced a few systems. But I wasn't able to pull off a single successful practise run and after two attempts at recording ending up in really bad failures, I'm going to just accept this is what it is and move on.

We've already explored most of the known universe and I think that there are only eleven systems left to explore. I think that before I head back to the Tau systems I'm going to do a few recording sessions where I'm going to visit the Rogue bases in each of the empires and flying their ships in between each one. I will actively engage in piracy in a separate video or two

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I've got a chipped tooth
I will actively engage in piracy

You've done more cool stuff in 6 days than I did in the entire year of 2021

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

sb hermit posted:

You've done more cool stuff in 6 days than I did in the entire year of 2021

I chipped my tooth while eating Doritos, I'm not sure whether that's cool or not.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I chipped my tooth while eating Doritos, I'm not sure whether that's cool or not.

were they cool ranch doritos

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Cool enough to earn a spot on goon.txt if anything.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

biosterous posted:

were they cool ranch doritos

They were "Chilli Heatwave" flavour, I have no idea if they are available outside the UK. Just imagine your locally flavoured promise of chilli heat flavour that ultimately taste like disappointment and regret.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just finished recording the rogue bases in Liberty space. It seems like Buffalo Base is bugged as it sometimes goes hostile randomly. After several reloads I've approached the base and docked with no issues half of the time, in the other half the base suddenly hostile and fires at me despite a positive reputation. During the recording session, the base was friendly with me but as soon as I engaged docking procedures it randomly turned hostile and started firing at me during the docking animation.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

During the recording session, the base was friendly with me but as soon as I engaged docking procedures it randomly turned hostile and started firing at me during the docking animation.

I think I had this happen playing Freelancer myself, at some point. It's dumb but also kind of hilarious? Waiting until you're a sitting duck and then flagging as hostile and opening fire is theoretically smart, but it kinda falls apart when you finish the dock and everyone just sort of shrugs and says "okay well, he got away I guess we'll get him next time"

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
I vaguely remember similar thing happening to me, but I am not sure if it's a bug or if a hostile enemy that the base is allied with appeared and turned the base against you.
Was your reputation with Liberty Rogues in negative and your "positive" rep with Junkers just neutral on positive side?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Lulti posted:

I vaguely remember similar thing happening to me, but I am not sure if it's a bug or if a hostile enemy that the base is allied with appeared and turned the base against you.
Was your reputation with Liberty Rogues in negative and your "positive" rep with Junkers just neutral on positive side?

I set both the Liberty Rogues and the Junkers to positive for this video. Know that you've mentioned it I think that I know now! :argh: OUTCASTS!!! :argh:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm editing the video right now and have reached that point. I did have a fight with some Outcasts before leaving the system and afterwards, I must have triggered the Liberty Rogues in the first fight as one of their fighters joined the fray. The base remained friendly until I was 4k away from it and then it turned hostile. On the reload, there were a lot of Outcasts and Rogues already hostile and ready for a fight so I just booked it straight to Buffalo Base. Everything was fine leading up to it and I could enable docking procedures, as soon as I was 150m away they started to open fire.

I'm almost done with the editing, this video is going to contain more music from the soundtrack.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=160295

This video is a tour of the "Criminal" bases in the Liberty system. I was originally going to title this "Liberty Rogues" but then I remembered that one of the criminal factions uses that name. The preferred\official(?) name for these groups seems to be "Criminal" so I will be using that term for the titles. I've included music from the soundtrack for four out of the five transitions between bases, mainly because the music is really good in this game but also partly so I can make myself cups of tea and such while I wait without worrying about making any noise. (There's some background noise past the 23:00 mark, my neighbours decided to make an unnecessary amount of noise while moving their bin.) I didn't include music for the final transition for reasons that I posted before this update, there was a fair bit of action happening.

I decided to use the Liberty bar music for this update, the files used in order are:

music_bar_li05
music_bar_li01
music_bar_li02
music_bar_li03

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

I think what's happening there, is that you are hostile with the outcasts, who IIRC the liberty rogues are friendly with, and the rogues in turn go hostile with you because the outcast in vicinity is hostile. 20:16 you can see an outcast fighter in the contact list.

Quick look on the Freelancer Wiki says they're friendly on +0.35, which I assume means above the threshold of joining the fight together on the same side, no idea about the numbers they use on the wiki.