Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I recall seeing a certain cd player that played multiple cds in a car - but it was stored in the trunk.

So you couldn’t change what was in the disc trays unless you pulled over.

Am I imagining this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
no that was totally a thing

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

that was super common yeah, I guess the idea was that 6 CDs oughta be enough for anyone

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cracker King posted:

I recall seeing a certain cd player that played multiple cds in a car - but it was stored in the trunk.

So you couldn’t change what was in the disc trays unless you pulled over.

Am I imagining this?

trunk changers were absolutely a thing in the 90s, you could have a 50-disc changer back there and cycle through them from the head unit. the 6-disc pioneer changers with cartridges were popular when i was as in high school, some people would stick them under a seat but trunk was the more common location.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

they were OEM fitment in loads of cars in the late 90s to early 2010s.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Those padded CD binders with mesh sleeves that were full of burned CDs of the music your friends liked, and of music they didn't but hey they have the .iso so why not, and which permanently resided in the glove compartment of their used 1990 Dodge Whatever.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The CD binders that attached to the sun visor

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i have a 5 cd changer in the head unit :smug:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sweevo posted:

they were OEM fitment in loads of cars in the late 90s to early 2010s.

i just remembered that i have one in my trunk. no idea if it still works or not

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

graph posted:

i have a 5 cd changer in the head unit :smug:

Extremely rude thing to call your partner

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Volmarias posted:

Those padded CD binders with mesh sleeves that were full of burned CDs of the music your friends liked, and of music they didn't but hey they have the .iso so why not, and which permanently resided in the glove compartment of their used 1990 Dodge Whatever.

i never had a car with a cd player, so instead i had one of those zippered cases that held like 40 tapes spine-up.

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong
cassette tape to 8mm headphone jack. gotta hold that CD player the whole time bc it doesn't have antishock protection

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i never had a car with a cd player, so instead i had one of those zippered cases that held like 40 tapes spine-up.

these were perfect for n64 carts. they are the same size as tapes, just thicker

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
You kids and your :airquote:compact discs:airquote:.

Let me tell you about 8-track tapes.

KA-CHACK!

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Presto posted:

You kids and your :airquote:compact discs:airquote:.

Let me tell you about 8-track tapes.

KA-CHACK!

Any eight tracks you got are probably gonna need to be reglued soon.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

for my 9th birthday i got a personalized llbean one

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

when i got a cd player for my 89 buick back in high school my dad REALLY wanted me to get a trunk cd changer instead. he thought they were way better. i disagreed and never regretted my choice

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Achmed Jones posted:

when i got a cd player for my 89 buick back in high school my dad REALLY wanted me to get a trunk cd changer instead. he thought they were way better. i disagreed and never regretted my choice

Haha, man. Makes me think of all those lovely GPS systems that had a DVD player in the trunk or something.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

defmacro posted:

cassette tape to 8mm headphone jack

poo poo was magic, still is

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Haha, man. Makes me think of all those lovely GPS systems that had a DVD player in the trunk or something.

that was just because it was the easiest way to get switchable map packs. Iirc you could get compact flash map sets around 2000. now of course it's just an SD slot.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

that was just because it was the easiest way to get switchable map packs. Iirc you could get compact flash map sets around 2000. now of course it's just an SD slot.

a lot of them just have a usb port and save it to internal flash now, bring your own drive, download the file into the right directory, and update.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

now built-in gps is increasingly not found on new cars at all since people just use carplay

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i remembered something funny on the ride home but forget it now :\

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

graph posted:

i remembered something funny on the ride home but forget it now :\

caught yourself in the rear view mirror, eh?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

The_Franz posted:

now built-in gps is increasingly not found on new cars at all since people just use carplay

Most cars still have the GPS receiver because the chipsets are cheap, it's one less config to manage on the line, and it means you can sell your $10/mo telematics service to consumers. A side benefit of this is that when iPhones are connected to CarPlay, it'll switch to using the location provided by the car since you're going to get better data from the active antenna with a massive ground plane and view of the sky than trying to piece together the same data from within a steel box.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DamnGlitch posted:

as a Mac kid it was pretty bogus going from daisy chainable scsi to slave/master + 2 mega slow usb1 ports

scsi cards were absolutely a thing for PCs, they just cost more.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
trunk mounted disc changers were still a thing well into the 00s. it took awhile for the all mighty aux cord to take over.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I have a drawer of adapter 2940 and 3940 variants (all the way to U2fast2furious) that I just can’t bring myself to get rid of.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
SCSI on PC was considered Cadillac. SCSI everything cost so much more compared to IDE/Parallel/Serial. I don't think I used a single PC with scsi anything while it was still relevant.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

I remember a brief period where sound cards would have SCSI controllers on them for adding a CD drive and upgrading your PC to be "multimedia ready" in one kit.

the best part about those car CD changers in the trunk was that meant there was a connector on the back of the head unit that took line level audio, so an aux cord upgrade was an easy <$10 mod.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ive got both the bmw trunkchanger (takes pioneer cartridges!) and the 5 disc in-dash in the ford

i have never once used either. i thought about putting a couple DJ Icey mixes or whatever throwback poo poo in the expedition but then i remember i dont have any optical drives in the house any more lol

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I was just thinking going PowerPC to iMac, especially before burners were included by default

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Hed posted:

I have a drawer of adapter 2940 and 3940 variants (all the way to U2fast2furious) that I just can’t bring myself to get rid of.

i remember the 2940s were like gold at my old office late 90s early 00s because they were one of the few cards supported by solaris for x86

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
as late as 2018 i was able to communicate with my old rear end samplers with a vanilla 2940 jammed into an old c2d box running win10. i was amazed when it...just installed

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

web-safe colors

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
three buttoned mice like what did the middle button even do

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Wild EEPROM posted:

create a twm window

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Wild EEPROM posted:

If you want to find out, try pressing down on your scroll wheel. Lotta mice have a third button hidden under there. Mine copy/pastes under x.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
sometimes the mmb held the lmb down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wild EEPROM posted:

A lot of 3d modeling programs use the third button for some sort of navigation, like to tumble or pan the view.

They also served as a scroll wheel (click once then move the cursor slightly down to scroll down at a constant rate) before actual wheels became popular.