Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

My PC is in one room and connected to an Ethernet extender because, for whatever reason, my home WiFi just isn't particularly reliable. The router is in the living room. Am I best to use the wired connection sitting at my desktop for PC VR? Or if I use Virtual Desktop or Oculus Air Link in the living room, will that be OK with my PC or will something go terribly wrong somewhere?

AirLink connects to your router while the cable just runs straight from your PC, so if you're next to the PC and you know the wi-fi sucks then use the cable, and if you're in the lounge next to the router then absolutely use AirLink. I have a similar setup, my PC is two storeys up from the router but in my case AirLink works pretty well even up there, so I'd give AirLink a go anyway because it's definitely more convenient than tethering a cable to the headset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Love to see it!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Diephoon posted:

Even if performance was equal, I would continue using Virtual Desktop

Same.

Forced openvr for steamvr is great for me personally. The ability to tweak so much is great. And I've personally found that its way more turn key and just works more often than airlink.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Joining the "got a quest 2 for Christmas" crew, been having a lot of fun with the "starter pack" games (Superhot, Job Simulator, Gorn). I also picked up Vader Immortal because I like Star Wars and it was on sale for £10 for all three episodes but it's... quite bad lol

The first one has a really good lightsaber dojo mode

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The first one has a really good lightsaber dojo mode

Yeah, I unironically think it has the best melee/sword combat I've played in VR so far. You have to pay attention to the tells of the attacks, and there's a nice flow of back and forth between defending and attacking. If you play it enough you can peek behind the curtain, but for most other melee games they tend to be either pure waggle or so scripted it explicitly tells you when and how to attack and defend. There's also some great spatial audio so you can learn to hear when and where the strikes are going to come from, so you can finish off one guy then spin around just in time to stop another attack

Then in the second and third episodes they add the force and guns which makes the lightsaber pointless to use lol

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

It also has the most annoying sidekick I've ever seen in a computer game

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I just got done loving around with airlink and it's way less easy and intuitive than Virtual Desktop yeesh. I'm just annoyed whenever I have to use it

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
I've brought drunken barfight which is basic but pretty fun, it's also on sale.

How are you guys dealing with the controller batteries? Rechargeables?

Probably very old news to you lot but I got the elite strap with extra battery and can highly recommend.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Thrill of the fight is the daily deal on Quest, just 5€

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Extra row of tits posted:

How are you guys dealing with the controller batteries? Rechargeables?

A whole shitload of AA's

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I have a box of rechargeable batteries and a charger. When batteries die, I put them on the charger. When the charger is full, I put it on the wall. After done, I empty the batteries back into the box.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Rechargeables with decent capacity last long enough to be useable, but proper Duracells last an absolute age. If you get a set of controller grips, Kiwi do ones with a battery flap for quick swapping so you don't have to remove them each time.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

The AA's that came with the quest lasted me at least 6 months.

My rechargeables can't touch that. 8 hours in and they're reporting 40%.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

roffels posted:

The AA's that came with the quest lasted me at least 6 months.

My rechargeables can't touch that. 8 hours in and they're reporting 40%.

You need either better rechargeables or a better charger, mine last for weeks

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I buy supermarket own brand batteries in 6’s for a few quid and a box of those will last me about 5-6 months. Then I just take them back and drop them in the battery recycling bin they have.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Ne Cede Malis posted:

I'm having a really frustrating issue with valve index controllers not tracking now that I moved my setup to the garage. The controllers power up and the LED turns green, buttons work etc but the base stations can't see them. The only way to fix it is to turn them on and off repeatedly for 3-5 minutes. They randomly start working and tracking is perfect for hours. It's frustrating to have to do this every time I'd like to play.

I've done all the usual things like move the base stations, update firmware controllers. It was working flawlessly inside before moving to the garage. Happens in daylight or night time, with the lights on or off, car parked in the garage or not. I've tried covering anything reflective but it still doesn't seem to matter. Has anyone had any similar problems?

Make sure there aren't any stray sources of IR light like for a security camera, I think that can mess with the tracking. Usually a cell phone pic will pick invisible IR if you don't know where it might be

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Thoatse posted:

Make sure there aren't any stray sources of IR light like for a security camera, I think that can mess with the tracking. Usually a cell phone pic will pick invisible IR if you don't know where it might be

You may find the main cameras have IR filters, (on iPhone, at least) but the fronts don’t.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I wonder how Facebook is sourcing their hardware to be able to meet the crazy demand this Christmas. So many of my family and friends got a Quest, and seeing the app top charts I'm guessing it's a pretty widespread phenomenon

Surely some of the success is due to a Quest 2 being pretty much the only electronic entertainment product available this year

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

Grashnak posted:

my guess would be that you are triggering ASW which is when the game can't achieve whatever refresh rate your headset is running at so it instead runs at half that and then it interpolates the frames in between. I've only really noticed it in beat saber but it does do that swimmy thing a bit because it does not go well with anything that isn't moving at a constant speed relative to your vision.

It is possible to turn asw off using the oculus debug tool but you need to do it every time you connect your headset which gets pretty annoying.

Sorry this is ages late to respond, but I opened the debug tool without the headset connected and it seems to already be disabled (Asynchronous Spacewarp I assume) -- will it just turn on when the headset is connected?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
My Quest 2 isn't charging. I have it plugged into my pc with the Link cable, the light on the headset is orange, but it didn't gain any charge after I left it plugged in overnight. I didn't have any games running. Did I forget to do something?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Node posted:

My Quest 2 isn't charging. I have it plugged into my pc with the Link cable, the light on the headset is orange, but it didn't gain any charge after I left it plugged in overnight. I didn't have any games running. Did I forget to do something?

This will depend more on the PC and what specific port you have it plugged into, but by and large plugging into your PC won't charge it as well as plugging it into the wall. Depending on what port I use my headset will drain while using Link or break even. On mine it'll charge overnight, but it's definitely a crapshoot depending on any number of factors

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah my Quest plugged into the PC will go from empty to full in about 10-12 hours, compared to under 2 when on the actual charger. USB just doesn't put out enough juice for these kinds of things.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
What are some good party games on quest? Something you could make a drinking game out of while having it cast to the TV. Already have beat saber, superhot and walkabout mini golf.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

What are some good party games on quest? Something you could make a drinking game out of while having it cast to the TV. Already have beat saber, superhot and walkabout mini golf.

Acron, the VR player is a tree and everyone else plays against them on their phones as squirrels trying to steal acorns. It's great

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes might be worth trying. Buncha drunk assholes trying to help someone disarm a bomb sounds fun.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes is a reliable standby that also uses the VR player working with/against everyone else. Racket NX might well work too for drunken flailing funtimes.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Lemming posted:

This will depend more on the PC and what specific port you have it plugged into, but by and large plugging into your PC won't charge it as well as plugging it into the wall. Depending on what port I use my headset will drain while using Link or break even. On mine it'll charge overnight, but it's definitely a crapshoot depending on any number of factors

njsykora posted:

Yeah my Quest plugged into the PC will go from empty to full in about 10-12 hours, compared to under 2 when on the actual charger. USB just doesn't put out enough juice for these kinds of things.

Thanks for the information. I have to admit, I'm disappointed. I assumed that, like every other usb device I have, it would be able to get enough power through the cable and pc itself. Having to disconnect the Q2 from the computer and plug it into the wall all the time isn't ideal.

It was draining about 20% charge per hour. That doesn't sound right, does it?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That's about right for wired Link use in my experience, if your PC has a USB-C port you may find it better if you want it to get more juice while in use to get a USB-C to USB-C cable. I used one of those for a while (USB 2.0 but it worked fine) and it reliably kept the Quest topped up during play even when my USB-A 3.0 cable couldn't. The only issue being that no-one seems to have made a decent and affordable USB-C extension cable yet so it didn't reach as far as I needed it to.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

njsykora posted:

That's about right for wired Link use in my experience, if your PC has a USB-C port you may find it better if you want it to get more juice while in use to get a USB-C to USB-C cable. I used one of those for a while (USB 2.0 but it worked fine) and it reliably kept the Quest topped up during play even when my USB-A 3.0 cable couldn't. The only issue being that no-one seems to have made a decent and affordable USB-C extension cable yet so it didn't reach as far as I needed it to.

That's what I was using - my motherboard's usb-c port with the official, overpriced, oculus link cable, which is usb-c to usb-c. It doesn't charge the headset, or slow the drain while the headset is in use.

I did some more reading and it looks like some people had some success with a third party cable that does usb-c to usb-a, apparently the usb-a in their case will provide juice to the headset. It has a maximum data transfer date of 5 Gbit-s. Worth a try? Or is that not enough bandwidth for the Q2? Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09D87D4V1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

This is my motherboard, if it matters: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/

Node fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 27, 2021

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I would try different ports, if possible. You could also try getting an A to C adapter (whichever one lets you plug it into an A port). It shouldn't really matter that much in terms of bandwidth for USB 2.0 or 3.0 (though 3.0 seems to generally work better? not really conclusive). Your computer might have different USB buses internally, and maybe different ones will work better, since different ones might be able to supply different amounts of power. It's way too variable without knowing for sure or testing it out yourself, unfortunately, but the gist is that not every USB port will end up behaving the same for any number of reasons

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

In my experience, if the battery is drained completely/near completely, it's just not gonna charge through my PC's USB port (that and I get random disconnects while playing anyway if it's at a low charge.)

If it's at a full charge it will drain a little bit, very slowly while playing. And then it'll catch itself back up to 100 pretty fast. This is over a 5m USB-A 3.2 cable, and was about the same with a near identical USB-C cable.

Node posted:

It was draining about 20% charge per hour. That doesn't sound right, does it?

20% per hour while plugged into a USB port while you're playing a game? That'd be concerning for me, I get maybe 5% battery drain per hour that way (or maybe less, not enough that I have to pay attention to it.) But, it's going to probably be different depending on your motherboard or even the cable you're using.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Does anyone get the VR sickness/nausea feeling after playing? I hadn't VR walked in awhile but now I don't feel that dizziness immediately, but my stomach has been feeling a little nauseous lately and I'm not sure if I need to attribute that to VR or something else.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm not really feeling Golf+. I did the driving range with the YouTube screen and I'm probably going to keep the game because of that but I don't really like the way it feels to play, I dunno. Putting can feel satisfyingly close to the real deal but the way you hit long balls feels like wii golf and I can see myself hurting my arm :(

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zet posted:

Does anyone get the VR sickness/nausea feeling after playing? I hadn't VR walked in awhile but now I don't feel that dizziness immediately, but my stomach has been feeling a little nauseous lately and I'm not sure if I need to attribute that to VR or something else.

I find that when I get motion sickness, I can usually only tell because I'll start to get cold sweats while playing. Then afterwards, my stomach will feel a bit upset. I think it's likely that it started while you were playing, but it was mild enough that you couldn't quite tell. Or you could just have an upset stomach.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

explosivo posted:

I'm not really feeling Golf+. I did the driving range with the YouTube screen and I'm probably going to keep the game because of that but I don't really like the way it feels to play, I dunno. Putting can feel satisfyingly close to the real deal but the way you hit long balls feels like wii golf and I can see myself hurting my arm :(

I think it might be the lack of weight, in which case you could buy an attachment for the controller which I heard can help.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I've only put in a few scant hours into VR, and haven't experienced any motion sickness, which I am thankful for. Although, when I activated fly mode in Walkabout minigolf, I did get a sense of vertigo. That kind of feeling you get when you approach the edge of a drop and your body tries to correct itself so you don't fall down.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

thanks for the answers above, folks! I'm a bit closer to understanding what I'm doing now at least.

Also good tip on the Vader Immortal dojo, it's a lot more fun than the main game.

As for the referral link, I have discovered two very sad things:

1. It's region locked for some loving reason so I can't use a US referral; and
2. the factory reset loophole was patched out a few days ago and no longer works if you've previously reached the stage of linking a facebook account to your device.

rip

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

thanks for the answers above, folks! I'm a bit closer to understanding what I'm doing now at least.

Also good tip on the Vader Immortal dojo, it's a lot more fun than the main game.

As for the referral link, I have discovered two very sad things:

1. It's region locked for some loving reason so I can't use a US referral; and
2. the factory reset loophole was patched out a few days ago and no longer works if you've previously reached the stage of linking a facebook account to your device.

rip

I could give you a EU referral although point 2 makes me think it wouldn't work?

ed:
Everslaught has an update with new stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFxgYt4w6o4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/handphysicslab/status/1475126547279495170?s=21