Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mysteries are stored in the middle button of the ball mouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the third button was a decoy to stop you discovering the hidden fourth button

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

mysteries are stored in the middle button of the ball mouse

a-

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Sweevo posted:

the third button was a decoy to stop you discovering the hidden fourth button

Oh, you mean when you tilt your mouse wheel left or right?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
scuzzy disk

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
On Acorns (RiscOS) the middle button was the context menu and used more. The right button was similar to the left button but behaved how it does in Windows if you're holding the control key (selecting/deselecting items in a set).

Individual applications would also make use of all three buttons since they were guaranteed to be present and users were primed to using them.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
iMac puck mice with one dumb rear end button.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i don’t mean modern 3 buttons i meant like a logitech mouseman for AT compatable pcs, ones which used an aopen motherboard and an s3 video card

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

shoeberto posted:

iMac puck mice with one dumb rear end button.

if there had been a yospos apple thread then, the posters in it would have defended it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

gabensraum posted:

On Acorns (RiscOS) the middle button was the context menu and used more. The right button was similar to the left button but behaved how it does in Windows if you're holding the control key (selecting/deselecting items in a set).

Individual applications would also make use of all three buttons since they were guaranteed to be present and users were primed to using them.

oh my god riscOS that's what we had at my school and why I remembered 3 button mice from about 10 years before I ever saw one anywhere else

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Wild EEPROM posted:

i don’t mean modern 3 buttons i meant like a logitech mouseman for AT compatable pcs, ones which used an aopen motherboard and an s3 video card

Application defined under Windows. Can't remember if OS/2 presentation manager had a default but probably not (could be used for hotkeys/chording) since it was kept close to windows. I think the default for Unix was paste.

When you say AT compatible... Your talking about the form factor right? Not like an IBM PC/AT?

edit: middle mouse was usually double click on OS/2.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 27, 2021

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

oh my god riscOS that's what we had at my school and why I remembered 3 button mice from about 10 years before I ever saw one anywhere else

U can run it for free on a pi one, two, three, or zero. I really dig the ability to fall into a full screen basic interpreter.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Progressive JPEG posted:

web-safe colors

rofl

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Speaking of school computers, Ontario had these really lovely Unisys ICON computers they’d dumped a bunch of money into. Wikipedia tells me they ran proto-QNX and they were around from like 1982 or something but I’m pretty sure I didn’t see them in my school until probably 1990.

All I remember was they had some weird game where you built a robot, though Wikipedia also tells me that much like everything ever produced in Canada they had some weird “heritage” stuff about fur trading and apparently driving around Canada in a pickup truck :confused:

bad computer

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i had a game for amiga that was called something like Robo[war?]

you had some robots and you programmed them like xcom (go to this place, then watch and shoot, etc). it was a lot of fun. dunno if it was canadian

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The whole system was built for the Ontario ministry of education so I guarantee you it’s a hundred times blander than anything you might be thinking of

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

this was a game with a box

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Martytoof posted:

much like everything ever produced in Canada they had some weird “heritage” stuff about fur trading and apparently driving around Canada in a pickup truck :confused:

cross country canada owns actually

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Crosscountry_Canada_1991

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
That's a game? Looks like an attempt to use schoolchildren to brute force the traveling poutine salesman problem. Like the plot of toys, but for canadian light industry.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It’s like Oregon Trail except instead of dying of dysentery you die of boredom

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Martytoof posted:

Hearty lol

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

we played cross country canada in school in the early 90s. it was boring then, too.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

oregon trail deluxe for macos 8 is the canonical oregon trail

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

carry on then posted:

oregon trail deluxe for macos 8 is the canonical oregon trail

No it’s the one for the apple ][

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Martytoof posted:

canada has a rich history of accurate video game simulations of itself

Captain Foo posted:

:hai:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Captain Foo posted:

Sorry but this is the correct answer

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

good god you all are old

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

carry on then posted:

good god you all are old

it beats the alternative.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Martytoof posted:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

carry on then posted:

good god you all are old

hi welcome to yospos, nice to finally have you here.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I just got the rank of trail guide on the ibm dos version. Astoundingly all I did was make adult deciscions and my entire family made it to oregon alive.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I just got the rank of trail guide on the ibm dos version. Astoundingly all I did was make adult deciscions and my entire family made it to oregon alive.

you were in your forties when you played it though

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

carry on then posted:

good god you all are old

sounds like you pressed return

to size up the situation

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
i graduated from oregon trail to playing MDK on the classroom’s imac during recess in grade school :hellyeah:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the apple ii version is indeed the canonical one. I spent more hours on a fancier mac classic version, but the green characters come to my mind first

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i started out on the c64 version, which was nowhere as good looking as the apple ii release.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

the macos version is better

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

PCjr sidecar posted:

the macos version is better

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Captain Foo posted:

sounds like you pressed return

to size up the situation
This made me laugh so much harder than it should have. Thank you.

Achmed Jones posted:

you were in your forties when you played it though

I remember playing it in grade school in the computer lab on apple 2s. Kid me was dumb as hell. Rivers 8 feet deep, 200 feet wide? Hmm, let's ford. Queue third grader surprise and panic when the wagon floods.

One kid figured out you could move around while hunting and it was like he'd independently discovered general relativity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the version of oregon trail i played had you doing a hunting minigame where you clicked on the bison and they fell over

and shooting anything beyond the first one was literally pointless because you could only carry so much meat back to the caravan, but you still did it anyway because what else are you gonna do?