Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Stare-Out posted:

Larry in the doctor's office with Loretta trying to act like a lovely boyfriend.

One of my favorite scenes, hands down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

a new study bible! posted:

Larry successfully cashing in the Jew card with the videographer was very good.

Yup. Giving Larry the seldom win is a brilliant way to keep the show fresh.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

christmas boots posted:

I don't know, I mean I think it's perfectly legitimate that he got canned from the Goldbergs for that behavior. But unless he's being that way on the set of Curb, I don't really have any strong feelings about whether or not Larry should fire him.

Like I agree his behavior was lovely, but I'm not sure I think it's "fire him from everything" lovely. But that's just my .02.

E: Just based off that article, that is. If there's crazier stuff then idk

I'm guessing that the set of Curb is quite a bit different than a network family sitcom like The Goldbergs. Not only because Curb deals in much racier material....but also because the cast is made up heavily of comedians. I would also guess that Garlin wouldn't get away with being an rear end in a top hat on either set....but the cast and crew of Curb are probably more likely to decipher between jokes and satire and Garlin acting like a jerk.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Garlin being so irritating that the cast celebrated him getting fired sounds like a Curb plot

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I was thinking they might do a whole story about it like they did with Michael Richards

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Hader stuff was too goofy.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
The Milan to Minsk callback was appreciated. Tracey Ullman is so amazingly funn and gross in this character.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 20, 2021

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020

mcmagic posted:

The Hader stuff was too goofy.

Agreed
I love Bill Hader but it felt too slapstick for the show
edit: Hader autocorrected to Harder

LemonLimeSoda fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Dec 21, 2021

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Kind of felt like Hader was doing his best Fred Armisen impressions impression.

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth
It was interesting to see Vagina take such a prominent role in this episode.

Also, lol @ Larry peeking under the bed.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I really did not like the Bill Hader bits. I would have preferred that they write him straight or at least not in a throw away SNL skit character

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That was perfect in every way.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The entire premise of the season that if Larry gets the pool fence ordnance repealed Maria Sofia’s father can’t sue him makes no sense. The guy died while the ordnance was in force. This was bothering me.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
"Jjust hang around with dumb people."

That was a great finale.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

mcmagic posted:

The entire premise of the season that if Larry gets the pool fence ordnance repealed Maria Sofia’s father can’t sue him makes no sense. The guy died while the ordnance was in force. This was bothering me.

Maybe it would work in California, but you're probably right. It would be an example of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex_post_facto_law

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Such a good season. Leon was on fire and Ullman was a brilliant addition.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What a loving roller coaster - goddamn, this is a top tier season!!!

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Ted Danson looks terrifying in a bald cap

great episode

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

God drat I laughed hard when larry's eyes went to those shoes.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The second I saw the pile of shoes in the establishing shot I was like, “oh gently caress Larry - you won’t!”

The only thing I didn’t like was the Mary Ferguson thing of being so enamoured with that guy she totally screws Leon. But I suppose someone going on a random trip cause of their name isn’t the best person.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The whole mormon thing didn't really go anywhere which was odd since it was the title of the episode and all. But a minor thing in an otherwise great episode.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

The only thing I didn’t like was the Mary Ferguson thing of being so enamoured with that guy she totally screws Leon. But I suppose someone going on a random trip cause of their name isn’t the best person.

Yeah the veneration of Vindman (that sounds likes a terrible movie title) as the biggest hero in the world was ridiculous but it fits with the stereotype of liberal hollywood so it still worked. Overall a solid ending to a great season. I like Larry's imagining of how the whole thing was going to end up.. And of course Larry looking over at the pile of shoes was the peak of the season. Genius.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

mcmagic posted:

A shameful lapse from the man who so clearly understood Good Samaritan laws

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

mcmagic posted:

I thought for sure this was gonna be how Larry gets his comeuppance in the end. But what actually happened was good too, though it's a little unsatisfying that we don't actually get to see what happened.

Stare-Out posted:

The whole mormon thing didn't really go anywhere which was odd since it was the title of the episode and all. But a minor thing in an otherwise great episode.

I mean, the Mormon thing was the entire reason Larry had to make his perfect phone call, so I wouldn't say it went nowhere.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ChesterJT posted:

Yeah the veneration of Vindman (that sounds likes a terrible movie title) as the biggest hero in the world was ridiculous but it fits with the stereotype of liberal hollywood so it still worked. Overall a solid ending to a great season. I like Larry's imagining of how the whole thing was going to end up.. And of course Larry looking over at the pile of shoes was the peak of the season. Genius.

Larry IS a shitlib so that didn't surprise me......

https://twitter.com/solid_jews/status/1227265704501678080

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 28, 2021

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
At 9pm Eastern, a Super Dave documentary goes up on HBO. The trailer looked good.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

At 9pm Eastern, a Super Dave documentary goes up on HBO. The trailer looked good.

gently caress yes, thank you for spreading the word. Rip Super Dave

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

still catching up on the season, but mr takahashi getting the umbrella in the end of ep 5 got me real good. also enjoyed the one with the tiny chauffer. not a good look at all.

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth
Season 12's over arching plot should be about Jeff getting cancelled.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

finished the season last night, really enjoyed it. i think the back half was a lot stronger—something even felt a little off in the first few eps and I'm still not able to figure out why that was exactly, but i think it really came together. tracely ullman loving killed it, and those last four eps were as good as the shows ever been

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

even the vase gag was really funny aside from Bill Hader's performance. Larry's reaction to the whole thing was very funny

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Caught up tonight and finished the season. A few thoughts:

The shoe thing felt like Larry deliberately trying to top dry cleaning the klan robe. Wow. (And of course, the guy who seems to obsess almost every week about the loss or damage of some piece of clothing, that just happens to be his absolute favorite and utterly irreplaceable, has no problem just throwing his shoes away immediately. Thank God it wasn't a sweater.)

I liked the season overall even though the pool law thing never made sense and the plot with the bad actress was more uncomfortable than funny. It did cross my mind watching the finale that the real-life actress playing the bad actress is probably very good, and I hope she gets more work. What a strange role that would be to audition for and play.

I'd bet anyone :10bux: that Ullman gets an Emmy nom for episode 8, and will probably win. Beloved star doing a great performance in a great episode of a beloved sitcom. That's bait. Good for her.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I thought this was easily the worst season but even "bad" Curb is like a B-minus. Ullman was great obviously.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i preferred it to the fatwa season

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Ranked the seasons from best to worst (imo)

Season 2
Season 4
Season 6
Season 1
Season 3
Season 5
Season 7
Season 8
Season 11
Season 10
Season 9

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
For me it's

6&8 I like about the same

Although ultimately I'd put it all as great television, except for 9-10 which are just pretty good.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Surprised people are ranking 10 so low, all the Mocha Joe stuff was incredible. This wasn't one of the stronger seasons partly 'cause the central conceit was not that funny. I wish they maybe had focused more on the production of Young Larry.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I watched the entire series for the first time this last year, one episode a day with lunch for a few months. For my money every season had some fantastic episodes, and even episodes that didn't land with me had a few funny parts.

One thing I will say is that the last few seasons have a modern, almost slick directorial style that occasionally feels at odds with what's happening in the show. Think about the early episode where Larry and Richard Lewis awkwardly grapple in the doorway of the jewelry store. The camera almost struggles to keep the movement in frame. Both the moment and the presentation are clunky, which weirdly works. Now think about the episode where Larry and the limo driver awkwardly grapple over the bags. The camera swoops around expertly on a tracking shot, and everything is so neatly composed that the awkwardness of what's happening feels relatively artificial.

That's just one example, and most scenes work perfectly fine.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh drat - that's it. :( Christ, I thought there was more to explore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Season 8 is my number one. It has The Bisexual and Palestinian Chicken, the loving ridiculous Car Periscope, and the final episode has Greg, the flamboyant fashion kid.