Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

for one of my projects in grad school i had to thread 25 um tungsten wire in to a 50 um silica capillary opening. when i started i had to use a microscope and it took me forever. after a year or so of doing it i could do it by feel alone. i was visiting a year or so later and another grad student was trying to do something similar under a microscope. i threaded it by hand and she thought it was magic. it's crazy what can be done by people that are skilled when it comes to small stuff.

you can buy linear translation stages that'll do < 30 nm movements (useful for moving things like diffraction gratings etc). gearing is awesome

that plek machine is insane. engineering owns

e: here's a track i 'finished' yesterday. https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/experimentation

just messing around with a bunch of sounds and weird stuff. It's kind of coherent?

e2: lmao i just noticed a note got stuck on at the end. oh well whatever

Woolwich Bagnet fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i got a behringer td3 and it owns. i'm trying to connect it via midi to my launchkey mini to just kinda liveplay it and can't figure it out. everything's on channel 1, i can set it to midi source and have tried every ppq setting. how do i make it play a note when i hit a button on the midi keyboard?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

fwiw it works fine driving it over usb in ableton. but for some reason not via midi from launchkey. i'm wondering if i have a busted trs to din adapter or something

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

make sure the pin outs on it are correct, no internal connection faults, and maybe scope it to make sure it's sending the right stuff?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

turns out my trs midi was type b instead of type a. i tried converting it but it didn't work. idk if there's some deeper problem or i just messed up the soldering or wiring

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Craigslist Boxing Day Score

picked this up from an old nashville session guitarist. its Nothing But Stompboxes. like 104 of them. no amp sims no cab IR poo poo just the ultimate floor pedal. having a lot of fun trying everything out, it's got some pretty wicked poo poo, lots of synth pedals and such. you get four 'slots' per scene. hit the A, B, or C pedal for each slot to switch to the pedal you've set up there. so you get any 4 out of 12 possible, and there are 12 scenes. And there's no deliberate saving type stuff, it autosaves every time so you don't have to worry about losing your preset if you fiddled with it and switched to something else.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

anyone know what is the best way to generate sound using plugins (vst) on arm64 (raspbian) without needing a gui environment?

first thing that comes to mind is supercollider, though i am pretty sure vsts are not supported there

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

probably the best shot is just to run reaper with any supported plugins i guess

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
renoise has a full api and works on linux idk if its got arm support tho

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

Craigslist Boxing Day Score

picked this up from an old nashville session guitarist. its Nothing But Stompboxes. like 104 of them. no amp sims no cab IR poo poo just the ultimate floor pedal. having a lot of fun trying everything out, it's got some pretty wicked poo poo, lots of synth pedals and such. you get four 'slots' per scene. hit the A, B, or C pedal for each slot to switch to the pedal you've set up there. so you get any 4 out of 12 possible, and there are 12 scenes. And there's no deliberate saving type stuff, it autosaves every time so you don't have to worry about losing your preset if you fiddled with it and switched to something else.

genuinely considering dropping money on something like this. I have an old-rear end boss effects unit but it's a bit noisy (though not quite cheap no-name amazon pedals noisy) and you can't turn individual pedals on and off, just switch through presets with a pair of spongey up/down switches.

more importantly though I need a proper noise suppressor pedal so I can do a noise suppression stage both at the front end to kill mains hum (I really gotta track down what's causing directional hum on my main guitar and fix it for good) and in the effects loop to deal with the angry preamp hissing of a cranked Mark V

also gonna go through some ableton live tutorials over the holidays. I have a midi keyboard and want to learn how to program drums and stuff so I can write some tunes

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Penisface posted:

anyone know what is the best way to generate sound using plugins (vst) on arm64 (raspbian) without needing a gui environment?

first thing that comes to mind is supercollider, though i am pretty sure vsts are not supported there

fwiw if x86 is required for it, in theory you could run x86 on there with emulation via qemu and binfmt-misc but tbh it'd probably be too slow to work properly

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Penisface posted:

do you really want vsts? theres options like https://zynthian.org/ too

e: looks like it supports something called LV2 plugin architecture which is like an oss vst thing https://www.audiopluginsforfree.com/linux/lv2/

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

do you really want vsts? theres options like https://zynthian.org/ too

e: looks like it supports something called LV2 plugin architecture which is like an oss vst thing https://www.audiopluginsforfree.com/linux/lv2/

vsts are not mandatory

ideally i want to run generative pure data patches on my raspi and pipe them into icecast so i have a diy source of some ambient noises

the problem with pure data is that it will take a lot of effort to do sound design with standard effects like delay, reverb, cabinet simulation (and all the other stuff i use in ableton live at the moment). if i could have a headless daw platform that runs some of the vsts, i can speed my project up by not having to dyi things in pure data, even though there is a lot of stuff shared in the pd community

i would rather spend my time building the generative melodies logic and algorithms

i need to check out this zynthian thing, thanks for sharing

comedy option: there is a diy multitimbral synth that is super easy to make and sounds magical. if i could build that one and hook it up dedicatedly to the raspi as a sound source, then that would solve a lot of trouble
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvS6mL7EvP0

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
got my Latitude in, wipe, reinstall, jammed buncha music software on. Installed a couple of the neural dsp amp models i have. they sound realgood

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
blast off

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and its started chronically bluescreening at login. lmao. i'm throwing it in the garbage and buying another mac, i can't have live shows being run on such a loving flimsy garbage platform

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

I was having trouble with my NI komplete audio usb
interface with my mbp, it wouldn’t see it, and you can’t even get drivers for it, etc etc. I was thinking same kind of thought, imagine relying on this to work live and then it doesn’t..

turns out the plug into the audio interface was not plugged in properly 🤦

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I just discovered the time signature function in Reaper. It's kinda neat. But I think my Beatstep Pro might be locked to 4/4 just because of how sequencers work... are there ways around this?

https://alonetone.com/spacehoers/tracks/two-dollars (done without my trusty Beatstep Pro)

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 28, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my sequencer in some ways it totally time signature agnostic, it just plays each seq and when the seq is finished it restarts

the important part being you can reduce individual sequence lengths down from 16 to whatever to achieve your goals

i’d be surprised if you couldn’t, these things are generally made for musicians with different needs

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

just finished something that i got the inspiration for the day before christmas

wanted to work more with chords, and make something more emotive, and this was the result. as a bonus it would actually be playable by people! simply piano, violin, and cello. title comes from the end of the piece

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/on-the-border-of-a-dream

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
okay i took one more crack at this dell. turns out there's a known issue where the latest auto-installed video driver just is bluescreeny as gently caress and doesn't do stack traces or dumps so you aren't aware what's going on. i just followed some convoluted rear end instructions to install a driver from feb 2020 and the machine is up and running fine. so yeah i got a lil music laptop. Now time to spend another 4 hours reinstalling all the poo poo i did last night cause i tried a flatten/reload this morning before I figured it out. yay

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

didnt you already order a macbook to replace it?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
naw i was blazed when i typed that, i slept on it and decided to fix or yeet this morning. Gonna prime95 it for a day straight and if it holds up, i'll give it another shot.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

every time i buy a new laptop i end up returning it a week later because it isn't a macbook air. everything about them just always feel 'off'

ive held off on getting one though because i hate the idea of both ram AND storage being soldered on to the board with no way to upgrade. i bought this one in 2013 with a 256 gb ssd and now it has a 1 tb. i'd really be feeling that lack of space today if i couldn't have upgraded it. the 13" form factor with the huge touchpad and light weight is just so perfect. i dont feel like i have to baby it either. i toss it on my couch or bed all the time and it's just fine. that and never having to hear fans. it has one, but it basically never turns on.

what i do know is that i never want one with a discreet graphics card. just too much noise and heat.

e: the only thing i'd change about this particular one is the god awful display. 1366x768 and not flicker free. i can see it flicker on a lot of webpages and it's really annoying. also if ive been using it late at night and close my eyes in darkness i can see the residual flicker

Woolwich Bagnet fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 28, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, i can see that. i'm already going to order the 1TB hynix p31 or whatever the top rated SSD is for low power for this thing, it can do gen 2.0 nvme so that'll still be plenty fast. if i was stuck to soldered on stuff i'd probably flip out in this particular situation. Related: I'll be back in 45 minutes once Waves Platinum finishes installing.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

got the new trs->midi cable and it works. holy poo poo this little synth just got way more fun

once i get my office set up (see cjs) it's gonna be so rad

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
midi is good and fun to mess with. i got my music laptop battery in and currently testing its runtime

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Achmed Jones posted:

got the new trs->midi cable and it works. holy poo poo this little synth just got way more fun

once i get my office set up (see cjs) it's gonna be so rad

welcome to acid knob twiddling, you’ll find a way to include it in everything whether it belongs there or not

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
man somebody over in ML got a squier paranormal super-sonic and im kind of obsessed with it.
its just so weird

no guitars for a while tho

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

man tbh i don't think i'll ever need another electric guitar since i got my j mascis jazzmaster. that's not to say that i won't ever buy another one, just that i won't need it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i need to do that bridge replacement on my real old one and do a fret job on my ibanez before i get anything else. ive been loving my little lovely tele lately

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFop1gTbaj8

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/etthq/status/1478901715466215425?s=21

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://soundcloud.com/rodtronics/the-line-up2

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

trs->midi cable

that's just one of those cables which works because only 2 pins of a MIDI cable are really used in most gear? i.e. it is just a physical adapter, no fancy magic tricks?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

by the way, this year is weeklybeats year https://weeklybeats.com/, if you want to get on the train of doing a track each week and showing it to others. even doing it some weeks is fine too really

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Penisface posted:

that's just one of those cables which works because only 2 pins of a MIDI cable are really used in most gear? i.e. it is just a physical adapter, no fancy magic tricks?

Ayup. midi's unidirectional TTL serial in a current loop at 31250 bps or whatever

in theory if both the power supplies were pretty tolerant you wouldn't even need the 'midi current source' and could do them with mono 3.5mm cables

e: stupid transparent image. you get the idea tho.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the midi thing I got I realise now is just an arduino shield, and I get it that I only need two pins per port but it has in and out (and thru) and so I’ll have to do something somehow to determine what pins are in and out

midi ain’t too complicated is it?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

midi ain’t too complicated is it?

i still don’t understand sysex but neither does anyone at ableton or bitwig apparently

dave smith is kind enough to put references in the back of the manual but how the hell am i supposed to read them or even send messages like that, c’mon

or should i fire up borland c 4.5 for dos and bitbash stuff across some serial port

i’d really appreciate an eli5 for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
Has anyone here used NINJAM? I've gotten it set up for a few of my friends and it's been great even though I have so much more I want to accomplish in terms of jamming and improvising.