Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Breakthrough is alright on some maps. It's good on hourglass where one section is a 3 flag conquest mode which is fairly large. This let's you have a vehicle if you want.

On orbital, and kaleidoscope its very constrained and you may never get a chance at a tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

dog nougat posted:

Yeah, I've only been killed by them like once or twice and think I'm still at 0 kills with them. They despawn on death, so they're really not all that great. Now if they didn't, I'm sure in 128p modes everything would be a drat minefield.

I am 99% sure they didn't despawn on death for a few patches, because I got a bunch of kills with them. I would drop them somewhere, die, respawn with another loadout and then randomly get a notification I got a few kills with them.

But update 3 or maybe even 2 changed that and now they are a lot more work to use. :rip:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Something is real wonky with matchmaking because I barely ever see some maps, Orbital in particular

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mines despawning on death is loving stupid. It used to be that way in BF4 til they patched them to persist.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I am 99% sure they didn't despawn on death for a few patches, because I got a bunch of kills with them. I would drop them somewhere, die, respawn with another loadout and then randomly get a notification I got a few kills with them.

But update 3 or maybe even 2 changed that and now they are a lot more work to use. :rip:

They still sometimes last after a death, but they usually despawn quickly thereafter. They're mostly impractical though. I run Angel with a mine-specific loadout and I occasionally use it on defense, drop the mines, then switch to something more useful. Still mostly not worth it.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Lol I started loving around with mines and just camping outside the enemy spawn with angel on renewal. Got 6 vehicles, gonna take forever to grind any sort of mastery with the mines.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Fighting vehicles feels useless in this game. You destroy a bolter, and has you see the XP scroll on your screen another bolter roll and kill you.

They would have to give the player something like 7 mines for them to be of any use.

Anyway in a game where people can fly and use explosives, maybe the idea of mines is kind of overrated.

I wish the game where more.... defined. Like if the game really had a APC vehicle with good defense and speed but almost not weapons. Or people where allowed to spawn in any friendly vehicle. That would turn vehicles into a strategic asset and destroying them into a important role.

Experimenting with things like that could unfuck the formula.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tei posted:

Fighting vehicles feels useless in this game. You destroy a bolter, and has you see the XP scroll on your screen another bolter roll and kill you.

They would have to give the player something like 7 mines for them to be of any use.

Anyway in a game where people can fly and use explosives, maybe the idea of mines is kind of overrated.

I wish the game where more.... defined. Like if the game really had a APC vehicle with good defense and speed but almost not weapons. Or people where allowed to spawn in any friendly vehicle. That would turn vehicles into a strategic asset and destroying them into a important role.

Experimenting with things like that could unfuck the formula.

Literally the MAV.

e: also you can spawn into any allied vehicle

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 27, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ytlaya posted:

I can't put my finger on what it is about BF5 that just looks significantly better visually to me than BF2042. Like just regular graphics, not even talking about the interface (though the interface is certainly better).

Skyarb posted:

2042 has always felt insanely "flat" to me. BFV feels very lived in at least
Yeah it's the difference in environmental detail

https://v.redd.it/jd5iwcpf26481/DASH_1080.mp4

However do note how it's a million times easier to see enemies in 2042

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Literally the MAV.

The MAV has a pretty killer weapon loadout though

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tei posted:

Or people where allowed to spawn in any friendly vehicle. That would turn vehicles into a strategic asset and destroying them into a important role.

Now thats a good idea.
Take that map thats half green/half desert with the choke point at C1 (bad with map names, only remember Orbital for some reason).
Everyone gets a land vehicle, no air at all. Maybe only 5 tanks per side max, rest lower ones.
That poo poo would be a blast to play.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
You'll never have that large a number of vehicles sadly, the engine apparently flat out cannot handle much more than we already get per map, except El Alamein which let's you have a shitload of tanks, but that's only because the map is utterly barren with no destructible structures, no props, no anything but terrain and some rocks. The Vehicle TDM mode is a loving joke in that regard, each team still has a 1/2 vehicle per category limit, and that can't be changed. Oh also the AI doesn't work and won't leave spawn.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Hot Diggity! posted:

I barely ever see some maps, Orbital in particular

quit bragging

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

jisforjosh posted:

The MAV has a pretty killer weapon loadout though

Compared to the transports, sure. It's worse than both other vehicles in the same category though.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55om1XyqsaE

BF:antichamber lookin good.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I finally installed and played BFV yesterday. Very fun game, I enjoyed it a lot. Makes the steps backwards they took with a lot of 2042 features even more regrettable.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

happyhippy posted:

Now thats a good idea.
Take that map thats half green/half desert with the choke point at C1 (bad with map names, only remember Orbital for some reason).
Everyone gets a land vehicle, no air at all. Maybe only 5 tanks per side max, rest lower ones.
That poo poo would be a blast to play.

See? this why some people say the game has a lot of unrealiced potential.

what a weird bug. moving a crate looks like something simple, but this bug uncovers that it involve something actually quite complex and weird

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Tei posted:

this bug uncovers that it involve something actually quite complex and weird

This has been the motto of the Frostbite engine since it's inception

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the moving cargo can involves an invisible running soldier with a giraffe neck

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Ashrik posted:

I finally installed and played BFV yesterday. Very fun game, I enjoyed it a lot. Makes the steps backwards they took with a lot of 2042 features even more regrettable.

A lot of those backward steps were in BFVs launch too. Dice seems determined to make the same mistakes every launch, and then a few new ones on top.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 27, 2021

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

comedyblissoption posted:

the moving cargo can involves an invisible running soldier with a giraffe neck

I suspect the interior of some buildings is actually portalized below ground. If you accidentally spawn below ground in Caleidoscope theres water, and deep in the water theres what looks like a building.

but why do the same for a crate?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I don't understand why a remake of 2142 with modern shooting mechanics and graphics is so hard to make, tbh.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

I don't understand why a remake of 2142 with modern shooting mechanics and graphics is so hard to make, tbh.

EA/DICE is afraid of futuristic shooters because they killed Titanfall 2 in the cradle with a terrible release date; launching a week after Battlefield 1 and a week before Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. They also saw how Infinite Warfare underperformed sales expectations for a CoD title and wrongly thought it was due to it being a futuristic setting.

EA/DICE is going to take the negative reception to BF2042 and blame it on the futuristic setting lol

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

EA/DICE is afraid of futuristic shooters because they killed Titanfall 2 in the cradle with a terrible release date; launching a week after Battlefield 1 and a week before Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. They also saw how Infinite Warfare underperformed sales expectations for a CoD title and wrongly thought it was due to it being a futuristic setting.

EA/DICE is going to take the negative reception to BF2042 and blame it on the futuristic setting lol

They should have just worked on portal and portal alone. No 2042, no hazard zone. Portal should have included all previous titles and let people create whatever the gently caress gamemodes with no restrictions and there you go, you have longevity and you can still sell cosmetics across the different time periods.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The United States posted:

Yeah it's the difference in environmental detail

https://v.redd.it/jd5iwcpf26481/DASH_1080.mp4

However do note how it's a million times easier to see enemies in 2042

Yowzers

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A full effort, reasonably balanced mixed-era Battlefield game would do well imo

I couldn't be less interested in playing the Garry's Mod bullshit though

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

jisforjosh posted:

It's like the least futuristic setting though? Outside of regular climate events, the most futuristic part of it is that we get C5 instead of C4, which I assume is just the 5G of plastic explosive.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

It's like the least futuristic setting though? Outside of regular climate events, the most futuristic part of it is that we get C5 instead of C4, which I assume is just the 5G of plastic explosive.

Hey man the AK-12 evolved into an AK-24, the PP-19 Bizon into a PP-29,and the 870 MCS morphed into an MCS 880.

I know the game isn't futuristic, but it's AAA gaming as hell to have a product fail to live up publisher expectations, learn the wrong lessons from it, and shitcan the series/developer.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I will go to my grave before I physically speak the word C5.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Mega Comrade posted:

A lot of those backward steps were in BFVs launch too. Dice seems determined to make the same mistakes every launch, and then a few new ones on top.

Bfv had poo poo launch maps and terrible weapon balance but was much much much better than 2042's launch

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Skyarb posted:

Bfv had poo poo launch maps and terrible weapon balance but was much much much better than 2042's launch

Who got mad enough in this thread to buy you that title lmao

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

jisforjosh posted:

Lmao gamers.txt. gamers are insanely fragile babies

I'll wear it with pride.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Skyarb posted:

I thought you didn't play BF5 until a few months ago?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

jisforjosh posted:

It doesn't even make sense since he's talking about how bad 2042 is right? Am I missing something?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Skyarb posted:

Lmao gamers.txt. gamers are insanely fragile babies

I'm sure it's that and not that you have almost 250 posts complaining about a game you claim to hate and not play

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Chronojam posted:

It doesn't even make sense since he's talking about how bad 2042 is right? Am I missing something?

Yeah I don't get it either :shrug:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I thought you didn't play BF5 until a few months ago?

Yup, but everything I heard about launch was poo poo maps and weapon balance. If you know why it launched worse than 2042 that could be interesting but in terms of bugs, performance, hit reg, etc, I never heard much about those things during bfv launch, at least remotely compared to the shitshow that is 2042..

Skyarb fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 27, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Tei posted:

what a weird bug. moving a crate looks like something simple, but this bug uncovers that it involve something actually quite complex and weird
BF4: elevators are weird teleportals that can occasionally screw up

BF2042: elevators are now correctly physically simulated, it's shipping containers that are now weird teleportals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWWuDOB9J4k&t=554s

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

jisforjosh posted:

This has been the motto of the Frostbite engine since it's inception

Game development in general. Most game engines are held together with hacks and sticky tape.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Think i saw my first cheater yesterday. Guy in a frozen pose, gliding across the landscape not taking any damage. Could kill anyone, but not be killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry-Alphs
Feb 24, 2019

toggle posted:

Think i saw my first cheater yesterday. Guy in a frozen pose, gliding across the landscape not taking any damage. Could kill anyone, but not be killed.

Had some other players say it's them being desynced from the rest of the server. Had it happen with an enemy a few days ago where they got blown up next to their Bolte and then suddenly stopped taking damage.