Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Sonderval posted:

If nothing else Invasion gave us the least likeable character of 2021, US army soldier man. rear end in a top hat to everyone he meets, shouting, confrontational, constantly threatening with his gun. Even his “redemption/explanation” ark at the end made him out as an rear end in a top hat. gently caress that guy.

Don't forget he's nice because people say he's nice, we never actually see him do a nice thing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

BigPaddy posted:

The Jon Stewart thing was weird, like he wanted to make Last Week Tonight but kind of half arsed it.

The issue I find with it is that Jon Stewart is a man from the 2000s trying to take on politics in a 2020s world. The politics that gave us "Rally to Restore Sanity" was running long in the tooth in 2010, and is just baffling today. Being a "well hearted liberal" doesn't work in the world where virtually nobody is on board "The End of History." Even Jon Oliver has gradually morphed to becoming an aggressive progressive type.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
FYI there is a 5 minute Ted Lasso holiday claymation episode available. It's silly but has a couple good jokes.

Roy's eyebrows.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
:siren:Hi All. Just jumping in the thread to remind everyone that our 2021 edition of the TVIV Poll is now open for submissions. We'd love to hear about your favourite shows of the year, and you might discover a new favourite while you're there. You can find the 10th Annual TVIV Viewers Poll there.

Didn't watch much 2021 TV? Never fear! To celebrate the fact that the poll has been going for 10 years, we're also running a Best TV shows of the last decade poll as well. Whether you lament the current TV landscape, just don't have time to watch much TV these days, or just love talking about your favourite shows, please jump in the thread and provide your lists.

The more people we have participating, the better it is for everyone! Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions.
:siren:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Vote for Ted Lasso s2 if you weren’t one of those weird heathens who hated it! The campaign begins now!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I finally watched the last episode of Invasion (well, let it play in the background while doing other stuff) and by god, that soldier guy is so annoying. I literally shouted "shut the gently caress up" at my TV at one point.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Escobarbarian posted:

Vote for Ted Lasso s2 if you weren’t one of those weird heathens who hated it! The campaign begins now!

i just finished both seasons of Ted Lasso now because I didn't know we had apple tv until my wife told me we did 2 weeks ago.

It's very good and i don't know poo poo or care about soccer football

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The Nastier Nate posted:

i just finished both seasons of Ted Lasso now because I didn't know we had apple tv until my wife told me we did 2 weeks ago.

It's very good and i don't know poo poo or care about soccer football

You and Ted are both aligned on one point at least!

I’m in the same boat and also massively enjoyed it. You have quite an appropriate username for it too.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Red Oktober posted:

You and Ted are both aligned on one point at least!

I’m in the same boat and also massively enjoyed it. You have quite an appropriate username for it too.

The soft spoken mousey underappreacited but bitter Nate is basically the Indian me

Also the themes of therapy and divorce really hit me in a way that most tv normally don’t

SS tier tv, can’t wait for the 3rd season

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Oh hey an Apple TV+ thread. My free year subscription is ending soon, figure I give quick reviews for what I watched.

Loved, would renew my subscription for these

"Ted Lasso" - Can't say much others haven't already said. Best feel-good comedy I've seen in years

"For All Mankind" - I am so happy that sci-fi seems to be making a comeback on TV. I absolutely love this show and can't wait to see how sci-fi it gets in season 3. The alt-history stuff is cool too.

"Mythic Quest" - I went into this blind and loved it. I felt that season 2 was a little uneven compared to 1, but nothing that can't be fixed or re-worked in season 3.

Good, not great

"Schmigadoon!" - I wasn't sure what to expect, but I had fun with this. A musical-comedy series is definitely a genre that doesn't get a lot of love. It help's this is an easy binge

"Dickenson" - Lots of people seem to love this, but after 3 episodes it wasn't grabbing me. I can see the potential though, and whenever I renew I would give this another shot

Shows I did not like

"The Morning Show" - This is the show apple had spent all their money and marketing on, and it shows from the talent and production values. But goddamn is the writing all the bad about Sorkin turned up to 10. I was actually starting to enjoy Season 1 about halfway through, but then the finale was so ridiculous I laughed it off. I didn't bother with Season 2.

"Foundation" - Has the similar problems as Morning Show. All the money, actors, and production values are there but the writing is....yeesh. Starts off promising enough, but by the end I just didn't care about a single character or even the world they are building. No idea how faithful this is to the source material, and no idea if a Season 2 can be any better.

Feature Films

"Boys State" - Go Steven Go. :smith:

"Greyhound" - Eh, this is enjoyable enough and Tom Hanks knows how to carry a film. However I found aspects of it to be overdone or a bit silly.

"Finch" - Another Tom Hanks film saved by Tom Hanks. Again, enjoyable enough, but otherwise nothing that hasn't been done before and not particularly memorable.

"The Year Earth Changed" - What can I say, I'm a sucker for Attenborough nature docs. This was definitely had a unique perspective.

Didn't get around to these but want to watch when I renew

"See" - The synopsis seems cool, though I had heard bad things about season 1. Apparently season 2 is much improved, so want to check this out.
"Trying" - This speaks personally to some challenges my wife and I have had with infertility, so it was a little raw to try to watch this over the last year. Want to give it a shot whenever I renew though.

Any other suggestions much appreciated!

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 27, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

"Dr. Brain" is good. It's a K-Drama adaptation manhwa. Or in other words it's Korean drama that is adapted from a comic book. It isn't going to give "Squid Game" or "Kingdom" a run for their money, but it has an interesting concept and is worth the watch even though the show occasionally presents some questionable logic.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Solaris 2.0 posted:

"See" - The synopsis seems cool, though I had heard bad things about season 1. Apparently season 2 is much improved, so want to check this out.

Definitely give See a try. I'd also suggest Servant.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Was there a popular opinion on 1971? It's a series on the relationship between culture change and music. We liked it, although it's almost more of a history doc than a music doc.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Chairman Capone posted:

Definitely give See a try. I'd also suggest Servant.

seconding these recs.

I enjoyed S1 of See, haven't seen but maybe 2 episodes of S2 though. Jonathan Tropper of Banshee fame is now the showrunner, so that may be why S2 is apparently a step up.

Servant is worth it for Lauren Ambrose and Rupert Grint, especially watching the latter get drunk

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've only seen the first episode, but I'm not a fan of the new soundtrack or opening titles sequence for See's second season. It's so so much worse than the first season's.

Swagger is pretty good as well, if people are looking for TV recommendations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
What exactly is Dickinson? I like Hailee Steinfeld, so I wanted to give that show a chance. But it's really weird and I don't think it's for me. Honestly, real life Emily Dickinson has an intensely boring biography, so it feels weird that such a show exists in the first place. The woman barely left her room and never went outside her town.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

What exactly is Dickinson? I like Hailee Steinfeld, so I wanted to give that show a chance. But it's really weird and I don't think it's for me. Honestly, real life Emily Dickinson has an intensely boring biography, so it feels weird that such a show exists in the first place. The woman barely left her room and never went outside her town.

It's awesome. It's an offbeat character drama with magical realist elements and odd jokes and excellent lighting. Give it until the end of the fourth episode, and if you don't appreciate it I guess it's not your thing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Seconding Swagger and Servant.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Calls is I think one of the big hidden gems on the service.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Parroting that I really liked "The shrink next door" with Will Ferrell, Paul Rudd and Kathryn Hahn.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was brought to my attention today that Hannah Waddingham (Rebecca on “Ted Lasso”) is the woman who follows Cersei around saying “SHAME” on “Game of Thrones” and I’ll let you guys know when I reconstitute my brain from this puddle on the floor.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Turns out all you have to do to win an Emmy is get actively tortured by D+D for hours on end

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Where's my Emmy then?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That loving dragon should have melted all their trophies instead

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Central Park's songs are very catchy and I usually don't even like musicals.

Right now the song that's stuck in my head is the Rats one. I will refrain from singing "Gotta find em, gotta kill em" in public though.

red dead
May 30, 2011

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Feature Films

"Boys State" - Go Steven Go. :smith:

"Greyhound" - Eh, this is enjoyable enough and Tom Hanks knows how to carry a film. However I found aspects of it to be overdone or a bit silly.

"Finch" - Another Tom Hanks film saved by Tom Hanks. Again, enjoyable enough, but otherwise nothing that hasn't been done before and not particularly memorable.

"The Year Earth Changed" - What can I say, I'm a sucker for Attenborough nature docs. This was definitely had a unique perspective.

Didn't get around to these but want to watch when I renew

"Trying" - This speaks personally to some challenges my wife and I have had with infertility, so it was a little raw to try to watch this over the last year. Want to give it a shot whenever I renew though.

Really enjoyed Trying. Very sweet, heartfelt comedy - has reduced me to tears at the end of a few episodes though. Esther Smith is fantastic.

As for feature films, Coda is an amazing movie on Apple TV if you haven't seen it yet. In the running for some awards this year.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Apple TV is getting a Monsterverse series so we can all excitedly post about 4 minutes of Godzilla fighting Things over an hour long show

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Invasion is so aggressively channelling The Leftovers, down to the subplot about the woman who fantasises about abandoning her family. But even more broadly, you've got the existential crisis as filtered through a genre metaphor-- in the Leftovers, it's the sudden and dramatic imposition of loss, but in Invasion, the titular Invasion is used to represent... what? Each subplot seems to represent a different conglomeration of ideas, some about the effects if bigotry, one about American occupation (a literal 'invasion' in some not particularly purposeful parallel that's being drawn here).

The season has just stopped midseason to do a standalone Spielberg style home invasion set piece for a whole episode, and it's great, but, like, what is this about?

Oh the shows both this show and athe Leftovers have a Max Richter score.

Goldshifteh Farahani is very very good in this. Just a fantastic actress in everything I've ever seen her in. She's so naturally likeable that she sells so much of this dopey poo poo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Afterparty. Loving it. Episode one Fascinating how you get thr vibe that the love of his life desperately wants to be somewhere else the entire episode, and all the randos who get in the way of their reunion cliche are actually trying to keep him away from her.

All these signs that it's "not the right moment" are because she's not that into you bro.

I'm hoping Ben Schwartz, who's looking guiltliest to me after thus one episode, ends up not being the killer and hooks up with the guy from Fleabag or whatever.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 29, 2022

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What? She seemed incredibly into him the entire time. Obviously that was told from his perspective but I don’t remember catching anything in the not-mind-movie part that made her seem disinterested. Maybe I missed it

I also have no idea where you are getting your read on Ben Schwartz from. I feel like you and I watched two different shows

Great first episode!

blue squares fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 29, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I gotta agree. I feel like you’re bringing a lot of that stuff to the table yourself, Idiom.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
So it would be too obvious if the killer in Afterparty is the guy who just keeps asking everyone in every ep if they remember him, right?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Argue posted:

So it would be too obvious if the killer in Afterparty is the guy who just keeps asking everyone in every ep if they remember him, right?

Yeah, kinda.
I am looking forward to see what his perspective on reality is.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like he doesn’t have an episode, unless it’s the one called “High School”.

One theory I have is that the note they found is lyrics Xavier was writing and will turn out to be completely useless

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It’s pretty obvious that the guy asking if people remember him didn’t actually attend the school and is just there for his own reasons, unclear if that makes him likely to be the murderer though.

The songs in Ben Schwarz’s episode are all great and very catchy!

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Loving Afterparty so far, every episode is so fascinating and charming. You get a really great feel for each character and how they operate so easily in the show's format.

I actually kind of agree with Idiom that there's moments where it seems like Zoe's just not that into Aniq, but I think the fact that she's interested in talking with him and sympathetic outside of his mind movie sort of dispels that for me and Chelsea seems to genuinely think Aniq's worth giving a shot. Still, there's a chance it could go wrong.

At the same time, there's some weird poo poo going on with Zoe. If each part of the opening corresponds to a different upcoming episode on the list, why does hers involve a woman turning into a bear.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Looks like he doesn’t have an episode, unless it’s the one called “High School”.

One theory I have is that the note they found is lyrics Xavier was writing and will turn out to be completely useless

Vindication!!!!!!!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I was thinking along the same lines until the reveal in this ep, but now I'm wondering if there's more to it.

I stand by the idea that it's Yasper, though my earlier belief that Zoe wasn't into Aniq is looking basically impossible at this point -- they really want us to think she's the one who drew on Aniq though.

I really like how this episode was shot, btw. I don't think the show did as much with its visuals on Chelsea's horror ep, so it was nice to have an entire episode that was very aggressive with its genre.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I thought the latest episode of Servant was really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

My new theory for the killer could actually be Ned. Its possible he's still furious about Xavier allegedly sleeping with Chelsea fifteen years ago, he's bothering Xavier throughout the night, and Xavier said in Brett's story that he was interested in sleeping with one of the Jennifers. If Ned believed Xavier was about to "steal" his wife just like he "stole" Chelsea, I think that could make him snap.

That said, part of me really hopes the killer is somehow Culp, just because of the name.