Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I've gone ahead and added Craft to the layout, along with some fixes to the earlier Abilities. I think this version of Craft should be trimmed down and organized so as to make it a bit easier to understand, but I also went ahead and added quick summary boxes for the Power and Experience sections to give you a simple overview of what the difference is between each of those Charms.

I also added a bunch of profession-specific Charms for effects that aren't tied straight to the main crafting subsystem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
A silly idea suddenly came to me: a martial arts style themed after both chefs and crabs, plus a unique artifact pair of giant combat tongs (using the dire chain statline). Of course it would be compatible with heavy armor (the heavier the better, in fact), but I haven't thought of any other good gimmicks yet past that and scuttling about to get past movement limitations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Roadie posted:

A silly idea suddenly came to me: a martial arts style themed after both chefs and crabs, plus a unique artifact pair of giant combat tongs (using the dire chain statline). Of course it would be compatible with heavy armor (the heavier the better, in fact), but I haven't thought of any other good gimmicks yet past that and scuttling about to get past movement limitations.

i assume it would be able to model this cinematic martial arts duel

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I've now finished through Integrity, which required a lot more going-over than I expected. In particular it was really short on entry-point Charms and had at least one defensive Charm that only defends against bullshit attacks that shouldn't and (as far as I know) don't exist.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Rand Brittain posted:

I've now finished through Integrity, which required a lot more going-over than I expected. In particular it was really short on entry-point Charms and had at least one defensive Charm that only defends against bullshit attacks that shouldn't and (as far as I know) don't exist.

Woah woah woah you better not be talking about Destiny-Manifesting Method. I don't know what's written that would actually trigger DMM but it's been a lot of fun for my group in play. A few examples:

* A marauding Ishvara who had the power to Deprotagonize: anyone afflicted with this curse couldn't roll more than 3 successes (before opposition, difficulty, etc) on any action or put up a Defense or Soak higher than 3, and was always attacked as though an unworthy opponent. My character had DMM keyed to ten Melee Charms and therefore could still strike and parry as a Solar.

* An ancient earth dragon's breath weapon petrified (more specifically, crystallized) anything it damaged. The Zenith Caste was betting on avoiding it using her normal Evasion, failed, and got turned into a quartz statue of herself... but, thankfully, her Bureaucracy and Presence DMMs meant that she instead became this sort of humming idol of virtue capable of subsequently talking the dragon down.

* The awful power of the first-ever Getimian plunged the Circle into a parallel timeline in which all of their Exaltations had been interrupted or shifted onto different parties somehow, but the same Zenith (who was now a Dragon-Blood) still had access to the relevant Solar Charm trees which allowed her to, among other things, help a Sidereal ally through a ton of paperwork in the course of undoing this mess.

Now, I understand that expecting people to just buy DMM sight-unseen in the expectation that the Storyteller will do something fun with it isn't exactly ideal, so either giving the Charm a base low-level effect (social manipulation or Psyche-tagged magic can't stop you from employing the tagged skills to further your real intimacies) or even making the Charm some baseline element of the Solar template (for each dot of Essence, you get one free instance of this effect) are probably good ideas. But, I wouldn't want to see it purged entirely.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ferrinus posted:

Woah woah woah you better not be talking about Destiny-Manifesting Method. I don't know what's written that would actually trigger DMM but it's been a lot of fun for my group in play. A few examples:

Your group sounds dope. Any advice on finding an Exalted group like that?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

No, I'm talking about Phoenix Renewal Tactic, which is only usable against attacks "with no clear defense."

I left DMM mostly the same except that it just asks you for a short concept instead of ten short Charms.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Quackles posted:

Your group sounds dope. Any advice on finding an Exalted group like that?

Sell your existing friends on Exalted rather than seeking out strangers who happen to like Exalted.

Rand Brittain posted:

No, I'm talking about Phoenix Renewal Tactic, which is only usable against attacks "with no clear defense."

I left DMM mostly the same except that it just asks you for a short concept instead of ten short Charms.

Ah, that's fair. I kind of like the ultimate test of will mechanic PRT creates even though there's nothing for it to do it for, so I could see keeping the charm and having it either work on fiat attacks with no clear defense or 1/story on Psyche, Shaping, or other "boy I bet you wish you hadn't failed this saving throw" stuff that you already failed to stop.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ferrinus posted:

Sell your existing friends on Exalted rather than seeking out strangers who happen to like Exalted.

I mostly play tabletop with one friend online, where one of us DMs and has two 'PCs' and the other has three 'PCs' at once.

It works for rules-light games (PbtA). I think for Exalted the complexity would kill us.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Quackles posted:

I mostly play tabletop with one friend online, where one of us DMs and has two 'PCs' and the other has three 'PCs' at once.

It works for rules-light games (PbtA). I think for Exalted the complexity would kill us.

Find one more player and go to town. I ST'd ~70ish sessions of Exalted 3e with two players (Night, Eclipse) and it worked quite well. I honestly wouldn't want to play 3e with more than three PCs at this point.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Hello friends
My group played 3E many moons ago, back when it was fresh out the kickstarter and we loved the setting... But we still make fun of how over complicated the system was even today.

I just found out they've funded Exalted Essence and there's a pre release available for folks who backed it.
Is it bad? I don't see anyone talking about it here, which gives me the spook.
If so, are there any good resources in 2021 to make 3E easier to get into and play? (or homebrew out a bunch of the more obtuse rules)

Interested to know if I could persuade my friends to try it again now there's more maturity in the system

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

kaffo posted:

I just found out they've funded Exalted Essence and there's a pre release available for folks who backed it.
Is it bad? I don't see anyone talking about it here, which gives me the spook.
It's not necessarily that it's bad, but the KS manuscript release process basically went "hey this sounds pretty good" "wow this could be great or terrible depending on the next few sections" "oh, that's not ideal" "oh! oh no!!" as it became more and more apparent which sections of the rules were actually being trimmed down to efficient and better versions, and which were just being chopped up and partially-discarded in weird, lopsided ways. For people with experience or familiarity with the Storypath system (the new editions of the Scion and Trinity games), it was unfortunate too because I think some of us went into it assuming a system would come out looking closer to that system's streamlining, but instead got something that's half as long by being just, half as done.

Since the manuscript preview it's also become that the ExEss devs didn't understand the point or existence of one of the exalt types at all, or want to write them (Liminals), so they half-assed their implementation. So for those of us who were interested in getting a preview of them without waiting for their book to come out (some time before we all die), it left an extra-sour taste.

LimitedReagent
Oct 5, 2008
Despite the manuscript being very rough in parts (looking at you, weapon and armor stats), I still think Exalted Essence plays better than 3e. I still need to houserule it a bit to buff out the rough parts, but that's still less effort than I'd need to put in to get 3e into a state that I'd actually want to play it again. And my group's other players' eyes don't glaze over trying to deal with all the Charms and mechanics.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

There was a fair amount of discussion about it when the kickstarter was running. If you want to go back and read that, it starts here and continues for... ten more pages, looks like.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Jesus that was a lot of reading. But I get the gist of it now. Thanks for the link to the post there!
As my friends know NOTHING about Exalted except for "cool over the top demi god fights from the East" I think I'm still gonna give ExEss a go even if it's got it's flaws.

Maybe it'll spur them into learning 3E or maybe we'll have a 3.5 by then, who knows. But I'd love to get them doing stuff in the setting as I know it's so up our street.

To the poster above who mentioned homebrew for ExEss, what is it you've changed?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I've now finished my rewrite through Investigation, which is mostly just cleaned up, but a few Charms were changed to make their activation slightly more under the player's control.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I wound up going a little crazy on the Larceny Ability, because I've been watching a lot of Lupin III lately and I had a tremendous amount of fun with these.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

kaffo posted:

Jesus that was a lot of reading. But I get the gist of it now. Thanks for the link to the post there!
As my friends know NOTHING about Exalted except for "cool over the top demi god fights from the East" I think I'm still gonna give ExEss a go even if it's got it's flaws.

Maybe it'll spur them into learning 3E or maybe we'll have a 3.5 by then, who knows. But I'd love to get them doing stuff in the setting as I know it's so up our street.

To the poster above who mentioned homebrew for ExEss, what is it you've changed?

If what you really want to be playing is 3E, I suggest making the ExEss experiment explicitly a short run, otherwise you're going to wind up stuck with it. Inertia is hard to overcome, and a short series lets you do a "Creation's Greatest Hits" thing where you can highlight parts of the setting you think will grab your players and make them want to engage with the learning required for the more intense system.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

I wound up going a little crazy on the Larceny Ability, because I've been watching a lot of Lupin III lately and I had a tremendous amount of fun with these.

Fate Blinks First is an incredible phrase, FYI.

LimitedReagent
Oct 5, 2008

kaffo posted:

Weapon stats and tags, mostly since how the Ranged and Thrown tags work as written is pretty strange. Basically equalizing melee and ranged weapon stats, then giving ranged weapons the choice of optimal ranges; any attacks outside that range get an accuracy penalty.

I also added a fair number of extra tags, especially for armor, that currently have very few.

Since high soak can really make the game drag (something that's true in 3E too), I made sure any scene long or longer soak boosting charms always count towards the limit. The biggest offender is Iron Skin Concentrations. Having soak 7 is hard enough to deal with, but soak 9 is so much worse.

(On that note, there are ways to deal with high soak, the biggest ones being the gambit Reveal Weakness, piercing tag weapons, and the charm Guard Breaking Technique. I do stress that any fight involving high soak characters should lean into those.)

Oh, and advancement. My group doesn't really like or need RP based advancement, so we hacked together our own milestones.

Might be some other houserules that I'm forgetting but those are the big ones. If you want specifics I can share more.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Mile'ionaha posted:

Fate Blinks First is an incredible phrase, FYI.

Thank you; I was really happy with it.

At first I thought I was having too much fun with Larceny, but then I realized that what I really needed was to go back and let myself have even more fun with the Abilities I'd already gone over.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Rand, I hesitate to even mention this given that it would mean redoing layout for everything you've already done, but it would be incredibly helpful to have charm cascades in this if it's at all possible to squeeze them in.

Blue Winds' rewrite managed it and they are just so useful.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Rand, I hesitate to even mention this given that it would mean redoing layout for everything you've already done, but it would be incredibly helpful to have charm cascades in this if it's at all possible to squeeze them in.

Blue Winds' rewrite managed it and they are just so useful.

It's actually not hard to include those in the layout at all; they aren't part of the text flow, so I can just pop a page with one in wherever I want.

Making them look nice is significantly more work, so if even if I committed to doing one, they still wouldn't appear until every Charm tree is finalized.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I’m going to say it: I think Cathay, in recently-released total war warhammer 3, is very The Realm, and not just because it’s an ancient China pastiche ruled by a caste of “dragon-blooded” warrior-wizards.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I’m going to say it: I think Cathay, in recently-released total war warhammer 3, is very The Realm, and not just because it’s an ancient China pastiche ruled by a caste of “dragon-blooded” warrior-wizards.

It's the Terracotta Sentinels.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Word is the Exigent kickstarter is starting soon. This podcast has its devs talking about it.

https://www.exaltcast.com/2022/04/11/out-of-the-ashes-exigents-preview/

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Talk of Exigents got me inspired to start again on my Solar Charm Rewrite project, which is now laid out through Lore.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Rand Brittain posted:

Talk of Exigents got me inspired to start again on my Solar Charm Rewrite project, which is now laid out through Lore.

Yes!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Thanks!

I've now made it through Medicine, which turned out to be another really fun one. Please let me know if you have any thoughts on the changes I'm making!

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 2, 2022

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Rand Brittain posted:

Thanks!

I've now made it through Medicine, which turned out to be another really fun one. Please let me know if you have any thoughts on the changes I'm making!

Awesome! I can say they read very well, nice and straightforward, but I haven't been able to con anyone in my gaming circle into playing exalted for a loooong while, so I have no direct feedback to offer. I just like quality exalted content.

edit
link is dead, so it goes.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Pakxos posted:

Awesome! I can say they read very well, nice and straightforward, but I haven't been able to con anyone in my gaming circle into playing exalted for a loooong while, so I have no direct feedback to offer. I just like quality exalted content.

edit
link is dead, so it goes.

Whoops, it looks like Dropbox kills the link whenever I re-export, but it's fixed now.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Crion posted:

I will say however we've had a really hard time incorporating White Veil Style into even that character's play...until now. It's just so wonky and hard to use when everyone in the group isn't on the same page. Now that everyone in the hearth knows her deal, however, that's a bunch of stealth checks she doesn't have to pass and a bunch of accomplices she has in the weird social combat zone, so it'll be really interesting to see if that makes a difference.

Guess what. I finally got to use that poo poo and it ruled. My House Iselsi DB used The Dragon Dies Screaming on the target, an insane elder Cathak who killed half her house back in the day and reveled in it, during a parlay over circumstances too crazy to succinctly describe here (they involved the Empress and also my Solar PC from a previous game exalting into an NPC), bullied his evil sniveling son into telling her when said elder would be alone and vulnerable because he was secretly helping the Deathknights, then confronted him as the poison metabolized and ended up doing the Bryan Danielson wrist capture headstomps to him while telling him to find her in his next life if he still held the sort of grudge she did. An excellent style for all assassins and killers of men.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Exigents Indiegogo up and funded; Chapters 1 and 2 (the nature of Exigence and Great Forks) already previewed, Chapters 3 and 4 (Traits and Charm creation), dropping today.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/exigents-out-of-the-ashes-for-exalted-3rd-edition/x/25998874

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Exigents is looking really good.

So good, in fact, that I was forced to get back on my bullshit and finish my Solar Charms rewrite through Melee. For Melee, as with most of the combat Abilities, I didn't make many functional changes, but I think you'll find this version much easier to read and use.

This time, I'm experimenting with using Dicier to represent die results in yet another effort to increase readability. Please let me know what you think!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Now I find myself working on Occult, which is yet another Ability where I really wish I could just start rewriting the systems underlying the whole thing, because man it is frustrating that you can't really meaningfully upgrade a spell.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

What I want to see in Occult is as straightforward a sorcery booster as Lunars get in Intelligence. There's Ancient Tongue Understanding and its Miracles upgrade, but A) it isn't even any good until you have Essence 2 or 3 or something and B) the two Charms are actually anti-synergistic because the more autosuccesses you're getting from the first, the fewer total dice you can roll and therefore enjoy 10-again on from the second.

There's that weird sorcery booster in Lore, I guess.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Rand Brittain posted:

Now I find myself working on Occult, which is yet another Ability where I really wish I could just start rewriting the systems underlying the whole thing, because man it is frustrating that you can't really meaningfully upgrade a spell.

I don't see why you couldn't upgrade a spell with a charm using the existing systems. Just have a charm that uses that spell as a pre-requisite and have its effect be "This charm permanently upgrades <SPELL NAME>. It now has <UPGRADE EFFECT>"

Binding The Green Sun To Noon
Cost: -, Mins: Occult 4, Essence 1
Type: Permanent
Keywords: None
Duration: Permanent
Prerequisite Charms: Demon of the First Circle

Such is the unrelenting might of the Unconquered Sun that it may shine even in Malfeas for a time. This charm permanently upgrades Demon of the First Circle, allowing it to be cast in a ritual starting at sunrise and ending at noon in addition to its normal casting option.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Kaza42 posted:

I don't see why you couldn't upgrade a spell with a charm using the existing systems. Just have a charm that uses that spell as a pre-requisite and have its effect be "This charm permanently upgrades <SPELL NAME>. It now has <UPGRADE EFFECT>"

Well, in theory, but since I want this to be a general-use project, it needs to be something that can just be slotted in in place of the original Charmset.

Anyway, I've now finished the rewrite through Occult, and I'm actually really happy with what Occult looks like now.

Going through and revising all of these Charms really makes it clear that the original 3e Solar Charmset is actually 90% very well designed. It's just hard to tell because most of the Charms are written down backwards, giving out the information to the reader in the wrong order, and have flavor text that's flowery without being explanatory. Cut that out and rearrange it, and you realize that most of it works extremely well together except for a few holes and white elephants.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Rand Brittain posted:

Well, in theory, but since I want this to be a general-use project, it needs to be something that can just be slotted in in place of the original Charmset.

Anyway, I've now finished the rewrite through Occult, and I'm actually really happy with what Occult looks like now.

Going through and revising all of these Charms really makes it clear that the original 3e Solar Charmset is actually 90% very well designed. It's just hard to tell because most of the Charms are written down backwards, giving out the information to the reader in the wrong order, and have flavor text that's flowery without being explanatory. Cut that out and rearrange it, and you realize that most of it works extremely well together except for a few holes and white elephants.

Stalwart Sorcerer’s Hand says 1m/success in the text, but 2m/success in the cost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

As-written All-Encompassing Sorcerer's Sight is pretty clear about applying to non-Charm magic - you can use it to analyze a spell or evocation, but not, like, a Heavenly Guardian Defense. I'm not sure if you mean to expand it or not but I'd probably spend a little more wordcount on what kind of stuff is within the Sight's remit regardless.