Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

made my first Chemex coffee. Was smooth & good, but maybe not strong enough. Gonna have to try a bit finer grounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

I’m at the coughee shop

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

MononcQc posted:

made my first Chemex coffee. Was smooth & good, but maybe not strong enough. Gonna have to try a bit finer grounds.

Add a bit more coffee instead if you want stronger.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

taking the shortcut path to power again this afternoon

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
just because it’s easy doesn’t mean it’s bad

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011
bean supply dangerously low.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
> GET BEANS

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

i finally acquired a gooseneck jug so that I could attempt a real pour over coffee for the first time in my life

googled some stuff, found wildly different suggestions for grind size, temperatures and pour time, picked a grind at random

had to do some geometry to figure out how much water was in my ice cubes because the tray has multiple sizes and what are you going to do, weigh ice? (yes, that's exactly what you should do. ice is matter. it has mass.)

realized my $15 kettle doesn't actually go to 100C but maybe gets to 91 or 92 if you run it a couple more times after the first auto-shutoff

discovered it's actually quite hard to maintain a 2 minute pour without running out of water, even with the gooseneck

anyway somehow absolutely nailed it, strongest least bitter most flavourful coffee i've ever had that wasn't made by a cafe barista (and better than a few that were)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i weigh ice. my normal ice cube tray makes 30 gram cubes and the big ice cube tray makes 50 gram cubes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

idk why you’d want ice for coffee though? coffee is a hot beverage

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

91-92 territory might be normal? since getting 100 would imply measuring the temperature of the steam

if the vessel is open then a lot of heat is leaving via the steam escaping and leaving behind the cooler water to be measured

also if you're not at sea level then the boil temp is lower

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

some rules of thumb for grind size

water temperature, again in really simplified terms - 95c is "standard", but in practice the range is roughly from 80c (very dark roasts) to 99c (very light roasts)

for water weight, you can just set up your pour over on a food scale. keep in mind that there's going to be like 1-3 second lag for a generic kitchen scale, while it registers the increase and stabilizes. also, ideally, don't flood your scale like i did a few months ago :v:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I don't have one of those fancy electric kettles where you can set the temperature so I just heat the water and wait about 5-10 seconds for it to cool before starting my pour overs.

They've usually come out pretty good.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

91-92 territory might be normal? since getting 100 would imply measuring the temperature of the steam

if the vessel is open then a lot of heat is leaving via the steam escaping and leaving behind the cooler water to be measured

also if you're not at sea level then the boil temp is lower

yeah that makes sense. I got concerned since a lot of sites said you want 91-96 and I thought "oh no my kettle doesn't go that hot". i'm near sea level. maybe it's cooling a lot while I'm fiddling with the thermometer.

food scale is essential!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

cinci zoo sniper posted:

some rules of thumb for grind size

water temperature, again in really simplified terms - 95c is "standard", but in practice the range is roughly from 80c (very dark roasts) to 99c (very light roasts)

for water weight, you can just set up your pour over on a food scale. keep in mind that there's going to be like 1-3 second lag for a generic kitchen scale, while it registers the increase and stabilizes. also, ideally, don't flood your scale like i did a few months ago :v:

nice bristol stool chart

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Boiling water is 100 C at STP, which is sea level. Water doenst immediately turn to steam the second it hits boiling temp, it needs additional energy to complete the phase transition as well. If you aren't getting a full boil from your kettle it is probably turning off a bit too soon. Even in colorado water boils at ~95C. The temp goes up as you approach sea level since there's higher vapor pressure down there

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 28, 2021

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

fisting by many posted:

yeah that makes sense. I got concerned since a lot of sites said you want 91-96 and I thought "oh no my kettle doesn't go that hot". i'm near sea level. maybe it's cooling a lot while I'm fiddling with the thermometer.

food scale is essential!

When's the last time you calibrated your thermometer?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

SimonSays posted:

When's the last time you calibrated your thermometer?

"what the hell is calibration???"

- the quality & testing department at my company

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

one of our spl meters around here has an indicator saying the last time it was calibrated was 1998

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

fart simpson posted:

nice bristol stool chart

It's normalized to coffee drinker poops.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Aw yeah

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i’m sorry, you posted that in the coffee thread

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mediaphage posted:

candians drink coffee from bags

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

gift cards can be redeemed for goods and services!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

try the Justin Bieber donut holes things and report back OP

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

someone bought me a tim hortons americano the other day, here in china. it was alright i guess.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fart simpson posted:

someone bought me a tim hortons americano the other day, here in china. it was alright i guess.

out of curiosity, do foreign brands get localised in china? for example, in russia they rewrite names into russian

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

cinci zoo sniper posted:

out of curiosity, do foreign brands get localised in china? for example, in russia they rewrite names into russian

sometimes but not always. so like, coca cola is 可口可乐 (ke kou ke le) stylized in a similar cursive as the english logo, but tim hortons is just a big TIMS

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

interesting, i had incorrectly assumed that everything gets localised

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i think the brands that were here a long time ago and/or take the market seriously tend to localize their name and logo into chinese, but the brands that are just trying to make a quick buck dont

e: also english is seen as more "cool" than chinese so some of the high end brands like prada and rolex are probably deliberately not localizing to play into that cool/exclusive image of being in english

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 29, 2021

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
when I was In China in like 2007, Starbucks was still Starbucks and I could order in English

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

huge failure that keeps trying and bombing out of the chinese market:

huge mega success that is here to stay:

also in some places in china mcdonalds coffee is literally the best you're gonna find

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Chris Knight posted:

when I was In China in like 2007, Starbucks was still Starbucks and I could order in English

yeah because starbucks is seen as somewhat upscale and "cool"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

AnimeIsTrash posted:

try the Justin Bieber donut holes things and report back OP

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fart simpson posted:

i think the brands that were here a long time ago and/or take the market seriously tend to localize their name and logo into chinese, but the brands that are just trying to make a quick buck dont

e: also english is seen as more "cool" than chinese so some of the high end brands like prada and rolex are probably deliberately not localizing to play into that cool/exclusive image of being in english

ee also had that “cool” factor, but what it results in is random use of english words that make you look like an utter dunce, e.g., lame kids drink apple “juice” but you drink apple fresh

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

fart simpson posted:

sometimes but not always. so like, coca cola is 可口可乐 (ke kou ke le) stylized in a similar cursive as the english logo, but tim hortons is just a big TIMS

in korea there is "coca-cola" but also 펩시 (pepsi)

i guess that's weird

another funny thing: all the cosmetic stores like innisfree, etude house, olive young are written and branded in english... except in seoul's touristy insadong area, where those storefronts are in hangeul with a generic font

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011
goingto have a second pot of coffee today.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

holy poo poo i just made a two shot decaf americano that was frankly just really good coffee?? the roast looks black as sin (but doesn’t taste it) and it’s been ominously cracking about a bean every twenty minutes for hours now

i’ve mentioned this before but i thought some of the fast food branding in france was pretty good. mcdo does a localized french monopoly game. they ran a tour of the states promotion when i was there in college some time ago. i ordered. gently caress. i dunno the mcwyoming? the mcwisconsin? it was a mcnugget except inside was tomatoes and cheese instead of chicken. went with the heineken on the menu lol.

also i dunno if this has changed in the intervening era but the large drink was a whopping 20oz

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the last one hasn’t, large drinks in most of european fast food ive had don’t exceed 500ml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
coffee time