Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Did Dexter just leave the dead guy under a tarp, with both of their blood all over the place, at the summer camp teenagers routinely break into to drink at? How much you guys whanna bet nothing comes of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He'll use that as a training scenario for Harrison.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tofu Injection posted:

Did Dexter just leave the dead guy under a tarp, with both of their blood all over the place, at the summer camp teenagers routinely break into to drink at? How much you guys whanna bet nothing comes of this?

What part of Peak Dexter do you not understand?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Is it...possible he launched himself out of the backseat at the point of impact so that he would go flying out? He's not a dumb guy and has at least some understanding of physics.

Tofu Injection posted:

Did Dexter just leave the dead guy under a tarp, with both of their blood all over the place, at the summer camp teenagers routinely break into to drink at?

My wife and I were chortling at this very fact last night. Bloody doorknob and blood droplets on the floor give DNA proof that he was there. But then I can maybe sort of handwave that as him being in survival mode and not giving a poo poo about the future.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So Kurt has spent 20 years quietly killing people and no one has ever suspected anything.

This episode he tries to murder a child, and probably his father, while his employee watches. No matter how loyal the cut-rate Joker is, that's some poor decision making.

This assumes he was planning on keeping the lackey around after. Which maybe he was, maybe he wasn't, but I'd assume he'd have some sort of contingency plan for when the police chief realises that her boyfriend and his son have gone missing.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
This is turning into Bad Dexter, but at least it's well-made Bad Dexter, which is far above poorly-made Bad Dexter, so I'll keep watching da gorbage.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What part of Peak Dexter do you not understand?

*quietly circles this post with a black pen

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

just as a reminder but dexter was driving over blood spots on the snow earlier in the season

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
this season actually rules okay

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I don't remember if the original series was this way, but this season seems really bad at the whole 'show, don't tell' thing when it comes to plot development and character motivation. Like, I can't think of anything particular right now but the camera will linger on some detail for certainly long enough for you to get it, and then Dexter's head voice will come in and explain everything anyway. It's kind of maddening, like borderline insulting to its audience. Was the original series like this too?

That said, I kind of love it. It's a guilty pleasure of mine. There's way better TV out there, but very little of it does raw catharsis the way Dexter does. Also unlikely escapes - in the meantime while waiting for Better Call Saul to come back, this show is a good fix of "oh man how's he gonna get out of THIS pickle". This season is a lot of fun. Kurt's a scary dude but his backstory didn't really explain much to me, if anything it made him less scary - and other than revenge against Dexter, I'm still not sure what his plan with Harrison was supposed to be in the first place.

Still fun, still looking forward to next episode.

EDIT: I kind of want to go back and rewatch the old series now. What are the good seasons?

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 28, 2021

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

Mister Speaker posted:

I don't remember if the original series was this way, but this season seems really bad at the whole 'show, don't tell' thing when it comes to plot development and character motivation. Like, I can't think of anything particular right now but the camera will linger on some detail for certainly long enough for you to get it, and then Dexter's head voice will come in and explain everything anyway. It's kind of maddening, like borderline insulting to its audience. Was the original series like this too?

EDIT: I kind of want to go back and rewatch the old series now. What are the good seasons?

Every season of the show was like this at all times. The voiceover often seems to exist only to tell the audience stuff that everyone should get by paying atention to the scene, and thats not even getting into the BLACK SUV memes and stuff.

The first two seasons are good in spite of it though and Lithgow makes the 4th watchable. This one is actuallly kind of up there with season 4 in that its REALLY dumb a lot but manages to be competent sometimes, and a couple of performances are pretty solid (Ghost Deb, Kurt) while a couple are hilariously bad (podcast lady and deputy coach, whatever their names are).

if you want to have a great time with Dexter though, get a time machine and watch the last few seasons with this thread open. That was a fun TV experience.

Tofu Injection fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 28, 2021

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Thank you! I was going to ask which season Lithgow was in, even just the flashbacks remind me how absolutely chilling his character was. I figured as much about the contrived exposition, too. Was the season with EJO any good?

EDIT: Yes, Ghost Deb and Kurt are easily the best parts of this season.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

Mister Speaker posted:

Thank you! I was going to ask which season Lithgow was in, even just the flashbacks remind me how absolutely chilling his character was. I figured as much about the contrived exposition, too. Was the season with EJO any good?

EDIT: Yes, Ghost Deb and Kurt are easily the best parts of this season.

The Olmos season was hilarious for the GIFs this thread produced from it at any rate. But nah that was when it was on a big decline. Wasn't Olmos' fault obviously.

E: When I watched the first episode of this a I remember thinking "oh its kind of cool they aren't doing the voiceover, not using the head ghost like a hammer, actually letting the scene do some work. kind of boring so far but I dig the setup and the new, more subtle angle". Then of course as soon as Dexter beans the guy they go right back to the voiceover.

Tofu Injection fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 28, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mister Speaker posted:

Was the season with EJO any good?

That season is worth watching while reading the thread because of the goons who steadfastly refused to accept he was a Head Ghost.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Needed more Ghost Deb and also Ghost Deb needed to do crazier things.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm halfway through season 2 and I don't remember it being so bad the first time I watched it. It reminds me that manic pixie movies were big at the time and that's all Lila is, and I've come to hate her accent.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That season is worth watching while reading the thread because of the goons who steadfastly refused to accept he was a Head Ghost.
I STILL INSIST THAT HAVING YOUR HEAD GHOST CALL YOU ON THE PHONE IS COMPLETE BULLSHIT

I look forward to someone re-watching the season and informing me that at no point does the head ghost actually talk on the phone and I've somehow constructed a memory to defend myself.

Can anyone link to the old thread(s)?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 28, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Olmos season was real stupid but Olmos' scenes were good. The weird part is that this is also the case for season 4, only obviously with Lithgow instead. Like one of the subplots was Batista and LaGuerta dating and eventually getting married, and it was the worst subplot of the series because it didn't even have the sense to be funny. At least everything in season 6 was so stupid it was entertaining.

I'm also personally a fan of the Jimmy Smits season because Smits is a gem. This show has had some real likable villains.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I love the ease of access of streaming stuff and I do enjoy a good binge but holy poo poo do I miss the live threads on SA. Counting the corpses on 24, arguing about whether Walt poisoned Brock, etc.

Sons of Anarchy was a god awful show past the first 2 seasons but damned if I didn't tune in every week so I could laugh about it with goons.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

dexter this season has hit a balance between being bad enough to be unintentional comedy, while also being entertaining enough that i'm excited every sunday to watch it.

that's not a common thing. usually bad shows are mostly boring and only funny enough to watch some clips of the highlights on youtube. dexter is consistently ridiculous and badly written while having an interesting plot where i don't care what happens but still have to know what bullshit they have up their sleeves this week.

before it started i thought it was either going to be poo poo or good, not both.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So what is this guy taxiderming these women into

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So what is this guy taxiderming these women into

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is he actually taxiderming the victims? I remember seeing him draining blood from a body into a bucket, but that's it. Was there embalming fluid or something else I missed?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Burger meat for the truck stop.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Mister Speaker posted:

Is he actually taxiderming the victims? I remember seeing him draining blood from a body into a bucket, but that's it. Was there embalming fluid or something else I missed?

He dressed the last one in some kind of white dress, so he's doing something with them.

But it's Dexter so who knows what's going on.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah he's doing some kind of preservation, probably embalming. That's why he was so upset he shot the one girl in the face and couldn't patch her up to look good.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Dude changed awful fast into his kill outfit. Like that was super bowl costume change fast. Very impressive mr Caldwell!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

George H.W. oval office posted:

Dude changed awful fast into his kill outfit. Like that was super bowl costume change fast. Very impressive mr Caldwell!

It's because it wasn't him, it was his TWIN BROTHER DUN DUN DUNNNNN

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Medullah posted:

It's because it wasn't him, it was his TWIN BROTHER DUN DUN DUNNNNN

Burt Caldwell

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

God, I loving hope we get this twist.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

George H.W. oval office posted:

Burt Cladwell

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

itry posted:

Burt Cladwell

You beautiful son of a bitch :golfclap:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I completely forgot Mike from Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul was in season 2. Deputy director Adams.

Took a minute to recognize him without facial hair.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You know he was in Beverly Hills Cop too right?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I feel like that's something I knew, but can't say for sure. I like him in pretty much everything I've seen him in. He made the last season of Community watchable, as did Keith David.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Here he is as THE BOY in Linda's Film on Menstruation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE5ci3dMbu4&t=71s

You can kind of tell this kid was meant to grow into the platonic ideal of a grumpy ol man

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Theory I've seen elsewhere: Molly is already dead.

She didn't appear in this episode and the previous one ended with Kurt watching her. Then when Kurt was on the phone he seemed to be working on a body.

She's served her purpose of introducing Angela to the Bay Harbor Butcher.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

mm, that would be good actually if kurt just reveals her body to dexter at some point who doesn't know she's dead. if they had the restraint not to do a molly's missing plot leading up to it, it would have definitely surprised me. of course, now it won't.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Senor Tron posted:

Theory I've seen elsewhere: Molly is already dead.

She didn't appear in this episode and the previous one ended with Kurt watching her. Then when Kurt was on the phone he seemed to be working on a body.

She's served her purpose of introducing Angela to the Bay Harbor Butcher.

No way. Molly's gonna kill Kurt with her awesome nunchuck skills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PostNouveau posted:

No way. Molly's gonna kill Kurt with her awesome nunchuck skills

That's Audrey. Molly is the podcaster.